Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2018 - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Cycling is still miles cleaner than the world cup and everybody seems to be enjoying that.

Prove that statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

That people are enjoying the worldcup? Could be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I use to respect Carlton Kirby but he is so blind when it suits him. If Froome is the greatest then there shouldn't be question marks over him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Grassey wrote: »
    That people are enjoying the worldcup? Could be difficult.

No, that cycling is miles cleaner.
    Given the numbers watching the world cup, I think logic dictates that proving people are enjoying it wouldnt be overly difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,014 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

<posts link to Kirby's twitter feed>

This the crap being shovelled down people's throats
    I'm not totally au-fait with the Twitter thing, but surely you're making an active choice to follow him?

So the person doing the shovelling is you...?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Its on TG4, better coverage IMO, sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Lumen wrote: »
    I'm not totally au-fait with the Twitter thing, but surely you're making an active choice to follow him?

So the person doing the shovelling is you...?

No I don't follow him on Twitter but he's the main voice on ES who have most of the Cycling, and even when someone not so biased tries to get a word in he forces his own agenda on them. What he says on Twitter only reinforces this. Take a drink any time he mentions "The Greatest" during the Tour and you'll have Russians raising their eyebrows at your state.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

terrydel wrote: »
    No, that cycling is miles cleaner.
    Given the numbers watching the world cup, I think logic dictates that proving people are enjoying it wouldnt be overly difficult.
    Caught a BBC highlights show of the world cup and there commenting how many games had been decided late. Football fans can continue to bury their heads about blood doping/ pretending doping for endurance won't happen because its "a game of skill"... Don't test, won't find, and no media company prepared to kill their golden goose to go digging. Unless its the russian team.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Caught a BBC highlights show of the world cup and there commenting how many games had been decided late. Football fans can continue to bury their heads about blood doping/ pretending doping for endurance won't happen because its "a game of skill"... Don't test, won't find, and no media company prepared to kill their golden goose to go digging. Unless its the russian team.

Very true, you can have all the skill in the world, but if you can run 20km in a game doped and only 15km if you weren't, that is going to make you a much better player all told, same is true for tennis and any other sport that has its head firmly stuck in the sand!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Inquitus wrote: »
    Very true, you can have all the skill in the world, but if you can run 20km in a game doped and only 15km if you weren't, that is going to make you a much better player all told, same is true for tennis and any other sport that has its head firmly stuck in the sand!

Footballers generally run about 12 km max. And it's very stop start with loads of recovery time built in. the ball is in play only 2/3 of the time.. It's not head stuck in sand, it's just that the benefits to an individual footballer in a team game are far far lower than in cycling or athletics

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    Footballers generally run about 12 km max. And it's very stop start with loads of recovery time built in. the ball is in play only 2/3 of the time.. It's not head stuck in sand, it's just that the benefits to an individual footballer in a team game are far far lower than in cycling or athletics

Still tangible if you can run further in a match, for longer, or perhaps faster, you benefit. There's a reason half of Real Madrid's players had blood bags with Fuentes.

In other le Tour news, Wilco Kelderman is out following a crash in the nationals yesterday and Bouhanni was left out of the Cofidis squad.

In other le Tour news, Wilco Kelderman is out following a crash in the nationals yesterday and Bouhanni was left out of the Cofidis squad.

Big loss for Sunweb and Dumoulin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

Inquitus wrote: »
    Big loss for Sunweb and Dumoulin

You'd have to question Kelderman's bike handling skills. If my memory is correct he is constantly crashing!

Pa8301 wrote: »
    You'd have to question Kelderman's bike handling skills. If my memory is correct he is constantly crashing!

He's not long recovered from a crash at Tirreno-Adriatico, seems this crash bent the plate he had to repair his collar bone from that one.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kelderman-ruled-out-of-tour-de-france-with-shoulder-injury/

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Pa8301 wrote: »

Perhaps a bit unfair, his crash at the Giro last year was because a motorbike suddenly parked in front of him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

Miklos wrote: »
    Perhaps a bit unfair, his crash at the Giro last year was because a motorbike suddenly parked in front of him!

I am perhaps being a bit unfair alright from the comfort of my armchair!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

Bouhanni being left out isn't surprising after his antics at Route d'Occitanie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

coco0981 wrote: »
    Bouhanni being left out isn't surprising after his antics at Route d'Occitanie

Bouhanni is the 'star' of Cofidis and paid big bucks
    He is required to perform esp at Frances biggest race

So I guess that's him gone from that team soon..why pay hime if they dont take him to the Tour

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Bouhanni is the 'star' of Cofidis and paid big bucks
    He is required to perform esp at Frances biggest race

So I guess that's him gone from that team soon..why pay hime if they dont take him to the Tour

Think Bouhanni is out of contract at the end of this year isn't he? Laporte seems to be well thought of there so Bouhannis results don't really merit the headache he brings

• Advertisement

If even half of what Carlton Kirby says about him on commentary is true I'd imagine his team mates won't be sorry to see that back of him.

Also Caleb Ewan was left out by Michelton Scott. Seems to have been a casualty of 8 man squads

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Is say cofidis have a pain in their hole with bouhani. Thinks he's the bees knees but is really just an average sprinter who's ego is bigger then his capability

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Terrible route. Far too many mountain stages the aren’t mountain top finishes.

Froome to win by 2.5 minutes.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Brian? wrote: »
    Terrible route. Far too many mountain stages the aren’t mountain top finishes.

Froome to win by 2.5 minutes.

The grid start thing they have on 1 stage sounds like a complete **** up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

No idea if the cobbles will be exciting.. the year Froome crashed out it was carnage. Then the year after nothing much happened

neris wrote: »
    The grid start thing they have on 1 stage sounds like a complete **** up.

Can't speak for the grid start but it looks to be a reworking of what the women rode in Le Course last year, granted it was a one day race but it was a pretty exciting one over a short 65 or so km.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Inquitus wrote:
    Still tangible if you can run further in a match, for longer, or perhaps faster, you benefit. There's a reason half of Real Madrid's players had blood bags with Fuentes.
    "He's a great engine"....

Ignoring the fact that modern football tactics are far more based on physical fitness, it's also about being less fatigued so make better decisions/ keep concentration better. Saying it could have no impact also ignores the role of recovery, in a season long two game a week schedule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    No idea if the cobbles will be exciting.. the year Froome crashed out it was carnage. Then the year after nothing much happened

Froome has learned his lesson. He'll put the hand out as the enforcer and force everyone to slow down and neutralise the race until the cobbles are passed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I wish they would do away with all this crap of protecting the leader, when the leader of the race has a problem, it should be treated as a race and none of these crap made up rules by the riders where they wait for the leader.
    I know support this here, but it annoys me.

Advertisement