Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The All Ireland Senior Football Quarter Final Group Stages

• 08-07-2018 4:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,392 ✭✭✭✭

Group 1
    Kerry
    Galway
    Monaghan
    Kildare

Kerry v Galway
    Monaghan v Kildare

Monaghan v Kerry
    Kildare v Galway

Kerry v Kildare
    Galway v Monaghan

Group 2
    Dublin
    Donegal
    Roscommon
    Tyrone

Dublin v Donegal
    Roscommon v Tyrone

Roscommon v Donegal
    Tyrone v Dublin

Dublin v Roscommon
    Donegal v Tyrone.

So here it is, the first every Quarter Final Group stage.

It's a bit of a mixed bag really.
    Dublin are clear favourites to win Group 2
    But who comes second could be a good fight.

In Group 1 if Galway put it up to Kerry in game 1 and beat them, and I don't know if they can, then Kerry will go away to Monaghan to save their season.
    Interesting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,880 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Grp1- Kerry to top and Galway runner up

Grp 2- Dublin to top and Tyrone runner up

Kerry vs Dublin AI final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,392 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Patww79 wrote: »
    [/b]

I have yet to hear the quarter final group stages be referred to as something beinging with "S" and ending with an integer by the GAA tjemselves, so that's why the title is the way it is.

And by the way, I don't like cticket, I love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Group 1
    Kerry Monaghan
    Group 2
    Dublin Donegal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

cjmc wrote: »
    Group 1
    Kerry Monaghan
    Group 2
    Dublin Donegal

Sorry that should read Monaghan then Kerry !

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

I don't remember where the name originated from, but I remember Joe Brolly using 'Super 8' as an element of his rant against the increased professionalism and elitism in the game. He lambasted the GAA for using the word 'super', only to be left surprised when he was corrected and told that they had never chosen nor promoted that name. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I don't remember where the name originated from, but I remember Joe Brolly using 'Super 8' as an element of his rant against the increased professionalism and elitism in the game. He lambasted the GAA for using the word 'super', only to be left surprised when he was corrected and told that they had never chosen nor promoted that name. :D

Why can't they use the name 'Champions League', since that's where the concept comes from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭threeball

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Why can't they use the name 'Champions League', since that's where the concept comes from?

Because then you'd need to have 8 champions playing when there's clearly only 4...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Super bowl - Super eights?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

This thread makes me sad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

What if sides finish level on points in the Sup.... All Ireland Senior Football Quarter Final Group Stages? Is it points difference, head to head?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

corny wrote: »
    What if sides finish level on points in the Sup.... All Ireland Senior Football Quarter Final Group Stages? Is it points difference, head to head?

Standard rule in the GAA for all competitions is that if it's two teams level on points then it's head-to-head, if it's three or more, then it's points difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭SouthDublin6w

Guys when do tickets go on sale for Dublin Donegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

The Final 8?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭SouthDublin6w

Be interesting to see what sort of crowd a game like Donegal and Dublin will get.

Wen tickets on sale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Thread title make the baby Jesus cry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

What's the TV schedule for it, for instance what can we see live next week and where can we see it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

km79 wrote: »
    This thread makes me sad

Cut it with a scissors, don't pull it whatever you do.

It's too feckin' hot to be havin' to read a nine word thread title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Was the format last season Sky had the 2 Saturday games and Rte had the 2 sunday games I think?

ProudDUB wrote: »
    It's too feckin' hot to be havin' to read a nine word thread title.

Opps I forgot the word "Championship" between Football and Quarter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Group 1:
    Kerry
    Galway

Group 2:
    Dublin
    Donegal

Dublin vs Kerry final with another Dublin win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭howiya

Was the format last season Sky had the 2 Saturday games and Rte had the 2 sunday games I think?

Added complication next week of the hurling quarter finals too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Roger_007 wrote: »

How does the concept come from the Champions League? The idea of teams playing each other in a round-robin is as old as the hills in nearly every sport including the GAA as we’ve seen in the National Leagues. In fact the Champions League is the very opposite format in that the latter stages are knockout and the earlier stages are round-robin to protect the big teams. This is almost the inverse of the Champions League concept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

Kerry, Kildare and Dublin, Tyrone.

Kildare to turn Dublin over in SF as they won't get a test in the group. Kerry to beat Tyrone comfortably.

Kerry to beat kildare in the final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

OttoPilot wrote: »

Kildare to turn Dublin over in SF as they won't get a test in the group. Kerry to beat Tyrone comfortably.

Not likely.

Kildare have done really well to turn their season around from where they were a few weeks ago but it's hard to make any case for them beating Dublin.

They do have a chance of getting out of the group though as they won't fear Galway or Monaghan at this stage. The games between those 3 teams will be close. As for Kerry, they looked great in the Munster Final but they beat a dismal Cork team who allowed them do as they pleased. They have tougher tests to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I still feel the round robin format would be better served to get into the last eight while the last eight left as it was old fashioned knock out championship football but it is what it is now for at least 3 years and we'll see how it goes hopefully no dead rubber games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Was chatting to an elderly gentlemen yesterday whose gone to most matches since he was 8 and he reckons Kildare will do what they do every blue moon, prop top the group build up every one's hopes then loose the run of them selves to be bet buy the other outsider semi-finalist Roscommon ,unfortunatley. Every effin time he says.

I think Kerry v Galway will be the most interesting clash of the first round.

Kerry have thus far in the championship shown themselves to be a high tempo running team with plentry of players able to score, but with a few questions at the back.
    Galway are a counter attacking team, soak up lots of pressure and then it you on the break.

Kerry beat up on bad teams in Munster whereas Galway needed a late goal to get past 14 man Mayo and a lot of Roscommon wodes helped their cause in the final.
    Plus they have not won a championship game in CP since 2001.
    I think there is far more to it than the easy win for Kerry many are predicting.
    Plus if Galway do win Kerry's next game is away to Monaghan, no easy outing for a young team.

On the other side Dublin a the clear favourites, but personally I don't think there is anything between Donegal, Roscommon and Tyrone. Who gets second there should be a good fight.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

I think Galway have a really good chance of beating Kerry. They need to make it ugly. Kerry looked great in Munster but the amount of space they had was unreal.
    Galway pack their defence, it's not so easy to waltz through for dazzling points or goals when there's 2 or 3 defenders on you. Then we've seen Kerry's backline can be got at.
    Monaghan v Kildare should be close. Kildare have all the momentum, a team on a roll. Monaghan only beat a few division 4 teams but are well rested and they've got something to prove. I'll go for a draw in this one.
    Dublin should have too much for Donegal at home. And I think Tyrone should just about get the better of Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭SnitchingBubs

Are tickets on sale today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Next weekend will see comfortable wins for Dublin and Tyrone but the other two games could go either way. Kerry to scrape past Galway by 2 or 3 and Monaghan/Kildare a draw. There surely will be a draw or two in these games and I can see that happening in the first game next Sunday.

Have the dates/times for all of these games been absolutely confirmed yet? Hoganstand.com is showing dates and times for all 4 fixtures next weekend, but the GAA site is still only showing Dublin v Donegal for 7pm on Sat with the others at 'tbc' status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Have the dates/times for all of these games been absolutely confirmed yet? Hoganstand.com is showing dates and times for all 4 fixtures next weekend, but the GAA site is still only showing Dublin v Donegal for 7pm on Sat with the others at 'tbc' status.

The ccccccc boys have to get the dinner out of it before it's announced.

Is it likely Sky on saturday/RTE on Sunday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,896 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    I think Galway have a really good chance of beating Kerry. They need to make it ugly. Kerry looked great in Munster but the amount of space they had was unreal.
    Galway pack their defence, it's not so easy to waltz through for dazzling points or goals when there's 2 or 3 defenders on you. Then we've seen Kerry's backline can be got at.
    Monaghan v Kildare should be close. Kildare have all the momentum, a team on a roll. Monaghan only beat a few division 4 teams but are well rested and they've got something to prove. I'll go for a draw in this one.
    Dublin should have too much for Donegal at home. And I think Tyrone should just about get the better of Roscommon.

Wouldn't agree with this, I was at the game in Navan yesterday and if anything I thought Monaghan looked a bit jaded and tired.

Super 8's will be interesting but it is set up to favour those who took the direct route which is a bit unfair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Grp1- Kildare to top and Kerry runner up

Grp 2- Dublin to top and Donegal runner up

Kildare vs Dublin AI final, played in Newbridge

OttoPilot wrote: »

Kildare to turn Dublin over in SF as they won't get a test in the group. Kerry to beat Tyrone up.

PARlance wrote: »
    Grp1- Kildare to top and Kerry runner up

Grp 2- Dublin to top and Donegal runner up

Kildare vs Dublin AI final, played in Newbridge

Genuinely hope you two have a large wads of cash riding on your predictions. The bravery to make such....ahem...bold....statements in public, should be rewarded financially if they ever come to pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

hopefully no dead rubber games.

Kerry and Galway will be most interesting match in the first round. Winner probably certain to qualify and huge pressure on the loser to probably have to beat both Kildare and Monaghan so not beyond the bounds that either Kildare or Monaghan will make the top two.

I have a feeling that Galway might take Kerry on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Genuinely hope you two have a large wads of cash riding on your predictions. The bravery to make such....ahem...bold....statements in public, should be rewarded financially if they ever come to pass.

Dublin or Kildare are the two teams I would fear most at this moment in time. Dublin because Dublin and Kildare because of a serious amount of momentum and a team that's hitting some form. Kerry havent had a test this year, I do fancy Kildare to top that group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Dublin or Kildare are the two teams I would fear most at this moment in time. Dublin because Dublin and Kildare because of a serious amount of momentum and a team that's hitting some form. Kerry havent had a test this year, I do fancy Kildare to top that group.

tenor.gif

keane2097 wrote: »
    tenor.gif

It's the sun. I blame the sun. It's making us all do/say/think crazy things.

Sure at my 56th family BBQ in a row yesterday, two of the participants were actually discussing the hilarious prospect of shouting for Ingerland, because this shower of unmerciful English gobshytes aren't as obnoxious as previous showers of unmerciful English gobshytes. It's getting to us all.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Kerry and Galway will be most interesting match in the first round. Winner probably certain to qualify and huge pressure on the loser to probably have to beat both Kildare and Monaghan so not beyond the bounds that either Kildare or Monaghan will make the top two.

I have a feeling that Galway might take Kerry on Sunday.

A possibility alright. People were/are getting a wee bit excited over Kerry's wipeout of Cork. But considering Cork got a similar thumping on Saturday by a Tyrone team that few seem to be convinced about, judgement remains out IMO on what Kerry are capable of this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,896 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Looking forward to the Super 8's to get the answers to the above.

If they don't throw up a few shocks and surprises they are not really worth the effort and extra expense to supporters tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

IDK, I reckon we tickled Galway's belly in the same venue at the same stage last year when they were expected to give us a game as well.

Have Galway dramatically improved in the meantime? Ropey wins over 14-man Mayo and Roscommon along with a good league with a system suited to the unseasonably bad spring weather we had = maybe, maybe not.

Kerry have brought in several younger players, but they have replaced guys who performed woefully last year besides Donaghy so I find it hard to believe we have gotten any worse. We are much stronger in several positions IMO.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement