Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭chabsey

Ah Lazare that is brutal. Your first half marathon distance too.

Annoying but not as annoying as forgetting to sync your watch during the taper and so having it seek GPS signal for the first 6km of the actual marathon. So Strava doesn't think I've ever run more than 36k. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

chabsey wrote: »
    Annoying but not as annoying as forgetting to sync your watch during the taper and so having it seek GPS signal for the first 6km of the actual marathon. So Strava doesn't think I've ever run more than 36k. :mad:

Noooooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

I don't follow......

How do you sync your watch during a taper and why would that be necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Physio.G

Hey Guys, Gary here and I'm a Physio.

I have just had a read through as much of the thread that I could. Everyone seems to be doing well and enjoying training so far.

just wanted to let you all know I will try and answer as much of your questions as I can. If you're feeling any niggles or have any aches/pains. please describe what youre experiencing in the comments and i'll get back to you asap.

I'd love to be part of a positive Marathon experience.

Gary.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Physio.G wrote: »

I have just had a read through as much of the thread that I could. Everyone seems to be doing well and enjoying training so far.

just wanted to let you all know I will try and answer as much of your questions as I can. If you're feeling any niggles or have any aches/pains. please describe what youre experiencing in the comments and i'll get back to you asap.

Gary.

Thanks for coming on board and taking the time Gary,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 mrs happyfeet

Hey everyone , love reading how ye're all getting on. haven't posted here since my introduction but have been following all the posts. Training going well, love ticking of the training runs. I did Clontarf half marathon in the sweltering heat last Sat. Everyone kept saying it'll be grand and you won't notice the heat coz of the sea breeze. There was no sea breeze!!!! Was soooooooo tough. it was an out and back route and about 3k each way was on the sand. it was mostly hard compacted sand but still very uneven and hard to run on. felt like I was running in the desert ( bit of a drama queen). Anyway, had been hoping for around a 2.15 - 2.20 finish but came in at 2.38 after a good few water breaks and bit of walking. This was 12 min pace. was soooo glad to see that finish line. Glad I did it now that it's over and I'm hoping it'll stand to me at some point!
    I'm following Hal Higdon novice 2 mainly because a group of us from running club are training together and that's what plan they were following. Was due to do 3 miles on Monday so I went training with running club. was 5x1k loop with 2 min recovery. Wednesday did 5 miles at 10.40 pace and Thursday 3 miles at 11.05 pace. Due to run 6 miles tomorrow morning. Getting the long runs in early Saturdays mornings is really working for me. Feeling great being home and done my run as rest of the house tucking in to breakfast. Anyone any advice about when to get runners that I want to wear for marathon? my current runners are well worn at this stage but super comfy.

Hey everyone , love reading how ye're all getting on. haven't posted here since my introduction but have been following all the posts. Training going well, love ticking of the training runs. I did Clontarf half marathon in the sweltering heat last Sat. Everyone kept saying it'll be grand and you won't notice the heat coz of the sea breeze. There was no sea breeze!!!! Was soooooooo tough. it was an out and back route and about 3k each way was on the sand. it was mostly hard compacted sand but still very uneven and hard to run on. felt like I was running in the desert ( bit of a drama queen). Anyway, had been hoping for around a 2.15 - 2.20 finish but came in at 2.38 after a good few water breaks and bit of walking. This was 12 min pace. was soooo glad to see that finish line. Glad I did it now that it's over and I'm hoping it'll stand to me at some point!
    I'm following Hal Higdon novice 2 mainly because a group of us from running club are training together and that's what plan they were following. Was due to do 3 miles on Monday so I went training with running club. was 5x1k loop with 2 min recovery. Wednesday did 5 miles at 10.40 pace and Thursday 3 miles at 11.05 pace. Due to run 6 miles tomorrow morning. Getting the long runs in early Saturdays mornings is really working for me. Feeling great being home and done my run as rest of the house tucking in to breakfast. Anyone any advice about when to get runners that I want to wear for marathon? my current runners are well worn at this stage but super comfy.

I've read and heard a lot about this infamous Clontarf Half marathon. It did cross my mind at one stage to run it was I was strongly advised against it.

I'm no expert but surely running on a surface such as sand (whether it's compacted or not) can't be a good idea?? What's the idea/logic behind it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭chabsey

coogy wrote: »
    I don't follow......

How do you sync your watch during a taper and why would that be necessary?

My old watch (Polar m400) has a built in GPS but if you don't sync it often (once a week or so) with a computer it takes ages to find a GPS connection. Something to do with an almanac file, I looked it up after the event as I was so annoyed.

In any case, because I was on the taper I hadn't tracked a run in over a week and so hadn't sync'd the watch. So, on the morning of the marathon I've everything ready, standing at the starting line and I press 'start' on the watch. Remember the start line is in the city center so there are buildings on each side.

'Searching for GPS...' for the first 6K, eventually picked up a signal in the Phoenix park.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Physio.G wrote: »

Gary.

That's very decent of you Gary. It's much appreciated.

My old watch (Polar m400) has a built in GPS but if you don't sync it often (once a week or so) with a computer it takes ages to find a GPS connection. Something to do with an almanac file, I looked it up after the event as I was so annoyed.

In any case, because I was on the taper I hadn't tracked a run in over a week and so hadn't sync'd the watch. So, on the morning of the marathon I've everything ready, standing at the starting line and I press 'start' on the watch. Remember the start line is in the city center so there are buildings on each side.

'Searching for GPS...' for the first 6K, eventually picked up a signal in the Phoenix park.

OMG!! I'd be livid, and on your big day too.

*makes mental note to have Garmin charged and GPS signal found the night before DCM *

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,324 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Race series numbers arrived in the post this morning, its happening, soo excited :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Don't beat yourself up about it, I ran it too last weekend and found the sand part pretty tough and not something I'd be keen to do again, the novelty soon wore off. I found the sand very hard on my ankles/achilles in particular as it the surface was frankly horrible to run on.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    Race series numbers arrived in the post this morning, its happening, soo excited :)

Are you doing all of them?

Are you doing all of them?

Sure, why not?, and a few others to boot, not planning on racing, just taking as training runs and enjoying the atmosphere of it all.
    My favorite running shirt is from the Fingal 10k last year (which was my last race before a car put an end to my DCM2017 hopes) , worth running for that again alone as well as the feeling of unfinished business from last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Clibee

Hey everybody ,

Just looking some reassurance I suppose. I’m doing about 4/5 runs a week , I’m on week 3 of HH novice 1 plan. Trying to do around 40-50kms a weeks at the min. Also doing two s&c classes.

Does this sound ok?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Clibee wrote: »
    Hey everybody ,

Just looking some reassurance I suppose. I’m doing about 4/5 runs a week , I’m on week 3 of HH novice 1 plan. Trying to do around 40-50kms a weeks at the min. Also doing two s&c classes.

Does this sound ok?

Thanks

Most importantly how are you finding it? What prompted the question? It's a lot more distance than the plan asks for, paces are fast and you're doing s&c as well. Are you feeling tired or full of beans? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

gypsylee wrote: »
    Got my race series number too. This just got very real! :eek:

What your target time if you have one Gypsylee maybe we could run together :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I was in the Phoenix Park this morning for my run and they were setting up for the Irish Runner 10 mile tomorrow morning. Good luck to anyone from here who's doing it!

I've read and heard a lot about this infamous Clontarf Half marathon. It did cross my mind at one stage to run it was I was strongly advised against it.

I'm no expert but surely running on a surface such as sand (whether it's compacted or not) can't be a good idea?? What's the idea/logic behind it?

Interesting to read this. I had been very tempted to sign up for the Brandon half marathon this month. I got cold feet over the running on sand too. Something in my gut told me to stick with what I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Rossi7

eyrie wrote: »
    I was in the Phoenix Park this morning for my run and they were setting up for the Irish Runner 10 mile tomorrow morning. Good luck to anyone from here who's doing it!
    That rules out my plan to do my LSR there in the morning so

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reminder eyrie. I'm not running the race but was planning on doing my lsr there tomorrow morning. I'll have to head somewhere else now.

Rossi7 wrote: »
    That rules out my plan to do my LSR there in the morning so
    Thanks for the reminder eyrie. I'm not running the race but was planning on doing my lsr there tomorrow morning. I'll have to head somewhere else now.

It'll be grand at 7.30am :D

Thanks, I'm doing it tomorrow, really excited about it now.

Anyone else doing it?

You heading out at that time yourself ?

No I'm on 4am-2pm shifts for the next 4 days so it'll be afternoon or early evening runs for me. :(

skyblue46 wrote: »

No I'm on 4am-2pm shifts for the next 4 days so it'll be afternoon or early evening runs for me. :(
    Ah right, where would be the best place to park in the morning there ?

Aiming to get in and out of park early tomorrow morning. Intending to do 20km ish but we'll see how it goes as did Clontarf last weekend.

Planning on doing some of the route in park, Castleknock, Islandbridge, Inchicore Road then back into Park via Parkgate street

As I said, see how it goes as I'll be on my own. What can go wrong!!

Anyone wants to come along more than welcome. Usually run at 7-7.20m/km pace

Back of Zoo, was looking at route, it's not going that way

I always park in the Hole in the Wall carpark or on Baggot Road. Parking inside the Phoenix Park itself can get messy at times.

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »

I always park in the Hole in the Wall carpark or on Baggot Road. Parking inside the Phoenix Park itself can get messy at times.
    You’ll see on my Strava exactly the point were I’ll get lost 😂

Advertisement