Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An aspect about your body you took for granted?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Gael23 wrote: »
    Have you had a scope up? I’m having one in a few weeks.

Yeah I've had both up and down. Found the prep for it tough going. KleenPrep is the devil, 4 litres of salty armpit water, couldn't finish it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Never heard of that but googled it there and symptoms dont seem to match. Acid / heartburn isnt an issue for me.

Am sure it wouldve been picked up by now if it was a potential cause. Ive had blood tests, food allergy tests, a colonoscopy and most recently a CAT scan. Have also tried all the drugs recommended to me, over the counter or otherwise. Very little progress made.

H pylori is a breath test. You breathe out onto a piece of paper... weeks later results comes back. Positive = a course of meds. Made a massive difference to a few people in my life with IBS and/or recurrent ulcers.

Anyhooo.. mine is my ex gall bladder. That bad boy was a goner with keyhole a few years ago. No major side effects, unless I do something ridiculous like eat a big wedge of cheese. Then, the pain from being unable to process that much fat is like a train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I grew a beard for the first time ever aged 39 three years ago. I was looking at videos on how to trim it on YouTube when I saw a suggestion for a video on how something called Jamaican black castor oil is great for your beard.

I bought a bottle and tried it out. It did nothing so stopped using it but I tried it again a few months later. I used it every day for a week until one morning I woke up and my beard was hard as a rock with extremely sharp hairs poking out. I thought it might be okay after I washed it but I couldn't get it back to normal. I eventually shaved it off.

After growing it back I discovered it was still in a mess. I shaved again and shaved every day for three months before trying to grow it again. It grew back rock hard again. I continued growing it to see if it would soften off but it got worse and worse. Eventually I had to accept it was permanently altered. Before using the castor oil it used to feel so soft I used to sit around patting it. It felt like stroking a puppy.

I asked for advice on various forums but absolutely no one believed me and tried telling me it was my hormones, as if my hormones magically changed at the exact same time I threw some castor oil on my face. I visited a barber but all he did was try to sell me beard oil.

Now I can't even grow anything beyond stubble. After about two weeks of growth the hair on my face feels so stiff it actually hurts. I'll never be able to grow a beard again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

I grew a beard for the first time ever aged 39 three years ago. I was looking at videos on how to trim it on YouTube when I saw a suggestion for a video on how something called Jamaican black castor oil is great for your beard.

I bought a bottle and tried it out. It did nothing so stopped using it but I tried it again a few months later. I used it every day for a week until one morning I woke up and my beard was hard as a rock with extremely sharp hairs poking out. I thought it might be okay after I washed it but I couldn't get it back to normal. I eventually shaved it off.

After growing it back I discovered it was still in a mess. I shaved again and shaved every day for three months before trying to grow it again. It grew back rock hard again. I continued growing it to see if it would soften off but it got worse and worse. Eventually I had to accept it was permanently altered. Before using the castor oil it used to feel so soft I used to sit around patting it. It felt like stroking a puppy.

I asked for advice on various forums but absolutely no one believed me and tried telling me it was my hormones, as if my hormones magically changed at the exact same time I threw some castor oil on my face. I visited a barber but all he did was try to sell me beard oil.

Now I can't even grow anything beyond stubble. After about two weeks of growth the hair on my face feels so stiff it actually hurts. I'll never be able to grow a beard again.

Haha :D (sorry, I shouldn't laugh, but..) hahaha that is just the weirdest problem. I must have a think about that and see what I can come up with, there must be a solution. I have used castor oil concoctions in the past for white heads, but thankfully only briefly - a stiff beard as a result would have been a real downer, if only because I'm a lady. From a quick google it does seem vaguely possible that castor oil can affect hormones.... Hmmmm, very interesting conundrum!

On the subject of the OP mind your teeth, kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

By the way, for all those with the various digestive issues like IBS and constipation, you could research Triphala as a potential remedy. It is quite cheap to buy online as tablets (Organic India brand I buy) from Amazon. Don't buy the powder (Triphala Churna) it takes horrible. I use it as a support tonic - only one a day and only for brief bursts, a few days or a week at a time, then take breaks - but that is because I respond very quickly to all medicines and only need lowish doses of stuff. Maybe your body will need the recommended dosage, so experiment. It can be used almost indefinitely - if your main symptom is diarrhea with IBS, then it is not that useful, but for those who have constipation as main symptom it can help. Has the added advantage of being a rasayana - longevity medicine - so you will undoubtedly live forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

"Take care of your back" - A piece of advice I would constantly hear from my elders that I never listened to when I was younger. Now every bend, twist or turn has to be carefully calculated and executed with the utmost care or I'll be laid up for days.

The link between your head and gut is something I've never read into but sounds very interesting. Definitely true for me, stress affects my gut. I'm currently in the hunt for a new job and the stress from applying and the anxiety from interviews is giving me a hard time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Testament1 wrote: »
    Yeah I've had both up and down. Found the prep for it tough going. KleenPrep is the devil, 4 litres of salty armpit water, couldn't finish it.

The one I’ve been given is called CitraFleet. Two sachets bit not sure how much water you use,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

The link between your head and gut is something I've never read into but sounds very interesting. Definitely true for me, stress affects my gut. I'm currently in the hunt for a new job and the stress from applying and the anxiety from interviews is giving me a hard time.

Stress affects the body in many different ways, like when you're very tense your upper back and neck muscles can start feeling tense and even give you a headache.

What I think a lot of people don't realize (or at least I didn't and I hope I'm not the only eejit) is that it works both ways, if you relax properly it can undo a lot of the symptoms brought on by stress like relax your neck muscles.

Took a psychologist to not just point it out to me but to prove it. Felt like a right eejit when I realized it never even occurred to me it was a 2 way street :(

Take it from a pro* kids, stress is bad.

(at stressing, relaxing...not so much :o)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

....... wrote: »
    But the other big one was changing off the combined pill. It destroys your gut flora. There was an immediate difference when I came off it.

Now I get the odd bout with nerves, but nothing like it used to be and I had every test, cameras up, cameras down etc... with no results.

What's the combined pill? Got prescribed Coloflac on my last doctors appointment, some minor lessening of the intensity of symptoms but that's about it. Have to make sure I've always got Imodium handy because eating is like a lottery, shame cos I ****in love eating! Sometimes even Imodium doesn't work. I'm sure there's probably a vicious cycle at play whereby you stress and worry about your next flare up and the same stress hastens it's onset. ****in dose to live with at the age of only 30.

Testament1 wrote: »
    What's the combined pill? Got prescribed Coloflac on my last doctors appointment, some minor lessening of the intensity of symptoms but that's about it. Have to make sure I've always got Imodium handy because eating is like a lottery, shame cos I ****in love eating! Sometimes even Imodium doesn't work. I'm sure there's probably a vicious cycle at play whereby you stress and worry about your next flare up and the same stress hastens it's onset. ****in dose to live with at the age of only 30.

It's a contraceptive which contains both estrogen and progestogen.

Advertisement