Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballytruckle Road, as bad as it used to be?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,022 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Would a person from Lisduggan have a problem in either pub.There's a bit of history between the johnnylanders and Lizzies going back awhile.

Well, and I say this as a lisduggan man. Most of the issues are long forgotten about but I probably wouldn't announce where I am from when I arrive, then again why would you in any pub?

There is curiousity and sometimes animosity toward strangers in some pubs around the city, but in general if you carry yourself well you would be unlucky to find a real problem barring one or two pubs.

Tribal stuff is associated with lots of pubs, from Brady's to Norris's to paddy browns. In general though if you go looking for a drink you'll get a drink, if you go looking for trouble you'll get that.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭johnsparkexile

Well, and I say this as a lisduggan man. Most of the issues are long forgotten about but I probably wouldn't announce where I am from when I arrive, then again why would you in any pub?

There is curiousity and sometimes animosity toward strangers in some pubs around the city, but in general if you carry yourself well you would be unlucky to find a real problem barring one or two pubs.

Tribal stuff is associated with lots of pubs, from Brady's to Norris's to paddy browns. In general though if you go looking for a drink you'll get a drink, if you go looking for trouble you'll get that.

Couldn't have put it better myself. people have to much going on in their lives today to be bothered about things that happened a lifetime ago.

However it mightn't be a good idea to shout across the bar to someone, wherever that bar happens to be , to remind them about the time you kicked the sh1t out of them after the Ardree disco.

Sorry to the OP for going off on a tangent with the tread, but I'm sure the majority on the site from whatever part of the town or county that they live in , would recommend Waterford as a great place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Couldn't have put it better myself. people have to much going on in their lives today to be bothered about things that happened a lifetime ago.

However it mightn't be a good idea to shout across the bar to someone, wherever that bar happens to be , to remind them about the time you kicked the sh1t out of them after the Ardree disco.

Sorry to the OP for going off on a tangent with the tread, but I'm sure the majority on the site from whatever part of the town or county that they live in , would recommend Waterford as a great place to live.

Not a problem, I don't think there is a town across the country with a similar back story.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Flow Motion

Gotta factor in that Waterford ain't The Bronx is it? Just a small-ish city with a few head-a-balls scattered here and there. Meaningless feuds and an inability to leave the past behind lead to trumped up like quasi hoolies or wannabe gangsters simmering with rage all their lives. Simply put : Waterford is a great place to live. If you go looking for trouble anywhere in this world you will find it. I am originally from the town itself but now live in Ferrybank on the Abbey Road. Never had any issues in over 8 years other than the traffic on the dual carriageway into town when the schools are in situ. I'd agree with others comments re. the Dunmore Rd area. Just because its the supposed D4 area of Waterford (W4? anyone) dosent mean that those posh little boys dont cause trouble. There are a lot of estates on the length of the road and a plethora of kids. And the traffic is a nightmare @ most times!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Settled travellers live in christendom and fiodh mor on the abbey road in ferrybank. One particuliar family makes a nuisance of its self in the area.

Previously lived on Abbey Road in Ferrybank for 8 years and loved it. No anti social issues that I experienced in that time. I had heard stories about the travelers causing issues in Christendom but never encountered them or were affected by them. I understood the bothersome ones were moved on by other family members.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Boooourns wrote: »
    I've seen suggestions for the Dunmore road area but even that now has anit-social tag attached to it now

Really?
    News to me!

Please tell me more.

I'd agree with others comments re. the Dunmore Rd area. Just because its the supposed D4 area of Waterford (W4? anyone) dosent mean that those posh little boys dont cause trouble. There are a lot of estates on the length of the road and a plethora of kids. And the traffic is a nightmare @ most times!
    Granted, traffic isn't free flowing on the Dunmore Road for sure.
    But having rented a place there for the last 10 years I haven't seen a jot of bother or antisocial behaviour myself.
    Beautiful part of the city imo with a real sense of community. Houses are overpriced a little I think. But other than that, the singular negative comment posted on this thread (not plural as you suggested) is unfounded hyperbolic nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Evidence of a class divide evident in this thread. Original poster should come to Waterford and drive around to locations mentioned. He/she will form opinions quickly enough. . There are visual cues abound everywhere and in every city. Dunmore Road is a very nice area as are Ballygunner, WIlliamstown etc. Older areas like Grange Park and Newtown, Waterside, South Parade, also very nice. Lismore Heights, Morrissons Avenue, Griffith Place, Sexton Street, Leamy Street also settled and attractive.Essentially you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

kuang1 wrote: »
    Granted, traffic isn't free flowing on the Dunmore Road for sure.
    But having rented a place there for the last 10 years I haven't seen a jot of bother or antisocial behaviour myself.
    Beautiful part of the city imo with a real sense of community. Houses are overpriced a little I think. But other than that, the singular negative comment posted on this thread (not plural as you suggested) is unfounded hyperbolic nonsense.

Just because someone might now rant in the middle of the road like a drunken fool and cause trouble it doesn't mean that Dunmore Road is a nice place to be. There are some incredibly scummy people living out there and a lot of them wear shirts and ties to work. Not everything on the surface is as it seems you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Lots of the student accomodation in Waterford are complexs for students only such as Riverwalk, which is about 50 metres away from ballytruckle. However this is a well run complex. Not many students living in bballytruckle i would imagine. Not many students in houses apart from the estates that i mentioned. Homeowners in these estates have had a horrible time with students over the years.

Dont think there are travellers in ferrybank. These can be found out by foxwood and carraig na ard estates and up in carrickpherish so you should definetly avoid buying in these areas.

If buying in ferrybank, I would buy on the Rockshire road. Nice estates up that way. Not sure about traffic over there but to be honest traffic has become a problem in most areas of waterford at the moment, no matter where you live.

Settled travellers live in christendom and fiodh mor on the abbey road in ferrybank. One particuliar family makes a nuisance of its self in the area.
    As always,no matter be it in mahon cork,or any estate they end up in

• Advertisement

Just because someone might now rant in the middle of the road like a drunken fool and cause trouble it doesn't mean that Dunmore Road is a nice place to be. There are some incredibly scummy people living out there and a lot of them wear shirts and ties to work. Not everything on the surface is as it seems you know.

:D:D:D:D

Thank you for the giggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Boooourns

kuang1 wrote: »
    Really?
    News to me!

Please tell me more.

A massive group of teenagers caused mayhem last winter throwing stones at cars out on the Dunmore road and not the first time this group have been at it.
    Wasn't there a few dodgy tenants living in houses out there done for selling drugs as well.

Boooourns wrote: »
    A massive group of teenagers caused mayhem last winter throwing stones at cars out on the Dunmore road and not the first time this group have been at it.
    Wasn't there a few dodgy tenants living in houses out there done for selling drugs as well.

Oh yeah... Was that in the Sycamores? Wasn't there an attempt at setting a house on fire maliciously in there too? Something burning dropped through a letterbox?
    Never heard about those teenagers tbh. (that's not me denying that it happened just to be clear! :))
    I was incorrectly thinking of the Dunmore Road as if it meant everything from the hospital and beyond. But of course the Dunmore Road begins at the ghost roundabout at the top of Newtown. My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,022 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The dunmore road has some issues, you would be hard pressed to find an area with so many housing estates and youths that isn't going to have some issues. Not really the place to name names but I would know some pretty unsavoury individuals who live that way, overall it's pretty nice still though.

Certainly nothing so bad it would put you off the area. There is still a lack of amenities (for teenagers) bad traffic and overpriced houses with that old "paying for address" popping up. Which would be more of an issue to me than potential anti social behaviour there.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Thanks all for the additional comments. Myself and the OH are heading down on Saturday for the day to have a good walk around, we have a few areas shortlisted and will park up there and walk the areas. So much easier to get a feel for a place when on foot by comparison to the car. We are also back in the area in august so will be popping back then. and again come end of September when the schools are back in full swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

ElKavo wrote: »
    Thanks all for the additional comments. Myself and the OH are heading down on Saturday for the day to have a good walk around, we have a few areas shortlisted and will park up there and walk the areas. So much easier to get a feel for a place when on foot by comparison to the car. We are also back in the area in august so will be popping back then. and again come end of September when the schools are back in full swing.

I hope ye have life assurance and don't forget yere stab vests!

On a more serious note, I do hope ye find a nice place to live.

Myself and herself spent the day in Waterford on Saturday just gone. We went to 22 different locations around the city. We have narrowed it down to 4 different locations 3 of which are within 20 mins walk of the viking triangle (pedestrian areas of the city). Where we could like to see ourselves living. So we have cut out large parts of the city and surrounding countryside. Next trip down will be to review areas in and around Tramore. The draw of the sea is strong!

Thanks all for your recommendations and input.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ElKavo wrote: »
    Myself and herself spent the day in Waterford on Saturday just gone. We went to 22 different locations around the city. We have narrowed it down to 4 different locations 3 of which are within 20 mins walk of the viking triangle (pedestrian areas of the city). Where we could like to see ourselves living. So we have cut out large parts of the city and surrounding countryside. Next trip down will be to review areas in and around Tramore. The draw of the sea is strong!

Thanks all for your recommendations and input.

tramore is a lovely area, seems very nice to live in also. best of luck

Advertisement