Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GDPR and Boards.ie post removal policy **update linked in OP 24/5/18**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Let’s discuss this separately, as it’s going off topic from GDPR, and I want to understand what you’re seeing first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

NP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Snowseer

Beasty wrote: »
    e-mail details are removed when an account is closed, so the site cannot make that link

Just to note on this - reverse hashes are possible. Boards can hash an email address and, it seems, keep it for 30 days or so.

Now - hashes aren’t decryptable. I can’t take a hash and McGyver my way to your email address.

But, I can compare this hash to another list of hashes. A list full of email addresses + hashes. Find a match that’s linked with an address - yay - I know your email address.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Snowseer wrote: »
    Just to note on this - reverse hashes are possible. Boards can hash an email address and, it seems, keep it for 30 days or so.

Now - hashes aren’t decryptable. I can’t take a hash and McGyver my way to your email address.

But, I can compare this hash to another list of hashes. A list full of email addresses + hashes. Find a match that’s linked with an address - yay - I know your email address.

My email hash is 43307bb5a6588447270a4d81cce6f3ff)

If you email me there within 30 days, I'll give you €100 and resign as a mod here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Batzoo

Steve wrote: »
    My email hash is 43307bb5a6588447270a4d81cce6f3ff)

If you email me there within 30 days, I'll give you €100 and resign as a mod here. :)

Assuming that was a valid hash and not a troll, you may want to give this site a look...
    https://freedom-to-tinker.com/2018/04/09/four-cents-to-deanonymize-companies-reverse-hashed-email-addresses/

The upshot (TL:DR) of that article is that there are about 5 Billion valid email addresses in use. One single Amazon EC2 machine at the cost of $0.0069 will calculate 450 billion hashes in one second. So its honestly not inconceivable to reverse a common hash and extrapolate the original email by brute force and a little knowledge. Even quicker if it is a genuine email and was pwned in any of the leaks over the last several years.

There are also companies that will provide this service for you if you dont know how yourself. https://datafinder.com/products/email-recovery
    Will recover emails from hashes for $0.04 per email, but have a minimum order value of $99. So your €100 prize leaves a little profit for anyone interested.

Just a general thread comment below, not specific to any user or the above.
    With GDPR, everybody is an "expert" and "opinions" vary on the details. Boards have no real option when requested but to comply and delete all associated posts and quotes attributed to the data subject. While the spirit of GDPR is personally identifiable information, the tiniest bit of information in the right hands can open the floodgates to someones life history. To cover themselves, a full deletion of posts and quoted material is required. This will persist until the GDPR is tested in the courts and a clearer guideline is set.

Will this ruin boards, no, IMHO this happened a long time ago. But this GDPR assault on boards will only be a tiny fraction of the user base. And will mainly consist of users who spit the dummy at a mod decision and don't get their way in dispute resolution.

Ultimately GDPR is good and now is the time to clear up your drunken web rants from the last 20 years while there is still confusion on the details and everybody is extra cautious to be compliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

GDPR states that the person has the right to have data removed. It does not state it has to be easy.

If a button was added to every post, users can go in and delete every post manually if they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭blackwhite

salonfire wrote: »
    GDPR states that the person has the right to have data removed. It does not state it has to be easy.

If a button was added to every post, users can go in and delete every post manually if they want.

GDPR doesn’t provide for the right to have any data removed - just “personal data.”

The debate around what does, and doesn’t, constitute personal data under the regulation is still open until we see some test cases, but defining it as any data at all is beyond even the most wide-reaching interpretations that any legal professionals have suggested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Out of curiosity since you seem to be one of the first ones to have gone through it, was the process quick and easy to get all your posts deleted? (bar the few glitches with the deletion script).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

May take a long time, but still meets the definition of the law I imagine.

The alternative is going to make threads unreadable imo.

A real shame to see history removed just like that. A lot of valuable contributions are going to be lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

salonfire wrote: »
    May take a long time, but still meets the definition of the law I imagine.

To meet the definition of the law, boards would have to review each of the individual requests though.

So imagine it worked as you suggest and a poster who has a history of 20000 posts actually cares about deletions and spends hundreds of hours going through their history before submitting a list of 19677 posts they want deleted.

Boards will then have to either blank accept the deletion and delete these posts (which might be a total pain depending on how easy it is to write a script which will do it automatically and reliably based on how the data deletion request was formatted by the user).

Or if they want to “protect” some posts which are not deemed personal data they will have to go through these 19677 posts, review each of them and explain why some of them are not deemed personal data and they refuse to delete them.

Let alone the requester, none of this is really practical for boards and full deletion is probably the best way to go in these situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

dollylama wrote: »
    Do people actually believe this? I can't see why posters would suddenly begin clearing their posts en masse just because the option has been made available. Some people will want to remove old posts but I would wager the vast majority won't. I would bet even that there's a huge amount of accounts and posts here that the content owner has long since forgotten about

I’m holding out hope that only a handful of forum members are precious enough to have their posting histories deleted. If it’s just a handful, I think the site and its archive will be okay.

• Advertisement

....... wrote: »

I’m not getting into it. I think it’s precious, you don’t. I know you’re a dog with a bone, dotdotdotdotdotdotdot. So have the last word.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

With a lot of supposed good posts that get deleted, an awful lot of old sh!te will be too, so it's swings and roundabouts. In the future. Of course.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

With a lot of supposed good posts that get deleted, an awful lot of old sh!te will be too, so it's swings and roundabouts. In the future. Of course.

Well, sure. But the rubbish can just be ignored. They are worth having there to keep the good posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Well, sure. But the rubbish can just be ignored. They are worth having there to keep the good posts.

I think you're right though, about it hopefully only being a handful that bother.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

....... and _Dara_ can we stay on-topic here please?

....... and _Dara_ can we stay on-topic here please?

My very first post today was on topic. That I was hopeful that very few posters would take such a drastic step. Because if it gains traction, the site is fecked. And that could affect the employees of boards.ie such as yourself, Niamh.
    ....... wrote: »
    Personal abuse because you have no real argument to make _Dara_?

I wasn’t aware that there was an argument. :) I stated my hopes with regard to this GDPR stuff. And I do consider deleting one’s entire post history to be both self-absorbed and drastic.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

With regard earlier discussion about our deletion policy - it's not ideal at all but it has been formulated based on legal advice received specifically for Boards. We can't afford to pay for legal advice and then potentially pay the price (literally €€€) for ignoring it. We have no option but to follow the legal advice until such a time as cases clarifying the exact terms of GDPR are taken. These may or may not result in different legal advice for us but only time will tell.

We expected that there would be a glut of requests at the start and that it would ease off after a time and that seems to be the case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

With regard earlier discussion about our deletion policy - it's not ideal at all but it has been formulated based on legal advice received specifically for Boards. We can't afford to pay for legal advice and then potentially pay the price (literally €€€) for ignoring it. We have no option but to follow the legal advice until such a time as cases clarifying the exact terms of GDPR are taken. These may or may not result in different legal advice for us but only time will tell.

We expected that there would be a glut of requests at the start and that it would ease off after a time and that seems to be the case.

I asked earlier but can you give any statistics. How many posters have asked to delete all or the majority of their posts up to now?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement