Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Build up to Berlin European Championships

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,980 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I thought Reid might be in a spot of bother coming off the bend but his finish was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,829 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Wow shocked Gemili was so poor in that semi of the 200m... Might make it as a fastest loser.

Great to have an Irish athlete to cheers on in final!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

:D Reid's a bit cocky but that's sprinters for ya! He's delighted to be wearing the green.

6th fastest qualifier. Will need to run a PB to medal in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

So an african running for israel just won the European 10000. As they say,just saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

ultrapercy wrote: »
    So an african running for israel just won the European 10000. As they say,just saying.
    Not quite as bad as some of the Turkish cases though. The Dutch girl in second was out on her feet towards the end.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Itziger wrote: »
    Not quite as bad as some of the Turkish cases though.

Like a certain Copello...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Itziger wrote: »
    Not quite as bad as some of the Turkish cases though.

At least it could be argued that parts of Turkey are in Europe....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

In fairness she has a genuine connection to Israel.
    Ah, as I typed the word Israel I get where you are coming from..... I think.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

She’s lived there for years, moving over originally to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    6th fastest qualifier. Will need to run a PB to medal in my opinion.

I was very impressed with his run today and I think there is more there. He seemed to find an extra gear of the bend but looked comfortable towards the finish. Could have won the heat but there are no prizes for that. IMO he has a every chance of a medal if everything clicks.

ger664 wrote: »
    I was very impressed with his run today and I think there is more there. He seemed to find an extra gear of the bend but looked comfortable towards the finish. Could have won the heat but there are no prizes for that. IMO he has a every chance of a medal if everything clicks.

Winning the heat ensures a middle lane. He could have ended up in lane 1 because he didn’t win his heat. Thankfully he has lane 8 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Chivito550 wrote: »
    She’s lived there for years, moving over originally to work.

Think its the fact that Israel is not in Europe that was being referred to!

Very disappointing morning. English needs to seriously reassess. Let's hope we have better news with our 2 finals later.

Thomas Barr (Ferrybank) 400m hurdles Final 19:15

Leon Reid (Menapians) 200m Final 20:05

What do we think? 2 medals? 0 medals? 1? I have a horrible feeling that it could be two 4ths.

EC1000 wrote: »
    Think its the fact that Israel is not in Europe that was being referred to!

Nothing new there though. They are in Europe for many other sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Very disappointing morning. English needs to seriously reassess. Let's hope we have better news with our 2 finals later.

Thomas Barr (Ferrybank) 400m hurdles Final 19:15

Leon Reid (Menapians) 200m Final 20:05

What do we think? 2 medals? 0 medals? 1? I have a horrible feeling that it could be two 4ths.

Will these be on Tv tonight. I see rte 2 are showing the cork city soccer match tonight.

Edit: coverage of the football starts at 7.30 so the Thomas Barr race should be on.

Will these be on Tv tonight. I see rte 2 are showing the cork city soccer match tonight.

Edit: coverage of the football starts at 7.30 so the Thomas Barr race should be on.

Yes, Barr race will be on RTÉ 2 and Reid's race will be on RTÉ news now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Bronze!!!!! :D Well done Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Class

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Great result for Thomas,

• Advertisement

Barr was immense down the home straight. There was a danger for a moment he might fade but then got his second wind and finished strongly.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,588 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Great run by Barr. AlwYs strong in the last 100..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Great championship run by Barr. Fast times are great and all but its racing at the end of the day and he came third in the European final.

Don't get the BBC obsession though with Irish athletes.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Barr was immense down the home straight. There was a danger for a moment he might fade but then got his second wind and finished strongly.

It never looked in danger in my opinion. Barr is known to be a fast finisher. It's the one thing you notice in all his races that he gets a good turn of foot in the final 100.

Delighted for him. His hard work deserves that moment.

Faugheen wrote: »
    It never looked in danger in my opinion. Barr is known to be a fast finisher. It's the one thing you notice in all his races that he gets a good turn of foot in the final 100.

Delighted for him. His hard work deserves that moment.

He said in his interview he felt he could take the Frenchman all the way down the straight and so it proved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Great championship run by Barr. Fast times are great and all but its racing at the end of the day and he came third in the European final.

Don't get the BBC obsession though with Irish athletes.

Saw someone on another thread say the opposite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

Isreal are barred from Asian championships in pretty much every sport since the 70's due to the cultural difference between them and the middle Eastern Countries. The main reason being that they because they are Jewish and the middle Eastern Countries will not let them compete in an Asian Championship. A deal was made in the 70's to allow them compete in Europe for a temporary period until the ban was lifted. It never was.
    Very disappointing morning. English needs to seriously reassess.

English has been plagued by injuries this year and is only on the way back now, didn't even expect to see him run these Champs until the National Championships two weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Delighted for Barr, such an impressive character. Does 3rd in the Europeans supersede 4th at the Olympics? Not sure but, as Derval says, its great to get something tangible to show for it and richly deserved.

I know it's a different race but hopefully this can put a bit of a spring in Reid's step. Two medals would be phenomenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,588 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Delighted for Barr, such an impressive character. Does 3rd in the Europeans supersede 4th at the Olympics? Not sure but, as Derval says, its great to get something tangible to show for it and richly deserved.

No way it trumps 4th. Much deeper global field at Olympics

Advertisement