Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Dublin Membership Options

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Carpo86

Seve OB wrote: »
    Comp entry.... Yes for midweek comps but weekend comps you have to pay. It's 5 bucks and 2 extra if you want to go in the 2's. I wouldn't bother with the 2's as it's only on the 9th and 18th.

There is no range. You get discount at Luttrelstown range also as Carr golf run Elm Green they often throw the members a few credits for the range up there.

I think you can use credits for lessons but don't quote me on that. :)

Thanks a mil, will ping them a mail with the lesson question. Think if you can use for that as well I might even get a couple of mates interested as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Carpo86

Seve OB wrote: »
    Comp entry.... Yes for midweek comps but weekend comps you have to pay. It's 5 bucks and 2 extra if you want to go in the 2's. I wouldn't bother with the 2's as it's only on the 9th and 18th.

There is no range. You get discount at Luttrelstown range also as Carr golf run Elm Green they often throw the members a few credits for the range up there.

I think you can use credits for lessons but don't quote me on that. :)

Final question! What’s the format for winter comps? Are they generally 9/12/14/18 holes? Thanks again for all the insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Carpo86 wrote: »
    Final question! What’s the format for winter comps? Are they generally 9/12/14/18 holes? Thanks again for all the insight.

18 at weekends. They really need to shorten it for winter. I said it to them last year and it will be looked at.
    There are 9 hole comps run midweek for most of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Carpo, glad to hear you are interested in Castleknock.

I am not sure about using the credit for lessons, worth ringing the pro shop to find out, all the staff are very helpful.

I think it is by far the best deal around for your circumstances, I was in Corrstown last year and Castleknock is better value and a better course. I have never had an issue with time sheets.

The only small problem I have is that every competition is singles which gets a bit boring.

If you do end up joining we should get a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

What did you settle on in the end?

Im considering joining a club but time is an issue for me and most likely i would join elmgreen as its closest to me so would be easily accessible.

My main concern is actually playing the same course all the time as i enjoy playing different courses evey week, which is what i have done since i took up golf about 5 years ago.

I do like the idea of comps and an official handicap

Just saw the replies to my post in this old thread, so a couple of responses:

I joined Roganstown for 6 months but let my membership lapse after that. Great course, but some issues that I ultimately lead me to not want to renew. A few bad encounters with other members (lots of good encounters too, just a takes a few to spoil it though), and some maintenance issues that just felt...well sub-par.

I loved having a official GUI handicap and long to renew that. Just feels more official and regulated, but so far I have not pulled the trigger on a new club.

I have been playing in two societies this year (boards.ie society and another one) and have been very happy to play a variety of courses. This is what holds me back the most from joining another club, as I love to experience all the amazing courses Ireland has to offer.

Castleknock is *well* above Elmgreen as others pointed out, and I did not mean to seem it was that way. I re-read my post and see clearly that the way I worded things it could sound that way. I guess I just heard SO many good things about Castleknock that I was expecting more. Still a good course, and I love their membership approach.

Since my post I have played a few more Northside courses (except Forest Little, which finding an agreeable tee time has eluded me!!!), but nothing has stood out enough to warrant more commentary.

I am most interested in joining St. Margaret's at some point in the future, but for now my weekends are full with either society golf or other matters. Maybe next year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

Hey folks. Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I see a few questions being asked about Castleknock golf club here. I am a member in a local course and contemplating a move and like the look of Castleknock but I can’t find any info on 5 day memebers playing weekend comps. Is it a no go or do you have to pay for them like you were a visitor or how does it work? I am looking at the 5 day as most of my golf is played during the week and I might only golf at the weekend 5/6 times a year. Thanks for any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

_DMac_ wrote: »
    Hey folks. Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I see a few questions being asked about Castleknock golf club here. I am a member in a local course and contemplating a move and like the look of Castleknock but I can’t find any info on 5 day memebers playing weekend comps. Is it a no go or do you have to pay for them like you were a visitor or how does it work? I am looking at the 5 day as most of my golf is played during the week and I might only golf at the weekend 5/6 times a year. Thanks for any info.

I'm sure someone else will confirm this from Castleknock but 5 days usually only covers Mom to Fri and at the weekend your a none member and will pay full green fee and not be entitled to enter the members comp. Hence the price difference.

We have 5 day plus which does give you access to the extra 9 at the weekend which I think is a very unique and don't know any other clubs that offer that facilitate to 5 days memberships.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

What Ollieboy says.
    5 day member is a 5 day member..... Monday to friday. I believe you can play at weekends, but not in competition time and not in any competitions only open to full members. Im not sure you are allowed to book times on the sheet anymore at weekends as a 5 day member, you would probably need to ring the shop and get ask them to book you in if there are free slots.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Hi Guys, apologies for dragging up an old thread but looking for some direction.

Currently a member of Dun Laoghaire, handicap 5 and generally play every Saturday morning, some Sunday mornings and try get out in the evenings during the summer.
    Due to a new job at the airport and thus moving house to Drumcondra I am on the look out for a new course in North Dublin.

Ideally what I'd be looking for is:
    Few issues getting a timesheet on a Saturday/Sunday morning
    Decent practice facilities
    Not too long a drive, currently 30 mins away now so ideally no more than that
    Good atmosphere in club

Price not a major concern but I wouldn't be keen on paying an entrance fee

Initial thoughts are Castleknock but happy to bow to your more infinite wisdom!

If you are looking at Castleknock, I would look at Luttrellstown also (right next door). Luttrellstown is a better course and has far superior practice facilities with a full driving range and a "mini course" with 3 par 3 practice holes. Can't speak to the comps as I am not a member.

Other quality courses with good practice facilities I would suggest you check out would be St. Margarets (full range for practice) or Roganstown (irons only range).

Elm Green is also close by and I believe does have a range, but is not in the same leauge in terms of the course quality level.

I would suggest you email or call each course you are interested in for a quick visit to the facilities and a round of golf. Every course I have ever had interest in joining was happy to have me come play a round first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Roganstown would be a good option, u also get 5 day membership in swords open and access to the gym and swimming pool.
    Comps on Saturday and Sunday plus u have a open on Tuesday in roganstown and Friday in swords.
    It's 10 mins from the airport.
    They also do 9 hole Comps during the summer.

Bringing up this thread again.

I think I am going to join Forrest Little for a year and see how it goes. My ideal solution is a members club with limited about of societies etc which effectively ruled out St Margarets. Is there any members here?

Long term I am looking at Malahide or The Island if the budget stretches to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭bren2001

frink wrote: »
    Bringing up this thread again.

I think I am going to join Forrest Little for a year and see how it goes. My ideal solution is a members club with limited about of societies etc which effectively ruled out St Margarets. Is there any members here?

Long term I am looking at Malahide or The Island if the budget stretches to it!

Have you looked at Corrstown? 27 holes and relatively few societies out there. Located in the same place. I'm a member there myself.

bren2001 wrote: »
    Have you looked at Corrstown? 27 holes and relatively few societies out there. Located in the same place. I'm a member there myself.

Yeah its one of my final two options really. Don't know the course at all so will try get out in a open towards the end of the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭willabur

Why is corballis not on your list?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭blue note

This is a particularly handy thread for me now! Corballis is top of my list, but I might check out a coupe of other options. Price is a big factor for me. Just bought a house, getting married in Feb and being made redundant next Friday!

I'm based in Portmarnock. I used to live near castleknock though and played it regularly. That's a great course. My only problem with it was rounds there used to take forever. This was about 6 years ago, so hopefully things have improved since.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Is Roganstown a member owned club?

Is Roganstown a member owned club?

No, it is not member owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Have played most courses in North Dublin not in a position to join due to kids taxi duties at the weekends but if i had more time preference would be Portmarnock Links nice course playable all year round , also like St Margarets and Roganstown is a good deal if you want a leisure centre as well and Swords Open is a nice course and is included also . NCD is full of good golf courses plenty of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

blue note wrote: »
    This is a particularly handy thread for me now! Corballis is top of my list, but I might check out a coupe of other options. Price is a big factor for me. Just bought a house, getting married in Feb and being made redundant next Friday!

I'm based in Portmarnock. I used to live near castleknock though and played it regularly. That's a great course. My only problem with it was rounds there used to take forever. This was about 6 years ago, so hopefully things have improved since.

What age are you? If under 35 you have more options then you think.

Personally I hate Corballis, far to slow, to many micky mouse holes and every chance of getting hit by a ball plus it’s miles away. Rather pay more and save money on transport cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

With corballis you get elm green too. Which may sweeten the deal for you

With corballis you get elm green too. Which may sweeten the deal for you

Yep. Basically if I fancy hitting a driver I'd need to head out there. Used a driver just twice in corballis.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

Yep. Basically if I fancy hitting a driver I'd need to head out there. Used a driver just twice in corballis.

That’s what I love about Corballis. It’s probably the only course in Ireland where you have to use every single club in your bag from both the tee and the fairway. There is a lot more thinking involved than just bashing driver off the tee all day.

There are a few not great holes I agree, but there are at least 8 or 9 holes on the course that are a match for any other links course in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I was a member in Corballis for 3 years recently. I played there 2 weeks ago and I was in good condition, recovered mostly from the drought of last year.
    You really need to play it a few times and decide if it's what you want in regular golf.
    The worst thing about it for me is that there is no in-between golf, no shots from light rough. You're either on the fairways or have a difficult or near impossible shot from heavy rough with a tough stance. That's not the case with all links courses.

I was a member in Corballis for 3 years recently. I played there 2 weeks ago and I was in good condition, recovered mostly from the drought of last year.
    You really need to play it a few times and decide if it's what you want in regular golf.
    The worst thing about it for me is that there is no in-between golf, no shots from light rough. You're either on the fairways or have a difficult or near impossible shot from heavy rough with a tough stance. That's not the case with all links courses.

That's an interesting point. I wondered if I'd get really tired of hitting irons onto good sized fairways and then the whole round being about my approach shots into the greens. Whereas growing up in tramore for a good round you'd need to be driving well and be on top of your iron play / short game. But what you've mentioned is another concern too!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭rooney30

davegilly wrote: »
    That’s what I love about Corballis. It’s probably the only course in Ireland where you have to use every single club in your bag from both the tee and the fairway. There is a lot more thinking involved than just bashing driver off the tee all day.

Ah . I think there may be one or two links courses knocking about the Atlantic coast that might challenge this assertion ]

Advertisement