Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bayliner Ciera 2655 1999 Project

Options
  • 02-07-2018 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

So after thinking about it for a few months I bit the bullet and purchased a boat in March. I previously had a very small speedboat that I used very little as my wife didn't like being out on such a small boat.
    I am a complete novice with boating and certainly anything of this size.
    I considered a few different boats such as Glastron, Four Winns, Maxum but eventually narrowed it down to a Bayliner based on the looks and interior lay out.
    I much preferred the large windows of the Bayliner as opposed to the small portholes on the others.
    Engine choices were limited due to cost and in the end I decided for the amount of actual cruising I would be doing that the Mercruiser petrol would be fine.
    I looked at a few Bayliners and after seeing the quality difference of the 80's and 90's boats I decided it had to be a mid 90's on.
    I then narrowed it down further to have a trailer.
    I then viewed one boat about 50 kms from home which was a 1996 Ciera 2655, and a 1999 Ciera 2655 about 200 kms away.
    The 2655 was facelifted in late 1999 which made all the difference, it had a much better interior, the engine was fuel injected and the cockpit was given and movable centre bench, a fold out rear bench on the transom and also a transom shower among other things.
    The boat I ended up buying had been used very little and was in good condition but filthy inside and out.
    A big plus was the canopy was practically new and all the upholstery was good.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I owned an 80's 2655 worked great for me till the kids got bigger, Best of luck with her. It might be worth changing your bulbs to led's, your fridge should also run on gas and 12v, what else have you running on 110v .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭ratracer

Best of luck with it, can’t wait to see pictures.
    I had a Bayliner Cuddy Cabin, a few years ago, but sold it as it was not suitable for what I wanted with small kids at the time. I haven’t replaced it yet, but always interested in watching how projects develop!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

A few of mine after recovering the seats .

010-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

032.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭willciviceg5

So these are the pictures the seller sent me back in January. It took a few weeks before I eventually took the spin up, when I got there I met the boat yard owner and he walked me through the boat. The owner couldn’t make it down so I got to get the real history on the boat.
    It wasnt ideal conditions to view a boat seeing as there was about 3 inch’s of snow on it
    D50A3028-FECA-4599-9A6E-068F354A52B3.jpg
    66A7AE6E-E036-4FD2-8EE9-91F27D070457.jpg
    92057A86-8616-42F8-A7B8-7D07460FCDD4.jpg
    A81E99B8-CE7E-4353-A7F3-1877D966293B.jpg
    83BCAA66-FF37-4F60-90A3-A4BE2D4ED71D.jpg
    63BB9F03-9F4C-4EE4-A6DB-25F437505B3A.jpg
    8BB306A0-2529-45B9-9401-51142C19783D.jpg

Looks good just a bit neglected nothing a bit of spit and polish can't fix, I would also want to change the impeller and fit a new bellows kit before taking to the water.

• Advertisement

So after much research and deliberation I decided to buy the boat the problem was after viewing it the first time I realised that I would not be able to tow the trailer as the bearings were toast. The owner changed the price to reflect the cost of getting the boat transported home. So I drove up the country to meet him and sort out paperwork and such.
    The owner was spot on and threw in a lot of extra stuff, lifejackets, fenders, ropes, skies, donut, banana, everything to get started really
    Also the owner of the boat yard was a really good guy and gave me fantastic advice and helped load the boat onto the low loader and made sure all was all ok as I wasn't able to be there myself.
    40B3840D-59D2-4A17-95E8-92A6863C668E.jpg
    This was the last time I would see it before it made its journey down
    2A5622D3-FC4A-4D77-8E1C-1C48CB839E00.jpg

The boat turned up at home earlier than expected and I had to rush back from work but it was mostly off by the time I got there
    599DD93B-2D34-49FB-A864-0DD8ECA96D6A.jpg

fergal.b wrote: »
    I owned an 80's 2655 worked great for me till the kids got bigger, Best of luck with her. It might be worth changing your bulbs to led's, your fridge should also run on gas and 12v, what else have you running on 110v .

Yeah I must change over to LED I'll check what I need tonight.
    As far as I can see the fridge just runs on 110v and 12v, the fresh water system and stove are the other main things I want running (apart from lights obviously)
    The water heater would be nice to have if I got a generator for shore power as it wont work off 12v

Yeah I must change over to LED I'll check what I need tonight.
    As far as I can see the fridge just runs on 110v and 12v, the fresh water system and stove are the other main things I want running (apart from lights obviously)
    The water heater would be nice to have if I got a generator for shore power as it wont work off 12v

I'd say the fresh water system is a 12 v pump you might also be able to heat the water through the engine cooling system but you will need an extra tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Welcome to the forum and best of luck with your new toy. I finally got to splash my project/ fixer upper on Sunday. It's a great feeling. Hope this good weather lasts so we all get to enjoy some time on the water. What drought? The Atlantic is full of the stuff!

So I neglected this thread recently but there has been plenty of progress with the boat. I’ll have to update later but the big issue I have at the moment that after replacing the manifolds and having the gearcables disconnected I am now stalling in reverse, I had this issue previously and adjusted it and all was well but now I can’t seem to get the sweet spot.
    I adjust it one way and it’s fine In forward and stall in reverse or vice versa.
    Does anyone know an idiot proof way of adjusting the gearcables or know someone that will do it in Graiguenamanagh co Kilkenny

• Advertisement

Could be the shift interrupter switch sometimes it differs when there is no load on the prop like when running on muffs, have a read of this.https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engine-repair-and-maintenance/mercruiser-i-o-inboard-engines-outdrives/295363-how-to-how-the-shift-interrupt-system-works

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

As fergal mentioned, your issue is most likely the shift interrupt switch, mounted on the shift bracket. This only operates when coming out of reverse and causes the engine to stall momentarily, to allow the engine to stop running, which allows the dogs/gears to disengage easily. Otherwise getting out of reverse would be very difficult. Especially when under load, as opposed to just running on muffs. I'm having similar teething (no pun intended) issues with being on the water, but getting there.

The remote shift cable fixes onto a moveable threaded stud on the shift bracket. This stud sits in a slot and should be set at the lowest position initially. If difficulty is found when disengaging or engaging reverse, the stud can be moved up along the slot, thus affecting the length of travel on the shift cable, which in turn can alter the position or degree to which the shift interrupt switch trips and for how long. No harm to check that this stud is not loose enough to move when attempting to change gear.

The switch should just trip for an instant when going through reverse, returning to it's original position. Hope this is clear and helps somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭colliemcc

How this looking now?

colliemcc wrote: »
    How this looking now?
    I Completely forgot about this thread and really should put up some pictures.
    It’s actually looking quite well today after a few weeks of scrubbing and maintenance. I'm hopefully launching today after not having it in since I took it out in October 2019. I unfortunately did not get her in the water at all last year due to Covid. It has been an actual education on boat repair and maintenance and we have had some amazing time on her. We move onto her fully for about a month in the summer.

Advertisement