Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Minor schemes & realignments

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Update on Minor Works in Cork

N73 Clogher Cross/Waterdyke: 100k for 2018 for CPO, consultants to be appointed to complete design
    N73 Annakisha: 5k for 2018. CPO published November 2017, Oral Hearing date awaited from ABP.
    N71 Newmills: Feasibility and project appraisal to be completed
    N72 Carrig to Ballygriffin: At route selection stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭roadmaster

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

N73 Annakisha realignment has entered the CPO stage as per Corkman today. Construction expected to begin in 2019

N80 Maidenhead near Arles in Co. Laois is to start in October, tender due in June: https://laois-nationalist.ie/2018/06/14/contract-to-straighten-dangerous-bends-at-arles-will-be-awarded-in-october/

marno21 wrote: »
    N73 Annakisha realignment has entered the CPO stage as per Corkman today. Construction expected to begin in 2019

N80 Maidenhead near Arles in Co. Laois is to start in October, tender due in June: https://laois-nationalist.ie/2018/06/14/contract-to-straighten-dangerous-bends-at-arles-will-be-awarded-in-october/
    Article on N73 realignment: https://www.independent.ie/regionals/corkman/news/cpos-agreed-for-n73-realignment-scheme-37007246.html

N60 Lagnamuck scheme has gone to tender. This wasn't in the 2018 agenda so extra funding must have been allocated

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase.asp?PID=130581

• Advertisement

Tender issued for 1.5km of widening of the R498 near J25 on the M7.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase.asp?PID=131609

Resurfacing working between Delvin and Clonmellon last week and i think this week

Kerry County Council proceeding with a realignment of the N70 SE of Caherdaniel, totalling 1.2km

http://www.kerrycoco.ie/part-v111-brackaharagh-road-project/

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Dev1234

Hi all,

Does anyone have an update on the N63 works outside Abbeyknockmoy?

Works looked like they stopped there for a while and there isn't much progress on a weekly basis.

Is there a finish date that they are working to?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Dev1234 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Does anyone have an update on the N63 works outside Abbeyknockmoy?

Works looked like they stopped there for a while and there isn't much progress on a weekly basis.

Is there a finish date that they are working to?

Thanks
    IMAG3249_zpsxm9xce9t.jpg
    Works where to be finished on the end of may and it was pushed back to the 29/06/18 now it looks like it will be the end of July before works are completely finished

• Advertisement

Roscommon County Council have tendered for tree removal along the route of the 3.4km N60 Oran realignment

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase.asp?PID=131895

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I see there is a scheme to replace an old bridge in Mountrivers Co Clare. But why on earth are they knocking the old bridge. Why not let it remain and have it for pedestrians only. Absolute madness.

https://twitter.com/gilleeece/status/1014925627269500929?s=21

Just to note that one of the photos in that tweet is of a different bridge. Doesn’t hide the fact that an old stone bridge is being knocked when it could remain beside a new bridge.

I see there is a scheme to replace an old bridge in Mountrivers Co Clare. But why on earth are they knocking the old bridge. Why not let it remain and have it for pedestrians only. Absolute madness.

https://twitter.com/gilleeece/status/1014925627269500929?s=21

Just to note that one of the photos in that tweet is of a different bridge. Doesn’t hide the fact that an old stone bridge is being knocked when it could remain beside a new bridge.
    The 2nd bridge seen in the aerial photo is a temporary bridge installed to facilitate the road being operational during bridge rehabilitation.

The original bridge is being knocked and replaced with a new bridge in exactly the same location. There was no feasibility for keeping the old bridge as the new bridge will be taking its place. There isn't funding to replace this bridge with a new one downstream combined with the added costs of road realignment. If the bridge wasn't sufficiently bad enough to require demolition, they wouldn't be doing this.

This bridge is part of a contract to rehabilitate 4 bridges, 2 of which will involve bridge demolition and replacement (Dysart Bridge on the N23 in Kerry and this bridge Mountriver Bridge on the N67 in Clare), and two which will involve bridge widening and strengthening (Beheenagh Bridge on the N72 in Kerry between Rathmore and Barraduff and Ballymona Bridge in Kerry on the N70).

The tweet above seems to be from someone who knows half the story and isn't aware of why this is being done. It's not being done because someone in Clare County Council is on a crusade against bridges. The bridge simply isn't fit to remain in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

They also look to be replacing it with an externally similar looking bridge, just with 2 spans instead of 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I really do think it is a shame that this bridge was demolished.

It was demolished due to a state of disrepair, simply that it was no longer up to standard.

I don’t know the cost of CPOing additional land and the cost of slightly rerouting the road but I don’t think it would have been that significant.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If the bridge didn't have the hydraulic capacity for flood waters it'd have to go; may be the reason here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

marno21 wrote:
    This bridge is part of a contract to rehabilitate 4 bridges, 2 of which will involve bridge demolition and replacement (Dysart Bridge on the N23 in Kerry and this bridge Mountriver Bridge on the N67 in Clare), and two which will involve bridge widening and strengthening (Beheenagh Bridge on the N72 in Kerry between Rathmore and Barraduff and Ballymona Bridge in Kerry on the N70).

Excavators and site offices have moved in at Beheenagh Bridge on the N72, great to see this dangerous bridge being removed. Will there be a temporary bridge installed here similar to the one on the N67?
    I passed it a few weeks ago and saw the temporary structure and thought for a second it was the new bridge! Makes me wonder could more have been done to keep the N23 open during construction? People are ignoring all the road closed signs, sitting at Kerry Airport yesterday I saw at least 3 coaches pass heading to Castleisland, and within 10 minutes they had to come back to Farranfore.

I presume this new road is part of the planning and will become public but i cant recall a private PLC using Etenders to advertise work. Maybe they have in the past.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=131819&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its not common but it does happen. That road is a required condition of the planning and has to be built and handed over before the rest of the work starts; its basically a relief road for Maynooth Main Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Dev1234

Regarding the N63 Galway coco got back to me and have stated that the temporary traffic lights will be removed within the next 3 weeks and tarmac to be completed by the end of August.

• Advertisement

Engineering consultancy services required by Cork County Council for N73 Annakisha realignment. Absolute dogs dinner of a road

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase.asp?PID=132302

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Not sure if its been mentioned but there looks to be a realignment/widening ongoing along few km of the N2 south of Emyvale. Drove it for the first time in a while earlier and a lot of mature trees have been chopped with marker pins along the new alignment

Not sure if its been mentioned but there looks to be a realignment/widening ongoing along few km of the N2 south of Emyvale. Drove it for the first time in a while earlier and a lot of mature trees have been chopped with marker pins along the new alignment
    Yep, this is the N2 Monaghan-Emyvale Phase 3. The whole lot from Clontibret-Border will eventually be replaced by 2+2 dual carriageway in the next few years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

marno21 wrote: »
    Yep, this is the N2 Monaghan-Emyvale Phase 3. The whole lot from Clontibret-Border will eventually be replaced by 2+2 dual carriageway in the next few years.

Fine. But just in case that takes some time, upgrading the existing road is worthwhile. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

I noticed some roadworks over near Peamount the other day, and found this online dating from 2006.
    http://www.sdublincoco.ie/Media/Item/11436

It's a nice new route, but it will probably mean more traffic queueing at the lights at the hatch bar.

This probably comes under more realignments than minor schemes. I had a few meeting in North Monaghan and Cavan today with me over back the N54 a few times. The sections in Monaghan are not to bad at all with just some dodgy sections on the east side of clones ( we wont mention the death trap that is the A3 section of this road in Fermanagh . But the N54 in Cavan is very poor is there any reason the monaghan sections got upgraded but not the cavan sections. Even the N54 monaghan section that has fermanagh at each end is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭serfboard

roadmaster wrote: »
    any reason the monaghan sections got upgraded but not the cavan sections
    Heather Humphreys?

Looking by the surfacing this morning i would say the road was completed long before she was in office

• Registered Users Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

roadmaster wrote: »
    Looking by the surfacing this morning i would say the road was completed long before she was in office
    yep, most of that work happened in the late 90s and early 2000s bit by bit.

Just a pity that the part of the road through Fermanagh is still as bad as ever was from the Cavan border at Legakelly/Castle Saunderson to the first time it switches into Monaghan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Is there any particular reason theres so much resurfacing going on at the moment around the country? Off the top of my head I've seen resurfacing on the N14, N15, N17, N4 and N2 over the past few weeks and for the most part I never noticed issues with any of the sections being resurfaced. Seems like a waste of money that could have been spent on actual improvements to the roads

Advertisement