Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Deuce - HBO - *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

Great finale, I loved the scene with Vince and Bobby... "We're better than this Bobby", but then Bobby's son walks out with the whore and huge grin and Bobby doesn't even flinch like, nah we really ain't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

It's a great show. One of the best this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

loved season 2 especially the last 2 episodes, finale was fantastic, got real 'Boogie Nights vibes from the montage at the end showing where each character is going

Terrific stuff. I love the season-ending montages. Although not as good as the Wire overall (what is really?), the season has been a complete triumph for me. The plotlines, the props, the way the characters have aged since season 1...everything was just fantastic. Roll on the 80s and Season 3

Somehow I reckon Bobby's son is going to get them all into serious trouble at some stage. He seems a total dumbass, although how (White) Frankie hasn't got them all killed at this stage is a total mystery.

Comic bit of the night was Ralph Macchios character Officer Haddix shooting Rodney (Method Man). As soon as Rodney was told that there was one in the chamber you sensed somehow that he was in big trouble and memories of a similar plot in season 1 of love/hate sprang to mind. As for the crooked Haddix, they may get Cobra Kai in to clean up Midtown Manhattan at this stage :pac:

Some great scenes with Larry tonight showing his two polarising sides. He was very protective of Lori which was so ironic and then he was showing rather 'wolf-like' threats to Loretta when he was strangling her and then again we see him and Darlene part ways. He has really grown as a character this series and no surprise that the cleverest in the game that seen times changing is one of the last men standing. Akin to Cutty Wise famous line in the Wire, the same could be said for Larry. 'The game aint in me no mo'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

I really like how they have taken a show about prostitution and exploited women and used it to show them as very strong and often clever. a lot of films or TV shows are jumping on the 'girl power' bandwagon and it often feels disingenuous, but the deuce doesn't sugar coat it - Candy/Eileen still has to sell herself the old fashioned way to get red hot made and become 'a name', and she loses her family because of it.

david simon is great at creating realistic gritty worlds but unlike the wire i don't find the deuce overstuffed with characters and hard to follow.

i think Maggie Gyllenhaal has a great chance at getting an Emmy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

A great finale to the one of the top shows on TV at the moment. I love how gritty it is, and hopefully more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭blackwave

Just want to echo what other people are saying and this has been great. Really liked Candy and Larry Brown this in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

What an amazing show this has developed into. Can't wait for season 3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I have to say I enjoyed Season 2 more than Season 1. In Season 1 I was kind've unsure about what to think about the show, but Season 2 I was fully on board.

The pimps getting killed on the show seem to be a highlight for me. I remember Leon shooting Reggie in Season 1 and how nonchalant he was. He just calls the police and says "I just shot a nig*er, come and get him". Then we got CC and Rodney getting killed in Season 2, both deaths were unexpected and out of nowhere.

I have to say though, i'm not that big into Lawrence Gilliard Jr/Chris Alston's character arc in the show. I just think he's a boring character to be honest and I don't really care about his story. It just doesn't really work for me compared to other characters arcs.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I have to say I enjoyed Season 2 more than Season 1. In Season 1 I was kind've unsure about what to think about the show, but Season 2 I was fully on board.

The pimps getting killed on the show seem to be a highlight for me. I remember Leon shooting Reggie in Season 1 and how nonchalant he was. He just calls the police and says "I just shot a nig*er, come and get him". Then we got CC and Rodney getting killed in Season 2, both deaths were unexpected and out of nowhere.

I have to say though, i'm not that big into Lawrence Gilliard Jr/Chris Alston's character arc in the show. I just think he's a boring character to be honest and I don't really care about his story. It just doesn't really work for me compared to other characters arcs.

Both CC and Rodney had it coming. Rodney was out of his head most of the time and losing control. CC, while measured in many respects, was a total megalomaniac and he pushed the wrong people too far.

Ironically it was CC who advised the other pimps not to lay a finger on Ashley as she is now a civilian. Sad thing is not even Abby who wailed over her turned up at her burial in the end and rather even more strikingly nobody really missed CC gone. Not even his fellow pimps. Life goes on in the Deuce.

Im sensing Larry Gilliards character might come more into focus in the final season when there is a real push to clean up New York. The old guard of the pimps are gone and i think the rest will follow next series. There was one interesting line back early in the series when Gene Goldman says that New Yorks two greatest crime fighters are sheet rock and crane. Inevitably the plans for Manhattans Disneyfication are advanced in the pipeline

• Advertisement

Fcuk me that was good

Did I miss a scene where Ashley got killed? We know it was the pimps but do we know for sure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Did I miss a scene where Ashley got killed? We know it was the pimps but do we know for sure?

No it didn't show it

The pimps were discussing how to deal with the Ashley problem in the previous episode and ironically it was CC who advised them that killing Ashley, who is now a normal civilian would be bad for business. The unusual thing about that dialogue and the way he spoke of her is that it would seem Ashley had actually finally commanded CCs respect
    Im guessing they still ignored him but they never even showed the scene itself. In fact im guessing like myself that people expected that the body found behind the dumpster would have been CC himself. As for CC, while we cant say for sure how he was disposed of, id imagine 8 out of 10 cats prefer him :pac:

The pimps were discussing how to deal with the Ashley problem in the previous episode and ironically it was CC who advised them that killing Ashley, who is now a normal civilian would be bad for business. The unusual thing about that dialogue and the way he spoke of her is that it would seem Ashley had actually finally commanded CCs respect
    Im guessing they still ignored him but they never even showed the scene itself. In fact im guessing like myself that people expected that the body found behind the dumpster would have been CC himself. As for CC, while we cant say for sure how he was disposed of, id imagine 8 out of 10 cats prefer him :pac:

Yeah the foot looked black as well. I was wondering why CC had her bag :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I wish they'd shown it, I didn't like her character at all and the storyline with her handing out the leaflets bored the arse off me.

Great show

NDWC wrote: »
    I wish they'd shown it, I didn't like her character at all and the storyline with her handing out the leaflets bored the arse off me.

Great show

I wonder was it too grim to show. I'd say it wasn't pretty at all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

If it was too grim for HBO I'd be very worried :pac:

Id imagine the maggots had worked their way well through her at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

Reminded me of
    Frank Sobotka's
    death in The Wire, that also happened off screen.

• Advertisement

Reminded me of
    Frank Sobotka's
    death in The Wire, that also happened off screen.

Difference is there was a clear implication that
    Sobotka was about to meet his death
    whereas there was a debate on whether Ashley/Dorothy should be clipped

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Great stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Great Podcast with Alec Baldwin called Heres the thing. There is an episode from last October and an interview with Maggie Gyllenhaal and it is she talks about The Deuce.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭blackwave

Trailer released looking forward to this now.

Herc from the Wire making an appearance :)489449.JPG

Jobs for the boys

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Jobs for the boys

Yes please. Anytime i see any actor from The Wire in anything else the urge to put on an episode of The Wire cannot be resisted.

• Advertisement

Just 5 days to go to the new season folks

Advertisement