Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.

So who's going to see the Pope?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

seamus wrote: »
    Probably because the Pope is busy that weekend?

Your inability to understand what the actual issue is, is pretty clear.

Nobody is protesting against, or targeting, Catholics. And you can all claim that all you like, but it's untrue.

The protest is targeted specifically against the organisation which is headed up by the Pope.
    Thats it in a nutshell.
    I think a lot of the people getting butthurt about this are also still reeling from their defeat in the referendum and looking for someone to lash out at.

There's no rational reason to be so put out at a legitimate peaceful protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I won’t be going, I have no interest. I’m of the view that if you want to go, then go. If you don’t, dont.
    But I do think it’s hugely disrespectful that Pope Francis will be in Knock, a mere forty minute drive from the Tuam babies burial site, and yet won’t make it his business to attend the grounds were hundreds of babies bodies were stuffed into a septic tank, all done and covered up by the CC. So, instead of playing make believe and visiting a site where an imaginary lady may or may not have appeared; why doesn’t he visit the site where tragedy upon tragedy actually happened? Why doesn’t he bless the soil where little lives were lost and little bodies disrespected so disgracefully, all because they were entrusted into the care of the church. But of course he won’t. Because that would mean actually acknowledging that it happened. And in true form, we can’t be having that. So more of the same, and more brushing of it under the carpet and pretend we’re pillars of sanctity and all that is good. When in all actuality it’s clear he does not give a fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

You're as brainwashed in your viewpoint as the most eccentric religious.

How am I brainwashed whatsoever? By whom or what? I don't subscribe to any religion so who is brainwashing me? Also, I didn't book any tickets to see the Pope as I'll be in Sin City at the time somewhat ironically.

You've just pointed out that you are no better than the worst elements in the church.

The worst elements of the church raped kids. I didn't.

pone2012 wrote: »
    Nobody made you an imbecile... If you are one you have chosen that path.... although you do display it consistently in your posts

You believe in some f*cker in the sky who'll let you in to his secret club after you die, if you play by his rules. The same fella who made gay people gay and then decided being gay was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Omackeral wrote: »
    You believe in some f*cker in the sky who'll let you in to his secret club after you die, if you play by his rules. The same fella who made gay people gay and then decided being gay was wrong.

Ah but you forget they believe gay people choose to be gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Benjamin Buttons

I won’t be going, I have no interest. I’m of the view that if you want to go, then go. If you don’t, dont.
    But I do think it’s hugely disrespectful that Pope Francis will be in Knock, a mere forty minute drive from the Tuam babies burial site, and yet won’t make it his business to attend the grounds were hundreds of babies bodies were stuffed into a septic tank, all done and covered up by the CC. So, instead of playing make believe and visiting a site where an imaginary lady may or may not have appeared; why doesn’t he visit the site where tragedy upon tragedy actually happened? Why doesn’t he bless the soil where little lives were lost and little bodies disrespected so disgracefully, all because they were entrusted into the care of the church. But of course he won’t. Because that would mean actually acknowledging that it happened. And in true form, we can’t be having that. So more of the same, and more brushing of it under the carpet and pretend we’re pillars of sanctity and all that is good. When in all actuality it’s clear he does not give a fcuk.
    As well as the appearance of:
    St. Joseph, St. John the Evangelist, and Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭BliainanAir

seamus wrote: »
    Probably because the Pope is busy that weekend?

Your inability to understand what the actual issue is, is pretty clear.

Nobody is protesting against, or targeting, Catholics. And you can all claim that all you like, but it's untrue.

The protest is targeted specifically against the organisation which is headed up by the Pope.

We'll it's the prettiest way possible of protesting. Cowardly. Can't you lot go in person and protest? You, ticket booking heroes, come across as spineless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭BliainanAir

The worst elements of the church raped kids. I didn't.

Your intoerance I'm talking about Omackeral.

What intolerance? Specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Would you have the same sneering vitriol for the Dali Lama if he visited.

Seeing as how he is the reincarnation of the previous Dali Lama

Or the same vitriol for Jews if a high-ranking Rabbi visiting these shores? Or for Muslims if a famous Imam came?

Your attitude is extremely childish.

Why are you assuming that the only people who think it's sad cuntish behaviour are religious fanatics or even practicing Catholics?

If Tom Cruise comes and invites all the Scientologists to a party in the Wicklow mountains, less of a shite could I not give. Let people do what they want.

Or the same vitriol for Jews if a high-ranking Rabbi visiting these shores? Or for Muslims if a famous Imam came?

Why are you assuming that the only people who think it's sad cuntish behaviour are religious fanatics or even practicing Catholics?

If Tom Cruise comes and invites all the Scientologists to a party in the Wicklow mountains, less of a shite could I not give. Let people do what they want. Stop acting like an intolerant cunt

First of all, why are you putting those chasms between your questions? Secondly, it's not vitriol. I simply believe all religions are absolute tosh. All of them. Lastly, I'm not stopping anyone doing what they want. I wouldn't book a ticket to stop anyone doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Why are you assuming that the only people who think it's sad c[/size=2]u[/size]ntish behaviour are religious fanatics or even practicing Catholics?

If Tom Cruise comes and invites all the Scientologists to a party in the Wicklow mountains, less of a shite could I not give. Let people do what they want. Stop acting like an intolerant cunt

There is a bit of a difference though in that most people in this country were indoctrinated into the RCC before they could comfortably burp by themselves and were educated through the RCC lens - taught myths as facts and discouraged from questioning. It stands to reason that people have more vitriol for the organisation that has had a serious grip on this country and its institutions and managed to seep into every aspect of our lives, wanted or not. Of course Irish people aren't going to feel as strongly about other religions - other religions weren't advising us to lock up our daughters in slave like conditions & habitually abusing our children.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Your understanding of theology and religion is fantastic , for an 8 year old.

Why don't you break it down for me in a remedial sense so? Why did god make people gay and then say being gay is wrong and immoral. Go on, can you answer that?

First of all, why are you putting those chasms between your questions? Secondly, it's not vitriol. I simply believe all religions are absolute tosh. All of them. Lastly, I'm not stopping anyone doing what they want. I wouldn't book a ticket to stop anyone doing anything.

Grand. Why the sneering attitude? Is that to make yourself seem superior somehow? You should try to do something in your own life rather than depend on sneering at others for your only source of saisfaction

You know that Muslims and Jews have the same "sky fairy". But you dodged the question. Would you be as incensed if one of their top people was visiting and the only thing you knew about that person was that they were high up or held in high regard by that religion? Would you? Would you fuck

I don't give a fuck whether someone wants to join the GAA, the Scouts, the Catholic Church, Scientologists, Sinn Fein, whatever.

Do what you want. As long as you are harming no-one else.

eh eh eh yeah but but but Tuam babies, magdelene laundries, creationism, miracles blah blah. Would you ever get a grip?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Why don't you break it down for me in a remedial sense so? Why did god make people gay and then say being gay is wrong and immoral. Go on, can you answer that?

"mysterious ways"

eh eh eh yeah but but but Tuam babies, magdelene laundries, creationism, miracles blah blah. Would you ever get a grip?[/QUOTE]

Great for you if these things don't piss you off but they do hurt & anger a lot of people.

optogirl wrote: »
    There is a bit of a difference though in that most people in this country were indoctrinated into the RCC before they could comfortably burp by themselves and were educated through the RCC lens - taught myths as facts and discouraged from questioning. It stands to reason that people have more vitriol for the organisation that has had a serious grip on this country and its institutions and managed to seep into every aspect of our lives, wanted or not. Of course Irish people aren't going to feel as strongly about other religions - other religions weren't advising us to lock up our daughters in slave like conditions & habitually abusing our children.

Hysterical much?

Luckily a small cadre of heroes were able to break off these shackles.

Tell us how you guys all did it? Lets make a film about it.

If your parents sent you to a stupid school then blame your parents or the stupid teachers. If you were still conforming to everything that you were told at 17 or 18 then there is an issue with yourself and you are in the minority as most people have a sense of themselves and making their own decisions by then. And if someone only gets 50 points in their leaving, they can't really blame the Pope.

That's all it boils down to - people wanting to blame their own failings on something. Lets blame the Church. Wonder what the next generation of thickos will have in lieu?

Grand. Why the sneering attitude? Is that to make yourself seem superior somehow? You should try to do something in your own life rather than depend on sneering at others for your only source of saisfaction

I've plenty of satisfaction in my own life. Going to Vegas in a few weeks :)

You know that Muslims and Jews have the same "sky fairy". But you dodged the question. Would you be as incensed if one of their top people was visiting and the only thing you knew about that person was that they were high up or held in high regard by that religion? Would you? Would you fuck

Well I'm not incensed by Pope Francis coming here either, never said I was. You're barking up the wrong burning bush there Donny. As I've said, I think all religion is gick though.

I don't give a fuck whether someone wants to join the GAA, the Scouts, the Catholic Church, Scientologists, Sinn Fein, whatever.

Same. Literally I've said this. I wouldn't try to stop anyone going to see the Pope. I think that's stupid.
    eh eh eh yeah but but but Tuam babies, magdelene laundries, creationism, miracles blah blah. Would you ever get a grip?

Not that I've mentioned the above (except miracles) but Tuam babies and Magdalene laundries getting swept under the rug like that with blah blah blah is probably par for the course.

Great for you if these things don't piss you off but they do hurt & anger a lot of people.

Nah you're just being an intolerant sneering cunt if you've any objections or dissentry. Or at least that's what I was called.

eh eh eh yeah but but but Tuam babies, magdelene laundries, creationism, miracles blah blah. Would you ever get a grip?[/QUOTE]

If you don't believe in God/heaven/whatever, why would it make a difference whether an unwanted dead body was put in the ground or fucked unceremoniously into a septic tank?

Surely it's just a piece of decaying flesh at that point?

For the record, I think it was a terrible thing that was done. But it was done by a specific number of people. You can't take a few billion people to task for their actions.

Hysterical much?

Luckily a small cadre of heroes were able to break off these shackles.

Tell us how you guys all did it? Lets make a film about it.

If your parents sent you to a stupid school then blame your parents or the stupid teachers. If you were still conforming to everything that you were told at 17 or 18 then there is an issue with yourself and you are in the minority as most people have a sense of themselves and making their own decisions by then. And if someone only gets 50 points in their leaving, they can't really blame the Pope.

That's all it boils down to - people wanting to blame their own failings on something. Lets blame the Church. Wonder what the next generation of thickos will have in lieu?

You have made some impressive leaps there - incredible projection on your part to keep accusing others of sneering.

We'll it's the prettiest way possible of protesting. Cowardly. Can't you lot go in person and protest? You, ticket booking heroes, come across as spineless.
    Somehow I don't think your opinion of their protest is of any relevance to them. You don't get to decide what does and doesn't constitute a protest.

The only thing that matters is symbolism and impact.

If you don't believe in God/heaven/whatever, why would it make a difference whether an unwanted dead body was put in the ground or fucked unceremoniously into a septic tank?

Surely it's just a piece of decaying flesh at that point?

For the record, I think it was a terrible thing that was done. But it was done by a specific number of people. You can't take a few billion people to task for their actions.

What are you on about? Who is taking a few billion people to task for anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

valoren wrote: »
    If not then it's just a money maker. I'd be wondering where the money flows from these tours.

Ask any band, the place where the money is made is the merch stall...

No doubt if the Dali Lama (or however you spell it) came the athiests would be flocking in their droves to visit that head of Church.

Eh, No. No they wouldn't.

Where do people get stupid ideas like this from? The one that atheists never criticise islam is a load of cobblers, too.

As a Catholic, I would like to go but I'm not in country at the time.

#hometopope ?

pg633 wrote: »
    I'm curious if people would feel the same if it was a Trump rally here.

Would people object if protesters were block booking free seats to make the rally look empty?

People did exactly that for the Jawn Waters/Nigel Farage wankfest in the RDS a while back. They didn't get the vitriol and abuse the "christians" are dishing out here.

not only that but with only two of every animal does that not mean that every animal since then is the result of incest?

According to the Bumper Book of Adult Fairy Tales, the entire human race was propagated out of incest. Twice.

Life ain't always empty.

You have made some impressive leaps there - incredible projection on your part to keep accusing others of sneering.

Grand.

Assuming that some other poster is religious and then referring to their "sky fairy".

Not sneering?

And how many indoctrinated kids do you see that aren't old enough to burp themselves? And you're blaming the Pope for that? Get a grip

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

According to the Bumper Book of Adult Fairy Tales, the entire human race was propagated out of incest. Twice.

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Grand.

Assuming that some other poster is religious and then referring to their "sky fairy".

Not sneering?

And how many indoctrinated kids do you see that aren't old enough to burp themselves? And you're blaming the Pope for that? Get a grip

My point is that you are also sneering. Sneering at people for having anger towards an institution that has caused serious harm. Just because you are able to ignore instances like Tuam, Magdalene laundries, rape on a massive scale, doesn't mean that you are enlightened and those of us who are still angry are idiots.

ah jaysus - I meant that we are indoctrinated at a couple of months old. I wasn't saying the RCC are responsible for babies not being able to burp :P. Your comprehension level is poor. You might be able to blame an RCC education for that.