Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Build up to Berlin European Championships

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Full entry list announced:

http://www.european-athletics.org/mm/Document/EventsMeetings/General/01/28/47/53/ECH2018-FinalEntriesListforWebsite(1)_English.pdf

Only 3 per country can compete in track and field events, but countries can enter up to 5 (I guess to cover possible injuries). GB have 4 down for the women's 1500m for example but only 3 will run. The only instance where 4 can compete for a country is if that country has the defending champion, and if that defending champion is one of the 4.

In the marathon it is maximum 6 per country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Leon Reid's transfer of allegiance has been approved

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Is Thomas Barr our only realistic medal hope? Any chance for Ciara Mageean?

Is Thomas Barr our only realistic medal hope? Any chance for Ciara Mageean?

Mageean has a shot I think. No Hassan, no Bahta, the third Brit isn't a huge threat. Having said that it will still be an outside shot with Muir, Weightman, the 2 Poles and Klosterhalfen.

Barr is a good shot but he's fighting for silver max, likely bronze.

Reid has a chance too, though he didn't beat Marcus by much at nationals, so it is an outside shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭fishy21

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Mageean has a shot I think. No Hassan, no Bahta, the third Brit isn't a huge threat. Having said that it will still be an outside shot with Muir, Weightman, the 2 Poles and Klosterhalfen.

Reid has a chance too, though he didn't beat Marcus by much at nationals, so it is an outside shot.

Yeah i agree, Barr needs to run a season best for bronze I think. If Warholm started at 450m he probably would still win. But I see he is doubling up on the flat so hopefully that tires him out.
    I couldnt see Mageean doing much damage. A slow race would suit her.
    I would love to see Paul Pollock hit his full potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

Klosterhalfen is running the 5000m instead of the 1500m so it opens up Mageean chances a little more.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

Monday (August 6th) - PM Irish time/ Venue time
    Adam McMullen (Crusaders) Long Jump Qualifying 15:35 16:35

Phil Healy (Bandon) 100m Heats 16:45 17:45

Gina Akpe-Moses (Blackrock-Louth) 100m heats 16:45 17:45

Today's action for the Irish. What do people think? If McMullen jumps close to his pb he should make the final and will be close to a bronze if he breaks his pb in the final.
    Healy should make the semi final but is the 200 her better bet for a final?
    Akpe-Moses should gain some valuable experience but we shouldn't expect too much just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

Healy should make semi, but yes... I think that main hopes will lie in in the 200m for a final place.

Akpe-Moses run out of it in Heat 1. Will hope for fastest qualifier place. Looked like Stuy was taken out by sniper.

On a tangent, I applaud the recent move to schedule Euro's for Rowing, Swim, Track Cycling and athletics at around the same time. And plenty of Irish involvement - and couple of medals so far - across the various disciplines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

Healy safely qualified after a relatively poor start. Job done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Unlucky for Gina Akpe Moses to miss out on time, but she has huge potential for the future.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Judging by Gina’s recent interviews she’ll be absolutely fuming with herself over that. 0.02 off qualifying when she knows she can run faster.

Always good to have an athlete who’s super competitive like Gina is but she shouldn’t be too hard on herself. Her first time competing at this level and she more than held her own. Loads of time on her side too.

If she’s able to work on her starts and keeps improving the way she has been, she’ll go sub-11 seconds.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Judging by Gina’s recent interviews she’ll be absolutely fuming with herself over that. 0.02 off qualifying when she knows she can run faster.

Always good to have an athlete who’s super competitive like Gina is but she shouldn’t be too hard on herself. Her first time competing at this level and she more than held her own. Loads of time on her side too.

If she’s able to work on her starts and keeps improving the way she has been, she’ll go sub-11 seconds.

Jerry Kiernan reckons she might be tiny bit tired after a long season (she only barely won the 100m at the national championship). She has huge potential to improve in coming years, she can clearly go a lot faster.

She wasn’t fuming at all. She was happy with her run and didn’t mind whether she got through or not as Berlin was never in her plans this year and this is all a bonus.

11.63 into a -0.7 headwind was a good run at the end of a long season. With a tailwind she’d be right up on her PB.

She wasn’t fuming at all. She was happy with her run and didn’t mind whether she got through or not as Berlin was never in her plans this year and this is all a bonus.

11.63 into a -0.7 headwind was a good run at the end of a long season. With a tailwind she’d be right up on her PB.

That's good to hear. Having heard interviews on Off The Ball and after the Nationals she's someone who sets a very high standard for herself so it's good to know she's not beating herself up about it.

Tuesday (August 7th) - AM
    Brendan Boyce (Finn Valley) 50k Race Walk Final 07:35

Chris O'Donnell (North Sligo) 400m Heats 09:35

Claire Mooney (UCD) 800m Heats 10:05

Siofra Cléirigh-Buttner (DSD) 800m Heats 10:05

Not great performances from the 2 women in the 800. Mooney went for it but ran out of gas completely Cléirich-Buttner is after a long season. O'Donnell ran a seasons best and not far off a pb but well off the pace to qualify. Boyce is looking like getting a top 10.

Tuesday (August 7th) - PM
    Phil Healy (Bandon) 100m Semi-final 18:05 19:05

Thomas Barr (Ferrybank) 400m hurdles Semi-final 18:45

Stephen Scullion (Clonliffe Harriers) 10,000m Final 19:20

Phil Healy (Bandon) 100m Final 20:30

Tonight, unlikely the Healy will make the final, hopefully a good time in preparation for the 200. Our major hope Barr should make the final. He's the second fastest in his heat going on previous records. Top 2 go through and 2 fastest losers from the 3 heats. Scullion is in the final of the 10,000.

• Advertisement

This has to be the first time Barr has had a good run going into a Championships? Even in 2016 he wasn't long recovering from injury.

I genuinely think if he can peak for these like he did in Rio then he could easily have the beating of Copello. Warholm a class above though and probably the star attraction of the championships.

Healy 11:46. Slightly slower than the heat. Was left behind a bit and finished 7th.

Edit: Would have needed a a big PB to qualify anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

That was some tongue twister name for George Hamilton :D

YFlyer wrote: »
    That was some tongue twister name for George Hamilton :D

:D I'm actually enjoying the coverage though. It's a good mix with Gillick. He didn't notice the runner pulling up there, poor George.

Good second for Barr. He had to push himself, really strong last hundred but you can see he was struggling slightly in the last few metres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Barr through anyway. Fight for 3rd with Magi and Vaillant. Warholm wins and Copello 2nd bar any hurdling issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    :D I'm actually enjoying the coverage though. It's a good mix with Gillick. He didn't notice the runner pulling up there, poor George.

Good second for Barr.

George has been busy recently in fairness to him. Cant remember last time I heard Con Murphy commentating, thought he left RTE years ago.

Was a bit worried for Thomas there for a while, but very comfortable in the end.

Barr got the 7th fastest time. That's lane 8 for him in the final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭4Ad

33 degrees for the 10'000 metres..alot of runners pulling up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Scullion melted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

That was a good old fashioned attritional 10,000. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭unichick

wgtomblin wrote: »
    Healy should make semi, but yes... I think that main hopes will lie in in the 200m for a final place.

Akpe-Moses run out of it in Heat 1. Will hope for fastest qualifier place. Looked like Stuy was taken out by sniper.

On a tangent, I applaud the recent move to schedule Euro's for Rowing, Swim, Track Cycling and athletics at around the same time. And plenty of Irish involvement - and couple of medals so far - across the various disciplines.

I agree. This is a genius move. Amazed it wasn’t done sooner. Creates a real buzz about the championships. A mini Olympics of sorts.

I’m on hols outside ireland. Anyone a link to view the sport?

Wednesday (August 8th) - AM
    Marcus Lawler (SLOT) 200m Heats 09:50

Would be very hopeful of Lawler making a semi final. He'll be disappointed if he doesn't.

Wednesday (August 8th) - PM

Marcus Lawler (SLOT) 200m Semi-final 19:15

Leon Reid (Menapians) 200m Semi-final 19:15

Emma Mitchell (Queens) 10,000m Final 19:40

Can Reid make the final? He should be there or thereabouts, would be a great start to his Irish career. I think he'll make it and come top 5 in the final!

Anyone know what time RTE will switch from the pool to the track?

Don't know but Lawler ran 20.80 and came 5th. Top 3 go through and 2 fastest losers so he's out more than likely.

Don't know but Lawler ran 20.80 and came 5th. Top 3 go through and 2 fastest losers so he's out more than likely.

That's disappointing.

Time for him to move up to the 400m.

• Advertisement

That's disappointing.

He's still in for now, the next heat was slower. He was faster than the 3rd spot in that one.

Edit: Same story with the next heat, would have made top 3 in that so still in with a shout of fastest loser spot.

Thanks

The athletics are on RTE now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,815 ✭✭✭✭28064212

He's still in for now, the next heat was slower. He was faster than the 3rd spot in that one.

Edit: Same story with the next heat, would have made top 3 in that so still in with a shout of fastest loser spot.
    Don't think he was ever in a fastest loser spot. Erewa in Heat 1 was 4th in 20.69. For some reason heat 1 isn't showing the results on the Live page, but it's posted on "Official Reports"

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Don't think he was ever in a fastest loser spot. Erewa in Heat 1 was 4th in 20.69. For some reason heat 1 isn't showing the results on the Live page, but it's posted on "Official Reports"

Oh ok, yeah it seems very slow. I was wondering why heat 1 hadn't begun. As Yflyer says, it's on now on RTÉ.

That's disappointing.

He’s had a great season and is close now to Hession’s record. Moving up is such a Jerry Kiernan solution. He bottled it on the big occasion and moving up to 400 doesn’t magically fix that. Hopefully he figures out what went wrong and gets it right in Doha next year.

He’s had a great season and is close now to Hession’s record. Moving up is such a Jerry Kiernan solution. He bottled it on the big occasion and moving up to 400 doesn’t magically fix that. Hopefully he figures out what went wrong and gets it right in Doha next year.

He mentioned the year when he ran in the Seniors at the National Schools that the plan was to move up to 400 in a few years.

BTW Jerry Kiernan wasn't in favour of Phil Healy moving up to the 400.

Very disappointing for Lawler. No excuses there really. Hopefully he figures out what went wrong and can bounce back because there’s a very good sprinter in there.

Just noticed as well that Reid lines up inside Guliyev in the semis. That’s a good thing I reckon. A good target to try get close to.

Second place!!!! Excellent. Strong after the bend. His last 50 was superb, I think he even eased off at the line. 20:38 the time.

Great running by Reid.

• Advertisement

Don't see how Derval O'Rourke thinks that Warholm would beat Hudson Smith.

I thought Reid might be in a spot of bother coming off the bend but his finish was excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,304 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Wow shocked Gemili was so poor in that semi of the 200m... Might make it as a fastest loser.

Great to have an Irish athlete to cheers on in final!

:D Reid's a bit cocky but that's sprinters for ya! He's delighted to be wearing the green.

6th fastest qualifier. Will need to run a PB to medal in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

So an african running for israel just won the European 10000. As they say,just saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

ultrapercy wrote: »
    So an african running for israel just won the European 10000. As they say,just saying.
    Not quite as bad as some of the Turkish cases though. The Dutch girl in second was out on her feet towards the end.

Itziger wrote: »
    Not quite as bad as some of the Turkish cases though.

Like a certain Copello...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Itziger wrote: »
    Not quite as bad as some of the Turkish cases though.

At least it could be argued that parts of Turkey are in Europe....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

In fairness she has a genuine connection to Israel.
    Ah, as I typed the word Israel I get where you are coming from..... I think.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

She’s lived there for years, moving over originally to work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement