Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Championship Tipping Competition

• 02-08-2018 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

Scoring 1pt for predicting a win for a higher rated player. 3 for a draw and 5 for a lower player win. You are allowed 3 predictions per round. Please put your running total beside your score each day so we know how everyone is doing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

Sodacat (0) first round predictions. Draws for Fox.Scott and Carroll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

sodacat11 wrote: »
    Scoring 1pt for predicting a win for a higher rated player. 3 for a draw and 5 for a lower player win. You are allowed 3 predictions per round. Please put your running total beside your score each day so we know how everyone is doing.

Can we make two different predictions for the same game as an each-way bet, e.g. a draw or a win for the lower-rated player?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sepp Blatter

Sodacat predicting results for two, yes TWO under 1900 players!! Hmmm, it seems that the whistle-blower has become the whistle, so to speak. ������ #ratinggate #maytheratingsbeeverinyourfavour

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭zeitnot

zeitnot (0) first round predictions: win for Cafolla. Draws for Keogh, Nolan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

Tim Harding (0) round one predictions:

Fox draw (good suggestion by sodacat; Jessel will need to avoid the Exchange French to avoid a repeat of their 2015 result)
    and either
    Bourached WIN
    or
    Bourached DRAW (that's my each-way bet)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

Tim Harding (0) round one predictions:

Fox draw (good suggestion by sodacat; Jessel will need to avoid the Exchange French to avoid a repeat of their 2015 result)
    and either
    Bourached WIN
    or
    Bourached DRAW (that's my each-way bet)

Tempted by the Bourached double myself - he’s on fire.

RLC (0): draws for Carroll, fox and Bourached

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

The draw is here btw - http://chess-results.com/tnr357006.aspx?lan=1&art=2&rd=1

Hard to see much value in round 1. I'll go wins for Babs and Collins, and a sneaky draw for the wily Fox.

Can we make two different predictions for the same game as an each-way bet, e.g. a draw or a win for the lower-rated player?

Yes but it counts as two of your three predictions.

Sodacat predicting results for two, yes TWO under 1900 players!! Hmmm, it seems that the whistle-blower has become the whistle, so to speak. ������ #ratinggate #maytheratingsbeeverinyourfavour

I never said that players below 1900 aren't good enough, my point is simply that they aren't qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭EnPassant

EnPassant (0) - wins for Alice O'Gorman, Luke Scott and Peter Carroll, the three lowest-rated players with white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

zeitnot wrote: »

There are 2 Nolan's.

zeitnot wrote: »

There are two Nolans, so after an EGM of the ruling executive( and the toss of a coin) it has been decided that your "Nolan" will be Dermot Nolan unless you adjust your original selections.

There are two Nolans, so after an EGM of the ruling executive( and the toss of a coin) it has been decided that your "Nolan" will be Dermot Nolan unless you adjust your original selections.

zeitnot (0): win for Cafolla. Draws for Keogh, C. Nolan.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Ciaran (0): Draw for Luke Scott, wins for Alex Baburin and Sam Collins.

Should give me a two-point lead over all the romantics going for all upsets. :)

Ciaran wrote: »
    Ciaran (0): Draw for Luke Scott, wins for Alex Baburin and Sam Collins.

Should give me a two-point lead over all the romantics going for all upsets. :)

Spoken like someone who probably plays the Exchange French and The Centre Counter. Unlikely as it seems , there will be some surprise results in the first round. Whichever of us "romantics" latches on to one of them will be in the lead with three points or more come round two.

There'll be an upset or two - 400 point gap means it should be 1.5 points against seed.

It's predicting who'll get them is the hard part :)

Spoken like someone who probably plays the Exchange French

I've never been so insulted!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ChessPlayer123

ChessPlayer123 (0) predicts win for Carroll and Collins, draw for Fox

Ciaran wrote: »
    I've never been so insulted!

My humblest apologies, it was a terrible thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

This is a fantastic idea! I'm in!

Win: Lopez
    Draw: Fox and Tirziman

Username Round 1 Total
    Sodacat Draw Fox Draw Scott Draw Carroll
    Zeitnot Win Carfolla Draw Keogh Draw C. Nolan
    Tim Harding Draw Fox Draw Bourached Win Bourached
    Retd.LoyolaCpt Draw Fox Draw Bourached Draw Carroll
    cdeb Win Baburin Win Collins Draw Fox
    EnPassant Win A. O'Gorman Win Scott Win Carroll
    Ciaran Win Baburin Win Collins Draw Scott
    ChessPlayer123  Win Collins Win Carroll Draw Fox
    Reunion Win Lopez Draw Fox Draw Tirziman

• Advertisement

This could be harder fought than the Irish Championship itself. I am putting up a trophy for the winner and a wooden spoon for whoever comes last. The presentation will be made in the bar of the Bunratty Castle Hotel on the Friday night of the tournament. Obviously players will have to reveal their identities to claim their prizes.

The big question now is will sodacat choose to play on for a win if offered a draw, knowing that a draw will do harm in this competition?

It's a scandal, I tells ya!

Well, the Romantics were justified!

A great win for Tony Fox against Jessel, and four draws - and four of the five results were predicted by someone here, with the fifth - Alice's draw - being picked as a win.

Alas, I was going to go for a draw for Peter Carroll, but Gerry's form against lower-rated players in our club championships talked me out of it, and I had the wily Fox, but to draw, not to win! At least I wasn't alone in that; 6 of us had Fox to draw.

Still one result outstanding - Wall v Melaugh G - but no-one went for that, and so the standings after round 1 are -

3 - Retd.LoyolaCpt (is there anything he can't turn his hand to?! :p)
    3 - Sodacat
    3 - Zeitnot (too much faith in Cafolla! A brave bid picking him to beat Tom O'Gorman FM, and a great result from Peter in holding his better to a draw)
    2 - cdeb
    2 - Ciaran
    1 - ChessPlayer123 (though he did pick no defeats)
    1 - Reunion
    0 - EnPassant (but kudos on a brave bid for early glory in predicting three unseeded wins. The King's Gambit of predictions - risky, objectively unsound, but you do only live once)
    0 - Tim Harding (the interesting double bet failed as Bourached lost)

Round 2 draw expected in the next hour or so I guess, once the final two games conclude.

Wall beats Melaugh G as expected - so the round 2 draw is available. Go nuts!

I'm going to chance a draw for Short on 1, a win for Li on 4 and a draw for Tirziman on 16

Zeitnot (3) for round 2: win for Li. Draws for Short, Daly.

Zeitnot (3) for round 2 (changed after I noticed my earlier picks overlapped with 2 of cdeb’s):

Win for Short. Draws for Daly, Li.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

I can see McGinley having a big impact this year. Has been there or there abouts for a while now. Only a matter of time I feel

The golfer fella?

Ciaran (2) for round 2: Win for Tirziman. Draws for Short and O'Neill.

• Advertisement

Where is the draw for round 2?

Advertisement