Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy Neighbours

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Also a toddler running around at 11pm?

That doesn't bode well.

Again if you're renting I'd just move. If you've bought I'd kick up an almighty fuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭FriendsEV

riemann wrote: »
    Also a toddler running around at 11pm?

That doesn't bode well.

Again if you're renting I'd just move. If you've bought I'd kick up an almighty fuss.

They run around alot before bed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I own the apartment so moving isn't an option. I only hear the child moving around, never hear tv or anything else or if I do it's almost minimal. It's only from the child, it's the impact noise.

Also to the people saying it's expected noise from a child, you wouldn't be saying that if you were in my position. Is it expected for the child to be doing this until 11.15pm (last week) and 10.30pm (when it finally stopped tonight). Anyway I've emailed management and I've a few things to check up on tomorrow in our contracts etc.

wherever you live, house or apartment, you'll get the sound of children, be it apartment or house, .you really can't stop a small child from running around, when they are older they settle down, I don't know what age that will happen. 6-8?!

Is it wooden floors?

Can you ask the parents or the landlord of properly to soundproof the floor to decrease the noise... Or..

That's just not true, especially in a new build considering the currency building standards.

Its almost certainty a timber floor, if not paper mache.

My apt is 15 years old, not particularly well built and the only noise i hear from upstairs is the washing machine once in a blue moon when it's on a particularly vicious cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Klonker wrote: »
    I own the apartment so moving isn't an option. I only hear the child moving around, never hear tv or anything else or if I do it's almost minimal. It's only from the child, it's the impact noise.

Also to the people saying it's expected noise from a child, you wouldn't be saying that if you were in my position. Is it expected for the child to be doing this until 11.15pm (last week) and 10.30pm (when it finally stopped tonight). Anyway I've emailed management and I've a few things to check up on tomorrow in our contracts etc.

Impact noise of the little feet???

Do you hear anyone else walking around?

• Advertisement

Its a 10kg toddler

Get onto management about shoddy sound insulation

Wasting your time asking parents to ask a toddler to stop running :) It can't be done and shouldn't be done

lawred2 wrote: »

Impact noise of the little feet???

Do you hear anyone else walking around?

Yes I hear the little steps, he runs from one end of the room and back and does this for hours with little breaks in between. I can hear other steps but very minimal, not an issue at all. It's just the child who is causing the unbearable noise.

Could OP pay to put carpet down if it is the wooden floor or get it soundproofed

I have lived in apartments too and never experienced anything like this

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭cocaliquid

Had the same problem except child was running until 3.am in the morning later found out none of the family wore shoes inside. Parents making a lot of noise as well moving furniture dropping stuff. Your management company should have house rules in place. Fine the owner of the apartment if they are broken.

@FriendsEV

Not even after 11pm, no? Or the fact I have not once seen the parents bring the child out in the communal outside area?
    And me pay for their carpet, is that a joke?

• Advertisement

@FriendsEV

Not even after 11pm, no? Or the fact I have not once seen the parents bring the child out in the communal outside area?
    And me pay for their carpet, is that a joke?

Why stop there, just buy them a new apartment somewhere else.

It would be the decent thing to do, maybe a new car aswell to sweeten the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

That's just not true, especially in a new build considering the currency building standards.

My apt is 15 years old, not particularly well built and the only noise i hear from upstairs is the washing machine once in a blue moon when it's on a particularly vicious cycle.

I'm living in the same apartment for over 15 years, with wood floors above, don't think there has ever been toddlers living above as I've never heard any 'kid' noises or any footsteps, I do hear the odd Drop of something, like, keys, coins or the remote..

Has anyone ever had a mouse running between their floorboards,?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭imp1

MDY Construction Ltd. How would I go about getting the testing results? Would they have tested every apartment individually?

Not all apartments in a development would be tested, but enough to get representative results, yours might, or might not have been tested. From what you describe it sounds like they might have laid laminate or other similar loose finish over the structural part of the floor. Laminate laid without underlay may give the effect you are experiencing. Part E impact testing would be carried out on the builders finish floor, and not a carpeted or laminate floor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭Pretzeluck

Bought an apartment and then act surprised that other people are causing issues. Would never live in an apartment unless it was a choice between apartment or being homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Pretzeluck wrote: »
    Bought an apartment and then act surprised that other people are causing issues. Would never live in an apartment unless it was a choice between apartment or being homeless.

For some that is the choice.

Pretzeluck wrote: »

I'd expect to hear a bit of noise but not like this. This is not normal noise you'd expect to hear in an apartment.

imp1 wrote: »
    MDY Construction Ltd. How would I go about getting the testing results? Would they have tested every apartment individually?

Not all apartments in a development would be tested, but enough to get representative results, yours might, or might not have been tested. From what you describe it sounds like they might have laid laminate or other similar loose finish over the structural part of the floor. Laminate laid without underlay may give the effect you are experiencing. Part E impact testing would be carried out on the builders finish floor, and not a carpeted or laminate floor.

Thanks, I think first port of call is check the Part E sound testing, if all that seems to be up to scratch the neighbours flooring will be next focus point. I really think they haven't used the current underlay, if any at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

I've had first hand experience with this, we had temporary tenants upstairs for a month, a lovely couple from India who had two children.

Sweet jesus the children were still running around at 2am some nights.

I flipped out in the end and really lost it with the father after him not dealing with it, went quiet after that.

I can tell you now that there are ways to fix that issue, I have put down those giant jigsaw type mats all over the living room in my apartment and the toddler always wears soft slippers, my neighbours downstairs can't here her running about now.

I did that out of decency for my neighbours below, I'm sure your neighbours upstairs could do the same if they wanted but more than likely have no respect for anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

cocaliquid wrote: »
    Had the same problem except child was running until 3.am in the morning later found out none of the family wore shoes inside. Parents making a lot of noise as well moving furniture dropping stuff. Your management company should have house rules in place. Fine the owner of the apartment if they are broken.

is that not a normal thing to do no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

italodisco wrote: »

I can tell you now that there are ways to fix that issue, I have put down those giant jigsaw type mats all over the living room in my apartment and the toddler always wears soft slippers, my neighbours downstairs can't here her running about now.

I did that out of decency for my neighbours below, I'm sure your neighbours upstairs could do the same if they wanted but more than likely have no respect for anyone else

This! My daughter is 2 and like her brother before her and like every toddler she runs around with that weird flat foot run so it sounds like an elephant approaching. Perhaps it's their short feet but toddlers running are way nosier that older kids, they really make their 10Kg count!

We have wooden floors in our apartment and any floor area the kids use is covered in jigsaw play matting, have never had a complaint from downstairs but the kids are well tucked up in bed by 8.30pm at the latest anyway.

If your neighbour wants to fix the issue it should be quite easy for them considering the only noise that's an issue is the kid running around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

lawred2 wrote: »
    is that not a normal thing to do no?

It's fine until they go barefoot, if they are flat foot walkers this equates to a slapping noise on a tiled or wooden floor.

Then there's the heel walkers/pounders

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭M.Cribben

I had a similar problem with an apartment I lived in many years ago now. The lady upstairs used to get up for work at 6am, shower (could hear the water pump), put on high heels and proceed to stomp around the wooden floors for 10-20 mins. It was like someone loudly banging a small pointy hammer on the floor above my bedroom. Every single morning, slowly chipping away at my sanity. Ended up moving and never lived in an apartment since. Not worth the hassle. You can get lucky and never experience these issues with apartment living, but the risk is always there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

We had this in our old appartment, guy down stairs knocked on our door in a very sleep deprived state... turned out it was the apartment next door, onwer stomping around in boot with child doing same shouting at each other....

If I were you OP every time the noise gets bad go up and knock. Is the child wearing shoes, suggest they take them off. It will help no end. If you keep going up eventually they will cop on and start taking off their shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Jeffrey Lebowski

I lived in an apartment both above and below other people.

We had wooden floors that did have the proper underlay.

The neighbour from downstairs came up a few times in a fairly exasperated state complaining of noise. Mostly footsteps and doors closing.

We had those doors that have spring loaded chains so they tended to slam, especially if there is a window open.

So I removed the chains. Problem solved or so I thought.

The management company then got on to me about the complaints. They detailed some of the complaints. Noise from doors, footsteps, alarms, lightswitches (wtf, how is this even possible), showers in the middle of the night (wasn't us).

So I agreed to let them take accoustic tests. Tests were carried out and I never heard from them again.

Then people moved in above me and I got to experience noise from above. There was a toddler doing his thing above. While I could hear this, it was hardly loud enough to make a complaint.

Long story short, the neighbour below had a low tolerance for noise or was just plain crazy (nosiy lightswitches :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Children have run and played since the very dawn of mankind - When you were a child I would guess that you ran at times yourself.

Your issue is 100% with the Building Company and its engineers, architects and scrounging accountants who built and marketed a shoebox construction with inadequate building materials, soundproofing, damping etc between the dwelling areas.

I'd have a lot of sympathy for your position but I'd also ask you to stop holding this poor couple and their child responsible for your plight.

It's clearly a crap, cheaply built apartment - emphasis should now be on making those responsible address this flaw to everybodys satisfaction - you mentioned other people have done this previously - Id be asking them for full details and degrees of success in the hope of putting this in place.

In my opinion you should also buy that poor couple you've been repeatedly troubling a Smyths toys voucher for €50 and apologize for any stress or worry you brought to their door.

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Children have run and played since the very dawn of mankind - When you were a child I would guess that you ran at times yourself.

Your issue is 100% with the Building Company and its engineers, architects and scrounging accountants who built and marketed a shoebox construction with inadequate building materials, soundproofing, damping etc between the dwelling areas.

I'd have a lot of sympathy for your position but I'd also ask you to stop holding this poor couple and their child responsible for your plight.

It's clearly a crap, cheaply built apartment - emphasis should now be on making those responsible address this flaw to everybodys satisfaction - you mentioned other people have done this previously - Id be asking them for full details and degrees of success in the hope of putting this in place.

In my opinion you should also buy that poor couple you've been repeatedly troubling a Smyths toys voucher for €50 and apologize for any stress or worry you brought to their door.

I didn't mention a similar situation, must have been someone else.

I called to their door twice so Im hardly harressing them and once was at 11.15.pm. I suggested they put slippers on his feet and they laughed at this, saying we'll put socks on.

I have sympathy for them as in an ideal world they could do what they want and I wouldnt hear a thing but this isnt the case. Wheres there sympathy to me? If I find out they didn't put the correct flooring I will make them change it and shoe no sympathy, I will be straight onto the council and management company.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭utmbuilder

Assuming the op is a home owner with an asset, could the family above take civil acation against her if her noise complaints are not followed through or held up in court.

So far she has accused them of being welfare cheats, sent letters to the local authority's regarding them while not knowing the status of the house, has called to them twice which is allowed however appears to have some form of the investigation against them without their knowledge.

?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

OP, is the building a timber frame or concrete built?
    The Part E sound transmission testing is done differently innaoartments than in houses, and for this very reason. In apartments we test impact noise through the floors. The problem is that only a % of the units needs to be tested so a similar apartment in another block may have been done, but your exact apartment may not.

In the first instance I would try get hold of the sound transmission test reappear from the builder or the management company or from the Assigned certifier for the build.

Then I’d check what way your apartment is built, ie. is the resilient layers in place as per the regulations as this will give an idea of the other apartments are built ok etc

And finally, where is the apartment block located?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Mango Joe wrote: »

My parents would have smacked me out of it with the wooden spoon if I made enough noise so as a neighbour was bothered by it.

I ran about, outside. We lived in a terraced house and I was well indoctrinated not to make ANY noise that might bother a neighbour.

Because my parents had respect for other people. Something sadly lacking in the parents described in the OPs tale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Mr Heckles?

Advertisement