Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City Launch Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

errlloyd wrote: »
    Whats causing this extra demand? Is it decreased frequency due to the same amount of trams serving a longer distance, or is it increased demand because the Luas services more areas?

It is the irregular service pattern caused by running through congested city streets.

A tram coming after three minutes will be lightly loaded, one after fifteen minutes will be overloaded, and unable to permit passengers boarding in a reasonable time, thus exacerbating the delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭markpb

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the system is always in chaos, its also rubbish!

I couldn't agree with the word: always. I commuted on the green line from St. Stephens Green to Sandyford for 4.5 years and in all that time, I was inconvenienced exactly three times. Two were technical problems and the third was a very unlucky fox. Every other trip was on time. The real time displays worked. The drivers were courteous if there was a delay. It's exactly what I wanted. I'm hopeful that the current problems will be resolved and it will go back to that level of service again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

tabbey wrote: »
    It is the irregular service pattern caused by running through congested city streets.

A tram coming after three minutes will be lightly loaded, one after fifteen minutes will be overloaded, and unable to permit passengers boarding in a reasonable time, thus exacerbating the delay.

Yeah, delays lead to delays in a non linear way. I get that, but I also don't quite understand why there is such a problem on Northbound trams at Sandyford and places.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

markpb wrote: »
    I couldn't agree with the word: always. I commuted on the green line from St. Stephens Green to Sandyford for 4.5 years and in all that time, I was inconvenienced exactly three times. Two were technical problems and the third was a very unlucky fox. Every other trip was on time. The real time displays worked. The drivers were courteous if there was a delay. It's exactly what I wanted. I'm hopeful that the current problems will be resolved and it will go back to that level of service again.

This is very much the nub of the issue...how,after 7 years of planning,construction and the spending of c.€ 500,000,000,both Bus & Tram systems in the City Centre area have now substantially DISimproved.

It is far from nitpicking,for those who have been regular customers of both services to enquire as to where the responsbility lies and whether any of those responsible have been sanctioned or disciplined.

Allowing those responsible for this situation to simply walk away,shrugging their shoulders,will encourage more of this nonsense.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Substantially disimproved for buses too. So I'm not happy either.

But I live in hope, and surely it will have to improve soon.

Some things need time to bed down. Not pleasant for anyone. But it cannot go on like this for much longer can it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Substantially disimproved for buses too. So I'm not happy either.

But I live in hope, and surely it will have to improve soon.

Some things need time to bed down. Not pleasant for anyone. But it cannot go on like this for much longer can it.
    There is nothing no the horizon that will fix this. Buses will be rerouted down streets that don't have the capacity and will see journey times increase, and extra LUAS will be run through the city centre. Politicians seem unwilling to take on the taxi lobby, and they are afraid of being sued by a small number of carpark owners.

Unless they are willing to do something about the carpark owners, and the taxis, there is nothing on the horizon which will fix this, other than perhaps a metro in 20 years. The city is now choked - we already see businesses leaving the UK due to Brexit deciding against Dublin because of transport & housing issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I saw tram number 3006 at Harcourt there a minute ago. I thought the 30XX trams were all red line? Have some been moved to the green line to increase capacity?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

errlloyd wrote: »
    I saw tram number 3006 at Harcourt there a minute ago. I thought the 30XX trams were all red line? Have some been moved to the green line to increase capacity?

They is a few on the Green for a few more months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Seems like cross city tram frequency has slightly increased in the last week or so, trams from Broombridge seem to be every 10 or 11 mins instead of 15, anyone else notice? In the morning I should add.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Seems like cross city tram frequency has slightly increased in the last week or so, trams from Broombridge seem to be every 10 or 11 mins instead of 15, anyone else notice? In the morning I should add.

I've noticed that the buses seem slower going through College Green this week, so perhaps it has had a knock on effect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,326 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I've noticed that the buses seem slower going through College Green this week, so perhaps it has had a knock on effect?

That explains it then, much slower. Back to 10 mins waiting on the College Green to go round the corner

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

could they not do what many of what you proposed? turn back at SSG and just use shorter trams that actually cross the city?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Idbatterim wrote: »
    could they not do what many of what you proposed? turn back at SSG and just use shorter trams that actually cross the city?
    Because, quite frankly, that's retarded.

People already have to get off the tram to switch between the two lines as well as those on a Parnell bound tram wanting to get to Broombridge. Forcing EVERYONE off a long tram at SSG and onto smaller tram just to cross the CC? How would that work at peak times?

fritzelly wrote: »
    That explains it then, much slower. Back to 10 mins waiting on the College Green to go round the corner

Overall freq has not adjusted much but number of trams only up slightly. As I posted earlier, they have reversed all traffic lights changes and even trams are taking longer than they were a few weels ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Overall freq has not adjusted much but number of trams only up slightly. As I posted earlier, they have reversed all traffic lights changes and even trams are taking longer than they were a few weels ago.

Suits me anyway, one that used to go at around 8.04am is now going at 8am

• Registered Users Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭cgcsb

How many years overdue is the DCC traffic management plan at this stage? We were supposed to have a car free college green and car free quays long before LCC was completed, no?

Also is there any observance at all of the taxi ban? I often see regular cars going through college green in the morning rush and all. Not a drop of enforcement to be had.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Also is there any observance at all of the taxi ban? I often see regular cars going through college green in the morning rush and all. Not a drop of enforcement to be had.

Only when there is a garda there, else it's a free for all

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Pelvis wrote: »
    Because, quite frankly, that's retarded.

People already have to get off the tram to switch between the two lines as well as those on a Parnell bound tram wanting to get to Broombridge. Forcing EVERYONE off a long tram at SSG and onto smaller tram just to cross the CC? How would that work at peak times?

they would just wait for a shorter tram, they wouldnt have to change...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Yup. My bus has been a mare all week going down the quays and across.

Only just getting used to having primary schools off, delighted with my commute and then this.

The city is fupped.

Yup. My bus has been a mare all week going down the quays and across.
    Only just getting used to having primary schools off, delighted with my commute and then this.
    The city is fupped.

The City is'nt fcukkd at all...however,it's administrative arrangements are in the firm grasp of a coterie of Total Incompetents.

Not a single one of this crew has managed to proactively assist a single Public Transport user since BXD commenced.

They continue to flounder around,emmiting the occasional hiss and burp,whilst ensuring that NO operational issue is actually addressed,except perhaps the excruciating one of what to do with the Large Gantry Pole at the Grafton St/Suffolk St junction...y'know...the one where the floppy poles require replacing every day..... :rolleyes:

As for the Bus Service,it appears that "officially" everything is just grand...with only a few moany Busdrivers and Passengers disturbing the serene calm.
    ALL Traffic,other than Bus & Tram needs to be prohibited 24/7 from the College Green Southbound axis.
    This Ban requires constant automated electronic enforcement,with a €250 "fee" payable by those wishing to ignore it..forget about Gardai,as this entity has long since left the field of Traffic Law enforcement in the City Centre.

The numbers of empty Taxi's now queuing,simply cannot be accomodated,IF one wishes to operate Bus & Tram effectively.
    There is no problem having these Taxi's,just as Long as the Totally Incompetent Administrators are prepared to openly accept that Bus & Tram will have NO priority along the sector...That is all that is required...Honesty & Clarity.

It is highly likely that none of the current group of administrators understand those terms,let alone be prepared to publicly support them.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Advertisement

Suits me anyway, one that used to go at around 8.04am is now going at 8am

Yeah revised schedule started in June with all the long trams terminating at Parnell for the most part and operating to Brides Glen. Its much better now but I really can't understand why they have reversed traffic signals.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

College Green is a bit of a disaster for bus passengers this morning. It took my bus 15 mins to clear it. Disappointing considering things were relatively speedy in recent weeks.

College Green is a bit of a disaster for bus passengers this morning. It took my bus 15 mins to clear it. Disappointing considering things were relatively speedy in recent weeks.

Interesting observation,because there was a VERY disgruntled looking Garda posted at the old Toilet,who was patiently attempting to explain the BIG Electronic Signs,to a succession of Taxidrivers,many of whom appeared to have only arrived in the city this morning.

The entire explaining process simply causes even more disruption...when the easy answer is simply,note the Roof Sign Number and send them a €200 Bill for Lack of Observation.

I feel your pain Sierra Oscar.....:(

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Interesting observation,because there was a VERY disgruntled looking Garda posted at the old Toilet,who was patiently attempting to explain the BIG Electronic Signs,to a succession of Taxidrivers,many of whom appeared to have only arrived in the city this morning.

The entire explaining process simply causes even more disruption...when the easy answer is simply,note the Roof Sign Number and send them a €200 Bill for Lack of Observation.

Better yet have the Garda the other side of the junction and fine them as they come thru - that'll stop em short thrift

AlekSmart wrote: »

It's a bit of a joke at this stage considering there is a Garda posted there most mornings in recent months.

They should be fined. There is no excuse for any taxi driver not knowing that the restrictions are in place.

Plenty of taxi drivers seem to be just chancing it hoping that a Garda won't be posted there with full knowledge that they will just be waved away if there is.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Automated ticketing cameras are the only solution to "ah, I didn't know Garda, sure it will be fine" culture.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

bk wrote: »
    Automated ticketing cameras are the only solution to "ah, I didn't know Garda, sure it will be fine" culture.

The Garda response to that should be - "That's Ok then, there will be a fine so! - expect it in the post."

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The Garda response to that should be - "That's Ok then, there will be a fine so! - expect it in the post."

I agree, but we all know that isn't how it works in Ireland, that is why we need cameras and automated systems.

Plus even if the Garda was doing that, it is sort of a waste of Garda resources, doing a job a camera could be doing!

bk wrote: »
    I agree, but we all know that isn't how it works in Ireland, that is why we need cameras and automated systems.

Plus even if the Garda was doing that, it is sort of a waste of Garda resources, doing a job a camera could be doing!

100% Agree.

Remove the actual ban,and replace it with a graduated charge..Buses,Trams and Motorcycles Free. Private Cars-€100 Taxis-€250 + 2 Penalty Points.

Problem Solved. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

Unfortunately in Ireland traffic enforcement cameras are completely controlled and constructed by the gardai. The DCC told me it wasn't under there remit to facilitate, plan, construct or control them and it would fully have to come from the gardai. With the state of the guards I think we'll be waiting a while before we see any actual technological enforcement for bus lanes or luas junctions.

Advertisement