Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GDPR and Boards.ie post removal policy **update linked in OP 24/5/18**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,265 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Beasty wrote: »
    I think I have mentioned earlier in this thread, I suspect there will be test cases that will determine exactly what constitutes personal data in the context of sites like this and posts users make.

I suspect, in line with other areas of potential litigation, this site has decided it really would not wish to become the subject of such a test case (which could be very expensive), and has therefore erred on the side of caution when determining policy in this area (and to be clear, Admins are not part of this type of policy decision). In doing so, the deletion of poster histories is certainly disruptive, removing what may be considered valuable content by other users. Unfortunately though that is where we currently are in light of the interpretation placed on this legislation.

Fair enough Beasty. Hopefully the current state isn't permanent as it's not ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

By the way, the link about update as was provided on 24th May was deleted when the OPs requested for all their posts to be removed.

Can this link be reinstated or is it a little more complicated as a request of the post deletion request having been carried out in the meantime? If that's the case you might as well hide post 1 and allow for post 2 to be the first one you see.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I think I have mentioned earlier in this thread, I suspect there will be test cases that will determine exactly what constitutes personal data in the context of sites like this and posts users make.

I suspect, in line with other areas of potential litigation, this site has decided it really would not wish to become the subject of such a test case (which could be very expensive), and has therefore erred on the side of caution when determining policy in this area (and to be clear, Admins are not part of this type of policy decision). In doing so, the deletion of poster histories is certainly disruptive, removing what may be considered valuable content by other users. Unfortunately though that is where we currently are in light of the interpretation placed on this legislation.

I wonder if there is any plans for a test case to be put before the courts.. as you say in the meantime there is a stasis which exists upon mass post deletions being carried out.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

By the way, the link about update as was provided on 24th May was deleted when the OPs requested for all their posts to be removed.

Can this link be reinstated or is it a little more complicated as a request of the post deletion request having been carried out in the meantime? If that's the case you might as well hide post 1 and allow for post 2 to be the first one you see.
    I've just copied Sean's update post into the OP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

The problem is simple enough,
    That would not
    This would be deleted.
    deal with the quoted post issue though (although as already noted there seems to be a glitch on that)
    This would not as I manipulated the quote (to separate and reply separately to some of it)
    Beasty wrote:
    Something something other bullcrap
    Not sure what would happen this but it is a total fabrication and not something you said.

Depends what the GDPR algorithm picks up on. My opinion is that the individual requesting deletion should be the one responsible for specifying each and every post / quote they want deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Steve wrote: »

Not sure what would happen this but it is a total fabrication and not something you said.
    Are you suggesting I make a request for deletion of my life on Boards to test this:confused:

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

I doubt it - how can you "prove" you were the owner of such accounts?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I'm only a humble CMod, you can delete me, I can't delete you... :D

Point is, and it's apparent in this thread where I've split some of the OP's posts into multiple quotes that only the original part with the link to the original post is deleted.

I don't think any judge would find it reasonable to compel a site like this to trawl over 30,000 posts for possible partial quotes.

• Advertisement

When you close an account, the email association is removed and deleted. Therefore, you are no longer 'identifiable' under GDPR.

A closed account:
    Public posts - anyone can see
    Deleted posts - mods / cmods / admins can see if they have mod powers where they were posted.
    PMs - none of us can see (closed account or not).

Note. admins include boards staff.

e-mail details are removed when an account is closed, so the site cannot make that link

And to add, but I haven't checked, history of infractions / bans is probably still visible to mods.

If you link me to a closed account (even by PM) I can check and let you know.

May be plenty of circumstantial evidence, but that ultimately proves nothing

Anyway, I am just speaking from what I know as an Admin. I'm sure someone will be along from the office in due course to confirm or otherwise

• Advertisement

In software terms, it can be proven. In religious terms, good luck proving the existence of hell :)

Yes we can see cards and bans on closed accounts

Prisoner 6753, to confirm what Beasty said, I can see the ban / card history for the account you pm'd me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If a card has been reversed, then the standard mod interface won’t show the card. Your record will appear as if it never happened.

Admins and HQ have deeper tools and will be able to see the history.

There is a card issued 16:23 12-11-2017 for Backseat Moderation that was reversed 13:29 17-11-2017. obviously not going to post any more details than that..

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    If a card has been reversed, then the standard mod interface won’t show the card. Your record will appear as if it never happened.

Admins and HQ have deeper tools and will be able to see the history.

Em, are you sure of that?

I can see reversed cards, pretty sure all mods can.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement