Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

North Dublin Membership Options

• 22-06-2018 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

First post in a long time and hoping to tap into your collective wisdom. I was a member for a number of years in Palmerstown and really enjoyed it, working my way down to 7 by the time I left at the end of 2016. At that point I left as I just didn’t have the time available to justify the membership cost.

I am still facing significant time constraints (due mainly to a very young child) but having gotten back to playing a bit of society golf this year I’m chomping at the bit to rejoin a club.

What I’m looking for in a ideal world:

Not too far a round trip from home (Glasnevin)
    A reasonably quick round
    Relatively easy to get out
    Good value (as even with the above I’m still unlikely to get out that much!)

Obviously the higher the quality of course the better but I know I need to make some trade offs.

Clubs that run 9 hole comps (you can probably tell there is a running theme here) and/or offer discounted membership rates for the under 35s are also of particular interest!

Thanks a mil for any and all advice...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

St Margaret's immediately springs to mind although they've improved the course so much it's gotten a lot busier so ease of getting out may not be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 reax

Hollywood lakes in ballyboughal would be a 25 minute drive out the North road. They have deals for under 35s and they have qualifying 9 hole comps mid week
    Carpo86 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

First post in a long time and hoping to tap into your collective wisdom. I was a member for a number of years in Palmerstown and really enjoyed it, working my way down to 7 by the time I left at the end of 2016. At that point I left as I just didn’t have the time available to justify the membership cost.

I am still facing significant time constraints (due mainly to a very young child) but having gotten back to playing a bit of society golf this year I’m chomping at the bit to rejoin a club.

What I’m looking for in a ideal world:

Not too far a round trip from home (Glasnevin)
    A reasonably quick round
    Relatively easy to get out
    Good value (as even with the above I’m still unlikely to get out that much!)

Obviously the higher the quality of course the better but I know I need to make some trade offs.

Clubs that run 9 hole comps (you can probably tell there is a running theme here) and/or offer discounted membership rates for the under 35s are also of particular interest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

St. Margarets is a great option for you. 9 holes HC qualifiying comp is new there and seems to be popular. There's reduced first year joining rates. If you are only playing during the week there's a midweek membership option. No under 35 rates though. Course is nice and a friendly environment.

Roganstown worth a look too. A friend moved there from margarets. I think it was a little pricer, but represented better value for him as membership there also gets his kids access to their swimming pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Castleknock seems the best choice based on the criteria. The course is always in great nick and the membership is growing year on year.

Not too far a round trip from home (Glasnevin) 20 mins drive
    A reasonably quick round 4hrs max
    Relatively easy to get out Never had a problem getting a time
    Good value (as even with the above I’m still unlikely to get out that much!) The flexible membership sounds perfect for you.

There is a 9 hole qualifying competition every Wednesday evening.

The best thing is the flexible membership for someone with time constraints like yourself. The cost is €1,450 and that translates to 1,450 credits. Peak time 18 holes is 30 credits and 20 off peak. The beauty is that anything not spent on golf can be used in the bar, restaurant or pro shop. You simply won't do better that €20/30 a round with any other North Dublin membership unless you are playing multiple times a week.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Johnk16

Was in the same position last year and decided to go around and give them a test run before pulling the trigger! Spoiled for choice up here and was really impressed by a number of clubs. All depends on how far you want to travel i suppose! I'm living in Swords and decided to join Corrstown and have been happy out since (previously Waterford GC). Make sure to pay it a visit if your considering St Margarets as it's right beside it but offers 27 holes. Always nice to have a spare 9 holes to pop out onto when the other course is busy:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Johnk16 wrote: »
    Was in the same position last year and decided to go around and give them a test run before pulling the trigger! Spoiled for choice up here and was really impressed by a number of clubs. All depends on how far you want to travel i suppose! I'm living in Swords and decided to join Corrstown and have been happy out since (previously Waterford GC). Make sure to pay it a visit if your considering St Margarets as it's right beside it but offers 27 holes. Always nice to have a spare 9 holes to pop out onto when the other course is busy:)
    Agree that Corrstown is an excellent option also and they have reduced rates for either under 30 or 35 AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

North Dublin courses have been my pursuit for a while, here is what I have found:

St. Margaret's - Excellent course, renovations still underway, but steadily improving.
    Coorstown - Nice enough, not as flashy as St. Margaret's. I think you get a 5 day at Forrest Little for joining now
    Elmgreen - Reasonable price, and close to you. Not my favorite course, but if the price is right...
    Castleknock - I did not care for this course, dont see what the fuss is about
    Luttrellstown - Really great course, but probably too pricy based on what you have said
    Roganstown - Very good course, comes with a 5 day to Swords
    Swords - Shorter course, not nearly what Roganstown is but not bad and you get a 5 day to Roganstown
    Beaverstown - Nice course, the first 9 is far superior
    Donabate - Nondescript but also very affordable. Bland.
    Balcarrick - Weird blend of parkland in a links format. I would not reccomend it.
    Corballis Links - 5 or 6 average links holes, the rest is subpar.
    Hollywood Lakes - Not bad, not great. Probably too far away.
    Clontarf - no. Expensive and a poor, crowded course.
    Portmarnock Hotel - Very nice links course, but not cheap
    St. Annes - Nice course, but pricy
    Royal Dublin - Even more expensive than St. Annes.
    Silloge Park - no

Honestly I would say St. Margarets is your best choice if the price is not too much. Roganstown or Luttrellstown would also be excellent choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

A friend of mine works in Glasnevin and is a member of Elmgreen. Can fit in a game early on Wednesday and Sunday morning which suits him from a work/life perspective.

Not the most exciting course, but good greens and very well maintained and it might suit you for a few years until the kids are older.

I played Roganstown a week ago and thought it was in excellent condition but probably won't work for you from an access perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Roganstown have a 9 hole qualifying comp u can play any day.
    There are 2 midweek comps Tuesday in roganstown and Friday in swords.
    If u pay upfront u get access to the gym and swimming pool.
    U have 36 holes to play midweek so it's never busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,821 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I was thinking straight away that St Margarets would be good for you. but then I read this.
    Good value (as even with the above I’m still unlikely to get out that much!)...
    So if you are not going to get out that much, the credits membeship is a good option at Castleknock as you can't loose your money. Bring the wife and kids over for a bit of grub, buy your gear and balls in the shop.

Now I won't say it's the best course by any stretch, but it is better than most listed above and does tick all your boxes.

But my advice is to look at those 2 clubs especially, but don't rule out any of the others. Research them all and get yourself a shortlist. Then visit & play the courses (I'm sure most will let you out for free if you are looking to join).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭finglashoop

North Dublin courses have been my pursuit for a while, here is what I have found:

St. Margaret's - Excellent course, renovations still underway, but steadily improving.
    Coorstown - Nice enough, not as flashy as St. Margaret's. I think you get a 5 day at Forrest Little for joining now
    Elmgreen - Reasonable price, and close to you. Not my favorite course, but if the price is right...
    Luttrellstown - Really great course, but probably too pricy based on what you have said
    Swords - Shorter course, not nearly what Roganstown is but not bad and you get a 5 day to Roganstown
    Balcarrick - Weird blend of parkland in a links format. I would not reccomend it.
    Silloge Park - no

Honestly I would say St. Margarets is your best choice if the price is not too much. Roganstown or Luttrellstown would also be excellent choices.

What did you settle on in the end?

Im considering joining a club but time is an issue for me and most likely i would join elmgreen as its closest to me so would be easily accessible.

My main concern is actually playing the same course all the time as i enjoy playing different courses evey week, which is what i have done since i took up golf about 5 years ago.

I do like the idea of comps and an official handicap

Silloge Park - no

Haven't played it in a long time, but would put Castleknock well above elmgreen. That being said, joining Elmgreen significantly cheaper and gets you playing rights on Corballis Links. Corballis is a beaut (my opinion, some love some hate). Elmgreen very close to you though.

agree, Castleknock and Elmgreen are not just in different divisions, they are different leagues

Seve OB wrote: »
    agree, Castleknock and Elmgreen are not just in different divisions, they are different leagues

In what ways?

I often seen people run elmgreen down on here but never give an actual reason.

In what ways?

I often seen people run elmgreen down on here but never give an actual reason.

Course quality, condition, test. In fairness I believe Carr golf put a bit more into it these days and it’s a while since I played it, but my memories were always I& I never play this course again it will be to soon

Seve OB wrote: »
    Course quality, condition, test. In fairness I believe Carr golf put a bit more into it these days and it’s a while since I played it, but my memories were always I& I never play this course again it will be to soon

Its been a couple of months at least for me but it was in superb condition when i last was there.

Playing Saturday and apparently they are watering "round the clock" due to weather.

Its been a couple of months at least for me but it was in superb condition when i last was there.

Playing Saturday and apparently they are watering "round the clock" due to weather.

well if you like it and it suits your needs then it is worth considering.
    its not for me though

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

What did you settle on in the end?

Im considering joining a club but time is an issue for me and most likely i would join elmgreen as its closest to me so would be easily accessible.

My main concern is actually playing the same course all the time as i enjoy playing different courses evey week, which is what i have done since i took up golf about 5 years ago.

I do like the idea of comps and an official handicap

I have the Corballis/Elmgreen pay as you play membership as don't get out very often e350 with a handicap , Corballis is great in the winter no mud , I play a lot of opens in the summer some as great courses in NCD with good deals , if I had more time and less kids would consider joining St Margarets or Roganstown.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Corballis have deals starting from €299 as well, it's printed on the card

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Two clubs for the price off one at Corrstown or Forrest Littleis is an amazing deal with no restrictions on time sheets for members. Correstown also has the spare 9 to play when the comps are on the 18 at the weekend. It’s also the most logical location for you.

But try a few and then join one that you like and find the warmest welcome at plus short drive to work and home. You have loads of choice with all different levels of pricing and quality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Ollieboy wrote: »
    Two clubs for the price off one at Corrstown or Forrest Littleis is an amazing deal with no restrictions on time sheets for members. Correstown also has the spare 9 to play when the comps are on the 18 at the weekend. It’s also the most logical location for you.

But try a few and then join one that you like and find the warmest welcome at plus short drive to work and home. You have loads of choice with all different levels of pricing and quality.

Can I ask why Corrstown don't offer a under 35s membership?

It's actually this group of people who are the hardest up due to saving for, or buying, a house, getting married, having kids... In my 20s I had none of the above and had much more disposal income!

I ask as Corrstown seems a very progressive club.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Jesus this is a no brainer, Castleknock is by far the best course on the Northside of Dublin, Corrstown, Roganstown and Margaret's play 2nd fiddle to Castleknock

Stacksey wrote: »
    Jesus this is a no brainer, Castleknock is by far the best course on the Northside of Dublin, Corrstown, Roganstown and Margaret's play 2nd fiddle to Castleknock

for a start, it is not a patch on luttrelstown

Can I ask why Corrstown don't offer a under 35s membership?

It's actually this group of people who are the hardest up due to saving for, or buying, a house, getting married, having kids... In my 20s I had none of the above and had much more disposal income!

I ask as Corrstown seems a very progressive club.

We do it up to 32.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

Stacksey wrote: »

I'd say the members of Portmarnock, Royal Dublin, The Island and Portmarnock Links might take umbrage with that statement....

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Carpo86

Lads, thanks a mil for all the input. Just need to find the time to get out and play a few of them (in some cases for the first time, in some cases not) now.

Just one thing that didn’t get that much discussion, are any of Margaret’s, Corrstown, Castleknock (which seem the three best options) know for having significantly better or worse timesheet pressures? Appreciate Corrstown does have the second nine...

Can't speak for the others, however Margarets is busy on the weekends. You need to set your alarm for when the timesheet opens and be hitting refresh if you have a specific time in mind. If you miss your time, you can add yourself to the waiting list. I've always gotten out.

You’ll always get out in Corrstown with a little bit of effort and flexibility. I usually play the same 4ball at the same time on both Saturday and Sunday but I book it when the time sheet opens on Friday evening. If I miss it, I go on waiting list and can enter a time range for any particular day that suits me. We also have a cool club app.

You also become a owner within the club and get to vote at club meetings etc. this means the club can’t increase subs or change rules without the members permission.

Brilliant clubhouse with ok practice facilities but then you have the spare 9 to practice on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Carpo86

Lads, thanks again for all the insight. From what people have said and from having done a bit more research I think Castleknock makes the most sense for me (it doesn’t hurt that I played it a month ago and really liked it).

Just one further question: beyond golf, the pro shop and the restaurant, can the credits be used for anything else? By that I mean can they be used for

- comp entry
    - the range
    - lessons
    - anything else I might be missing

• Advertisement

Lads, thanks again for all the insight. From what people have said and from having done a bit more research I think Castleknock makes the most sense for me (it doesn’t hurt that I played it a month ago and really liked it).

Just one further question: beyond golf, the pro shop and the restaurant, can the credits be used for anything else? By that I mean can they be used for

- comp entry
    - the range
    - lessons
    - anything else I might be missing
    Comp entry.... Yes for midweek comps but weekend comps you have to pay. It's 5 bucks and 2 extra if you want to go in the 2's. I wouldn't bother with the 2's as it's only on the 9th and 18th.

There is no range. You get discount at Luttrelstown range also as Carr golf run Elm Green they often throw the members a few credits for the range up there.

I think you can use credits for lessons but don't quote me on that. :)

Advertisement