Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to alert driver of presence?

Options
  • 27-06-2018 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

So yesterday on my commute home I had a driver veer into a dedicated cycle lane (solid white line) as I was on their inside. I tapped the rear panel of their car gently with my knuckles as I slowed down and they moved back out of the lane.

As I passed I got a beep of the horn and when stopped at the traffic lights we were approaching the driver got out of the car to confront me and ask me "what the hell I was doing" and to tell me that "there better on be any scratches on his car"

Seems like my actions lit this driver up like a roman candle! https://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/eek.png

So when I got home I started to thing about this a bit more. Although my actions kept me safe (and prevented the driver from having a bigger scrape and a large insurance claim) perhaps I could have handled the situation better. I don't think my actions did me any favours apart from creating another pissed off driver.

So how could I have handled this situation better, just slammed on the brakes and done nothing? How do others alter drivers of their presence!?

(btw when out of the car the driver had the phone in their hand - so I think we all know what was going on, unfortunately I wasn't quick enough to point that out)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

tbh, that's why I got cameras* for the bike. I haven't reported anyone yet, but in my head, if I have an incident like that I'll now be thinking I'll report the untc, or even youtube shame, rather than get involved on the road. I don't think it does much good as red mist is up for everyone, including those in the wrong.

*only seem to have incidents when I go out without them now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

I usually let a good roar out to alert them of my presence! Works well these days with peoples windows open!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I know it is a typo in your thread title, but how to "alter the driver" works as well

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭comanche_cor

joe40 wrote: »
    I know it is a typo in your thread title, but how to "alter the driver" works as well

lol, perhaps that was freudian!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

rob w wrote: »
    I usually let a good roar out to alert them of my presence! Works well these days with peoples windows open!!

This is probably the best idea.
    Hitting someones car, no matter how lightly, is never a good idea.

If a car encroaches into your lane when driving, a blast of the horn is the usual method of warning.
    Perhaps bikes need louder bells?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

http://www.airzound.co.uk/

Mine is currently on a shelf becaue the handlebar fitting it clamps into broke, but it does this job perfectly. Just be wary of frightening pedestrians if you sound it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

One of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hornit-dB140-V2-Worlds-Loudest/dp/B006TDEV20/ref=sr_1_2?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1530088682&sr=1-2&keywords=hornit

I was skeptical at first, but it works a charm. Even well insulated cars can hear it. And that's a good price actually.

I bought mine as every other bell I had ever had broke. And I tried this as an alternative. The first one I had failed in about 4 weeks due to poor solder joints. Their support promptly sent me a new one which has worked for 6 motnhs or more now.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Fian wrote: »

Mine is currently on a shelf becaue the handlebar fitting it clamps into broke, but it does this job perfectly. Just be wary of frightening pedestrians if you sound it.
    One of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hornit-dB140-V2-Worlds-Loudest/dp/B006TDEV20/ref=sr_1_2?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1530088682&sr=1-2&keywords=hornit

I was skeptical at first, but it works a charm. Even well insulated cars can hear it. And that's a good price actually.

I bought mine as every other bell I had ever had broke. And I tried this as an alternative. The first one I had failed in about 4 weeks due to poor solder joints. Their support promptly sent me a new one which has worked for 6 motnhs or more now.

Unfortunately, they're illegal!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

JazzyJ wrote: »

I'll take my chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

I'll take my chances.

Well it is a choice between safety and a 0% chance of being pulled up on it :pac: :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

whiskeyman wrote: »
    i have on (rare) occasion, thumped a car. the sort of situation where etiquette no longer applies and self-preservation kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

So yesterday on my commute home I had a driver veer into a dedicated cycle lane (solid white line) as I was on their inside. I tapped the rear panel of their car gently with my knuckles as I slowed down and they moved back out of the lane.

As I passed I got a beep of the horn and when stopped at the traffic lights we were approaching the driver got out of the car to confront me and ask me "what the hell I was doing" and to tell me that "there better on be any scratches on his car"

What was your answer to the driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So how could I have handled this situation better, just slammed on the brakes and done nothing? How do others alter drivers of their presence!?
    Let out a roar, then give the universal, "WTF are you at, you fncking clown" hand gesture, before a very obvious and condescending head shake, like you're a parent disappointed by their errant child.

The kind of tosser who'd go on the offensive after pulling across you, is never going to listen to reason. So there's no point in being reasonable. Put your own safety first, forget about trying to change the behaviour of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

If they're drifting into your lane, you can either slow down and see what they do (which I generally favour), ring a bell (should you have one), or let out some variety of vocal noise, enough to be heard, but not so loud as to sound aggressive.

If it's an emergency, shout loudly and brake hard. If you're trapped beside them and they're pulling in on top of you, shout, hit the car, do whatever it takes to wake the dozy fool up. But, really, touching cars in any way is a last resort for me, as I've had drivers get homicidally angry twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,299 ✭✭✭✭ted1

JazzyJ wrote: »

One of these:

Under what SI? Sounds odd , same as a car horn

• Registered Users Posts: 23,299 ✭✭✭✭ted1

whiskeyman wrote: »
    i have on (rare) occasion, thumped a car. the sort of situation where etiquette no longer applies and self-preservation kicks in.
    I’ve toe bogged a door while cycling in a bike lane on the N11. That’s how close they got.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

ted1 wrote: »
    Under what SI? Sounds odd , same as a car horn
    See below
    93. (1) Every pedal cycle (other than a cycle constructed or adapted for use as a racing cycle) while used in a public place shall be fitted with an audible warning device consisting of a bell capable of being heard at a reasonable distance, and no other type of audible warning instrument shall be fitted to a pedal cycle while used in a public place.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭comanche_cor

07Lapierre wrote: »
    What was your answer to the driver?

I pointed out that they were squeezing me to the curb. I asked them would they have done the same thing if it was a car on the inside and not a bicycle.

I believe that they were unaware that there was in fact a cycle lane there.

TBH I didn't actually want to engage. All I wanted to do was get home relax enjoy a beer and BBQ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Seems like my actions lit this driver up like a roman candle! https://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/eek.png

So when I got home I started to thing about this a bit more. Although my actions kept me safe (and prevented the driver from having a bigger scrape and a large insurance claim) perhaps I could have handled the situation better. I don't think my actions did me any favours apart from creating another pissed off driver.

(btw when out of the car the driver had the phone in their hand - so I think we all know what was going on, unfortunately I wasn't quick enough to point that out)

I think you handled the situation ok, if I was the driver I would of just put my hand up as a sorry.

It really pisses me off when people behave rudely when they know they are in the wrong, it tells you alot about that person.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

One of these:

Anybody who uses this is at the level of a holigan or thug IMO. I'm saying this as a committed cyclist.

120db and up can cause injury, 130db+ causes damage.

Why the utter fcuk some cyclists seem to believe they are above the law and use these things I don't know. Using those things causes animosity in a wider circle of people, be it road users, pedestrians or residents of an area and just enforces the "Cyclists are tossers" mentality that a lot of us are trying to combat.

Car horns are limited to 110db in the EU, though some older models are at 115db. Try to respect the rules of the road instead of going out antagonising people.

OP: Correct procedure is to try to avoid the accident, so hitting the brakes is a first step, even though you are in the right.
    Second step would be to tap on their window and ask them to take more care. I admit this is difficult when the adrenaline is up, but it's the only correct procedure (and I've been guilty of not adhering to it myself on more than one occasion).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If they are close enough for you to tap their car, they are way too close.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,523 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Amazing how Invisible someone on a bicycle can be to a driver, even in the best of Hi-Vis, yet everyone on a bicycle who may proceed past a red light is visible to every single motorist out there!! :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If a car is close enough for me to touch when being overtaken (except in slow moving traffic/urban traffic) then any driver who takes exception to it can rightly f off.

I slapped a taxi which was within inches of me some years ago. The other lane was empty. They stopped dead up ahead to try and intimidate me, all while they had a passenger in the back. Wasn't sorry I did it, was only sorry that they were so bloody dangerous

Greybottle wrote: »
    Anybody who uses this is at the level of a holigan or thug IMO. I'm saying this as a committed cyclist.

120db and up can cause injury, 130db+ causes damage.

Why the utter fcuk some cyclists seem to believe they are above the law and use these things I don't know. Using those things causes animosity in a wider circle of people, be it road users, pedestrians or residents of an area and just enforces the "Cyclists are tossers" mentality that a lot of us are trying to combat.

Car horns are limited to 110db in the EU, though some older models are at 115db. Try to respect the rules of the road instead of going out antagonising people.

OP: Correct procedure is to try to avoid the accident, so hitting the brakes is a first step, even though you are in the right.
    Second step would be to tap on their window and ask them to take more care. I admit this is difficult when the adrenaline is up, but it's the only correct procedure (and I've been guilty of not adhering to it myself on more than one occasion).

I am not trying to take some sort of holier than thou approach to cycling. It is a response to a very real danger I've faced in many thousands of km cycling in Dublin, both urban and otherwise. It's a horn, it alerts to my presence when activated, and it works well. It won't harm anyone. It is loud to alert people in cars who otherwise won't hear a bell or a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I pointed out that they were squeezing me to the curb. I asked them would they have done the same thing if it was a car on the inside and not a bicycle.

I believe that they were unaware that there was in fact a cycle lane there.

TBH I didn't actually want to engage. All I wanted to do was get home relax enjoy a beer and BBQ :)

Just as well you thumped the side of their car so!

I had a similar experience a few years ago. when the driver asked me why i thumped the side of his car i said "Just wanted to make sure you weren't deaf as well as blind!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

rob w wrote: »

i've seen a lot of drivers with headphones in now - a roar often isn't enough so I use a knuckle duster once I approach town.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I use small erector muscles attached to my hair follicles to extend my hair out so I look twice my size and I emit a loud hiss.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Amazing how Invisible someone on a bicycle can be to a driver, even in the best of Hi-Vis, yet everyone on a bicycle who may proceed past a red light is visible to every single motorist out there!! :eek:

That's because there is a blind spot on cars and other motor vehicles and cyclists usually go through red lights right in front of everyone.

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    i've seen a lot of drivers with headphones in now - a roar often isn't enough so I use a knuckle duster once I approach town.

Apparently the headphones is not against the law, i don't understand why not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

That's because there is a blind spot on cars and other motor vehicles and cyclists usually go through red lights right in front of everyone.

Oh ... here we go again!

Advertisement