Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Is the most dangerous place in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The pub or the off licence - where the most commonly available and dangerous mind altering drug is bought or taken that destroys so many lives and families...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The Fours Lights on John Street Sligo on a Saturday night, in the rush for a Big Four and Curry Chips, just before the shutters come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Scariest place I've ever personally been is an area near the Guinness factory late at night, I can't remember which road it was (Basin St, Marrowbone Lane and the School/Summer/Braithewaite Street intersection are all possibilities - I had stumbled drunkenly and phoneless out of a house party on New Earl Street around 4am with the intention of walking home to Dun Laoghaire and promptly gotten lost in an absolute maze of apartment tower blocks :D ) but there was an all out gang battle going on with young lads throwing sh!t at eachother and setting fire to things. To this day I'm not sure if that was their idea of fun or if there was actual hatred towards eachother but it was feckin' terrifying.

The main thing going on was people standing on balconies (open access stairwells so I have no idea if they even lived in the buildings or not - a lot of the apartments were boarded up so possibly scheduled for demolition or a facelift?), setting fire to tennis balls and the like, and then trying to bounce them off the ground and hit people standing on the balconies in opposite buildings. Feckin' mad stuff.

Never saw any mention of it in the news which made me wonder if it was a regular occurrence and therefore not newsworthy :eek: It was in and around Arthur's Day, so close enough to Halloween but probably not Halloween related, idk. Autumn does seem to be peak "set everything in sight on fire for the craic" season from September onwards, so that might have been a factor.

Wouldn't wander around that stretch at night again in a hurry though. This stuff seemed to be going on across several different streets in the same cluster, all within sight of the Guinness building, so it very much seemed like an organised kind of thing. Do 'gangs' of teenage douchebags still do arranged meetups with the express purpose of having fights?

Phone was dead hence no Google maps and no chance to call the Gardai. Eventually after running through several streets for about ten minutes trying to get away from the chaos I miraculously ended up on Cork Street, which I was fully familiar with and could figure out my route home from. Serious way to wake up after a session at which you had just woken up from a drunken slumber :D:D:D

On a serious note, it also massively pissed me off that this kind of crap seemed to be going on with total impunity. No sign of any cavalry arriving at least while I was there, which sort of adds weight to the claims that certain areas are just "let go" by the authorities, and therefore these marauding gangs of scumbags can just get away with it without any real retaliation. What always struck me was how tranquil Cork Street was once I arrived on it, if I'd been walking home from a gaff party there that night I wouldn't have had so much as a hint that there was major trouble going on just a five minute walk away. I'd always heard that the city centre was like that, with settled and rough areas directly intersecting with eachother, but this was the most bizarre contrast I've come across in my time.

As funny as it it to look back on as a passer-by who just happened to have gotten lost, it was incredibly scary at the time, and I can only imagine that people actually living in the place must have been terrified. With regard to Basin Street, it would gel with a Prime Time documentary I saw a few years later about how a lot of people who live there bolt their doors once the sun goes down and, in one resident's own words, "I don't even want to know what goes on out there until the morning". Seems these lads know that they wreak arson, assault and general antisocial chaos in the neighbourhood and get away with it indefinitely :mad:

This was in the Autumn of either 2013 or 2014, so for all I know the place is totally different now. The boarded up apartments nearby would suggest that some kind of revamp was planned for the area.

TLDR

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Limericklaaaad

Southill in limerick even tho alot of the houses have been knocked its still a kip. You dont go there unless you have reason and if your not known you'd be seen as an easy target, They know all the cars that do be coming and going, Scary place at night, Looks like a war zone gangs of upto 30-40 people cars being rallyed almost every night without fail shootings and stabbings are common place and most things go unreported. Not to mention the caseys halting site the place is a dump avoid at all costs.

Scariest place I've ever personally been is an area near the Guinness factory late at night, I can't remember which road it was (Basin St, Marrowbone Lane and the School/Summer/Braithewaite Street intersection are all possibilities - I had stumbled drunkenly and phoneless out of a house party on New Earl Street around 4am with the intention of walking home to Dun Laoghaire and promptly gotten lost in an absolute maze of apartment tower blocks :D ) but there was an all out gang battle going on with young lads throwing sh!t at eachother and setting fire to things. To this day I'm not sure if that was their idea of fun or if there was actual hatred towards eachother but it was feckin' terrifying.

The main thing going on was people standing on balconies (open access stairwells so I have no idea if they even lived in the buildings or not - a lot of the apartments were boarded up so possibly scheduled for demolition or a facelift?), setting fire to tennis balls and the like, and then trying to bounce them off the ground and hit people standing on the balconies in opposite buildings. Feckin' mad stuff.

Never saw any mention of it in the news which made me wonder if it was a regular occurrence and therefore not newsworthy :eek: It was in and around Arthur's Day, so close enough to Halloween but probably not Halloween related, idk. Autumn does seem to be peak "set everything in sight on fire for the craic" season from September onwards, so that might have been a factor.

Wouldn't wander around that stretch at night again in a hurry though. This stuff seemed to be going on across several different streets in the same cluster, all within sight of the Guinness building, so it very much seemed like an organised kind of thing. Do 'gangs' of teenage douchebags still do arranged meetups with the express purpose of having fights?

Phone was dead hence no Google maps and no chance to call the Gardai. Eventually after running through several streets for about ten minutes trying to get away from the chaos I miraculously ended up on Cork Street, which I was fully familiar with and could figure out my route home from. Serious way to wake up after a session at which you had just woken up from a drunken slumber :D:D:D

On a serious note, it also massively pissed me off that this kind of crap seemed to be going on with total impunity. No sign of any cavalry arriving at least while I was there, which sort of adds weight to the claims that certain areas are just "let go" by the authorities, and therefore these marauding gangs of scumbags can just get away with it without any real retaliation. What always struck me was how tranquil Cork Street was once I arrived on it, if I'd been walking home from a gaff party there that night I wouldn't have had so much as a hint that there was major trouble going on just a five minute walk away. I'd always heard that the city centre was like that, with settled and rough areas directly intersecting with eachother, but this was the most bizarre contrast I've come across in my time.

As funny as it it to look back on as a passer-by who just happened to have gotten lost, it was incredibly scary at the time, and I can only imagine that people actually living in the place must have been terrified. With regard to Basin Street, it would gel with a Prime Time documentary I saw a few years later about how a lot of people who live there bolt their doors once the sun goes down and, in one resident's own words, "I don't even want to know what goes on out there until the morning". Seems these lads know that they wreak arson, assault and general antisocial chaos in the neighbourhood and get away with it indefinitely :mad:

This was in the Autumn of either 2013 or 2014, so for all I know the place is totally different now. The boarded up apartments nearby would suggest that some kind of revamp was planned for the area.

this area is a total sh1thole and the ppl in it deserve each other.

and thats from a former resident

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

It was in and around Arthur's Day.

Is Arthur's Day still a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Where you
    A. Phoneless?
    B. Your phone was dead?
    C. Lying?

Phoneless because it was dead. It had that "battery says 40%, then randomly dies anyway" issues at the time and I'd been too lazy to get it fixed up until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Dublin's North Inner City, most of Antrim, parts of Limerick and Cork.

Most of Antrim?

The giants causeway? The holiday towns of Cushendun and Cushendall? The caravan parks favoured by pensioners in Portrush? The leafy housing enclaves off the Lisburn Road?

Yeah....a real no go zone all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

mfceiling wrote: »
    Most of Antrim?

The giants causeway? The holiday towns of Cushendun and Cushendall? The caravan parks favoured by pensioners in Portrush? The leafy housing enclaves off the Lisburn Road?

Yeah....a real no go zone all right.

Am more surprised someone has not yet come along to say its not in Ireland.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

Lurgan without a doubt.
    The leafy housing enclaves off the Lisburn Road?

They would consider themselves to be from the Malone road. That tiny area is the most posh part of Belfast if not the whole of NI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

panda100 wrote: »

No they scrapped it a couple of years ago.It was like a mini Paddy's Day.It was nice getting free to cheap pints of Guinness though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

panda100 wrote: »

This was 2013/14, can't remember exactly but it was one of the last ever Arthur's Days. Really miss that sesh TBH, it was one of those epic reunions where you'd see everyone you know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

A confession box

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Fassaroe, Bray in the late 90's early 00's - I have seen things go on in that estate that if I pitched them as a movie, no film director would believe me.

Like all these dodgy places from 20 years ago, I'm sure it's fine today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Southill in limerick even tho alot of the houses have been knocked its still a kip. You dont go there unless you have reason and if your not known you'd be seen as an easy target, They know all the cars that do be coming and going, Scary place at night, Looks like a war zone gangs of upto 30-40 people cars being rallyed almost every night without fail shootings and stabbings are common place and most things go unreported. Not to mention the caseys halting site the place is a dump avoid at all costs.

Avoid it? Sure you're never likely to exactly stumble into it by mistake. There isn't really a whole lot of work to avoiding it. As a for instance, I've lived 40 odd years in the city and only ever went in once to drop off a guy after a football match who requested to be dropped there to his gran's. It was 12 in the day on a Sunday and kids battered the minivan we were in! :-) Somebody always on patrol!

Funny thing is - way back in history that was where the well-to-do folk of Limerick lived. I'm talking 19th cent. Limerick would have been Ireland's finest urban area if dumb planning mistakes weren't made as the physical landscape is fantastic. They messed up the very same way with local authority housing in King's island. Should have been a thriving business district.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

cruais wrote: »
    A confession box

Just bring a little flashlight kid.
    Be grand sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Any bathroom! More people suffer injuries slipping on tiles than anything else!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I'm not saying it's the most dangerous place but it's just a dodgy place I visited at the weekend.....

We went to Belfast from Dublin for the weekend. Decided to find a kebab shop on Google Sunday evening to bring back to the hotel for the girlfriend and i. I seen one on a street called hope street. Which was a 1 mile walk down a long street (the one with the Europa hotel). So after I got the kebabs, I decided to take a route home that's behind the main streets for the craic . I ended up in a place called sandy row( a friend I know from Belfast said wtf was I doing there? She wouldn't even drive her car through it) there was a pub on the corner with union jacks and Israel flags hanging from it and a baldy man with half of his face tattood. I knew I was ****ed if they knew I'm from Dublin so I did a fast walk past the dodgy bastards. The pub had music pumping at about 8pm on a Sunday.

I ended up walking down sandy row which had union jacks and murals everywhere.

Nothing happened and I never felt in danger but I knew quite well to keep my mouth shut.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Most of Antrim?

The giants causeway?

Sure it was built by 2 lads fighting with each other.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I'm not saying it's the most dangerous place but it's just a dodgy place I visited at the weekend.....

We went to Belfast from Dublin for the weekend. Decided to find a kebab shop on Google Sunday evening to bring back to the hotel for the girlfriend and i. I seen one on a street called hope street. Which was a 1 mile walk down a long street (the one with the Europa hotel). So after I got the kebabs, I decided to take a route home that's behind the main streets for the craic . I ended up in a place called sandy row( a friend I know from Belfast said wtf was I doing there? She wouldn't even drive her car through it) there was a pub on the corner with union jacks and Israel flags hanging from it and a baldy man with half of his face tattood. I knew I was ****ed if they knew I'm from Dublin so I did a fast walk past the dodgy bastards. The pub had music pumping at about 8pm on a Sunday.

I ended up walking down sandy row which had union jacks and murals everywhere.

Nothing happened and I never felt in danger but I knew quite well to keep my mouth shut.

Where you drunk? I don't know about you guys down South, you seem very aloof about things, no real street smarts. If you grow up in tough areas you always have a sixth sense to expect the unexpected, know where you are, always watch your back etc. I'm not even from Belfast but knew from day 1 here to keep my wits about me in regards to where I am.

The Royal Bar you're most likely talking about, complete dump but has far more flags than usual because it's a hotspot for the 12th when they put them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Balbriggan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Where you drunk? I don't know about you guys down South, you seem very aloof about things, no real street smarts. If you grow up in tough areas you always have a sixth sense to expect the unexpected, know where you are, always watch your back etc. I'm not even from Belfast but knew from day 1 here to keep my wits about me in regards to where I am.

The Royal Bar you're most likely talking about, complete dump but has far more flags than usual because it's a hotspot for the 12th when they put them up.

Nope. I wasnt drinking.

I just decided to go get some take away kebabs to bring back to the hotel then fancied a detour as republican and loyalist murals are really interesting to me. It's weird how 20 second walk off a main road with tourists on it such a loyalist, dodgy area.

I am from crumlin in Dublin which isn't exactly a pleasent area. So I do have "street smarts". Minus the loyalist guy with a face tattoo, all I saw was kids playing on their bikes and the odd person strolling home from a local shop. So there was no danger at that particular time.

It wasn't until I text a friend saying that sandy row was fairly interesting when i realised how bad it's supposed to be as she was fairly shocked at how I ended up there. (like I said, 29 second walk off the main road that's full of tourists walking to botanical gardens).

The gf and I took a stroll up the shankhill road earlier that day on yet another detour before visiting crumlin road gaol and that was grand too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Abz26

Parts of limerick and parts of west and north dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Walking along a country road from Danny Healy-Rae's local after closing time.

I just decided to go get some take away kebabs to bring back to the hotel then fancied a detour as republican and loyalist murals are really interesting to me. It's weird how 20 second walk off a main road with tourists on it such a loyalist, dodgy area.

I'm pretty sure there's actually a hostel directly opposite the Royal bar. Would explain the tourists.

Minus the loyalist guy with a face tattoo, all I saw was kids playing on their bikes and the odd person strolling home from a local shop. So there was no danger at that particular time.

I've been up and down that road countless times by car, there's constant gangsters outside of it. The PUL community actually put a photo of a late teenager/early 20 year old Catholic girl out with her Protestant mates in the Royal Bar and was looking for her name a couple years ago. That's how scummy these people are.

It wasn't until I text a friend saying that sandy row was fairly interesting when i realised how bad it's supposed to be as she was fairly shocked at how I ended up there. (like I said, 29 second walk off the main road that's full of tourists walking to botanical gardens).

You seem to think South Belfast are the only tourist areas. Botanic gardens is quite far away from Sandy row and you can easily avoid it by going down botanic avenue on shaftesbury square. I walk through botanic gardens nearly everyday for work. But yeah it's the scummiest area in such a close proximity to were a lot is happening in Belfast. They tend to spill out about Lavery's and the Dublin road which can be quite annoying.

The gf and I took a stroll up the shankhill road earlier that day on yet another detour and that was grand too.

It's a busy road. You think it's grand as you walked down it? The majority on the Shankill would hate you by default no matter what you try and believe. The majority of Belfast young people are smicks in estates, and if a group of young lads heard your accent there would be a quite high possibility of a beating. Especially during marching season in these areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Try selling rosary beads door to door in Bangor.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,361 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

East Belfast wearing a Celtic jersey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Southill Limerick is like a something out of Syria.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

downpatrick head in a gale... shudders..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Tordelback wrote: »

Occurs to me though that I have seen physcial violence on the Red Line, in the early evening a few years ago - a young father hitting his 3 or 4 year old son round the head for crying (inspired solution, that :rolleyes:). While the rest of sat there gawping in horror, an elderly lad sitting opposite leaned over and calmly said "stop that right now, you can't do that"; the father turned on him red-faced and shouting about his "rights" until the rest of men the carriage got to our feet and faced him down. He sat their muttering under his breath until he got off at Cheeverstown (true story, before the 'never happened' brigade get started).

I think about that poor kid's life a lot, and I wonder how long it will be until we're on here calling him a knacker and a scumbag.

Do you think about it a lot as you feel guilty for not acting sooner?

Advertisement