Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil boiler upgrade cost

Options
  • 24-07-2018 7:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just wondering for a ballpark figure as to how much it might cost to replace my almost 20 year old oil boiler..

I would like a grant vortex condensing oil boiler, suitable to heat approx 14 rads in a 1600 sq ft home.

I do not have zoned heating at the moment, but would like to have 3 zones - upstairs, downstairs and hot water.

What should it cost to get all the above, and is there anything that I need to consider?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Doing similar upgrade here waiting on costs, also doing hot water cylinder as well. Will give you price when i get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You can do the 3 zones with 2 nests, one for downstairs and hot water and one for upstiars. Check over in the home automation forum there's a good few options not sure if Electic ireland are still doing an install deal on them. I'd say between everything including the boiler about 2-3k

Shop around for the hot water cylinder you'll need an expansion tank with it as well. There's huge variations in price for the same model. I'll check mine tomorw and see what it is know I paid about €700 it's duel fuel oil and solar but just have the 2 elements heated by oil can add solar then at some stage if it's cheap enough.
    Put in a water pump while I was at it to make the water system pressurised, that was a good move. Great pressure now and love the pumped shower haven't used the electric one since no comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

deravarra wrote: »
    Hi all, just wondering for a ballpark figure as to how much it might cost to replace my almost 20 year old oil boiler..

I would like a grant vortex condensing oil boiler, suitable to heat approx 14 rads in a 1600 sq ft home.

I do not have zoned heating at the moment, but would like to have 3 zones - upstairs, downstairs and hot water.

What should it cost to get all the above, and is there anything that I need to consider?

If you do not have zoned heating already(even a valve to seperate the zones) you will be looking at a alot of money to repipe it in 3 zones.
    Depending on the layout it can be a re plumb.

Another option to look at would be the honeywell evohome which would give you 14 zones and aloow you to heat each room to whatever temperature you need.
    It is expensive but a great system.

Expect quotes for a boiler only swap in the region of 3k

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Have heat downstairs with hot water, and valve to control upstairs. Been told can get 3 zone though will need to move boiler. Was talking to plumbers about pump to pressurize system they are not in favor of it, and prefer eph for controls I have a nest already so would need one more for 3 zone will chat more to them when price comes in. How do people rate the warmflow against the grant vortex ?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

raytaxi wrote: »
    Have heat downstairs with hot water, and valve to control upstairs. Been told can get 3 zone though will need to move boiler. Was talking to plumbers about pump to pressurize system they are not in favor of it, and prefer eph for controls I have a nest already so would need one more for 3 zone will chat more to them when price comes in. How do people rate the warmflow against the grant vortex ?

Vortex over a warmflow anyday!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Eminence

Around 1000 for boiler
    Just under 1000 for cylinder, stat, expansion vessel etc (decent one like Kingspan)
    Depending on piping the zoning might be a cheap or expensive job, could be re plumb of the hot press.
    In easiest scenario id imagine around 2600 could go upto 4000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

You wont get a grant vortex/flue for 1000 or even near it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,739 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Eminence wrote: »
    Around 1000 for boiler
    Just under 1000 for cylinder, stat, expansion vessel etc (decent one like Kingspan)
    Depending on piping the zoning might be a cheap or expensive job, could be re plumb of the hot press.
    In easiest scenario id imagine around 2600 could go upto 4000.

You wouldn’t get any oil boiler installed ‘properly’ for less the 2.5k. Adding in controls will nearly always bring the job up to around 4k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    You wouldn’t get any oil boiler installed ‘properly’ for less the 2.5k. Adding in controls will nearly always bring the job up to around 4k

What controls would add 1500 to the cost??

What controls would add 1500 to the cost??

All of them

Time clock, room stats, motorised valves, cylinder stats, re piping if needed, wiring, junction boxes, conduit etc and other bits, along with labour dosent be long adding up

• Advertisement

All of them

Time clock, room stats, motorised valves, cylinder stats, re piping if needed, wiring, junction boxes, conduit etc and other bits, along with labour dosent be long adding up

I've gotten a ballpark quote of about 2500 for boiler replacement and zoned heating - which would include motorized valves, repiping, wiring ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I've gotten a ballpark quote of about 2500 for boiler replacement and zoned heating - which would include motorized valves, repiping, wiring ...

Something not right about that price. Either he is cutting corners on materials or he is charging very very little money for labour.
    Breakdown the price by taking off the 13.5% vat.
    If you add up, Boiler, Boiler Flue, Circulation Pump and pump valves, Mag Filter, Fuel Fire Valve, Fuel Filter, Fuel isolation valve, pressre relief valve, water pressure gauge, connectors and fittings and we are still at the boiler location!
    Then add up 2 or 3 zone heating control kit, wiring, conduit, extra copper pipework and fittings to split the system.

I'd be double checking what he is fitting for you, how he plans to split the system and how long he will take.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Something not right about that price. Either he is cutting corners on materials or he is charging very very little money for labour.
    Breakdown the price by taking off the 13.5% vat.
    If you add up, Boiler, Boiler Flue, Circulation Pump and pump valves, Mag Filter, Fuel Fire Valve, Fuel Filter, Fuel isolation valve, pressre relief valve, water pressure gauge, connectors and fittings and we are still at the boiler location!
    Then add up 2 or 3 zone heating control kit, wiring, conduit, extra copper pipework and fittings to split the system.

I'd be double checking what he is fitting for you, how he plans to split the system and how long he will take.

This guy is no cowboy - he's done a bit of work for me before and never charged me anything exhorbitant. Perhaps it's the difference between Dublin and country pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

This guy is no cowboy - he's done a bit of work for me before and never charged me anything exhorbitant. Perhaps it's the difference between Dublin and country pricing.

Has he installed many new condensing oil boilers to today's specifications.
    A quick mental tally of raw materials left very little to cover labour.
    Is he flushing the system, fitting a mag filter and new pump etc?
    If his labour is cheap, fine, thats up to him, as long as the boiler and ancillary works are done to the manufacturers specifications and OFTEC standards.

Well im talking country prices as I work in Laois. It doesn’t get more country than that.
    Just cause some guy fixed a leak or replaced a toilet dosent mean he’s a good plumber. Not saying he isn’t either btw.
    Get back to us and let us know if he’s charging vat, what type of boiler he’s fitting, and find out if the above list that k.flyer mentioned Is being used

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

as agusta said earlier about boiler price

1300 for boiler and flue would be nearer the price maybe a few quid less

jimf wrote: »
    as agusta said earlier about boiler price

1300 for boiler and flue would be nearer the price maybe a few quid less

It’s going up to nearly 1400 very soon

It’s going up to nearly 1400 very soon

that's a bit of a jump dtp

that's a bit of a jump dtp

It is. Heatmerchants told me grant themselves were riding the price

On a side note I see firebird have finally done away with that crappy condensate trap. My god they were soooo bad. The new one looks bulletproof in fairness

• Advertisement

ive fitted a couple of the ss ones so much better

ive fitted a couple of the ss ones so much better

No cleaning cap on it but I’m a few taps and a shot of water though it would do it

i don't think they have any internal workings dtp

i don't think they have any internal workings dtp

Same as most firebirds ;). Good trap though

The new trap is bullet proof,i.e,it wont melt.But...
    a/ Indoor utility firebird enviromax ,condensate waste pipe connected to a waste stack.What will stop back smells from the waste stack back into the boiler and out through the burner head?, especially during the summer months when the boiler is not being used.

agusta wrote: »
    The new trap is bullet proof,i.e,it wont melt.But...
    a/ Indoor utility firebird enviromax ,condensate waste pipe connected to a waste stack.What will stop back smells from the waste stack back into the boiler and out through the burner head?, especially during the summer months when the boiler is not being used.

The way it’s designed I’m pretty sure it’s a water trap

Yes, but the condensate water in the trap will evaporate in the summer months.

Id try a different merchant,no way grant are bring up there prices 10 percent

i hope this should read rising :D:D:D

• Advertisement

agusta wrote: »
    Id try a different merchant,no way grant are bring up there prices 10 percent

im be shocked agusta usually 2.5/3% is their increase and that's not very often

Advertisement