Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭wally79

I still don’t get the white toothed portfolios thing.

Types of shrew

Poster typoed shrew investors rather than shrewd investors

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Ipso wrote: »
    Money makes for strange bed fellows.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Calvi

They'd be rats, more than shrews, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

The COI and their counterparts in UK are very shrew investors and have investments in many companies that would suprise many of their followers ,and seemingly at odds with their beliefs , including arms companies

According to rumour the Vatican (through the Institute for the Works of Religion) used to own shares in both Durex and Beretta at some stage.

Can't find any sources for either though.

(mind I haven't spent much time looking)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭joeguevara

wexie wrote: »
    According to rumour the Vatican (through the Institute for the Works of Religion) used to own shares in both Durex and Beretta at some stage.

They are the main shareholder in an arms company

https://www.skepticink.com/tippling/2012/12/16/guns-and-violence-vatican-bank-is-the-main-shareholder-in-pietro-beretta-arms-company/

Shareholders in durex seems to be a myth

http://www.kgbanswers.co.uk/is-true-catholic-church-own-share-in-durex-company/16824991

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Chev_Chelios

This thread is great for a binge read.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

On January 31st 1997 the French Navy sent out this message

“CALLING all. This is our last cry before our eternal silence.”

Apart from amateur radio it was the last use of Morse code.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

wexie wrote: »

joeguevara wrote: »

The Beretta one apparently is a myth, too - I was sure I had read that on a reputable source years ago, but either it's been removed (:eek:) or it was never there in the first place, I could only find references to it being a myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Cleopatra used an early version of the vibrator. It was a vessel filled with bees for good vibrations.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you measure by the northernmost point then Uruguay is the most southern nation.

If you measure by the southmost point then it's the UK.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

If you measure by record high temperature, Ireland is the second coldest country in the world (behind Iceland).

(That's considering Scotland as part of the UK and not a country in its own right, which technically it is)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,851 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

If you measure by the northernmost point then Uruguay is the most southern nation.

Eh, what's the UK in that?

Eh, what's the UK in that?

Falklands maybe

Edit: nope

Looking at a map it looks to me like New Zealand’s northernmost point is south of Uruguay but that could just be the map

wally79 wrote: »
    Falklands maybe

Edit: nope

South Georgia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

If you measure by its most southernmost point then the U.K. is the most southern nation?

** looks at map **

:confused:

joeguevara wrote: »

I was once nearly thrown out of catholic school for asking did they not think it was hypocritical that the Vatican was a shareholder in Durex. (Which I read in one of my fathers business magazines) They did not take it well at all.

But that was a long time ago and have never read it anywhere since.

So I can't say for sure if it is (or was) true. But I definitely read it at the time and caused quite some ructions in school. Was the start of my downfall as a good Catholic boy :o

If you measure by its most southernmost point then the U.K. is the most southern nation?

** looks at map **

:confused:

The UK still has a few bits and pieces of empire left. (Mostly the bits nobody else really wants)

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/South+Georgia+Island/@-43.7279578,-72.415843,3z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0xbecb0d04d60d1019:0xde9df3c446380561!8m2!3d-54.4138333!4d-36.5827165

Cleopatra used an early version of the vibrator. It was a vessel filled with bees for good vibrations.

(f)risky beesiness

wally79 wrote: »
    Looking at a map it looks to me like New Zealand’s northernmost point is south of Uruguay but that could just be the map
    Both New Zealand and the UK have islands ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Don't see the problem myself :D:D:D

Il-Salame-Piccante-Beretta.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

South Georgia etc aren't technically part of the UK.

Just in case anyone was worried.

No positive leap second WILL be introduced at the end of June 2018.

They can be added at the end of June or December if needed, 'cos science.

Nixonbot wrote: »
    can't remember offhand but it was one of those funny islands just north of Antartica so just outside the area where everyone has renounced claims for now.

Is that where the word 'honeymoon' comes from? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,796 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Neither are the Channel Islands nor the Isle of Man. They are not in the EU either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Neither are the Channel Islands nor the Isle of Man. They are not in the EU either.

Gibraltar, on the other hand, is in the EU. Still not UK though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,796 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

A rarely used abbreviation is UKOGBANI. United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Gritters have been out this week in some places, to prevent roads melting and tyres sticking.

But using crushed rock dust, not salt.

Gibraltar, on the other hand, is in the EU. Still not UK though.
    Yeah,

about that ... 271 days to go.

They are In (for now) with opt-outs.
    So even though 96% voted remain they will be out after Brexit. And so far the UK has been too busy not sorting out NI to do anything for them.

The Isle of Man on the other hand is Out, with opt-ins for customs union but not the other freedoms. Also has other data arrangements with the EU that the UK will still have to negotiate. So moving a UK data centre there might be an option even though the Isle will be out post-Brexit.

Manxmen don't have automatic EU rights unless they have it through UK status too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,848 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

that's an old Viz "Top Tip":

An empty aluminium cigar tube filled with angry wasps makes an inexpensive vibrator.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement