Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a Nissan Bluebird

Options
  • 08-07-2018 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

We had an 87' 1.8SLX as a kid in silver. Now I'm looking for one to insure as a classic and drive to work occasionally. Our one never really gave any trouble and it was a lovely big saloon driving over Wicklow gap back in the day.

What commonly went wrong with Bluebirds back in the day ? I'm planning to spend a few days in the UK and bringing a good one home on the boat.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Its going to be extremely hard to get classic insurance for work commute.

Rust was the Bluebirds downfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

kadman wrote: »
    Its going to be extremely hard to get classic insurance for work commute.

Rust was the Bluebirds downfall.
    Only using it for the odd commute so no problems with insurance. 
    Rust though will be the issue.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Re insurance.. once you have SDP and no exclusion for commuting it's perfectly valid.
    You do not need Class 1 to drive to or from work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

nice choice, the auld fella had an 87, white with a spoiler and a sunroof, both of which were extremely rare at the time, he said they made a mistake in the order but i always thought he ordered it that way and that his cover story for my mother

the spoiler was quite soft and looked like it was stuck on, but when you were 9 and no cars had them it was very cool

ELM327 wrote: »
    Re insurance.. once you have SDP and no exclusion for commuting it's perfectly valid.

I didn't know sdp covers work commuting on a classic policy,

And I didn't think it would be easy or cheap to get insurance as a daily driver for an 87 Bluebird

• Advertisement

AXA

If I use my car to drive to or from work (or during the working day) what class of use should I have on my policy?

If you use your car to drive to work you should have Social Domestic and Pleasure plus Commuting cover on your policy. Please refer to Section 3 on your Certificate of Insurance to check the level of your cover. You can access this document in your

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

ELM327 wrote: »
    Important to note this part as some companies have started adding this type of exclusion
    kadman wrote: »
    AXA

If I use my car to drive to or from work (or during the working day) what class of use should I have on my policy?

If you use your car to drive to work you should have Social Domestic and Pleasure plus Commuting cover on your policy. Please refer to Section 3 on your Certificate of Insurance to check the level of your cover. You can access this document in your

Insurance headaches for classic only, see here,

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107472747#post107472747

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I'm going over in August to Holyhead on the boat. Gonna get me a nice bluebird soon! 87' or 88'. I'll go for a 2.0SLX or a 1.8SLX. Seems to be a few floating about there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

I'm going over in August to Holyhead on the boat. Gonna get me a nice bluebird soon! 87' or 88'. I'll go for a 2.0SLX or a 1.8SLX. Seems to be a few floating about there.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1987-nissan-bluebird-1-6lx-t12-hatchback-classic/19184623

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

80sDiesel wrote: »

I saw that.... However I want the saloon version for sentimental reasons :), I want a pre face lift model, In 89 they got a small face lift with a new front grill and slightly angled rear lights.

Advertisement