Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭Enzokk

More echo chamber stuff coming up. This time the US Embassy is at it by describing the danger the UK is in. I guess they are stuck in the same echo chamber we are in as well.

https://twitter.com/davemacladd/status/1011636382786314240

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

J Mysterio wrote:
    with the Spanish Foreign Minister, Josep Borrell, a former President of the EU Parliament.

A very interesting interview. One thing that is clear and worrying is how little some people understand international trade. Some people in the UK (you also have it with Trump) think that because the UK has a trade surplus with the EU they hold all the cards.

I think it's a huge underlying reason why we are where we are. If you view the Trade surplus as being the only thing that matters it's easy to understand the idea that the EU is just bluffing and will eventually cave in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,507 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Enzokk wrote: »
    More echo chamber stuff coming up. This time the US Embassy is at it by describing the danger the UK is in. I guess they are stuck in the same echo chamber we are in as well.

https://twitter.com/davemacladd/status/1011636382786314240

The other aspect of that video is that the other people in the room are mostly smiling during it. This stuff is well known, apparently everyone else can see the mess that Brexit is except the UK.

There wasn't even any push back against the fall off in the economy, really it was more about that the political outcome of such outcome would be.

Given that the the UK will rely on the US so much after Brexit, to hear them talk in such terms means that they are going to go into any negotiations with the belief that the UK are in a very weak position.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I agree with Nody, there won't be a 'bomb' go off at midnight ...
    11pm UK time , Midnight for the EU.

I don't expect food shortages, certain types yes, but not overall. They will either pay the higher process due to tariffs or they will get a quick trade deal with Russia to take all their cereals etc.
    If you are part of the half that has a good job or pension then some things will be a bit more expensive.

If you are the half that are one pay packet away from majors problems then every little hurts. Look at any news about personal finances since the Brexit vote, it's lower consumer spending and more debt.
    Fifty-six percent said they could cover their living expenses for less than a week if the main source of household income was lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

flutered wrote: »
    they also thought that we would leave the eu to join them in a race to the bottom

the did indeed only to be proven wrong... again!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Havockk

EdgeCase wrote: »
    Just to follow on on my previous post (a few back).

One of the conversations I had over in England really left me wondering about what's going on. I was talking to a guy in his early 20s who told me that he'd never voted in any elections, but had voted for Brexit. Then he assured me that he would never vote in any elections in future either as he felt it was pointless and that Brexit was the only thing that could make a big change.

He told me about how he was struggling to make ends meet because his wages weren't keeping pace with inflation. Then that his parents were in unstable employment and had no prospect of pensions and his grandmother had been "messed around" by the bedroom tax and that the establishment considered him to be a 'chav' and he had no future. He went on to say that things for him were dire and he couldn't see how Brexit could possibly make them any worse.

Few people have looked far enough ahead because everyone is hoping that this crisis will end up in some kind of acceptable fudge. However, I am growing more fearful that a hard crash out is either being planned, or that May can now possibly not avoid losing to that cabal within the cabinet.

Now should that be the case, I would predict now that within 18 months we will see mass violence in the streets of the UK. It is literally impossible for the current UK government to deliver for the kind of person you are talking about here, and it is a problem that is increasing at a daily rate. I would also say that that person is likely synonymous with large swathes of urban uk dwellers. Crap is about to go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

At the end of the day all thats going to happen in 9 months time is that they'll extend it for another 9 months or whatever.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Thargor wrote: »
    At the end of the day all thats going to happen in 9 months time is that they'll extend it for another 9 months or whatever.
    Only if they can get 36 national and regional parliaments to agree.

And the UK isn't winning hearts and minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭trellheim

That is an easy one to misunderstand I think , if you extend it will be a GE immediately in the UK and party unity will win out , and both parties policies is to leave, not leaving when promised will continue a constitutional crisis ( plus it will wreck their NHS budgets )

Also the other 27 will need to be arm wrestled into agreeing an extension

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Britain's CBI and TUC issue a joint statement, calling for urgency in talks, and stressing the need for a Border solution:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jun/26/unions-join-business-leaders-to-demand-urgency-in-brexit-talks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

You can just see that complete lack of democracy that the Brexiteers are always going on about there.

Real democracies ask unelected peers, the assembled bishops of the established church and run their minority government (backed by religious extremists from a conflict zone that they pretend is nothing to do with them) and set policy based on what foreign owned tabloid newspapers tell them to do.

Also: anyone who criticises this will be pilloried as a traitor or worse : an expert!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I’m on the wrong tablets.

I’m hearing weird things. ( from 55 secs onward)

https://www.channel4.com/news/emily-thornberry-mp-boris-johnson-thinks-he-is-unsackable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

What worries me a *lot* is what do people like this guy do when Brexit happens and delivers even more austerity and the Tories' wet dream of funnelling resources into elites?
    They will vote Nazis, National Front. Think 1930s.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,165 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Nitpick: Extending the Art. 50 period doesn't require agreement from national or regional parliaments. Just (!) a unanimous decision of the European Council - i.e. the governments, not the parliaments, of the EU-27.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Totally agree, my point being that Leo would, based on the agreement and pronouncements since, have expected that the trade off for going easy would be that TM and the Uk would work on finding solutions. It must be very difficult to watch as the UK spends all its time fighting itself and blaming others rather than working on the problem at hand and how they can limit the damage to others.
    I don't think Leo imagines that the UK think he "went easy" on them back in December, or since. They think, and he knows that they think, that he screwed them to the wall. They were shocked - shocked, I tell you! - that we demanded that they honour their no-hard-border guarantee, and they were amazed and appalled that the EU backed us.

Varadkar certainly did not, and does not, expect any "trade-off" from the UK for this. On the contrary, he expects resentment.

His strategy is not that the UK will cave because they feel any obligation to be nice to us. Rather, he is banking on them caving because it is the best option available to them, from their own point of view. He - and Enda before him - have tried to ensure than any Brexit with a hard border will be worse for the UK than the Brexit they can achieve by committing to an open border. It's about interests, not gratitude.

Anything is possible, but this strategy may yet pay off. Next week May is having another Cabinet awayday at Chequers to sign off on the Brexit White Paper that the UK is to issue shortly afterwards. There are straws in the wind which suggest that this White Paper may drag the UK further towards the soft Brexit end of the spectrum. In particular:

- Remember May's much-derided announcement of increased spending on the NHS, to be part-funded by the "Brexit dividend"? Some well-placed sources have suggested that this is a bone she threw to the Cabinet Brexiters, some [fake] credit they can take, in return for which she expects them not to impede her softening of Brexit.

- As the result of a late change in plan, the Cabinet awayday includes not just the Brexit Committee of Cabinet, but the whole Cabinet. The date of the awayday was changed to facilitate this. The Cabinet is understood to be a bit more Remainy than the Brexit Committee, so this shifts the balance a bit.
    Also, the awayday has been stretched into an overnighter, which suggests room for much argument, which suggests a significant shift of position may be in the offing.

- The EU has been signalling more loudly and more explicitly than ever that, if May can shift some of her red lines, all kinds of good things become possible. It may be that it has been suggested to them that now would be a really good time to signal this.

OK, there's an element of reading the entrails here. These aren't terribly strong signal on which to predict a softening shift of the UK's position. But don't rule it out either.

joeysoap wrote: »
    I’m on the wrong tablets.

I’m hearing weird things. ( from 55 secs onward)

https://www.channel4.com/news/emily-thornberry-mp-boris-johnson-thinks-he-is-unsackable

This is what frustrates me about Labour. They seem to think they can magic the same solution the Conservatives have been chasing all this time but they will be successful. Now granted they will have an advantage in that as far as I know they have as yet not laid down any red lines. But this could change if Jeremy Corbyn wants his subsidies for he new re-nationalized railways and energy companies. At the moment Labour can sell the Brexit dream to Brexiteers because they are not in charge. The Tories cannot call them out because they would be calling themselves out in that case as well. The result is the same though, either the UK is in or out, there is no magic solution that they all seem to think there is.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Anything is possible, but this strategy may yet pay off. Next week May is having another Cabinet awayday at Chequers to sign off on the Brexit White Paper that the UK is to issue shortly afterwards. There are straws in the wind which suggest that this White Paper may drag the UK further towards the soft Brexit end of the spectrum. In particular:

- Remember May's much-derided announcement of increased spending on the NHS, to be part-funded by the "Brexit dividend"? Some well-placed sources have suggested that this is a bone she threw to the Cabinet Brexiters, some [fake] credit they can take, in return for which she expects them not to impede her softening of Brexit.

- As the result of a late change in plan, the Cabinet awayday includes not just the Brexit Committee of Cabinet, but the whole Cabinet. The date of the awayday was changed to facilitate this. The Cabinet is understood to be a bit more Remainy than the Brexit Committee, so this shifts the balance a bit.
    Also, the awayday has been stretched into an overnighter, which suggests room for much argument, which suggests a significant shift of position may be in the offing.

- The EU has been signalling more loudly and more explicitly than ever that, if May can shift some of her red lines, all kinds of good things become possible. It may be that it has been suggested to them that now would be a really good time to signal this.

OK, there's an element of reading the entrails here. These aren't terribly strong signal on which to predict a softening shift of the UK's position. But don't rule it out either.

We have heard about this before, then May comes out with a position that is decidedly hard Brexit on the back of threats by the likes of Gove, Davis and Johnson. I wonder if it will come down to their threats of resigning and forcing a leadership challenge against her. She probably know she will not win against Johnson or Gove if all Leavers in the party back one candidate and she will not have a majority support among the party membership to defeat either of those.

I think the outcome will be the same as always, she will fudge a deal through that looks and smells like hard Brexit to me to keep herself in No. 10 for another week. This would be the UK is leaving the customs union and single market. As Barnier has explained many times before, this would actually mean only a FTA like Canada and all other things will be off unless there is a specific EU program that allows for third country participation. If Gallileo doesn't allow for this unless you are a EU/EEA member then they will not get access to it. Otherwise other third countries, like any other in the world, can get the same and the EU will not open itself towards that.

We have heard about this before, then May comes out with a position that is decidedly hard Brexit on the back of threats by the likes of Gove, Davis and Johnson . . .
    She has a pattern of spouting hard Brexit positions, but also of caving at the last minute and softening the position to the degree necessary to avert a collapse of the talks and a no-deal Brexit.
    I wonder if it will come down to their threats of resigning and forcing a leadership challenge against her. She probably know she will not win against Johnson or Gove if all Leavers in the party back one candidate and she will not have a majority support among the party membership to defeat either of those.

I think the outcome will be the same as always, she will fudge a deal through that looks and smells like hard Brexit to me to keep herself in No. 10 for another week. This would be the UK is leaving the customs union and single market. As Barnier has explained many times before, this would actually mean only a FTA like Canada and all other things will be off unless there is a specific EU program that allows for third country participation. If Gallileo doesn't allow for this unless you are a EU/EEA member then they will not get access to it. Otherwise other third countries, like any other in the world, can get the same and the EU will not open itself towards that.
    The UK can't get a Brexit deal based on leaving the CU and the SM unless they also agree different treatment/status for NI to keep the border open and, implicitly, some degree of border between NI and GB.

Leaving the CU, leaving the SM and having no customs/regulatory divergence between NI and GB can only be achieved with a crash-out Brexit. Which (among its other disadvantages) also kicks the possibility of even a Canada-style FTA into the middle distance.

She has a pattern of spouting hard Brexit positions, but also of caving at the last minute and softening the position to the degree necessary to avert a collapse of the talks and a no-deal Brexit.

She also has a pattern of hardening her position after speaking to her "partners" in government. So the only thing we know about her is that she doesn't have a firm position of where she stands. This may not be a bad thing as I expect anyone to be able to change their position when they receive evidence to support a different view. But she changes her mind it seems based on who she spoke to, not what facts she received.

The UK can't get a Brexit deal based on leaving the CU and the SM unless they also agree different treatment/status for NI to keep the border open and, implicitly, some degree of border between NI and GB.

Leaving the CU, leaving the SM and having no customs/regulatory divergence between NI and GB can only be achieved with a crash-out Brexit. Which (among its other disadvantages) also kicks the possibility of even a Canada-style FTA into the middle distance.

Agreed, which again gets us back to reality, she is in debt to the DUP who will not accept divergence from the UK for NI. But she wants to leave the CU and SM, which means she goes back on the agreement with the EU to keep the border open. So she needs to stay inside both, but that isn't Brexit so NI needs to have a different status than the UK. But the DUP will not agree to this so...and on and on and on we go.

Now we have the UK finally paying for years of austerity and the need to reverse it. The problem seems to be that the economy is slowly grinding to a halt exactly when you don't need it to. It's a complete mess but it is one she was part of for so long I fail to muster a lot of sympathy for her. She was in cabinet when George Osborne and David Cameron started the austerity drive. She is just as culpable as any of them for the mess they are in now.

She also has a pattern of hardening her position after speaking to her "partners" in government. So the only thing we know about her is that she doesn't have a firm position of where she stands. This may not be a bad thing as I expect anyone to be able to change their position when they receive evidence to support a different view. But she changes her mind it seems based on who she spoke to, not what facts she received.
    A point to grasp here - and I don't think May has fully grasped it - is that what the UK says directly to the EU in the negotiations and related correspondence matters to the EU. They pay limited attention to what UK figures say in speeches for public consumption, in Parliament, in leaks to the press, etc. etc.

May sends conflicting signals - signals different stances at different times, or at the same time, but to different people. (There are domestic political reasons for this, and we know what they are.) The EU pays relatively little attention to this. What really matters is what the EU negotiating team says across the table, or in written negotiations.

And their main complaint has not been that the UK team is blowing hot and cold, saying different things, etc. It's that the UK team is saying very little. Since the joint report in December last, the UK team has really only put one detailed submission on the table, in relation to customs, and even that was incomplete and uncertain. In relation to other matters, the problem is not that the UK keeps changing its position; it's that it still doesn't have any position.
    Agreed, which again gets us back to reality, she is in debt to the DUP who will not accept divergence from the UK for NI. But she wants to leave the CU and SM, which means she goes back on the agreement with the EU to keep the border open. So she needs to stay inside both, but that isn't Brexit so NI needs to have a different status than the UK. But the DUP will not agree to this so...and on and on and on we go.

Now we have the UK finally paying for years of austerity and the need to reverse it. The problem seems to be that the economy is slowly grinding to a halt exactly when you don't need it to. It's a complete mess but it is one she was part of for so long I fail to muster a lot of sympathy for her. She was in cabinet when George Osborne and David Cameron started the austerity drive. She is just as culpable as any of them for the mess they are in now.
    I, too, have no sympathy for her. I get that she is in a difficult position, politically committed by the decisions of her predecessors to a course of action that must harm her country, just at a time when the global environment within which this must be managed is becoming extremely disadvantageous. But she has dealt with that situation as badly as it could possibly be dealt with, missing every opportunity offered to her and squandering the limited advantages she had. She couldn't have made a bigger hames of this if she tried to.

She's in hock to the DUP, as you point out. But the DUP's overriding concern is "no regulatory divergence between NI and GB". Given that, it is madness for her to plump for a hard Brexit, no CU, no SM, no ECJ jurisdiction, since this makes it absolutely impossible to deliver on her open border guarantee without pissing off the DUP. That's the kind of political calculation that a complete novice can spot, but she missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭KingNerolives

Quickly get off this page 666

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,507 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

She is terrible. The way that she has let Boris walk all over her. Does she not think that people don't notice? Her own party, the EU? Of course the EU realise that many of her statements are for domestic consumption but they also she the reality, brought home with devastating effect by the DUP in December, that she has no authority. Nothing she agrees is actually agreed, even the discussions they have are open to whatever interpretation she takes after she has 'consulted' with her cabinet.

The UK needs a leader. It is not her fault that they are in this mess, but she continued failures to lead is causing more and more problems for the UK.

She is being saved by a even more useless opposition leader and by the fact that nobody else in the party wants to take up the challenge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I think there's also an element that is trying to paint May, who was one of the most hard line and right wing Home Secretaries in modern history (Go Home Vans etc etc) as some kind of "damsel in distress".

She's trying to run with fox and the hounds, while her position seems to be more about a hard-line on migration and removing human rights oversight by the ECJ etc at all times.

I see May as one of the biggest "cakists" she’s only softer on economics but pretty hardline on the rest.

Also comparing her with Thatcher (as happens a lot) is ludicrous. She approaches politics more with passive aggression than taking issues on head first.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I think there's also an element that is trying to paint May, who was one of the most hard line and right wing Home Secretaries in modern history (Go Home Vans etc etc) as some kind of "damsel in distress".

She's trying to run with fox and the hounds, while her position seems to be more about a hard-line on migration and removing human rights oversight by the ECJ etc at all times.

I see May as one of the biggest "cakists" she’s only softer on economics but pretty hardline on the rest.

Also comparing her with Thatcher (as happens a lot) is ludicrous. She approaches politics more with passive aggression than taking issues on head first.

Having been an advocate for Remain, she is also a hypocrite who sold her principles to become PM.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Having been an advocate for Remain, she is also a hypocrite who sold her principles to become PM.

I think she has been consistent in her ideology of Remain.

She wanted to Remain Home Secretary so she supported her PM, and she became PM and wants to Remain PM.

She will do whatever keeps her at No 10 for another hour, week , month, etc.

Whatever it takes - that remains her ambition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

But two years on from the referendum vote several DUP figures admit that the process of leaving the EU is more complex than they had reckoned, particularly in Northern Ireland, where the vote has rekindled serious discussion of a united Ireland. The European Commission has made it explicit that Northern Ireland would retain EU membership if it were to secede from the UK and join the Republic.

Shocking I know who would of thought it would be difficult to unpick over 40 years of agreements and untangle such interlinked economies
    “In five or ten years’ time, the negotiations, Brexit, the transition period will have been completed and I think you will see a move away from this zero-sum game because they can’t win that. But I want to see the next two or three years over and done with.”
    5 or 10 years time could be too late if you get a full on economic meltdown coupled with a hard border
    In the last day we have won the referendum, ****ed Cameron, ****ed Corbyn, caused a second referendum in Scotland, caused a discussion of a united Ireland…”, Banks wrote to Farage, who fronted Banks’s Leave.eu campaign
    Unionist loyalty to Britain is so appreciated
    https://medium.com/@marcusleroux/the-dup-didnt-think-brexit-would-be-this-complicated-e0dabc645fa2

Lots more in the article a good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I have zero sympathy for May and hold her in contempt. This is her fault

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

J Mysterio wrote: »

Wish we could thank this 10,000+ times. Imagine if she'd won the parliamentary majority outright in the GE she called last year - it'd be cakism galore. Though, the DUP would be back under their rock, which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Nah its Cameron's, at the end of the day he's the one who gambled a county to try and make the day to day of his job easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

megaten wrote: »
    Nah its Cameron's, at the end of the day he's the one who gambled a county to try and make the day to day of his job easier.

May is the one who decided what the 'mandate' was. She is the one who was leader during the referendum. She is the one who can and has influenced public discourse. She is the leader of the government and the responsibility for how the negotiations are conducted and how Brexit is implemented is hers.

She has allowed her party and its 'personalities' to run wild and unfettered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

May is the one who decided what the 'mandate' was. She is the one who was leader during the referendum. She is the one who can and has influenced public discourse. She is the leader of the government and the responsibility for how the negotiations are conducted and how Brexit is implemented is hers.

She has allowed her party and its 'personalities' to run wild and unfettered.

Only because he gave up the minute he realised he ****ed things up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement