Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A/R/Tist in the Spotlight - Swashbuckler

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Good stuff going on in the thread here!

1. Have you had many running injuries to date, how have you managed them?

2. Do you do any S&C work?

3. What's the best "running" thing about Ballyheigue? Plenty of hills and views for training I think.

4. What races abroad have you looked at?

5. Does thrash talk ever thrown about at the start of race at the top end?

6. What's the most annoying thing someone has ever done to you in a race?

7. I like that you want to run into old age (as do I), but are you going to get involved in track stuff? (The county/provincial championship days are good fun and competitive at the masters level, not sure what age you are)

8. What's the most you've ever left it out there in a race and did you wonder afterwards was it worth it?

9. When you started running did you do a couch to 5K plan or how did you get going?

10. If you could win DCM but no one would ever know about it (world wide mind blank, record/result erased) or else finish second and everyone know about it what would you chose?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

diego_b wrote:
    1. Have you had many running injuries to date, how have you managed them?
    None, fingers crossed. The closest I'd say I've been to a running injury was shooting pains down my calf muscle. They haven't happened since Luke took on my training. Tells me I was probably overloading. I've also lost weight in the last year so could have been a nerve compression thing. All the scans showed up nothing.
    diego_b wrote:
    2. Do you do any S&C work?

I don't at the moment but down the line if Luke thinks it's worthwhile and we have the time, I'd be more than happy to add it. I guess the Drills I do are indirect strength and conditioning.
    diego_b wrote:
    3. What's the best "running" thing about Ballyheigue? Plenty of hills and views for training I think.

Jesus the hills are a curse in a way haha. If I'm not doing a session I'm meant to be running easy. Easy isn't easy on those hills. The best thing is definitely the views.
    diego_b wrote:
    4. What races abroad have you looked at?
    I haven't to be honest although in the long term I'd be curious about the grand slam of marathons.
    diego_b wrote:
    5. Does thrash talk ever thrown about at the start of race at the top end?
    I'm not as top end as you'd think. I've been top end in some soft races this year. I've never heard anything bad said. I wouldn't be surprised if it went on out on the road though.
    diego_b wrote:
    6. What's the most annoying thing someone has ever done to you in a race?

Beat me... Haha....
    The only thing I can think of is people pushing themselves up with the top runners and running snails pace to start. One specific example was a guy with a dog on a leash in the Limerick 6 miler. I refuse to run that anymore. It's messy. Typically I position myself in races where I think I belong. In Adare I sat about four fours back. In Borrisoleigh, three rows. In Tuamgraney I went front row.
    diego_b wrote:
    7. I like that you want to run into old age (as do I), but are you going to get involved in track stuff? (The county/provincial championship days are good fun and competitive at the masters level, not sure what age you are)
    Yep I'd like to dip my toes into everything. Cross country, track and road. Absolutely. I'm 38 next week!
    diego_b wrote:
    8. What's the most you've ever left it out there in a race and did you wonder afterwards was it worth it?
    A couple of weeks ago in Borrisoleigh isn't far off the most fecked I've been after a race. It's a good question you ask. I've often wondered do the top lads do it. I doubt they do. I get the impression the best racers are the ones who are managing effort level reasonably well until the last km or so and then kick on. I'm usually pushing close to the limit from 5km onwards in the 10k race.
    It's always worth it. I've never ever regretted being fecked after a race. The hormones it sends around the body afterwards are great haha. I had three races in June and I was fecked after each and I'm feeling it a bit now so it does need to be managed.
    diego_b wrote:
    9. When you started running did you do a couch to 5K plan or how did you get going?

Nope. Ive always been interested in fitness. Several ankle twists from soccer sent me to the road and running in straight lines.
    diego_b wrote:
    10. If you could win DCM but no one would ever know about it (world wide mind blank, record/result erased) or else finish second and everyone know about it what would you chose?
    First. No doubt. Honestly don't care about recognition. I'd go back the following year and win it again and everyone would know about that one. Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

https://beerlovermarathon.be/

An idea for a foreign race!!!

Thanks for the answers, especially good answer and attitude on number 10!
    When saying about wondering is it worth it, I know a former Olympian who's had a knee replacement later in their life and I'd wonder for the pain and discomfort of that (plus an absolute end to running in their late 50's/early 60's) was it worth it. I don't think I could possibly ask the person the question but the sacrifices both physical (and possibly in personal life) at times for everyone as they step up the levels are something that can come to the fore.

Also that 6 miler in Limerick is an absolute sham, the only reason why it is 6 and not 6.2 mile is that to have an AAI certified race for 10K competitors have to be over 18s. Absolute money grab to get the kids in to try get around almost 10K.

p.s. Don't forget Banna 10K for August Bank Holiday weekend....pb course and organized by my club St. Brendan's AC.

diego_b wrote:
    Thanks for the answers, especially good answer and attitude on number 10! When saying about wondering is it worth it, I know a former Olympian who's had a knee replacement later in their life and I'd wonder for the pain and discomfort of that (plus an absolute end to running in their late 50's/early 60's) was it worth it. I don't think I could possibly ask the person the question but the sacrifices both physical (and possibly in personal life) at times for everyone as they step up the levels are something that can come to the fore.
    Well in terms of the physical, leaving it almost all out there (we never leave it all out there) I don't think has any impact on my physical wellbeing. I wouldn't be pushing myself to the limits of injury if you know what I mean. In terms of the personal sacrifices I don't honestly think I make any sacrifices yet. In time we'll see. But at the moment most of my running is at work. No impact on family apart from when we're on holidays. Lol
    diego_b wrote:
    p.s. Don't forget Banna 10K for August Bank Holiday weekend....pb course and organized by my club St. Brendan's AC.

Killarney 10k in July 28th!

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote:
    An idea for a foreign race!!!

I can hardly manage staying awake after three pints these days nevermind a marathon plus pints. Haha

Well in terms of the physical, leaving it almost all out there (we never leave it all out there) I don't think has any impact on my physical wellbeing. I wouldn't be pushing myself to the limits of injury if you know what I mean. In terms of the personal sacrifices I don't honestly think I make any sacrifices yet. In time we'll see. But at the moment most of my running is at work. No impact on family apart from when we're on holidays. Lol

Killarney 10k in July 28th!

True, I know my wife has on occasion told me to go for a run or get my training done earlier in the day as it helps lessen the impact and keeps me a happy bunny. That's generally to the fore the last month of marathon training when 2-3 hour runs have to be done.

Ah yes, I've done the half there a few times but missing it due to a wedding this year. You have a good week there to recover with the Banna run on Sunday 5th. There's a nice long Strava segment there from Ardfert village to Banna cross you could well get up the ranks on...and of course main course of the race! Usually have a few good club runners at the top end in it.

diego_b wrote:
    Ah yes, I've done the half there a few times but missing it due to a wedding this year. You have a good week there to recover with the Banna run on Sunday 5th. There's a nice long Strava segment there from Ardfert village to Banna cross you could well get up the ranks on...and of course main course of the race! Usually have a few good club runners at the top end in it.

I can't honestly say I've ever looked at a Strava segment to be honest. Given the month I've had I'll be tapering back a little on races the next two months for sure. I'm feeling it lately. But thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Really interesting stuff so far... Thanks for answering my earlier questions. A few more if you don't mind

- At amateur level in running how much is talent and how much is hard work & determination?

- Would you recommend to anyone to go down the coaching route as a way to progress or do you think it's a natural progression when a runner hits a stage in their running?

- Do you think you're capable of being 'tough to be kind'? You are always very encouraging and pretty sound to be honest, if you saw something someone really making a b*lls of their training/racing in their log/strava would you be able to be fairly harsh if you thought they needed to hear it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

ariana` wrote: »

- Do you think you're capable of being 'tough to be kind'? You are always very encouraging and pretty sound to be honest, if you saw something someone really making a b*lls of their training/racing in their log/strava would you be able to be fairly harsh if you thought they needed to hear it?

Ooh that’s a good question.

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote:
    Really interesting stuff so far... Thanks for answering my earlier questions. A few more if you don't mind

ariana` wrote:
    - At amateur level in running how much is talent and how much is hard work & determination?

Absolutely don't mind. Ask anything you like. Good questions.
    ariana` wrote:
    - Would you recommend to anyone to go down the coaching route as a way to progress or do you think it's a natural progression when a runner hits a stage in their running?

I think it depends on your personality. Definitely not a natural progression. My instinct is always to pass on any knowledge I can and I love helping people especially with running coz I've such an interest. But I know plenty of people who are top runners and have no interest in coaching. I don't coach by the way unless you count that one buddy I have that I've worked with at various points in the last year. It's something I'd like to do more of. Finding the time would be the tricky part. Coaching people will only help your own running. The more you coach the more you (should) read, the more you learn, the more you can apply to your own training.
    ariana` wrote:

I've almost fallen out with my buddy a couple of times. Haha. It's hard to convince someone what "easy" means.
    But we're close so we can be very direct with each other with no issues. I come across that way on Boards or Strava for a few reasons. You guys genuinely want to improve and will listen. I'm also not really responsible for your well being. Just some tips here and there. If I'm coaching someone it would drive me mad if they keep ignoring the advice. I'd also feel some sense of responsibility for their health so I'd need to be harsher when advice isn't followed. I've had several conversations with my buddy about pacing and effort levels. It sunk in eventually. Haha. I have plenty of people I know on Strava making a complete and utter balls of their training but its not my business to give advice when none is asked for.

By the way Luke has never given be a bollicking (yet). Haha

ariana` wrote:

Missed this one. Honestly (and people might disagree) I believe at our level it's 100% hard work and determination. I don't think talent comes into it to be a good runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Missed this one. Honestly (and people might disagree) I believe at our level it's 100% hard work and determination. I don't think talent comes into it to be a good runner.

Controversial! Haha. Don't you think hard work and determination will improve everyone but by how much depends on nature? Start 100 non runners of the same age and gender on an identical plan, assume all are dedicated....do you not think there will be a wide range of performance as a result?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Controversial! Haha. Don't you think hard work and determination will improve everyone but by how much depends on nature? Start 100 non runners of the same age and gender on an identical plan, assume all are dedicated....do you not think there will be a wide range of performance as a result?

Agree. “Talent” = genetics.

Q - How do you manage pain (if you haven’t answered this yet?) Do you have a particular technique or just pure stubbornness, 00negative-style?

skyblue46 wrote:

Haha it's a fair question. There's a major flaw in your rationale though. The same plan for 100 runners will yield wildly different results because each runner will have his own individual weaknesses and strengths that aren't addressed by a plan. However I get your point. I think some will be more dedicated than others and I think other factors are more important than "talent" at our level Mindset is a big thing. If you take 100 runners of the same mindset and same dedication and tailor their training to their own individual needs I think you'll get similar results. I think most of us could get to the same point with hard work. But to get beyond that takes talent.

Murph_D wrote:
    Agree. “Talent†= genetics.

And I think genetics has less of a role for people at our level. We could all get to 35 minute 10ks. No exception.
    Murph_D wrote:
    Q - How do you manage pain (if you haven’t answered this yet?) Do you have a particular technique or just pure stubbornness, 00negative-style?

Definitely stubbornness plays a part. A big part. I keep reminding myself how hard I've worked. How all those mornings in the winter are for nothing if I stop. I try as many positive reinforcements as I can and what works for one race might not for another. For example in Borrisoleigh I convinced myself that I had driven that distance and left the missus and baba at home and didn't want to be telling her I stopped. Previously it was remembering a specific tough session I had got through to get me up some hills. Anything atall that words. Even positive chatter with myself. Bigging myself up in a way and talking to the body. You get used to battling through and mostly you draw on previous tough experiences in a race and remind yourself you didn't stop then. I'll never forget Borrisoleigh because I kept going and I'll use that in the future.

Haha it's a fair question. There's a major flaw in your rationale though. The same plan for 100 runners will yield wildly different results because each runner will have his own individual weaknesses and strengths that aren't addressed by a plan. However I get your point. I think some will be more dedicated than others and I think other factors are more important than "talent" at our level Mindset is a big thing. If you take 100 runners of the same mindset and same dedication and tailor their training to their own individual needs I think you'll get similar results. I think most of us could get to the same point with hard work. But to get beyond that takes talent.

Haha...the nerve of you! A major flaw!!! Pffftttt. Talent & hard work and tailored plan = Ronaldo/ Messi. Hard work and tailored plan = Jordan Henderson! No way can you disregard talent/ genetics. I prefer Murphs comment on another thread that any reasonably fit and prepared man should find a 4 hour marathon doable than the idea that there's a 35 min 10k there for the taking :pac:

skyblue46 wrote:
    Haha...the nerve of you! A major flaw!!! Pffftttt. Talent & hard work and tailored plan = Ronaldo/ Messi. Hard work and tailored plan = Jordan Henderson! No way can you disregard talent/ genetics. I prefer Murphs comment on another thread that any reasonably fit and prepared man should find a 4 hour marathon doable than the idea that there's a 35 min 10k there for the taking

Haha you realise I mean at our level. Not elite level marathon runners. I don't think talent plays any part for the likes of me and you. We can reach the same level with hard work and dedication. With an abundance of talent we could have been Olympic athletes.

Just to reinforce my point, ariana asked at amateur level not elite. Messi and Henderson are professionals. I don't think talent plays much part at our level. We can all reach a reasonable standard (amateur) through hard work and dedication. I love a bit of debate. Haha

Haha you realise I mean at our level. Not elite level marathon runners. I don't think talent plays any part for the likes of me and you. We can reach the same level with hard work and dedication. With an abundance of talent we could have been Olympic athletes.

Just to reinforce my point, ariana asked at amateur level not elite. Messi and Henderson are professionals. I don't think talent plays much part at our level. We can all reach a reasonable standard (amateur) through hard work and dedication. I love a bit of debate. Haha

I think talent/ genetic ability plays a massive part. I'm convinced it's why some hit a glass ceiling despite lots of training while others can run faster times off little or no training. Like kids in school who have no aptitude for soccer/ music/ art/ athletics despite a burning desire and lots of training/ grinds/ classes to be better ...it carries on into adulthood.

skyblue46 wrote:
    I think talent/ genetic ability plays a massive part. I'm convinced it's why some hit a glass ceiling despite lots of training while others can run faster times off little or no training. Like kids in school who have no aptitude for soccer/ music/ art/ athletics despite a burning desire and lots of training/ grinds/ classes to be better ...it carries on into adulthood.

I'll put it to you this way (I've a feeling we won't agree on this regardlesa) but I believe most people with the proper attitude and dedication and hard work and correct training and several other factors outside of genetics can reach a reasonably high standard. Genetics will push someone on to another level. Some might take longer than others but not because of talent... In my humble option. Lol. Genetics or talent is too easy an excuse not to work hard to push yourself beyond your considered limits. Ah shur I'd never reach that level. I'm not Kenyan so why bother trying. Lol.

• Advertisement

I'll put it to you this way (I've a feeling we won't agree on this regardlesa) but I believe most people with the proper attitude and dedication and hard work and correct training and several other factors outside of genetics can reach a reasonably high standard. Genetics will push someone on to another level. Some might take longer than others but not because of talent... In my humble option. Lol. Genetics or talent is too easy an excuse not to work hard to push yourself beyond your considered limits. Ah shur I'd never reach that level. I'm not Kenyan so why bother trying. Lol.

No I don't think we'll ever agree on it to be honest. In no way am I suggesting that it's an excuse to not try to get the best from oneself. But neither should someone who doesn't reach a reasonably high standard feel that they have trained inadequately or had too little desire. It just may not be in their capability range. For example my parents spent endless amounts on lessons because I desperately wanted to play a musical instrument. Failure...I just couldn't do it. On the other hand any sport that involved hand/eye coordination I could pick up in no time.

skyblue46 wrote:
    No I don't think we'll ever agree on it to be honest. In no way am I suggesting that it's an excuse to not try to get the best from oneself. But neither should someone who doesn't reach a reasonably high standard feel that they have trained inadequately or had too little desire. It just may not be in their capability range. For example my parents spent endless amounts on lessons because I desperately wanted to play a musical instrument. Failure...I just couldn't do it. On the other hand any sport that involved hand/eye coordination I could pick up in no time.

What do you think is the limit of your capability at 10k for example? Just curious

skyblue46 wrote:
    But neither should someone who doesn't reach a reasonably high standard feel that they have trained inadequately or had too little desire.

I agree cometely by the way. But I've seen a lot of people think they have reached their limit but if their truly honest they have reached the limit of how much they want to put in.

What do you think is the limit of your capability at 10k for example? Just curious

That's an interesting one. I'm not sure. Quite a bit faster than I can do now. Not sure that I can/ want to make the necessary lifestyle changes that would be a help. I'd be thinking high 37/ low 38 within 18 months.

skyblue46 wrote:
    That's an interesting one. I'm not sure. Quite a bit faster than I can do now. Not sure that I can/ want to make the necessary lifestyle changes that would be a help. I'd be thinking high 37/ low 38 within 18 months.

And I think if you were willing to make the changes youd reach 35 for definite. Nothing to do with genetics. Just hard work. So little talent in my eyes needed at our level. We can all reach a decent level without factoring talent.

And I think if you were willing to make the changes youd reach 35 for definite. Nothing to do with genetics. Just hard work. So little talent in my eyes needed at our level. We can all reach a decent level without factoring talent.

Again I disagree...surprisingly :pac: I think I have certain genes that help me. I think some training is helping me gradually enable them to prosper a bit. There are lads I beat in school races 40 years ago when we weren't training. I'd wager I'd still beat the same lads, and the lads who beat me then still would with equal training, even now. Everyone can train perfectly, it's ability that separates at every level. I suppose we also both took a different meaning from ariana's question.

I'm never giving up my 30 pints a week! :D

skyblue46 wrote:
    Again I disagree...surprisingly I think I have certain genes that help me. I think some training is helping me gradually enable them to prosper a bit. There are lads I beat in school races 40 years ago when we weren't training. I'd wager I'd still beat the same lads, and the lads who beat me then still would with equal training, even now. Everyone can train perfectly, it's ability that separates at every level. I suppose we also both took a different meaning from ariana's question.

I think we're probably looking at this differently. I guess I took arianas question as meaning do i think talent plays a part for people at amateur level being able to reach a decent level and I don't think it does. If the question means do I think people with natural talent will prosper more than those with none then probably no. But I guess what I'm saying is I believe most of us can get to a pretty decent standard before talent plays a part. For me talent is what differentiates someone who's a low 30s 10k vs an Olympic athlete. We can all work on improving our technique, stride, running systems etc. At some point you'll hit a ceiling. I don't think that ceiling is at our level.

I think we're probably looking at this differently. I guess I took arianas question as meaning do i think talent plays a part for people at amateur level being able to reach a decent level and I don't think it does. If the question means do I think people with natural talent will prosper more than those with none then probably no. But I guess what I'm saying is I believe most of us can get to a pretty decent standard before talent plays a part. For me talent is what differentiates someone who's a low 30s 10k vs an Olympic athlete. We can all work on improving our technique, stride, running systems etc. At some point you'll hit a ceiling. I don't think that ceiling is at our level.

Yeah while I'm looking at it from the view where someone trains like a god and can't break 50 for 10k while someone else can rock up off a bit of football training and run 42. Different perspectives on the same question. To me the difference there is ability pure and simple.

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote:
    Yeah while I'm looking at it from the view where someone trains like a god and can't break 50 for 10k while someone else can rock up off a bit of football training and run 42. Different perspectives on the same question. To me the difference there is ability pure and simple.

Most lads I see who struggle with getting sub 50 10k are usually not training right or are overweight or enjoy the finer things in life like pints, food etc or aren't training that long or all of the above. Not talent. My buddy came off double Achilles surgery. No running history. Unhealthy, boozed a lot, would say himself he was overweight. Started proper training, worked together on a specific plan to address his weaknesses over time, lost a lot of weight. Cut back on booze and recently ran sub 20 5k and isn't far off sub 40 10k. Not talent. Just hard work. The guy that comes off a little football training is likely fitter to begin with. We can all reach a good standard with just hard work. Anyway we're probably going around circles at this stage. Haha

Advertisement