Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Deuce - HBO - *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

This post has been deleted.

Great.

Its terrific. Not 'The Wire' terrific but brilliantly wrote all the same. Personally, i found the storylines in the Wire were that bit more enticing but the Deuce has some outstanding characters.

Have to admire the way HBO stays true to commissioning dramas where the onus is more on character development as opposed to these instant gratification storylines that are tied up in a nice fluffy bow tie at the end of the episode.

Shows such as the Wire gives the viewer a slice of real life and modern day America.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

Seems like this whole season was one big prologue for what's to come in season two great none the less, really taking it back to its grass roots beginning which I didn't expect it would.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Great season, just so enjoyable - James Franco can be rather annoying but he was great in this, Frankie was hilarious 'I'm going to call it... the masturbatorium!! Trademark that **** now!'.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Alan Sepinwall has an interesting review online. I loved his reviews of the wire. Some of the characters are based on real characters and some of the scenes really happened. I can't do spoilers but check it out if you're interested. I finished the season last night, loved it. Apparently season 2 will take place 7 years on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Great season, just so enjoyable - James Franco can be rather annoying but he was great in this, Frankie was hilarious 'I'm going to call it... the masturbatorium!! Trademark that **** now!'.

I was just thinking the other day that James Franco pretty underrated as an actor. He's shown time and time again that he's got talent as a serious actor as well. The most notable example would be his role as James Dean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Finished it now. Brilliant show. Too short though i really wanted more episodes.

I think if this gets a fair run like 5 seasons it will go down as a classic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Unearthly wrote: »
    Finished it now. Brilliant show. Too short though i really wanted more episodes.

I think if this gets a fair run like 5 seasons it will go down as a classic

David Simon has said they have planned a 3 year arc with a long time jump in story between each season, looks like it will be only 30 eps in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Vic_08 wrote: »
    David Simon has said they have planned a 3 year arc with a long time jump in story between each season, looks like it will be only 30 eps in total.

Read that,interesting idea and hopefully they get the green light for all 3.
    They are planning about a seven year gap between each season.Early 70's ,late 70's and mid 80's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

yabadabado wrote: »
    Read that,interesting idea and hopefully they get the green light for all 3.
    They are planning about a seven year gap between each season.Early 70's ,late 70's and mid 80's.

Id imagine the disco era will be seen in series 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Id imagine the disco era will be seen in series 2.

I was just about to say this. I honestly thought it was going to be around 10 episodes. I really enjoyed every episode. Great writing, great acting, great characters. The setting of 1970s New York has always interested me in movies and TV and this show does it so well. Long wait until season 2 now :(

MadYaker wrote: »
    I was just about to say this. I honestly thought it was going to be around 10 episodes. I really enjoyed every episode. Great writing, great acting, great characters. The setting of 1970s New York has always interested me in movies and TV and this show does it so well. Long wait until season 2 now :(

David Simon is gifted but in this world of instant gratification and dumbing down, how refreshing is it that a huge network like HBO are giving Simon a canvas to show something is so well well written and a better reflection the way real life is

It proving worth their while though. It's been a success in terms of viewers, over 2 million people watched the premiere.

MadYaker wrote: »
    It proving worth their while though. It's been a success in terms of viewers, over 2 million people watched the premiere.

To be fair i would imagine the success and popularity of the Wire kind of drew in the audience the first night.

2m in the USA is small considering they have a population of 250m people or so. 7m or so watch Coronation Street alone in the UK so that will give you an indication about the masses who watch tv today.

Yeah and it's nothing compared to the likes of Game Of Thrones or The Walking Dead but still not a flop or even close to it. I just hope they can keep the quality up for the second series. Far too many shows have a strong first season and then go to crap. I'm hopeful for this though, they clearly have quality writers and have built a solid foundation which gives them loads of options.

Maybe The Wire helped but honestly I had no idea (apart from it being on HBO) that it was the same people that made The Wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Vic_08

To be fair i would imagine the success and popularity of the Wire kind of drew in the audience the first night.

2m in the USA is small considering they have a population of 250m people or so. 7m or so watch Coronation Street alone in the UK so that will give you an indication about the masses who watch tv today.

2m is a good figure for HBO.

HBO is a premium subscription channel, their ratings are small in comparison to broadcast or basic cable channels.

Some recent premiere ratings from HBO:
    HBO Drama Premieres Since 2011 (live-plus-same day only)

1. True Detective (2014) 2.33 million
    2. Game of Thrones (2011) — 2.22 million
    3. The Newsroom (2012) — 2.14 million
    4. Westworld (2016)— 1.96 million
    5. The Leftovers (2014) 1.77 million
    6. The Night Of (2016) — 774,000*
    7. Vinyl (2016) — 764,000

*premiere saw early sampling online.

Sorry, I posted an error in previous post, should have said 24 eps, AFAIK it will be 8 per season. Not much really but 8 eps of David Simon TV is better than an entire season of derivative muck that is churned out by so many other producers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Also the on demand viewings are monitored for hbo. Think that's the best way to measure a show instead of the traditional live ratings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Also thought it was 10! Bit sad now I finished it tonight on Sky :D

Top quality stuff throughout. Highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I kind've laughed when Leon shot that pimp in the diner. I knew something was going to happen but I wasn't quite sure when. Then he pull out the pistol and shoots him and it so nonchalant about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Will this stay on SkyGo/Sky Box sets for a bit does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

Lestor Freaman (Clarke Peters) made an appearance this week as a former pimp and associate of CC

Class hes come full circle from a veteran junkie in 'the corner' through senior murder police to retired pimp,

Really enjoys this show, some great acting and scenes, CC trying to get Candy to join his stable that night on the street after shed been beaten up and robbed is one of the standouts for me,

Nice the way the season ended in a wire-esque musical montage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

That was an excellent season of television and finished with the strongest episode.

Cannot wait for the second season. Apparently there is going to be a pretty big overhaul regarding the cast

Not too big I hope? I can't think of any cast members I'd particularily like to see replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

David Simon has said with the timeline of the show its only natural some characters wont be around .Im sure plenty of pimps/hookers dont have a long time on the streets with that lifestyle.

For reason I took that to mean that characters would remain but the actors playing them would change... brain fart moment. Yes I agree some of the hookers probably aren't long for this world and the pimps sort of became irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Season 2 starts on 9th Sept on HBO.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Brilliant, looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Teaser trailer. Starts September 9th. Can't wait! :D

Advertisement