Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

With all the talk of spite constructions, here's a bit of local knowledge. The town of Charlestown in County Mayo was largely built out of spite.
    In the 1840's, the land occupied by what is now Charlestown, was a bog. Stepping stones across what is now known as the Roundabout, led to the ancient town of Bellaghy, just across the county border in County Sligo. There, the Mayo tenants of the Lord Dillon Estate had to carry their sacks of potatoes and grain on market days. Because they were Mayo men and tenants of Lord Dillon, they were forced to wait at the weighing scales until all the Sligo men had their produce weighed.

The Mayo tenants complained bitterly to the agent of Lord Dillon, one Charles Strickland, who protested to the Lord of Sligo estate, one of the Knox family. He was rebuffed, but it was not until later, when Strickland was publicly insulted, that he swore vengence "I will wipe out Bellaghy", he said.

http://www.mayo-ireland.ie/en/towns-villages/charlestown/history/early-history-of-charlestown.html

Nowadays the two towns are joined but Charlestown is far bigger and most people who aren't from the area are are unaware that Bellaghy is technically a separate town in a different county. Strickland won.

Incidentally, east Mayo was one of the only places in Connacht that did not see a disastrous reduction in population during the famine. Many credit this to Strickland and the Dillons being humane landlords, unlike many others in the region.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

There is a line (in bold below) in Toto's 1982 classic "Africa" that goes as follows:
    The wild dogs cry out in the night
    As they grow restless, longing for some solitary company
    I know that I must do what's right
    As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti
    I seek to cure what's deep inside, frightened of this thing that I've become

Kilimanjaro, as it happens, does not rise above the Serengeti. You can not see the Serengeti from the top of Kilimanjaro, neither can you see Kilimanjaro from anywhere in the Serengeti.

However, on a clear day you could see it from Mount Meru in Arusha NP (Tanzania), Amboselli NP (Kenya) and Tsavo West NP (also Kenya). Tsavo West is where a lot of the iconic photos of Kilimanjaro rising like Olympus towering above the landscape with animals in the foreground are taken (see below).

Zebra_At_Amboseli_National_Park-1.jpg
    Amboseli_National_Park_Elephant_Mount_Kilimanjaro.jpg

Great song, though!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The 1981 chart topper "Land Down Under" from Men at Work was subject of a legal dispute over the flute section of the song.

On a quiz show on Australian TV in 2007, the question was asked "What children's song is contained in the song Down Under?" The answer was "Kookaburra", a popular Australian nursery rhyme. Problem was that the copyright was owned by Larrikin Music (unknown to them at the time), who decided to take legal action against the song's writers Colin Hay and Ron Strykert.

Part of the flute section were found to be based on "Kookaburra", written in 1932 by Marion Sinclair (who died in 1988). After her death, the song rights transferred to Larrikin Music. Hence, they were legally entitled to sue. Hay and Strykert's counsel argued that, based on the agreement under which the song was written, the copyright was actually held by the Girl Guides Association. However, this fell on deaf ears, and the court ruled that they had ripped off "Kookaburra" and violated copyright. Larrikin asked for 60% royalties, instead they got 5%, and it was to be dated from 2002 onwards (they only got hold of the copyright in 2000) which meant the band did not have to take a large hit out of their earnings from the 80s.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mzungu wrote: »
    Larrikin asked for 60% royalties, instead they got 5%, and it was to be dated from 2002 onwards (they only got hold of the copyright in 2000) which meant the band did not have to take a large hit out of their earnings from the 80s.
    Legal fees of $4.5 million chasing $100,000 based on music rights worth just $6,100

But by then two of the band were dead, stress likely to be a major contributor.

And the rights holders only bought the music because it was used in music books for learners. So they could sue anyone who might have used bits of it thinking it was public domain.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/men-at-works-colin-hay-says-down-under-lawsuit-contributed-to-death-of-his-dad-and-bandmate/news-story/db47d17797386c960b7a7737974ea1ce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,902 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Speaking of copyright laws, Disney are seen by many as being responsible for the continual extension of their duration in the US.

https://mag.orangenius.com/how-mickey-mouse-keeps-changing-copyright-law/

Every time it comes near the time for Mickey Mouse to loose it's copyright protection the laws are changed.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Very interesting (I think at least) video here

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/technology-44575392/maps-reveal-hidden-truths-of-the-world-s-cities

Shows various numbers super imposed on maps to give a visual representation of statistics. So for example if you believe Europe and the West in general are being overrun by refugees you can look up to see if it's true or if the majority of refugees just go the next safe country.

Where does pollution come from (apparently there are a few gas flares in North Dakota that emit as much CO2 as a billion cars on the road for a year :eek:)

etc. etc.

Website housing the maps and data is here : https://earthtime.org/

think it's a very interesting project and clearly huge amounts of work have gone into it.

(turns out that sea levels rising due to 2 degrees global warming hardly impacts Ireland)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Leaks and other unplaned methane emissions by the US fossil fuel industry contribute the same climate impact as the CO2 from all of the US coal fired plants.

Leaks and other unplaned methane emissions by the US fossil fuel industry contribute the same climate impact as the CO2 from all of the US coal fired plants.

fucksake, and we're supposed to all be driving electric cars to save the planet.... :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

wexie wrote: »
    fucksake, and we're supposed to all be driving electric cars to save the planet.... :confused:
    Electric cars are a minuscule sideshow that only the truly gullible or misinformed or daft believe will make a difference. Never mind that that the manufacturers won't give up their 3-4 year new car cycle that the same leccy car buyers will plug into. Their business model depends on it. The manufacture and shipping of a new car is a large part if its environmental impact. If anything, if they become like other electrical goods, that cycle will increase. hell I know of yards in Dublin filled with old cars that number a fair few Nissan Leafs among them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Electric cars are a minuscule sideshow that only the truly gullible or misinformed or daft believe will make a difference.
    Hybrids are just regenerative breaking.

Some buses had a turbocharger like thing that moved nitrogen between two large cylinders. The gas compressed when you hit the brakes could be released to help you accelerate away from a stop.

Hybrid electric cars are more or less the same , except batteries are smaller than compressed air tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

So for example if you believe Europe and the West in general are being overrun by refugees you can look up to see if it's true or if the majority of refugees just go the next safe country.

Just because most refugees go to neighbouring countries doesn't mean that the west isn't being overrun. Most migrants to the west are NOT refugees or even asylum seekers (who are obliged to claim asylum in the NEAREST safe country, not half -ay across the world), but are in face economic migrants, mainly young men.

If you think they are mainly refugees might I suggest that you house some of these young men in your own house personally, as good old Bob Geldof has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭con___manx1

The inventor of nutella pietro ferrero used hazel nuts to make the coco beans go further as coco beans were in short supply during world war 2 . The ferrero company which also make ferrero roche consumes 25% of the worlds hazel nut supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,851 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

kuntboy wrote: »
    So for example if you believe Europe and the West in general are being overrun by refugees you can look up to see if it's true or if the majority of refugees just go the next safe country.

Just because most refugees go to neighbouring countries doesn't mean that the west isn't being overrun. Most migrants to the west are NOT refugees or even asylum seekers (who are obliged to claim asylum in the NEAREST safe country, not half -ay across the world), but are in face economic migrants, mainly young men.

If you think they are mainly refugees might I suggest that you house some of these young men in your own house personally, as good old Bob Geldof has done.
    Oh good, another thread being converted into an immigrant bashing thread. Thanks for your contribution...kuntboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,902 ✭✭✭✭JRant

You know that delicious cashew nuts that everyone seems to love. Well it comes at a very high price.

https://nutgourmet.wordpress.com/2017/09/07/the-magnificent-cashew-mysterious-dangerous/

Caustic burns to the poor who harvest and sometimes even death from the fumes released while roasting. Nasty little nut all things considered.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

Oh good, another thread being converted into an immigrant bashing thread. Thanks for your contribution...kuntboy.

Lol @ "bashing". Thanks for mentioning my name at the end of your post, though that might be considered an attempt at an adhominem attack/insult by some. Might I suggest you also take some into your own house as you care so much and are such a good person. Also I am extremely impressed by your vast knowledge of the bas5tardised dead language that is modern Irish in your username. Very impressive.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Electric cars are a minuscule sideshow that only the truly gullible or misinformed or daft believe will make a difference. Never mind that that the manufacturers won't give up their 3-4 year new car cycle that the same leccy car buyers will plug into. Their business model depends on it. The manufacture and shipping of a new car is a large part if its environmental impact. If anything, if they become like other electrical goods, that cycle will increase. hell I know of yards in Dublin filled with old cars that number a fair few Nissan Leafs among them.

It's not just the electric cars though, it's the whole hypocrisy surrounding global warming/environmental issues. It seems like everything is being laid at the consumers feet. And yes the consumer can make a difference and even if it's only a small difference it's still a good idea. Even if you don't believe in using LED lightbulbs because they are more environmentally friendly then do it because it saves money.

But when you're being pushed to recycle everything and then read articles about how huge amounts of stuff (plastic) we recycle is going to end up in a landfill anyways because China has decided to no longer take in plastics and there are no other places that have the capacity to start recycling plastics.....why not? Why are our governments not investing in that?

When's the last time you heard any issues being made over the HUUUUGE coal seam fires in many places in the world pumping out god knows what and that have been burning for years, sometimes decades (I'm looking specifically at you China and the US)? And yes it would be hard and expensive to put them out....

but if combatting global warming is the end goal it would seem to make an awful lot more sense to start with the big ones rather than to persuade Joe Blogs he needs to eat less steak cause cowfarts and he should't drive his aul daysul (that is already fully depreciated and won't cause as much pollution over the rest of his life than the production of a single new EV)

:mad::mad:

/rant

(yes I have issues with hypocrisy and no I'm not sorry)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Lol @ "bashing". Thanks for mentioning my name at the end of your post, though that might be considered an attempt at an adhominem attack/insult by some. Might I suggest you also take some into your own house as you care so much and are such a good person. Also I am extremely impressed by your vast knowledge of the bas5tardised dead language that is modern Irish in your username. Very impressive.

Can you spot the irony in these two phrases?

Even more ironic is your own use of a "bas5tardised dead language". 'Ad hominem' is two words, not one. I bet you didn't know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,995 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

wexie wrote:
    It's not just the electric cars though, it's the whole hypocrisy surrounding global warming/environmental issues. It seems like everything is being laid at the consumers feet. And yes the consumer can make a difference and even if it's only a small difference it's still a good idea. Even if you don't believe in using LED lightbulbs because they are more environmentally friendly then do it because it saves money.

I'd blame that more so on libertarian movements than anything, free will, me arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Mod: Don't post in this thread again, the best thread on boards can do without this shite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Clarke Gable played Charles Stewart Parnell in a stinker of a movie just 2 years before Gone with the Wind.
    Clark Gable’s portrayal of Parnell in this 1937 melodrama was released at a time when his stock in Hollywood couldn’t be higher. He’d won an Oscar for best actor in 1934 for the film It Happened One Night, and regularly featured in big-budget films.

Parnell, however, would go on to be listed among one of the 50 worst films of all time.

The film – with Gable choosing not to grow a beard or even adopt a passable Irish accent – centres on Parnell’s ill-fated relationship with Kitty O’Shea which would bring about his downfall.

Starring opposite a leading female actress of the time, Myrna Loy, she would later go on to say that “disgruntled fans wrote to the studio by the thousands”.

After the movie flopped at the box-office, Clark Gable told MGM not to bother casting him in any more "period" pieces, preferring to play only in contemporary movies. This was part of the reason Gable was reluctant to accept the role of Rhett Butler in Gone with the Wind (1939).

MV5BMDkzZTBjMDItYjMxYy00Nzg0LWEyZjAtZWU3NTMwNGIzMmU3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTIxOTk5MzY@._V1_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭Kat1170

py2006 wrote: »
    The film – with Gable choosing not to grow a beard or even adopt a passable Irish accent – centres on Parnell’s ill-fated relationship with Kitty O’Shea which would bring about his downfall.

Well we all know the only actor who gets away with never changing his accent is Sean Connery :D:D Russian Submarine captain with a broad Scottish accent anyone ?? :D:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Russian Submarine captain with a broad Scottish accent anyone ?? :D:D

In fairness though, I love the way the movie transitions them from speaking Russian to English with teh zoom in/out as the political officer (Putin) reads a passage from a book, which contains a quote from Robert Oppenheimer. The switch occurs on the word "Armageddon", which is the same in both languages, but pronounced differently.

Prior to making the movie, Connery spent time underway aboard the U.S.S. Puffer (SSN 652) preparing for his role. He was given Commander status, and allowed to give commands while underway (with the Captain beside him).

After the release of Tom Clancy's novel 'Red October', some members of Congress contacted the CIA, demanding to know why the Russians had invented a caterpillar drive, before the U.S. Navy did. Although a result of good research, the caterpillar drive is pure fiction.

After the release of Tom Clancy's novel 'Red October', some members of Congress contacted the CIA, demanding to know why the Russians had invented a caterpillar drive, before the U.S. Navy did. Although a result of good research, the caterpillar drive is pure fiction.
    Except it's not fiction.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1992/06/22/japanese-ships-magnetic-attraction/ca7c4ba0-9c5e-4e3c-a083-4cd0ca48c0ac/?utm_term=.a44dbce2959a

It's not just the electric cars though, it's the whole hypocrisy surrounding global warming/environmental issue

:mad::mad:

/rant

(yes I have issues with hypocrisy and no I'm not sorry)
    In a word - Greenwashing.

Apparently not the only time he caused a bit of controversy. Story goes that there were a lot of people nervous when Red Storm Rising was released as his scenario's were so realistic they wanted to know where he got his information.

Apparerently Ronald Reagan advised Maggy Thatcher to read it to gain a better understanding of Russian strategy :eek:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Storm_Rising#Legacy
    https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/was-reagan-influenced-by-reading-tom-clancys-red-storm-rising.html

Apparently not the only time he caused a bit of controversy.
    He had one with a plane flying into a building too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

On average, 12 newborns will be given to the wrong parents daily.

Minerva Mouse is the full name of Minnie Mouse.

220px-Minnie_Mouse.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Only 4.4 percent of the world's population (includes Irish people) lives in a full democracy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement