Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Katie1_14

Can anyone recommend a mortgage broker in north Dublin please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 emancip87

Katie1_14 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a mortgage broker in north Dublin please?

How necessary/beneficial it is to even have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Pepper are due to launch fixed rated products next week, so the Sunday Times is reporting. Bearing in mind that a lot of people won't approach them on the assumption that they are priced towards the sub prime or riskier loanee, this will be interesting to see if they be priced as keen as the mainstay lending institutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

On their website they already have fixed rates
    https://www.peppermoney.ie/im-paye-worker/
    3 year fixed 3.35%, 5 year fixed 3.55%
    There by no means the best but they are not too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

Hi

Quick question, we’re sale agreed on a house and have paid a booking deposit. The sale is not due to close until end August. We’re hoping to sign contracts in the next month.

Question is does the full 10% less booking deposit need to be paid then or will the estate agent usually look for say another 10k with the remainder due upon drawdown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Mark1916 wrote: »
    Hi

Quick question, we’re sale agreed on a house and have paid a booking deposit. The sale is not due to close until end August. We’re hoping to sign contracts in the next month.

Question is does the full 10% less booking deposit need to be paid then or will the estate agent usually look for say another 10k with the remainder due upon drawdown?

It's normally in the contract.

10% less booking is the norm

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

And if it’s a new build and you’re eligible for help to buy you can use that as part of the 10% too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

We're sale agreed 2 weeks now.Sellers also sale agreed on their next house.....when might we find out potential closing date?Our solicitor has requested contracts but heard nothing since...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Sarn

toby2111 wrote: »
    We're sale agreed 2 weeks now.Sellers also sale agreed on their next house.....when might we find out potential closing date?Our solicitor has requested contracts but heard nothing since...

Speaking for ourselves, it took just shy of 3.5 months from sale agreed to keys. No chain involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Its going to be a while by the sounds of things ,, are the sellers new house people looking to buy somewhere themselves ,you probably won't even hear that info ,, without wanting to sound pessimistic I'd ask your solicitor to check what your sellers situation is .

• Advertisement

Sellers are sale agreed. Just would like to know what our potential closing date might be.I'll contact our solicitor towards end of next week.

Sellers are sale agreed. Just would like to know what our potential closing date might be.I'll contact our solicitor towards end of next week.

Question is really what are the sellers buying ,, do those people selling to your sellers now need to look for a house or is it an empty house .

We were in a chain but we were the cause of the chain ourselves .

We sold to first time buyers who were eager to get our keys and move in , the house we were buying was an empty house ,, we went sale agreed on the house we were selling on June 12th ,, had an offer accepted on the house we bought on July 11th and collected keys for new house on October 18th ,,

It just seems to be long a drawn out stressful time no matter how easy it looks on paper .

robbie1977 wrote: »
    Question is really what are the sellers buying ,, do those people selling to your sellers now need to look for a house or is it an empty house .
    I think the house they're buying is empty currently.We're not in a major rush,just curious to know roughly when it might close.Hope to get in before October anyhow.

I think the house they're buying is empty currently.We're not in a major rush,just curious to know roughly when it might close.Hope to get in before October anyhow.

Good luck ,, keep on top of your solicitor , they don't seem to do things in a hurry unless you keep chasing them for updates from what l experienced

Yeh, and with different solicitor taking summer holidays at different times, it could be slow it down even more! We'll get there eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Tonight is my first night in my new house! I'm so tired/happy/relieved I could cry.

Moved back to my parents house in March 2016 saved like mad so I had the deposit together by July 2017. Found a house and went sale agreed at the end of January 2018 and contracts were signed at the end of April.

I had to get a plumber in to put in a heating system in and when he pulled up the wood flooring he discovered that underneath was rotten so I had to get it all replaced and wiring had all been damaged so it needed a complete rewire.

But after so many months of stress and more than a few nights of being in tears and thinking it would never happen, I can't quite believe it. I did it all by myself and me and my two dogs are finally in our own little home

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hanaimai

Ah congratulations! Reading stories like yours helps spur me on when the process feels overwhelming and like there's no end in sight. Just shows it'll all be worth it in the end!

hanaimai wrote: »
    Ah congratulations! Reading stories like yours helps spur me on when the process feels overwhelming and like there's no end in sight. Just shows it'll all be worth it in the end!

Yeah, I definitely thought it was never going to happen at times - there were so many houses that I bid on that I was devastated not to get but looking back I'm so glad I didn't get them.

I have to admit my parents were the best and I couldn't have done it without them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    Yeah, I definitely thought it was never going to happen at times - there were so many houses that I bid on that I was devastated not to get but looking back I'm so glad I didn't get them.

I have to admit my parents were the best and I couldn't have done it without them

Congrats.

And sure we all need a bit of help here and there!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

hanaimai wrote: »

It's depressing that owning a roof over your head is such a ballbreaker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Cows that's a lovely story. We've been looking & mortgage approved since end of 2015 and it's been a long road. Looked at tons of houses and eventually ended up going for a new build. We're hoping to snag next week and be in before August. I'm 40 and have rented since I was 17 so it's a major accomplishment to be honest, can't wait to be in.

missmatty wrote: »
    Cows that's a lovely story. We've been looking & mortgage approved since end of 2015 and it's been a long road. Looked at tons of houses and eventually ended up going for a new build. We're hoping to snag next week and be in before August. I'm 40 and have rented since I was 17 so it's a major accomplishment to be honest, can't wait to be in.

Yeah, I was renting from 18 until 28 and I turn 30 later this year. I had considered a new build but I could never have afforded it. I got a little tiny cottage in the middle of nowhere. I'm going to keep saving then in about 5 or so years I will do a complete renovation. But in the meantime it's perfect for what I need

I'm lucky that it actually took so long as it meant I had double the deposit so could afford all the things that went wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

You cottage sounds just perfect. The prices went up so quickly in the last two years that only for the Help-to Buy scheme we wouldn't have been able to afford a new build. Unreal how fast they've gone up. We've only just missed being priced out of the market and we had a decent deposit as well.

missmatty wrote: »
    You cottage sounds just perfect. The prices went up so quickly in the last two years that only for the Help-to Buy scheme we wouldn't have been able to afford a new build. Unreal how fast they've gone up. We've only just missed being priced out of the market and we had a decent deposit as well.

The Rebuilding Ireland Scheme came out just after I went sale agreed and I swear the number of houses in my price range dropped after it came out. Normally there would have been a few a week that were worth considering but after it started, everything jumped out of my price range. I probably would have qualified for that but it would have taken another couple of months. I'm in a reasonably good job, I do reporting and auditing in an insurance broker (I know, I'm one of those evil people) but it's been a hell of a struggle.

Though it did mean that I could get insurance on the house which was over 100 years old and has over 50% non-standard roof (the garage is fecking huge - to be used for training my dogs in winter) so would be an insurance nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murt101

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    Tonight is my first night in my new house! I'm so tired/happy/relieved I could cry.

Congratulations! Massive achievement, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

We're sale agreed on a house just short of three months now. There were some delays on both sides to be fair but we were well guided between the EA and our solicitor.

Anyway, our solicitor received the contracts, wasn't happy with some parts of them, sent them back to the vendor for adjustment and now he has the revised contracts in good order. As of this week he has our loan pack from the lender too.

What happens now? Can anyone give me a rough idea of the process/ timescale from here?

I'm conscious that we still havn't organised mortgage protection cover or home insurance but maybe that's not an issue. Other than that, what's expected of us now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

We're sale agreed on a house just short of three months now. There were some delays on both sides to be fair but we were well guided between the EA and our solicitor.

Anyway, our solicitor received the contracts, wasn't happy with some parts of them, sent them back to the vendor for adjustment and now he has the revised contracts in good order. As of this week he has our loan pack from the lender too.

What happens now? Can anyone give me a rough idea of the process/ timescale from here?

I'm conscious that we still havn't organised mortgage protection cover or home insurance but maybe that's not an issue. Other than that, what's expected of us now?

Go and organise life cover and home insurance, doesn’t take long, then any other conditions that may be attached to your mortgage might need to be satisfied. Did you agree a closing date? The solicitors will do their merry dance for a while. As long as you have your ducks lined up then you should be fine. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You sign the contracts and agree a closing date.
    The bank releases the funds to your solicitor who then sends them to the vendors solicitor. Once the funds are received you get the keys.

NB: Bank will not release funds without home insurance and mortgage protection cover (and proof of same if not taken out via the bank). Get on that ASAP as it will delay you unduly otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

This might seem a basic question at this stage of the process but having trouble finding the answer!

We're at the stage where the solicitor has requested drawdown and we are hoping to get keys next week. Home Insurance is sorted through the bank we are getting the mortgage with, and Mortgage Protection has been sorted for a month or more with Aviva. At the time I was arranging this, the advisor with Aviva told me my part was done and that was it. Just had to provide the start date for cover and that was sorted. But I am wondering how do the bank know we have this in place? Do they ask us for proof of policy or what happens? Can this delay the process?

Thanks for any answers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Sarn

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    This might seem a basic question at this stage of the process but having trouble finding the answer!

We're at the stage where the solicitor has requested drawdown and we are hoping to get keys next week. Home Insurance is sorted through the bank we are getting the mortgage with, and Mortgage Protection has been sorted for a month or more with Aviva. At the time I was arranging this, the advisor with Aviva told me my part was done and that was it. Just had to provide the start date for cover and that was sorted. But I am wondering how do the bank know we have this in place? Do they ask us for proof of policy or what happens? Can this delay the process?

Thanks for any answers!

A condition of our drawdown was that we send the original policy to the bank and sign a declaration form assigning the policy to the bank. If you did it through the bank you’re probably ok.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement