Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A/R/TIST IN THE SPOTLIGHT - KELLYGIRL

• 08-07-2018 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭

Next up is Kellygirl. A graduate from the wonder novices of 2017. Quickly followed up by back to back to back marathons I believe? A lady who has upped her running game big time in the last year with big big mileage and consistent running. I'll kick things off and as always follow up with more questions as we go along.

1. What's your proudest achievement in running?
    2. Would you ever consider ultra running?
    3. Favourite race distance?
    4. One long term goal in running that sticks out for you?
    5. Favourite post race treat?
    6. Do you drink and if so, favourite tipple?
    7. Pre race meal?
    8. Best holiday you've ever had?
    9. Place you'd most like to visit?
    10. You have to run a marathon abroad. Which one do you pick?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Hi,

How long are you running?
    What's your pb's?
    What's your favourite distance?
    Favourite type of workout?
    Favourite surface? Road, track, trail, grass etc.
    Long term running goals?
    Medium term running goals?
    Favourite running shoe?
    Are you involved with a Athletic Club?
    If so, just a member who runs or are you involved behind the scenes?
    Typical training in a week involves?
    What annoys you about running/runners?
    What do you love about running/runners?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I think in these threads we should have a limit of the number of questions! Ye have nearly asked them all in 2 posts!

Did you have/or still have heroes? Who are they?
    Can you do a handstand?
    What was the last penny drop moment you had?
    When did you last belly laugh?
    Favourite movies?
    What does 10 mins after your usual run look like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

1. Favourite place?
    2. You win a night out, no expenses spared, where do you choose to go?
    3. If you could have a dinner party with seven other people, who would you invite?
    4. What type of music do you like?
    5. You have six months of dedicated training with a coach, how fast do you think you could run a mile?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Hi all! I can honestly say I’m quite nervous taking this on after SkyBlue and Swashbuckler- big acts to follow. Anyway I’ll do my best.

Next up is Kellygirl. A graduate from the wonder novices of 2017. Quickly followed up by back to back to back marathons I believe?

I actually did my first marathon in Cork last year but was injured doing it and hadn’t a clue. After Dublin I did Clonakilty 8 weeks later I think it was but just for the laugh.
    1. What's your proudest achievement in running?

It has to be everything about DCM 2017. Having done Cork in June and been disappointed as I’d to walk a bit after mile 21 and did the entire thing with a limp I had major unfinished business. My original goal had been to run an entire marathon. Everything about DCM went my way from the weather to how I paced it and I loved every minute of it. Every 10km was faster than last and I passed out 4219 people between 10km and the finish line. I crossed that finish line strong, smiling and so so proud of myself.
    2. Would you ever consider ultra running?

If life was a bit different I possibly would. I think my husband would freak though!!
    3. Favourite race distance?

For some reason I’d say marathon at the moment. I’ve mentioned before that I’m a bit afraid of speed and I seem to be able to finish marathons without too much trouble. I don’t get to race enough really.
    4. One long term goal in running that sticks out for you?

Getting sub 4 in a marathon I think. I’m not sure I’ll be able to stop until then!
    5. Favourite post race treat?

Burger and Chips!! Bunsen Burger was amazing after DCM last year.
    6. Do you drink and if so, favourite tipple?

Rarely these days. I used to until kids came along and just haven’t bothered much since then. I run on Saturday mornings and work early Sunday mornings and have the kids early every other day so can’t deal with hangovers. I enjoyed sangria and beer on my hols and I love gin and elderflower tonic.
    7. Pre race meal?

If we are talking about the night before generally spag bol.
    8. Best holiday you've ever had?

Hmmm - I’ve had some brilliant holidays but I suppose my honeymoon was the best and one we’ll probably never be able to do again. We went sailing in The Caribbean and then to Grenada. Did lots of Scuba Diving.
    9. Place you'd most like to visit?

Toss up between New Zealand and Italy I think or Iceland ... I have a list!
    10. You have to run a marathon abroad. Which one do you pick?

Oooh - not something I’ve researched as not an option family wise at the moment so bearing in mind I haven’t researched routes etc I would say one of the big ones like New York or Paris. I enter the lottery for London each year!

How long are you running?

Hi Mellow Yellow, thanks for the questions. I started running back in 2010/2011 until September 2012 when I got pregnant with my first child. I then didn’t run again until June 2016 and started with C25K again then and haven’t stopped since.
    What's your pb's?
    5km - 25.12 (June 2018)
    5 mile - 40:50 (April 2018)
    10 mile - 93:xx (September 2017)
    HM - 2:02:26
    Marathon -4:20:05
    What's your favourite distance?

As above, Marathon but I haven’t really done enough of any others to say.
    Favourite type of workout?

I love progression runs.
    Favourite surface? Road, track, trail, grass etc.

Road - but when choosing my routes I do generally try to run through parks or off road paths for variety.
    Long term running goals?

I’d like to speed up and get a few consistent sub 4’s.
    Medium term running goals?

1:55 in a HM and 4:10 in DCM 18.
    Favourite running shoe?

Saucony Hurricane ISO.
    Are you involved with a Athletic Club?
    If so, just a member who runs or are you involved behind the scenes?

No unfortunately. No time. I am a member of a WhatsApp group of local Mum’s who run and would be very active on that.
    Typical training in a week involves?

I run 4-5 days a week. I am generally following a plan. Monday’s and Thursday tend to be easy 5 milers. Wednesday used be my long run day but it’s becoming by speed or medium long run day now. Saturday is long run and Sunday I squeeze in a recovery run before work.
    What annoys you about running/runners?

Finding it hard to think of anything. Small thing but I always nod or smile to people running towards me and it amazes me the amount of people who don’t acknowledge me back :D
    What do you love about running/runners?

I love how I feel after a run - generally anyway :D. I love the time to myself whether I’m running with people or by myself. It gives me a break and a social life. I love how strong and healthy I feel as a result of my training. In term of other runners, I like that even when I run with somebody I don’t know I always have a great chat and I think runners just get each other. I’ve met so many people through running.

• Advertisement

I think in these threads we should have a limit of the number of questions! Ye have nearly asked them all in 2 posts!

Did you have/or still have heroes? Who are they?

Ha ha - I agree and it’s taken me ages to answer the last lot :D Thanks for asking more anyway.

Heroes .... hmmm! God I don’t know. My Dad has always been my hero. He’s a seriously clever guy who always seems to know everything.
    Can you do a handstand?

In water I can - does that count??
    What was the last penny drop moment you had?

A very silly one but I was mispronouncing the brand Lululemon in my head for quite a while giving it a fancy French type pronunciation. A friend was talking about getting clothes from there and instead of staying quiet I jumped in with my pronunciation and when I got the gobsmacked look the penny dropped. Probably doesn’t sound quite so funny here :rolleyes:
    When did you last belly laugh?

You’ve made me think now and I honestly can’t remember. Possibly when staying with a friend in Limerick when I went up for the Half there in May. I think I need more laughs now!!
    Favourite movies?

I love the old ones like Top Gun and Dirty Dancing. I don’t really watch too many movies these days. I like light heated stuff like Fever Pitch where I can switch off my brain or not concentrate too much as I’m usually messing on my iPad at the same time.
    What does 10 mins after your usual run look like?

Usually finished stretching and nattering if I’ve run with somebody and driving home!! ... or still nattering :D

Huzzah! wrote: »
    1. Favourite place?
    I have to say our house. We built and moved in two years ago and it’s where I grew up. It’s a work in progress and won’t feature in House and Home any time soon but it’s everything we want in terms of location and having our family round us.
    2. You win a night out, no expenses spared, where do you choose to go?

If locally in Cork there is a new super Japanese restaurant called Ichigo Ichie and it’s €95 per head for a 12 course meal. It’s supposed to be amazing.

If I could go further afield I would love to go to Heston Blumenthal’s The Fat Duck.

3. If you could have a dinner party with seven other people, who would you invite?

Boring answer but my best friends. I don’t see enough of them as everybody is busy living in different places with their own lives.

If I had to choose people besides friends there are people I follow on Instagram that I’d love to chat to. Susie Chan is an ultra runner and I’d love to invite her. I’d say she’d be good craic as well have some amazing experience to share. I’d actually love to meet plenty of the people on here too.
    4. What type of music do you like?

Anything I can sing along to - not that I have a wonderful voice by any stretch of the word.
    5. You have six months of dedicated training with a coach, how fast do you think you could run a mile?

I can’t imagine - the coach would have a lot of work to do I think but maybe 7:30. I’m so slow now I can’t picture it.

Thanks for the questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

1. Would you only run one marathon a year if it meant you could get Sub 4 or are Cork, Dublin and Clonakilty now annual events for you?

2. Any interest in Cork hurling or football

3. Does West End Cycles still exist?

4. How far is Bunsen Burger from McGrattans?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Kellygirl wrote:
    For some reason I’d say marathon at the moment. I’ve mentioned before that I’m a bit afraid of speed and I seem to be able to finish marathons without too much trouble. I don’t get to race enough really.

Haha nothing to fear. It's so much fun!

skyblue46 wrote:

Preparing for October. Haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Preparing for October. Haha.

I hope! I couldn't walk leaving McGrattans last year....not because of drink but legs that simply said 'Enough'! :pac:

I think in these threads we should have a limit of the number of questions! Ye have nearly asked them all in 2 posts!?
    Get all the easy questions out of the way first :D :pac:

Good luck in your goals kellygirl

skyblue46 wrote: »
    1. Would you only run one marathon a year if it meant you could get Sub 4 or are Cork, Dublin and Clonakilty now annual events for you?

You know I think I would just run one for the sub 4 if I could do a few half’s or 10 miles too. I need to have a goal and an active training plan to follow.
    2. Any interest in Cork hurling or football

None whatsoever
    3. Does West End Cycles still exist?

It does and I run past it on the majority of my runs.

The good news is there is one very close just off Grafto Street near The Bailey if I remember correctly. The bad news is that was full so we had to then go to Temple Bar but they were full too so sent us to the pub until our table was ready. It was still worth it. Maybe my legs should not have been so fresh to be walking all over the place though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Kellygirl wrote: »
    A very silly one but I was mispronouncing the brand Lululemon in my head for quite a while giving it a fancy French type pronunciation. A friend was talking about getting clothes from there and instead of staying quiet I jumped in with my pronunciation and when I got the gobsmacked look the penny dropped. Probably doesn’t sound quite so funny here :rolleyes:

Me too! Still do it, even though I know it's "Lemon", like the fruit, I naturally tend to say "Le Mans" like the city in France/car race :confused:
    Kellygirl wrote: »

If locally in Cork there is a new super Japanese restaurant called Ichigo Ichie and it’s €95 per head for a 12 course meal. It’s supposed to be amazing.

I'd love to give this a go! Thanks for your answers :)

Me too! Still do it, even though I know it's "Lemon", like the fruit, I naturally tend to say "Le Mans" like the city in France/car race :confused:

I'd love to give this a go! Thanks for your answers :)

Ha that’s how I pronounce it too. Maybe everybody else is wrong. Ha ha!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Rossi7

What is the one thing that annoys you with this years novices ?

Rossi7 wrote: »
    What is the one thing that annoys you with this years novices ?

Honestly there is nothing so far. There are the usual people who won’t take advice and slow down but we can only pass on the advice we were given and we learned from. It will be a good learning experience for me too and I’m really enjoying being part of it. I hope you all get what we got out of it which was more than just running info. A good few of us are good friends now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

1. parkrun, yay or nay?
    2. What got you started in running, or maybe, why running?
    3. Any unusual pre-race rituals?
    4. Most annoying / strangest thing you've witnessed in a race?
    5. Favourite podcast? 5a. any podcast recommendations?!
    6. Best race in the Cork region? (my sis lives there so could focus a visit around one :p)

ReeReeG wrote: »
    1. parkrun, yay or nay?

Love it but don’t get there as often as I’d like. Our local one started 2 years ago. I’ve 38 times and volunteered 4 times I think offhand. It doesn’t fit in with my training a lot as I have to do my long runs Saturdays and the odd time I squeeze it in as part of the run and rare these days.
    2. What got you started in running, or maybe, why running?

In 2010 I joined a relay team for Cork City Marathon. Did no Training and intended walking but I was first in the team to go and the atmosphere was amazing. It was pouring rain and my gear was totally unsuitable but I loved it. Couldn’t walk for about two weeks after but that got me hooked. Signed up the relay the next year and did two stages so 11 miles I think and then the half in 2012 4 days before my wedding.
    3. Any unusual pre-race rituals?

Maybe spending too much time working out the route and pacebands to match and then redoing them over and over again!! Not sure I have anything too odd on the day of a race.
    4. Most annoying / strangest thing you've witnessed in a race?

Two things stuck out in Cork this year - running down the Blackrock Line which is really narrow and bushes either side and I was with the pacing group which was quite large. A guy on a bike was in the middle trying to get passed the whole time and wobbling all over the place. Then as I came round onto Patrick Street to the finish line a load of relay runners who had finished jumped over the barriers running across to join their teammate but nearly knocked me and a few others in the process.

Cork last year there was a man running along carrying 3 large bottles of water under his arms and they kept dropping and falling all over the place. I asked why he didn’t take small bottles on the way round or wear a belt but he said he didn’t trust those giving him water!! :confused:

5. Favourite podcast? 5a. any podcast recommendations?!

The West Cork podcast on Audible has been highly recommended a few times to me now. I must download it myself. It’s about the Sophie Tuscan De Plantier murder. Otherwise I just listen to the radio on long runs.
    6. Best race in the Cork region? (my sis lives there so could focus a visit around one :p)

Haven’t been able to do it but Charleville Half in September is supposed to be a great one. The Cheetah race in Fota Wildlife Park in May is always a good one too. Nice spread after. Clonakilty is well worth a trip for the atmosphere alone. 10km, Half and full. The half and full are seriously hilly but very scenic and just enjoy it and don’t go for a PB. Great atmosphere before and after in The Quality Hotel. I’ve done it the last two years and will be doing some part of it again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Hiya K, fair play for doing this.

Always find your passion and dedication for running inspiring, do you have any other past or present hobbies that you approach (ed) the same way?

You had an excellent DCM last year, but is there anything you'd have done different?

What age do you think is right to introduce kids to running, and how would you go about it?

What would you rather fight, a horse sized duck or 100 duck sized horses?

• Advertisement

Lazare wrote: »
    Hiya K, fair play for doing this.

Always find your passion and dedication for running inspiring, do you have any other past or present hobbies that you approach (ed) the same way?

I tend to be an all or nothing type of person so when I get engrossed in something I usually go at it hell for leather and buy all the gear or whatever I decide I need. Then it gathers dust or I sell it! Having said that I’m not sure I’ve ever stayed at anything as long as the running. Two years this time but was another couple of years before I had kids and used run in the gym etc years ago. I used horse ride throughout my teenage years and I lived and breathed it, volunteered at a riding school etc etc.
    You had an excellent DCM last year, but is there anything you'd have done different?

I’m not sure the day could have been any more perfect for me so I don’t think so. I clearly had more in me at the end but if I’d started out faster it might have been a different story later on etc. One thing I can always do different is my nutrition. I think it’s my biggest downfall- I mean leading up to it as opposed to on the day.
    What age do you think is right to introduce kids to running, and how would you go about it?

From a physical perspective I’m not sure what is correct for their bodies but I’d say introducing kids to any sports needs to be done in a fun way and when they show interest too. Loads can be done in primary school or at that age that is fun and gets kids running and doing sporty stuff without pressure. Time enough for pressure as they get into secondary school and older.
    What would you rather fight, a horse sized duck or 100 duck sized horses?

Where do you come up with these questions??? I have a phobia of birds and ducks aren’t too different but I love horses so I think the 100 duck size horses! Maybe I could get a pogo stick and hop through them to get away from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Great answers, particularly about the kids, I'll take it slowly so.

You can't pogo your way out of it btw, you have to fight those little feckers.

Great answers, particularly about the kids, I'll take it slowly so.

You can't pogo your way out of it btw, you have to fight those little feckers.

Ha, I don’t do confrontation. Maybe I could kill them with some of my cooking!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What's your favourite flavour of crisps?

What's your favourite flavour of crisps?

Has to be Tayto Cheese and Onion. Add in a Cadbury’s Dairy Milk and a cup of tea and pure heaven!

Can't beat taytos and cadburys . Has to be the giant bar though. Haha.

1. What's the worst you've felt during a race and how did you get through it?
    2. Have you found it difficult working your running around family or has it been pretty easy?
    3. Are you an adventure holiday type person or beach lounger?
    4. What's your best dish to cook?
    5. Whos your best bud from last years novices?
    6. Proudest moment?
    7. Biggest regret?
    8. Have you learned anything about yourself from running?
    9. Best thing about where you're from (Cork)?
    10. Favourite pizza? Toppings and from where?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

1 - If you had your first marathon over again, is there anything you'd do different? (Either on the day itself or in training)
    2 - Fota Wildlife or Dublin Zoo?
    3 - Would you rather be too hot or too cold?
    4 - Favourite running memory?

Do you do any supplementary training beside running?

A small local 10k is on a few miles away, organised by an athletic club. It's a fair course but absolutely no frills like no shinny medals or t shirts. But they have a big spread after, AAI permit . The same day there is another 10k on, this is a big race with loads of social media hype, lovey shinny medel and cool shirt this race ran by a private company with no AAI permit. The course is again one that would be described as fair. So none are particularly fast. Which race would you choose and why?

Opinions on Strava? Positives and negatives?

Do you take a look at other data and take it into account to improve your form? Like cadence, ground contact time, vertical oscillation etc

What plan are you following for DCM 18?

How often do you replace your running shoes? And how many different pairs do you currently have?

Can't beat taytos and cadburys . Has to be the giant bar though. Haha.

Definitely! Not between now and DCM though. Haha!
    1. What's the worst you've felt during a race and how did you get through it?

I suppose Limerick Half this year when I belted off acting like I was doing a 5km. I knew I was in trouble two miles in and just got worse and worse. Then my stomach started cramping too so as well as realizing 1:53 was gone, then 1:55, then sub 2 and dealing with that disappointment and the heat I was wondering would my stomach hold up too. The whole race was ran under pressure and disappointment. It was still a pb in the end but should have so much better. I considered a DNF more than once but realistically I think I will finish any race no matter what - unless I physically can’t. I try to think that it’s always only me I’m disappointing and my family etc just want me to cross the finish line fit and healthy.
    2. Have you found it difficult working your running around family or has it been pretty easy?

I’m extremely lucky with my very tolerant husband but I try to make sure I’m not impacting the family too much. I currently run 5 times a week, two nights after the kids are in bed, a Wednesday morning (which was my own as kids in childcare it Summer holidays have put paid to that), early Saturday mornings and Sunday mornings before work and my husband generally doesn’t know I run then as I leave for work before they all get up anyway. My biggest issue is my husband travels a lot but I have a school girl down the road that babysits. I’ll nearly always find a way :)

3. Are you an adventure holiday type person or beach lounger?

Adventure holiday if I had a choice. I loved skiing holidays and lived in Poland for a couple of years so did loads of it. I’ve done a few sailing holidays and diving holidays. If I do a sun holiday I like to be diving. It’s all about the kids now though.
    4. What's your best dish to cook?

I love cooking and collect cookbooks but don’t get to do really nice dishes any more. My best day to day dish is prob a chilli con carne that my husband loves and I prob do once a week. If I was cooking a special meal for guests I have a fab recipe for monkfish in a Thai butter sauce that is incredible and dead simple too actually.
    5. Whos your best bud from last years novices?

Well she’s not on Boards anymore really but Leesider introduced me to the thread and we’ve been great friends for years in real life. In terms of the rest of the group there’s a few of us have stayed in touch since, Ariana, Baby75, Browneyes79, Quickbeam, SkyBlue, Lazare and it’s funny but I can’t remember the other lads Boards names!!
    6. Proudest moment?

My wedding day was amazing. Having both my kids and DCM!!
    7. Biggest regret?

I don’t have a lot of regrets really. I’ve done some mad stuff in my life and made some funny choices but all of them then resulted in something good or leading onto something better. I often wish I’d met my husband earlier and had our kids earlier but then I’d have missed years of travel and seeing different places and can’t have everything.
    8. Have you learned anything about yourself from running?

That if I put my mind to something I can achieve it. I would have considered myself as a not very sporty person and unfit and couldn’t imagine running a marathon. It wasn’t even a goal as I didn’t think it was something I could do. Then I randomly booked Cork 2017 and suddenly I’d 4 done in a year!
    9. Best thing about where you're from (Cork)?

It’s small and easy to get everywhere. I lived in Dublin for 7 years and spent a few years up there 3 days a week for work. Getting anywhere always took so long. Cork is just easy.
    10. Favourite pizza? Toppings and from where?

I love pizza with caramelized onion, goats cheese and pesto and the base has to be really thin and crispy. I’d say Milano really as don’t really do take away pizza. Usually not a thin enough base from take aways - I think!

• Advertisement

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    1 - If you had your first marathon over again, is there anything you'd do different? (Either on the day itself or in training)

I wish I had eaten better. I’m prone to putting on weight easily and I put on 15.5lbs while training. I gave myself license to eat all around me because I was running and totally proved you can’t outrun a bad diet. Carrying the extra weight on the day wasn’t very helpful!

Editing to add to this. My nutrition on the day wasn’t ideal though I didn’t know any better. I ran out of steam at 21 miles and was handed a Mars Bar. After a little while I took off and ran my fastest few miles. If I had taken gels more frequently I believe I would have prevented that.
    2 - Fota Wildlife or Dublin Zoo?

Fota is great because it’s local and they’ve added to it a good bit in the last few years. Great race in their each May too. I’d love to see Dublin zoo soon again. Haven’t been in about 20 years I’d say.
    3 - Would you rather be too hot or too cold?

I think given the current weather I’d say too cold as I could wear more clothes to warm up or run faster. Can’t cool down right now :cool:
    4 - Favourite running memory?

The whole lot of DCM 17. Seeing friends at various points, random chats to strangers on the way round, getting to the top of heart break hill, feeling strong and waving my hands in the air shouting ‘I did it’ and a little sprint and then back to normal running and of course going through the finish line, tears when I got my medal, McGrattans ....

Advertisement