Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So who's going to see the Pope?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Perfectly relaxed. You're talking through your hoop.

International image! Lol! It's the type of BS which has us the lapdog of Europe.

Being socially progressive or conservative matters very little with regards to anything.

I suppose you voted Yes because you wanted to be hip with your Dutch pals, rather than concern for women?

I prefer people of substance rather than image. Our Leo with his PR gurus flitters from embracing the rainbow flag one day, to saying gay couples couldn't adopt a few years ago.

International image! What exactly is that anyway? America's probably isn't great at the moment but people will do business with them due to military power and wealth. We're small fry, so getting worked up about Euro camera crews doing interviews with elderly Catholics in Donegal shows how narrow your thinking is and how wound up you are with your anti Catholic agenda.

Any self respecting Aethist couldn't care less if the pope was coming or know when. He/she wouldn't be buying tickets and booking buses like a Junior Cert with too much time on their hands.

You don't know me or why I voted in the referendum and I don't have to justify it to you.

Also, atheists read the news by the way and the Pope makes the news.

Anyhow good luck. Not dealing with you anymore . Just arguing sh1te for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,961 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

You know reading through this makes me feel ashamed that I also got 12 tickets to be not used (wasn't serious about eBay)

I complain all the time about the hard left trying to shut down events with Jordan Peterson, Sam Harris etc.

I'm doing no better here, yes the RCC is a rotten institution, yes this is a colossal waste of money, but people should be free to choose.

I would have HOPED people didn't go, but blocking them ????

I didn't think it through, I will offer my tickets to people that genuinely want them - closer to the day.

The idea of the protest might seem a good one at first glance (the legitimate idea of mounting a protest against the formal institution of the Catholic Church for past and current misdemeanours).

But if it ends up disrupting ordinary Catholics who want to see the Pope instead, it becomes completely self defeating. The victims of church misdemeanours in the past were ordinary Catholics after all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭BliainanAir

murpho999 wrote: »
    You don't know me or why I voted in the referendum and I don't have to justify it to you/

Also, atheists read the news by the way and the Pope makes the news.

Anyhow good luck. Not dealing with you anymore . Just arguing sh1te for the sake of it.

You're not arguing because you're out of your depth.

Oh what will everyone in Europe think about the elderly Catholics in Donegal? Lol!

Strazdas wrote: »
    The idea of the protest might seem a good one at first glance (the legitimate idea of mounting a protest against the formal institution of the Catholic Church for past and current misdemeanours).

But if it ends up disrupting ordinary Catholics who want to see the Pope instead, it becomes completely self defeating. The victims of church misdemeanours in the past were ordinary Catholics after all.

Excellent post Sir.

Whoa, Leo can travel back in time? Cool!

Yes he's capable of magnificent deeds :) Wait and see him fawning over the pope!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I think celibate men in skirts are not the folks to talk to us about family.

Are you one of those people who think that only parents have families or know anything about family life.
    What about single men and women who have parents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews? Do they know nothing about family life?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes he's capable of magnificent deeds :) Wait and see him fawning over the pope!
    The Pope is an officially recognised head of state. It would be expected that Leo would at the very least show the same respect he does to any other head of state.

Obligations and all that. I wouldn't read too much into it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Rugby123innow

It will be a great day for all involved, got a ticket off my niece as a birthday present delighted

Are you one of those people who think that only parents have families or know anything about family life.
    What about single men and women who have parents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews? Do they know nothing about family life?

I wonder if he's one of those people full of smugness and one liners? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Priests and single people can know about family life but having children and being actively involved in the raising of those children is going to give you an insight into it you never would have gotten otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It will be a great day for all involved, got a ticket off my niece as a birthday present delighted

you know the tickets are free, right?

seamus wrote: »
    The Pope is an officially recognised head of state. It would be expected that Leo would at the very least show the same respect he does to any other head of state.

Obligations and all that. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Leo will give it extras though, beyond one head of state meeting another. It's all about Leo after all and his carefully managed PR. Leo would probably meet Hitler when he was winning WW2 if he felt it was a PR op.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Many years ago now, I had to do a Catholic "pre-marriage course". The parts delivered by lay people were feeble, but they at least looked embarrassed to be giving them (rhythm method etc).

The bits delivered by the priest were actually hilarious. He tried to lecture us about household budgets, and was shocked when we corrected his many errors - he had absolutely no idea what a household budget would look like, unlike the many couples present, most of whom were "living in sin".

Priests and single people can know about family life but having children and being actively involved in the raising of those children is going to give you an insight into it you never would have gotten otherwise.

A lot of older siblings in most priests' generation practically reared children in big families. Older children working to provide for a family if a parent died young.

The man in the skirt, as Zubey, put it might know an awful lot about rearing a family. We know nothing about him.

But the smart asses and darlings of the fora come out with their one liners to get their thumbs up from their clique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Leo would probably meet Hitler when he was winning WW2 if he felt it was a PR op.

AH proving that stupidity knows no limits......

Many years ago now, I had to do a Catholic "pre-marriage course". The parts delivered by lay people were feeble, but they at least looked embarrassed to be giving them (rhythm method etc).

The bits delivered by the priest were actually hilarious. He tried to lecture us about household budgets, and was shocked when we corrected his many errors - he had absolutely no idea what a household budget would look like, unlike the many couples present, most of whom were "living in sin".

Household budgets isn't rocket science. Don't spend more than you earn :) There are many equally clueless lay people who don't have a clue how to budget. I think that's an individual thing rather than being a priest or not. You don't have to be taught 'budgeting' it usually comes from parenting and cop on.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    AH proving that stupidity knows no limits......

You still sore. Lol!

How many tickets did you book today and buses book big fella?

Household budgets isn't rocket science. Don't spend more than you earn :) There are many equally clueless lay people who don't have a clue how to budget. I think that's an individual thing rather than being a priest or not. You don't have to be taught 'budgeting' it usually comes from parenting and cop on.

If it is so simple how come the priest teaching the course couldn't get it right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

You still sore. Lol!

Sore? Not at all sweetie, have a look what forum you are on. You seem to think you are a high brow debating forum although your Hitler remark would indicate you would be seriously out of your depth if you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Hey, tell the eejits running Catholic pre-marriage courses, not me!

According to ACCORD's website:

Be assured that at no time during the programme will any couple or individual be placed in a situation that will cause embarrassment or distress.

I was pretty feckin embarrassed for some of the people who had to deliver that course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,651 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Really though it's only going to give a person an insight into raising their own children, which is indisputable and fair enough, but not having children or not being married or in a relationship does not immediately preclude someone from actually knowing what they're talking about.

They know what they're talking about within the context of the family from the perspective of the Catholic Church, and that's really the whole point of the event. One doesn't have to be Catholic to attend, and one doesn't even have to have their own biological children to attend. It's not a requirement to be able to talk about the meaning of the families from a Catholic perspective.

As for Zubs 'celibate men in dresses comment', well neither people who are cross-dressers, gender non-conforming nor people who are transgender are precluded from attending, and actually it might be an interesting perspective to hear their perspective on the family from someone who is transgender and Catholic -

I'm Proud To Be a Transgender Catholic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Oh whoopie! Another thread of one-upmanship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Really though it's only going to give a person an insight into raising their own children, which is indisputable and fair enough, but not having children or not being married or in a relationship does not immediately preclude someone from actually knowing what they're talking about.

What's a priest or a single person going to really know about trying to know about parental guilt about leaving your children to work, wrestling with how to raise a child and the best way of disciplining them, the strain that the tiredness from lack of sleep can put on your relationship during those early months beyond knowing about it in the abstract? Being giving sage advice from someone that's never had to deal with it, no matter how well intentioned, is frankly bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Leo would probably meet Hitler when he was winning WW2 if he felt it was a PR op.

You can't beat the Christians for licking up :

blTMy0e.jpg

loving it :

164IXs0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

Jesus! (Pun intended) all the people bleating about how horrible it is to book tickets and not use them, no need to get your knickers in a twist!

Like any event, people that want to go will get their tickets early. If they twiddle their thumbs waiting for the last minute to secure them it's their own fault they can't go.

I'd be surprised if it's full anyway. There can't be that many people wetting themselves with excitement to go to mass.

If it is so simple how come the priest teaching the course couldn't get it right?

Already explained that. A lay person could be equally poor at budgeting.

Just more Catholic bashing. Tiresome. A lot on here need to grow up and realise humans aren't perfect and try and rid themselves of hate and bitterness.

How many anti Catholic threads are opened on this site, practically daily. If the church was gone in the morning the same people would find something else to moan about.

Just negative people. And others who feel they're intellectually superior to others and spreading englightenment. Live and let live. Let ordinary Catholics see their spiritual leader. Enough of the childish, petty nonsense that you'd scold your children for. Just bullying really.

Build a bridge.

gctest50 wrote: »
    You can't beat the Christians for licking up :

blTMy0e.jpg

loving it :

164IXs0.jpg

Like Mussolini he made a Concordat with the church who were concerned with survival.

By the way your pics are pre WW2 so irrelevant to my point :) Nice try little motorbike guy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,651 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

What's a priest or a single person going to really know about trying to know about parental guilt about leaving your children to work, wrestling with how to raise a child and the best way of disciplining them, the strain that the tiredness from lack of sleep can put on your relationship during those early months beyond knowing about it in the abstract? Being giving sage advice from someone that's never had to deal with it, no matter how well intentioned, is frankly bollocks.

But sure I don't know anything about that from your perspective either, I can only ever know about what it's like for you in abstract. I can definitely agree with you in one sense that often times what someone may consider sage advice based upon their experiences can be seen quite frankly as bollocks, like people who tell me constantly that an apartment is no place to raise a child, etc, the onslaught of "sage advice" is endless. However, I've received plenty of good advice from my local priest who is very understanding (most of the time! We can disagree about plenty!), and has provided guidance on a number of occasions.

Whether advice is considered either sage or bollocks really depends upon how relatable it is and how it's communicated. The orthopaedic surgeon for example who performed my hip replacement, to the best of my knowledge has never had a hip replacement himself, but it would be silly of me to suggest he couldn't possibly know what he's talking about and be far more familiar with the way it had previously affected me and he would also be far more familiar with the likely outcomes than I am, because he would be talking to far more patients about their conditions than I ever will.

Already explained that. A lay person could be equally poor at budgeting.

Just more Catholic bashing. Tiresome. A lot on here need to grow up and realise humans aren't perfect and try and rid themselves of hate and bitterness.

How many anti Catholic threads are opened on this site, practically daily. If the church was gone in the morning the same people would find something else to moan about.

Just negative people. And others who feel they're intellectually superior to others and spreading englightenment. Live and let live. Let ordinary Catholics see their spiritual leader. Enough of the childish, petty nonsense that you'd scold your children for. Just bullying really.

Build a bridge.

If the priest was so incompetent why was he teaching prospective married people in the first place?

• Advertisement

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Sore? Not at all sweetie, have a look what forum you are on. You seem to think you are a high brow debating forum although your Hitler remark would indicate you would be seriously out of your depth if you were.

Whatever forum you're on big fella you're no intellect! Your comments are.. sad to be honest. Are you a grown man whipping up places for the papal visit to do exactly what?

If the place is half empty everyone will know it's down to childish behaviour by big guys like Hitman! Grow up!

Advertisement