Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballytruckle Road, as bad as it used to be?

Options
  • 04-07-2018 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just looking for some info on the Ballytruckle Road area, has the area quietened down at all in the last few years? Only information I can find online for the area is c2010 with reports of a lot of anti-social behaviour.

Would you recommend the area for families? is there a large student population there?

Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭PPN2893

I live pretty close to Ballytruckle Road and do a lot of walking around the area. I haven't noticed much in the way of trouble lately but this could be due to students being away from the summer. I've noticed a MUCH higher Garda presence in the general area at night over the past few weeks too.

I'd say that houses around there are fine. Probably not as quiet at night compared to some places, though. It's hard to say whether it gets a lot of problems unless you live there. There are few students houses in the area so that can put people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Is St Johns Park and areas like The Candy pub a really rough spot filled with low lifes?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Thanks guys,

Where would be a decent part to the city? Would the Dunmore or Tramore road areas be better? Or maybe north-side out near the IDA park? We are looking at relocating to the city or cost around the area and could use some local incite (without causing an argument) With the close proximity of St Johns park to the folly would the folly area be recommended? What is the student population like there. We have lived next to s student house before and I would rather not go through that again!

With the north quays Dev almost underway we feel now is a great time to move to the area. We have looked all the way from Duncormick to Dungarvan. We do feel that maybe closer to the city could be a good option too. So now we are more focused towards Passage east / Dunmore east / Tramore / City.

Any and all feedback on the areas above would be a great help to narrow the areas down.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭johnsparkexile

Is St Johns Park and areas like The Candy pub a really rough spot filled with low lifes?

St John's Park was/is a fantastic place to live. Contrary to what you might think it was never full of lowlifes. It had its problems in the very, very distant past as all housing estates in Waterford did and some still have.

I'm not sure what dealings you had with the locals out there or if you ever drank in The Candy but your wrong to paint an entire area as you have.

St John's Park was/is a fantastic place to live. Contrary to what you might think it was never full of lowlifes. It had its problems in the very, very distant past as all housing estates in Waterford did and some still have.

I'm not sure what dealings you had with the locals out there or if you ever drank in The Candy but your wrong to paint an entire area as you have.

Hi John,

Are you local in that area? Could use some local knowledge on our search. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

ElKavo wrote: »
    Thanks guys,

Where would be a decent part to the city? Would the Dunmore or Tramore road areas be better? Or maybe north-side out near the IDA park? We are looking at relocating to the city or cost around the area and could use some local incite (without causing an argument) With the close proximity of St Johns park to the folly would the folly area be recommended? What is the student population like there. We have lived next to s student house before and I would rather not go through that again!

With the north quays Dev almost underway we feel now is a great time to move to the area. We have looked all the way from Duncormick to Dungarvan. We do feel that maybe closer to the city could be a good option too. So now we are more focused towards Passage east / Dunmore east / Tramore / City.

Any and all feedback on the areas above would be a great help to narrow the areas down.

Dunmore Road is the nicest part of the city. Passage, Dunmore and Tramore all nice places.
    Ferrybank has got good value in that prices are lower than elsewhere but should increase with the North Quays.
    Johns park itself is probably grand but the likes of kilcohan park is nearby which is not the nicest estate.
    Places like lismore park and templars hall are full of students so you should avoid there.

Dunmore Road is the nicest part of the city. Passage, Dunmore and Tramore all nice places.
    Ferrybank has got good value in that prices are lower than elsewhere but should increase with the North Quays.
    Johns park itself is probably grand but the likes of kilcohan park is nearby which is not the nicest estate.
    Places like lismore park and templars hall are full of students so you should avoid there.

Excellent info, thanks . We are not doing the student thing again. We had awful trouble in a house before.

would you know about student population around Ballytruckle road?

Is access to ferrybank an issue? antisocial behaviour, travelers etc?

Thanks again

Excellent info, thanks . We are not doing the student thing again. We had awful trouble in a house before.

would you know about student population around Ballytruckle road?

Is access to ferrybank an issue? antisocial behaviour, travelers etc?

Thanks again
    Lots of the student accomodation in Waterford are complexs for students only such as Riverwalk, which is about 50 metres away from ballytruckle. However this is a well run complex. Not many students living in bballytruckle i would imagine. Not many students in houses apart from the estates that i mentioned. Homeowners in these estates have had a horrible time with students over the years.

Dont think there are travellers in ferrybank. These can be found out by foxwood and carraig na ard estates and up in carrickpherish so you should definetly avoid buying in these areas.

If buying in ferrybank, I would buy on the Rockshire road. Nice estates up that way. Not sure about traffic over there but to be honest traffic has become a problem in most areas of waterford at the moment, no matter where you live.

Lots of the student accomodation in Waterford are complexs for students only such as Riverwalk, which is about 50 metres away from ballytruckle. However this is a well run complex. Not many students living in bballytruckle i would imagine. Not many students in houses apart from the estates that i mentioned. Homeowners in these estates have had a horrible time with students over the years.

Dont think there are travellers in ferrybank. These can be found out by foxwood and carraig na ard estates and up in carrickpherish so you should definetly avoid buying in these areas.

If buying in ferrybank, I would buy on the Rockshire road. Nice estates up that way. Not sure about traffic over there but to be honest traffic has become a problem in most areas of waterford at the moment, no matter where you live.

Brilliant, can not tell you how much it helps to narrow the search areas down!!

Do know tramore at all, other than day trips?

Brilliant, can not tell you how much it helps to narrow the search areas down!!

Do know tramore at all, other than day trips?

Tramore is a nice place to live. Apart from down beside the gaa pitch there are mostly very nice estates in tramore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Maybe Waterford isnt for you,as according to most on here its full of students,travellers and low lifes! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Iwouldinmesack

Settled travellers live in christendom and fiodh mor on the abbey road in ferrybank. One particuliar family makes a nuisance of its self in the area.

Settled travellers live in christendom and fiodh mor on the abbey road in ferrybank. One particuliar family makes a nuisance of its self in the area.

Didnt realise that. As i said the rockshire road would be grand.

http://www.daft.ie/waterford/houses-for-sale/waterford-city/19-christendom-mews-ferrybank-waterford-city-waterford-1609519/
    Do you think the area this house is located in could be dodgy?

The Candy is rough out you cant deny that. And Bradys around the corner is probably one of the most unfriendly pubs I have ever set foot in, and that's saying something! From the second you walk in, if you aren't a local who has lived in the area a hundred years you are stared out of it- and the weirdest thing is this is from the YOUNG people (30 and under) in the pub, not even the aul guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Gardner

if there is a house going for 90k in this economy there is a reason for it........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Ballytruckle and the Folly are very good places to live, if you hear otherwise i can tell you they're are wrong and don't know the area at all.
    Johns park is fine as well, i wouldn't go up as far as the pitches round the back but other than that there's no bother at all.
    I've seen suggestions for the Dunmore road area but even that now has anit-social tag attached to it now but people like to run down other areas because of the reputation it had 20 years ago.

All great info guys. Many thanks, there are a few areas and indeed properties that we have good interest in.

When sinking the next 10 years minimum and every cent into an property / area you want to get it as close to perfect as possible, we have 3 kids well 2 kids and 1 adult who we are hoping will attend WIT. I have always had a soft spot for waterford and I am delighted to see it poised to rise from the ashes (so to speak) I, we would like to be part of that and to see the city spring back to a vibrant place once more.

We want to find an area that is nice, clean, green areas, city commutable by bike / foot or well serviced by public transport yet be quiet enough to actually live in peace. We have had our fair share of shi**y neighbours (2 sets of students, 1 cannabis grow house, 1 mental party house and an area with scramblers, banger racing and bonfires directly behind our house) and although you can never get an area fully sussed out before you live there info provided can greatly help out a blow-in like myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Boooourns

All great info guys. Many thanks, there are a few areas and indeed properties that we have good interest in.

When sinking the next 10 years minimum and every cent into an property / area you want to get it as close to perfect as possible, we have 3 kids well 2 kids and 1 adult who we are hoping will attend WIT. I have always had a soft spot for waterford and I am delighted to see it poised to rise from the ashes (so to speak) I, we would like to be part of that and to see the city spring back to a vibrant place once more.

We want to find an area that is nice, clean, green areas, city commutable by bike / foot or well serviced by public transport yet be quiet enough to actually live in peace. We have had our fair share of shi**y neighbours (2 sets of students, 1 cannabis grow house, 1 mental party house and an area with scramblers, banger racing and bonfires directly behind our house) and although you can never get an area fully sussed out before you live there info provided can greatly help out a blow-in like myself.

Yep you have a massive decision ahead of you, if you want you can throw up areas here that you're interested in and we can try and advise you. It's always a bit of pot luck with a neighbour but like yourself i'd hate to have students next to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Is Templars Hall still a student party town? the houses in there seem to be cheaper than most other areas.

• Advertisement

Boooourns wrote: »
    Yep you have a massive decision ahead of you, if you want you can through up an areas here where the property you're interested in and we can try and adivse you. It's always a bit of pot luck with a neighbour but like yourself i'd hate to have students next to me.

Thanks for the offer, we are just tiding some of our financials up so don't want to curse any prospective property just yet. I will deffo drop some into the thread when we are near the trigger stage.

Many thanks

The Candy is rough out you cant deny that. And Bradys around the corner is probably one of the most unfriendly pubs I have ever set foot in, and that's saying something! From the second you walk in, if you aren't a local who has lived in the area a hundred years you are stared out of it- and the weirdest thing is this is from the YOUNG people (30 and under) in the pub, not even the aul guys.

Drank in The Candy all my life, wouldn't describe it as "rough out". The pub had a bad name in the 80's which stuck with it ( Buckets of Blood), but that only served to keep a lot of people out. I won't deny that I haven't seen fights in there but the majority were between friends over cards or something stupid. same as most local pubs.

Won't disagree with you on Brady's, you don't have to be an outsider to receive that treatment. Traditionally in Johns Park, you either drank in one or the other, the Candy crowd wouldn't be wanted in Brady's and comments would be made if you went in.

The Saint Johns Park area is a good place to live, you have 2 good primary schools on your doorstep and 1 secondary school. Soccer and GAA clubs nearby. On a bus route into town, or easily walked. Local shops in the area, supermarkets a couple of minutes away. Houses that come on the market are usually snapped up pretty quickly, Quieter parts would be Beechwood Avenue, German Road,Johns Villa's (across from The Candy), school road ( driveway getting blocked at school pickup time can be a problem ) The Square wouldn't be bad either.

Saw the suggestion for the Folly, always a quiet place so would recommend that also.

shockwave wrote: »
    Is Templars Hall still a student party town? the houses in there seem to be cheaper than most other areas.

Yes still student party town and right across from the halting site too. Cheaper for a reason.

Drank in The Candy all my life, wouldn't describe it as "rough out". The pub had a bad name in the 80's which stuck with it ( Buckets of Blood), but that only served to keep a lot of people out. I won't deny that I haven't seen fights in there but the majority were between friends over cards or something stupid. same as most local pubs.

Won't disagree with you on Brady's, you don't have to be an outsider to receive that treatment. Traditionally in Johns Park, you either drank in one or the other, the Candy crowd wouldn't be wanted in Brady's and comments would be made if you went in.

The Saint Johns Park area is a good place to live, you have 2 good primary schools on your doorstep and 1 secondary school. Soccer and GAA clubs nearby. On a bus route into town, or easily walked. Local shops in the area, supermarkets a couple of minutes away. Houses that come on the market are usually snapped up pretty quickly, Quieter parts would be Beechwood Avenue, German Road,Johns Villa's (across from The Candy), school road ( driveway getting blocked at school pickup time can be a problem ) The Square wouldn't be bad either.

Saw the suggestion for the Folly, always a quiet place so would recommend that also.

I didn't know that about people from the Candy not being welcome in Bradys, what would happen exactly if they wandered in- as in physically hurt?? Im not from the area and I had a very bad vibe from the place and that was from the young guys. I don't mean to generalise but a lot of the young guys there really seemed to be living in this weird time warp the same way older guys who spend their whole lives in the area and same pub can be!
    It left a bad impression about the area with me but of course I do agree that not everyone is like that.

Wouldn't be physically hurt, much the same treatment that you got with the stares, smart comments about coming into ''their pub'', knowing that the whole place was watching you and talking about you.

That is some good info, are the two schools in the area Ursulines and st Johns? Both of these seem to be in easy walking distance I.E less than 10 min.

What is the secondary?

Ideally we would like if the two kids could go to the same school, as they are now. But they have been to separate schools in the past too and these two seem close enough together to make drop off / pickups an easy enough run. Are they staggered start / end times?

I like the proximity of amenities in this area too, close to schools, shops, cinemas, sports grounds and about 20 min walk to the city center + the north Quays Dev is a big lure. I work in IT and the OH is part qualified accountant, qualified book keeper so work shouldn't be a huge issue but we have factored up to a year looking for work in our budget. Is there decent green areas, parks for walking the doggies in this area? We have two.

I also like the close proximity to the greenway and quick access to beaches / coast with tramore only 15 min or so away. With areas like copper coast and Dungarvan not an hour from the center I really see it as a fabulous area to live / work and indeed raise a family.

You have a great city there and I really do think it should do better than it has in the past.

Ursuline Convert has both a primary and secondary school, both would be highly regarded. Boys primary is Scoil Lorcain with pupils moving on to secondary in St Declans, Waterpark or Mount Sion.

Waterford Nature Park , on the Tramore road or the Peoples Park both within walking distance.

Plenty of other beaches/ coves to visit. Saleens, Ballymacaw, Rathmoylan and Portally are all out the airport road. Loads more the other side of Tramore.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Ursuline Convert has both a primary and secondary school, both would be highly regarded. Boys primary is Scoil Lorcain with pupils moving on to secondary in St Declans, Waterpark or Mount Sion.

Waterford Nature Park , on the Tramore road or the Peoples Park both within walking distance.

Plenty of other beaches/ coves to visit. Saleens, Ballymacaw, Rathmoylan and Portally are all out the airport road. Loads more the other side of Tramore.

Is St. Declans not a primary school feeding into De La Salle College secondary?

Woodstown and Dunmore also have lovely beaches.
    Woodstown being my favourite ...... a cheap day out as there are no distractions (amenities :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Wouldn't be physically hurt, much the same treatment that you got with the stares, smart comments about coming into ''their pub'', knowing that the whole place was watching you and talking about you.

Would a person from Lisduggan have a problem in either pub.There's a bit of history between the johnnylanders and Lizzies going back awhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

All I can say is from living in Tramore for the last 22 years, you won't regret it. Can get busy in the summer but rarely any trouble. In the winter (off peak times) the town is lovely and quiet.

Nothing beats being able to wake to fresh sea air and head for a walk on the beach. WIT is accessible by bus and so is Waterford, as are both by car.

Advertisement