Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GDPR and Boards.ie post removal policy **update linked in OP 24/5/18**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

salonfire wrote: »
    It's so ridiculous.

Surely if they need to delete data to comply with the law and protect personal data, then logically everyone's data needs to be deleted.

Laws apply to all people, not just those that request it.

If this catches on and more and more posts are removed, it will destroy boards.

The law says your posts belong to you and you can request their deletion anytime you want. It also says my posts belong to me and I can request their deletion anytime I want.

So it absolutely applies equally to both of us, and it is up to each of us to decide if we want to use that right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Patww79 wrote: »
    No, it's all one part of a big jigsaw and there are some very stalky people out there. You had your chance to oppose this at the time so why pipe up and try **** it up for the rest of us now?

If you want your posts left then don't have them deleted.

... the point is other posters posts are being in esesence deleted if the main context of the reply has been removed. Your reply as being part of a big jigsaw is a sweeping and asinine statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,291 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Are boards working on a better deletion policy? As in, deleting only posts that have personal information attached.

What are other sites doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Someone's information is more important than your feelings on the structure of a thread.

What information is important enough in this thread, to warrant being deleted, on the basis that it invades your right to privacy. This is general discussion on a topic about GDPR where people are using pseudonyms to interact.

You are missing the point entirely with anger and negative hostility.

What information is important enough in this thread, to warrant being deleted, on the basis that it invades your right to privacy. This is general discussion on a topic about GDPR where people are using pseudonyms to interact.

Interested to hear what other sites are doing.

Surely posts with no personal information in them can be kept.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Are boards working on a better deletion policy? As in, deleting only posts that have personal information attached.
    Who decides that though?

The point has been made that a post containing mention of something as innocuous as hair colour could, in combination with numerous other minor pieces of info in other posts, be used to identify a poster.

Anyway, I doubt Boards staff have the time or inclination to start debating single posts with posters on that point.

The deletion of the OP's entire post history, which was many thousands of posts, and some of which most likely were posts with just a couple of words like 'Me too' or 'I don't think so', suggests to me that any request for deletion will just be accepted.

• Advertisement

osarusan wrote: »
    Who decides that though?

The point has been made that a post containing mention of something as innocuous as hair colour could, in combination with numerous other minor pieces of info in other posts, be used to identify a poster.

Anyway, I doubt Boards staff have the time or inclination to start debating single posts with posters on that point.

The deletion of the OP's entire post history, which was many thousands of posts, and some of which most likely were posts with just a couple of words like 'Me too' or 'I don't think so', suggests to me that any request for deletion will just be accepted.

I hear you. That's the challenge. Just wondering have boards something in place to make it better than it is now.

Also, are they benchmarking against similar sites.

Who decides that though?

What about quoted posts then?

What about quoted posts then?

A few of the OP's quoted posts on this thread seem to have slipped through the net so far, but I expect they will be deleted soon. I haven't looked at any other posts they might have had elsewhere.

Deleting quoted posts might be more of a technical challenge than simply deleting posts directly.

EDIT: There's also the possibility that when people quote a post, and they delete the parts of it they are not replying to, they might accidentally mess up the identifying code for that post, making them harder to find automatically.

A few of the OP's quoted posts on this thread seem to have slipped through the net so far, but I expect they will be deleted soon. I haven't looked at any other posts they might have had elsewhere.

Deleting quoted posts might be more of a technical challenge than simply deleting posts directly.

Do you not agree that it also affects other people's post histories? If there is information which is personal to the poster or hints which may identify them then fair enough.but that's not the case in this thread.

Do you not agree that it also affects other people's post histories?

Definitely it will affect that. I can imagine old threads where one poster will have quoted and replied to a post, and the quoted post will now just say 'This post has been deleted', leaving it all a bit less comprehensible.
    If there is information which is personal to the poster or hints which may identify them then fair enough.but that's not the case in this thread.

Again, I don't think that Boards would be able to examine each post individually on that basis. The OP alone had made many thousands of posts across the site, and there are thousands of posters on the site, any and all of whom could potentially start requesting deletion of posts.

I didn't say it would reduce their post count, just that the posts themselves would be affected by losing the quoted content.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I think I have mentioned earlier in this thread, I suspect there will be test cases that will determine exactly what constitutes personal data in the context of sites like this and posts users make.

I suspect, in line with other areas of potential litigation, this site has decided it really would not wish to become the subject of such a test case (which could be very expensive), and has therefore erred on the side of caution when determining policy in this area (and to be clear, Admins are not part of this type of policy decision). In doing so, the deletion of poster histories is certainly disruptive, removing what may be considered valuable content by other users. Unfortunately though that is where we currently are in light of the interpretation placed on this legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

[snipped] We know all about him because he was keen not just to tell us not just his political ideas, but where he lives now, where he lived before, where he came from in Ireland, how many kids he had, his wife’s age, how they met and so on.

He even participated in an AMA.

Now he deletes everything.

Don’t share that crap to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dollylama

Can admins confirm, are quoted posts be deleted on request?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

dollylama wrote: »
    Can admins confirm, are quoted posts be deleted on request?
    If a request is made to delete an entire posting history under GDPR, that extends to the bits that are quoted. Any comments about the quoted post remain

As already pointed out there appears to be a glitch where quoted posts are snipped by the "quoter". I'm sure someone from the office will have a look at this when they are back in during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Why didn't you make changes to the edit button to allow users make changes and delete if they wanted?

That would allow them delete their data.

If they wanted to be forgotten, they could ... by going through each of the 15,000 posts and clicking the button.

Better chance of maintaining the data structure that way.

If this delete posts options gather legs (like the Close Account feature did), Boards is finished.

Why didn't you make changes to the edit button to allow users make changes and delete if they wanted?

That would not deal with the quoted post issue though (although as already noted there seems to be a glitch on that)

If this delete posts options gather legs (like the Close Account feature did), Boards is finished.

Do people actually believe this? I can't see why posters would suddenly begin clearing their posts en masse just because the option has been made available. Some people will want to remove old posts but I would wager the vast majority won't. I would bet even that there's a huge amount of accounts and posts here that the content owner has long since forgotten about

Beasty wrote: »
    That would not deal with the quoted post issue though (although as already noted there seems to be a glitch on that)

Yes, but maybe it could be programmed so that when a single post is edited (or deleted), it could have propagated to the quoted posts as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

If they wanted to be forgotten, they could ... by going through each of the 15,000 posts and clicking the button.

Better chance of maintaining the data structure that way.

If you were to post in Ah or S&D(my 2 forums) and then in 24 hours edit the post to reduce it to a full stop I as the mod could still see the original post.

The boards software would have to be changed to allow you,me etc to permanently delete a post forever and that might not be an easy thing to do.

dollylama wrote: »
    Do people actually believe this? I can't see why posters would suddenly begin clearing their posts en masse just because the option has been made available. Some people will want to remove old posts but I would wager the vast majority won't. I would bet even that there's a huge amount of accounts and posts here that the content owner has long since forgotten about

Two scenarios I can think of.

If someone is banned, carded, doesn't agree with a mod's decision, etc and gets into a huff. Knowing they can now disrupt and ruin threads, they request a GDPR delete.

Or, the more prolific posters, those with 1000s of posts decide to call it a day and move on to pastures new. To help quit the habit, they ask for a mass deletion as well.

• Advertisement

Two scenarios I can think of.

If someone is banned, carded, doesn't agree with a mod's decision, etc and gets into a huff. Knowing they can now disrupt and ruin threads, they request a GDPR delete.

Or, the more prolific posters, those with 1000s of posts decide to call it a day and move on to pastures new. To help quit the habit, they ask for a mass deletion as well.

I think myself that boards layout doesn't do itself any favours. On Reddit, posts and often opening posts are deleted but it doesn't distract from the flow as you simply skip onto the next branch of conversation or even reading the comments on the deleted post can give you an idea of what was said.

I look at Facebook to gauge how this might go. Facebook has had the options to delete individual postings or to scrub all traces of the account from day one. Yet they still have over 2 billion users. Why hasn't everyone deleted their accounts? I think really the majority don't care for what they posted and just let their accounts slide into dormancy. You still see the "Delete Facebook" campaign nonsense doing the rounds which could be likened to banned posters here trying to ruin a thread as you say by requesting deletion. It's goes largely unnoticed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement