Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Purple Sheep

Mark1916 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    quick question, has anyone come across a request by a seller to sign an unconditional contract?
    We're sale agreed and have an offer letter from the Bank but the sellers are also buying a property and have requested that the conditionality around the "loan approval" clause.
    Is this common? I would have thought not.

It was the same for me. So although I had the loan offer, that offer was conditional on getting mortgage protection and the lot so I made sure I had absolutely everything lined up before signing the contract... Really stressful. Solicitor didn't think we could negotiate on the clause in this market.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ag1994

Wondering if anyone on here can give some advice regarding mortgage applications. We applied over 2 weeks ago as first time buyers both employed full time no dependents & saving regularly etc. the bank requested more paperwork from us to back up our application. Is this a good sign ? Does this mean central bank are considering us or is there still a high possibility of being refused ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Ag1994 wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone on here can give some advice regarding mortgage applications. We applied over 2 weeks ago as first time buyers both employed full time no dependents & saving regularly etc. the bank requested more paperwork from us to back up our application. Is this a good sign ? Does this mean central bank are considering us or is there still a high possibility of being refused ?

The central bank won't look at your application - are you looking for an exemption? Hopefully your application will be approved but very hard to tell you.

GingerLily wrote: »
    The central bank won't look at your application - are you looking for an exemption? Hopefully your application will be approved but very hard to tell you.

Thank you for your reply , we haven’t applied for an exemption. we applied through PTSB, I assumed they sent it to central bank but that’s good to hear they don’t. I would hope that if they were going to refuse us they wouldn’t request further documentation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Thank you for your reply , we haven’t applied for an exemption. we applied through PTSB, I assumed they sent it to central bank but that’s good to hear they don’t. I would hope that if they were going to refuse us they wouldn’t request further documentation ?

No the central bank won't receive your individual application and they won't be involved in the direct approval of your loan.

It may be a good sign, you need to wait and see, we don't know what queries the underwriters have over your application.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

The central bank don’t look at any applications, it’s the Banks money to lend! The central bank are the overloards they set the rules e.g. the 10% deposit requirement!

They probably need further information to make an informed decision it’s completely normal to be asked! As long as you’ve no missed payments on any debt repayments or direct debits in the last 6 months you should be fine! I got mine through BOI and they queried some payments out of the account and requested P60s and payslips etc all of which is usually asked for!

The central bank don’t look at any applications, it’s the Banks money to lend! The central bank are the overloards they set the rules e.g. the 10% deposit requirement!

They probably need further information to make an informed decision it’s completely normal to be asked! As long as you’ve no missed payments on any debt repayments or direct debits in the last 6 months you should be fine! I got mine through BOI and they queried some payments out of the account and requested P60s and payslips etc all of which is usually asked for!

Thanks for your reply, that’s great to hear !!
    It was a request for a solicitor letter and Payslip’s from my partner from last year as his p60 didn’t reflect & he’s employed by family. Mainly they wanted his salary cert to be backed up which we provided. Fingers crossed it’s good news, they said tomorow at the latest !!

Thanks for your reply, that’s great to hear !!
    It was a request for a solicitor letter and Payslip’s from my partner from last year as his p60 didn’t reflect & he’s employed by family. Mainly they wanted his salary cert to be backed up which we provided. Fingers crossed it’s good news, they said tomorow at the latest !!

Fingers crossed for you, exciting times!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Just wondering has anyone been in my current situation. We've gone sale agreed on a new build. Have mortgage approval a few months ago, just recently gotten the letter of offer and paid 10%. Mortgage is a 80% LTV and 2.7 times our combined salary.

The build is a good bit off completion probably a good 4-5 months away except one small factor....the missus is now pregnant. My concern is now that on drawdown somewhere along the lines it will occur during her maternity leave and the bank will seek new payslips and turn around and tell us to where to go. Does this happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭wally79

Just wondering has anyone been in my current situation. We've gone sale agreed on a new build. Have mortgage approval a few months ago, just recently gotten the letter of offer and paid 10%. Mortgage is a 80% LTV and 2.7 times our combined salary.

The build is a good bit off completion probably a good 4-5 months away except one small factor....the missus is now pregnant. My concern is now that on drawdown somewhere along the lines it will occur during her maternity leave and the bank will seek new payslips and turn around and tell us to where to go. Does this happen?

We just went through this

We told them she was pregnant and the advisor said if baby was born before we drew down to let them know

We did and it has made no difference in our case but may in others.

We just went sale agreed and the bank wanted 2 extra items

A quote for childcare costs
    A letter from employer showing return to work date

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Glad to hear it (Congrats on the baby)

Can I ask what Bank you dealt with?

Glad to hear it (Congrats on the baby)

Can I ask what Bank you dealt with?

AIB

We decided best thing to do was ask them.

We were worried it would impact but better to know in advance

You aren’t the first or last to be in this situation

While I am here

Any advice on variable v fixed

We are looking at

Variable 3.15%
    Fixed 3yr 3.2%
    Fixed 5yr 3.3%
    Fixed 7yr 3.5%

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

wally79 wrote: »
    While I am here

Any advice on variable v fixed

We are looking at

Variable 3.15%
    Fixed 3yr 3.2%
    Fixed 5yr 3.3%
    Fixed 7yr 3.5%
    Bank of Ireland doing 3% on 3 yr and 5 yr fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

We may potentially go through this so I've looked into it. We already have 2 kids and it does count against you when it comes to a mortgage - they stress test your ability to repay the mortgage with the cost of childcare and taking care of a child in general. If you need to reapply for the mortgage if the build isn't ready before your approval runs out they will ask for bank statements etc again and the baby will be taken into consideration but as the other poster said it's not necessarily a deal breaker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭djan

Does anybody have any experience with applying for a change in interest rate or going to a fixed from a variable?

Issue I have that I have been approved for an exemption but the bank have but in the wrong rate option by accident; 2yr @ 3%. I queried them about changing it to either the 5yr 3% or 10yr 3.3% got passed around as nobody was sure, but then was told that apparently it would need to go through underwriters again and no exemption would be given this time around as they've all been used up.

I understand that things would need to be reapproved for the 10yr option with monthly repayments increase but the 5yr one which stays at current 3% should be fine?

djan wrote: »
    Does anybody have any experience with applying for a change in interest rate or going to a fixed from a variable?

Issue I have that I have been approved for an exemption but the bank have but in the wrong rate option by accident; 2yr @ 3%. I queried them about changing it to either the 5yr 3% or 10yr 3.3% got passed around as nobody was sure, but then was told that apparently it would need to go through underwriters again and no exemption would be given this time around as they've all been used up.

I understand that things would need to be reapproved for the 10yr option with monthly repayments increase but the 5yr one which stays at current 3% should be fine?
    I had the same issue recently in that I wanted to reduce the term from 35 years to 30 years (was approved for 35 years) and it needed to go through the underwriters. I don't know why but that's the way it was and thankfully we did get re-approval.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

We have the option of getting a gift from my folks to go towards purchasing a house, sum is in the region of €25k.

What are the implications for this?

Will we or my parents have any tax liability or face any other penalties or charges or is it simply a case of them doing a bank transfer / writing a cheque and that being that?

We have the option of getting a gift from my folks to go towards purchasing a house, sum is in the region of €25k.

Will we or my parents have any tax liability or face any other penalties or charges or is it simply a case of them doing a bank transfer / writing a cheque and that being that?

You need to get a gift letter filled out and signed by them. Basically says it is a gift and not a loan and they have no stake in the property

There are gift and inheritance laws that I am not qualified enough to explain. My layman understanding is that there is no issue now but may be in future if you receive further gifts/inheritance which bring total received above x amount

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

The bank will look for a gift letter stating they have no interest in the property as part of the application. They may also look for something at contract signing time.

In terms of tax the 25k will come off the 225k that you can inherit from parents tax free. So you won't pay tax now, but it may have an effect down the line.

I had the same issue recently in that I wanted to reduce the term from 35 years to 30 years (was approved for 35 years) and it needed to go through the underwriters. I don't know why but that's the way it was and thankfully we did get re-approval.

I understand the bank checking with the underwriters if monthly repayments are increasing as in your case by shortening the loan period. However, I really fail to see why the bank should re-evaluate when staying on the same interest rate but merely increasing fixation from 2 to 5 years, subsequently increasing the chance of the customer staying with said bank. Seems like a lack of common sense from the them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

cruizer101 wrote: »
    The bank will look for a gift letter stating they have no interest in the property as part of the application. They may also look for something at contract signing time.

In terms of tax the 25k will come off the 225k that you can inherit from parents tax free. So you won't pay tax now, but it may have an effect down the line.

Thanks dudes. No worries about getting a few hundred k down the line so it looks to be fairly straight forward.

cruizer101 wrote: »

Just to note as per the most recent CAT thresholds, the tax free sum is 310,000 EUR, which is expected to be raised to previous values eg. 542,000 EUR in 2009.

More info here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/capital_taxes/capital_acquisitions_tax.html

Thanks all for the advice , we were approved today !!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

levi wrote: »
    Anyone applied to Ulster Bank recently? They don’t seem that efficient in getting things done. We have approval in principle from AIB but UB is offering a better rate. They said it would take 1.5 weeks with the lenders... it’s 2 weeks now but we’re sale agreed so I’m keen to get things moving. It took them ages to get a complete application to the lenders - loads of back and forth. Should I expect more of this if we decide to draw down with them?

Got approval today... patience is a virtue and all that.

Thanks for all the feedback though... you boardsies are great!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭icanmunch

We currently have our deposit saved in multiple places. What way is everyone managing their savings for when it comes closer to paying the deposit? There is a 30 day withdraw condition on our savings account so thats the concern. Thinking of opening a separate current account with the bank we are getting the mortgage from and then we can transfer the cash from there?

• Administrators Posts: 53,483 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

icanmunch wrote: »
    We currently have our deposit saved in multiple places. What way is everyone managing their savings for when it comes closer to paying the deposit? There is a 30 day withdraw condition on our savings account so thats the concern. Thinking of opening a separate current account with the bank we are getting the mortgage from and then we can transfer the cash from there?
    Firstly, you will need access to your full deposit when it comes to signing contracts. You will need access to your booking deposit much sooner than this.

In our case, I opened a normal instant access but low interest savings account and put in enough to cover a booking deposit. The rest I kept in our 7 day savings account.

If you think you are going to buy soon then maybe move from a 30 day account to a 7 day account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi all,

Someone may be able to give a bit of guidance.

We are close to drawdown - snagging is this Thursday, so we envisage that closing will be anything between 4 - 8 weeks after.

Of course, we need to have Home Insurance and Mortgage Protection in place and sent to the bank before drawdown.

Typically, when do people do this? Do they take it out a couple of weeks before they anticipate drawdown? As in, you'd be paying for Home Insurance and Mortgage Protection before you have the keys?

Thanks folks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement