Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone else get sick at the thought of working for the next 40 years?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

shakeitoff wrote: »
    This is true. So many people just get by on an appetite of Netflix and browsing internet and wonder why they're unhappy. Cinema is no longer a hobby in the way it may have been a few decades ago.

Thread here not long ago about what people do in the evenings.
    Most people do nothing. Get home. Make dinner watch tv, browse internet, sleep. Day in day out, then wonder why they're not happy.
    Fair enough I can understand people are tired and wiped after work, but it doesn't take much effort to go for a walk or even spend 30 mins tipping away at some project or hobby.

Variety is the spice of life. If you cant get it in work, you need to get it at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

I have the odd day where I feel like this but I look at it more long term. I built 2 hotels this year. I pretend I’m self employed and getting paid 25000 a hotel. I get penalized for every day I’m not on site.

Would you rather foraging for food, losing most of your kids to hunger during the winter and struggling to find dry wood during the rain? Humans have never been more comfortable than they are now. It’s not a waste of a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,961 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I left school at 14. 50 now but they won't give me a state pension till I'm 68. I'll be working & pay tax 54 years before I get a state pension. Others might only be working 30 years between college & gap years. Doesn't make sense to me at all

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I left school at 14. 50 now but they won't give me a state pension till I'm 68. I'll be working & pay tax 54 years before I get a state pension. Others might only be working 30 years between college & gap years. Doesn't make sense to me at all

I'm half your age yet pay the same health insurance even though I'm statistically much healthier and less likely to go to hospital.

The system is counter intuitive because the alternative is that a certain group would be severely disadvantaged. In your case if there was a fixed number of year required before a pension, some people would be working well into their 80s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

This thread appears with regularly. It isn't the work that bothers people but the amount they have to work. Productivity has increased massively due to technological advancement. We produce far more than ever with far lower human involvement. If you look at trends since the 80's productivity has kept increasing massively while wages have not followed that trend. We are producing more stuff than ever but working the same hours and for less money indexing in inflation. That doesn't make sense unless you look at where the money goes.

I don't know how anyone justifies working a 5 day week. You are essentially a slave when you consider commute, odd extra hours and recovery time. If your life inside work isn't of much relative value to you as a person it just isn't worth it. Work = Money (Nothing else) 4 days is just about bearable. It would make us all much more happy individuals if we could all move to 4 days and with the increase in productivity due to technology it should have happened long ago.

For it to happen though people need to start questioning the system we have created. Why is the distribution of wealth not more equal. This comes and goes as a question in the media quite often but it is never addressed. The kind of wealth creation towards certain sections of society is not needed. Money though is the GOD of the society we have created and while it continues to intoxicate people into thinking it will make them happy while not understanding a better functioning society all around the world full of happy people would make them far more whole, fulfilled and happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,961 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm half your age yet pay the same health insurance even though I'm statistically much healthier and less likely to go to hospital.

I've paid vhi since 18 too.

My point is I pay taxes that allow others to go to college. I pay taxes & work for up to 14 years longer than others. It does not make sense. I would think that someone paying tax for 50 years should get state pension regardless of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Dardania wrote: »
    There's a lot of movement lately about the FIRE concept - Financial Independence, Retire Early.
    Apparently, in the US, the big issues with achieveing the idea are:
    - housing costs (buying too large a home)
    - education costs (not such a problem for Europeans)
    - car costs (do you change your car frequently etc.)

If you want to do something about the topic, I suggest you check it out. And also, this is a useful Reddit page to follow: https://www.reddit.com/r/EuropeFIRE/

Since getting interested in the topic, I have tentatively convinced my spouse to stick with our starter home, and that will give me the flexibility to maybe not work 40 hours per as a wage slave, and instead take on some consulting gigs for really interesting topics. But I would like to clear the mortgage first...

I was thinking of this but for some reason I feel like I'd need an awful amount of money.

I'm currently saving about 15k a year but i live very frugally. 60k in bank.

I was thinking of buying an apartment in the city and making some money with the price increases but feels risky when I don't plan on living there all my life.

Though I would like to go travelling for a year and having the apartment would allow the mortgage to be paid off at the same time.

The dream is having something to bring in 20k a year passively.

How much would one need to retire around 40? New cars don't matter. Haha

It's a joke tbh, one day there will be an uprising when people realise that life truly is short and wasting hours in a job is such bollox. 6 hours is the absolute maximum time you should be working for each day.

The problem with this 'find a job you enjoy' advice is that a of us don't have the IQ to get jobs we enjoy. I don't get replies for entry level sales jobs, so finding a job that I enjoy is a pipe dream.

I graduated from college and work the same job I did throughout colege where I can pick my own hours and wear what I want. The money is terrible and work unfulfilling but the environment is nice enough and my managers and work friends are nice to be around. I feel it has kept me young and I have time to do most stuff I want to. I couldn't think of anything worse than suiting up everyday to go into some toxic work environment with highly competitive people all trying to outdo one another.

9-5 is too long a day, then you have to get the gym in(Gym is a necessity, some weird people enjoy the gym but for me it's a means to an end) make your dinner and then go to bed early so you aren't a zombie the next day. Absolute bollox.

I'll tell you a little secret. I know many people who have strived to climb those ladders, in the suits with the toxic environments. They are conditioned though that this is what life is. Many are miserable as **** underneath it all. Well done you on finding something that works for yourself and gives you happiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

What is a full day's work for you? It could mean 8-7 for some or 8-4. Are you working longer hours than you should?

Do you enjoy the work?

If not, what would you like to do? I don't mean become an artist or something (though you could), but what do you think you'd like that would enable you to live happily with a decent income?

How about you go to the gym before work or at lunchtime if possible?

If energy is a problem for you in the evenings (long hours aside), perhaps you're not eating right or getting enough sleep?

Try not to look at it as having to work for the next 40 years. Instead, set short-term goals for yourself and look at attaining a lifestyle you think you'd like. Give yourself 2-5 years depending on what that is.

My job as jobs go is pretty decent. 8.5 hours a day, 10 min commute. It's just the time not doing things I want to do, like making a sandwich in the kitchen or watching the world cup games or taking the dog for a walk or catching the news on tv. For me, the best hours of the day are 11 to 3pm

Ideal job would be something to do with sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭CalRobert

Yes. I think we all do. It's a lie that we need to, really - the world produces a breathtaking, astronomical amount of wealth - so why do we need to work so much?

For one thing, that wealth isn't going in to thin air. I suspect you spend at least half, maybe three quarters of your month producing wealth for your landlord and the taxman, before you get to keep any of it.

To be fair, the taxes produce things that are also good for you personally, but it's still kind of a drag.

You have time to try to fix it though. Reduce your expenses. Probably leave Dublin, or really any big city (it sucks money out of you like nothing else). Think really hard before you have kids.

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives."

-Annie Dillard

https://www.brainpickings.org/2013/06/07/annie-dillard-the-writing-life-1/

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

I'll tell you a little secret. I know many people who have strived to climb those ladders, in the suits with the toxic environments. They are conditioned though that this is what life is. Many are miserable as **** underneath it all. Well done you on finding something that works for yourself and gives you happiness.

Thanks brah. TBF, I live at home and it's been easy so far but I know people who rent and do what I do so it can be done. Needs a type of mentality though. I think for these people hellbent on career progression, they probably are using it to cover over insecurities or in the absence of real passions. For example, they want women and feel(rightly or wrong) that women are going to be more attracted to them if they make the big bucks. This is the great paradox. It's hard to feel out of the loop and not be out looking the part when everyone else is on the career ladder making decent money but working all the hours in the world.

Thanks brah. TBF, I live at home and it's been easy so far but I know people who rent and do what I do so it can be done. Needs a type of mentality though. I think for these people hellbent on career progression, they probably are using it to cover over insecurities or in the absence of real passions. For example, they want women and feel(rightly or wrong) that women are going to be more attracted to them if they make the big bucks. This is the great paradox. It's hard to feel out of the loop and not be out looking the part when everyone else is on the career ladder making decent money but working all the hours in the world.

Some wise words in that paragraph. We all like sex. Women I find are attracted to passionate guys, confident in themselves just as much as the other stuff. The kind of women who are attracted by the other stuff isn't someone you would have been happy with anyway. I know more people trapped in horrible relationships because of that need to have the wife. Find things that make you happy mate. Remember something else, everyone is a little scared, some hide it better than others, some cope with it by striving for things society place importance on. Find things that are important to you and focus on them. Passion in life is a ****ing wonderful thing, if that fire burns in you then you are alive, so many people lose that by killing themselves to get the other stuff that wasn't important to them but what the consider important because other people do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Thinking the exact same the last while. My job isn't bad but just can't picture the next 40 years doing it. Rather something part time and enjoyable or full time and enjoyable. But more so part time.

I'm on time off at the moment. Big signal for me is dreading having to go back. Time for change for me again.

We have no more jobs for life, we have no more companies for life even, they are been sold and bought, crappy contracts, more expected for less, I mean the list of negatives is getting longer, the positives are your in a job and making your own way, maybe even free coffee or tea.

Just to add, I really think the tax situation above 32k needs to be looked at, it's too high above it.

• Site Banned Posts: 30 DevLit

I just started my career today,

I'm looking forward to my life and working everyday seems like no bother?

What else would you do when your friends and family are in work?

DevLit wrote: »

If you can't answer that then you haven't lived. I could fill every minute of every day with things I enjoy with enough money in the bank just to have a decent living. The world is a bloody amazing place. It is better when you have people around you to enjoy those things with but I don't derive my happiness from those people, it is more the feeling of connection that is important to myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Pussyhands wrote: »
    mid 20's.

In a few years you'll pop out a few sprogs and wave goodbye to work forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Fortune Wookiee_

My job as jobs go is pretty decent. 8.5 hours a day, 10 min commute. It's just the time not doing things I want to do, like making a sandwich in the kitchen or watching the world cup games or taking the dog for a walk or catching the news on tv. For me, the best hours of the day are 11 to 3pm

Ideal job would be something to do with sports.

That’s cool. Would you think about doing a few courses and maybe try and get into coaching or something? I know someone who does that and he works mainly in the evenings or early mornings.

Just trying to make a suggestion. Hope you figure it out. Not nice being unhappy in work. I’ve been there.

If you can't answer that then you haven't lived. I could fill every minute of every day with things I enjoy with enough money in the bank just to have a decent living. The world is a bloody amazing place. It is better when you have people around you to enjoy those things with but I don't derive my happiness from those people, it is more the feeling of connection that is important to myself.

As Dan Bilzarian, a man with unlimited access to money, women, drugs and anything you could wish for says "the sweet is not so sweet without the bitter".
    https://youtu.be/pwiQB6CIAnQ

Although I'd still take his life over mine ;)

Nah he's a try hard over compensating bellend(look at him without the beard) Imagine being a footballer though, like a relatively high IQ good looking footballer like Kaka. My days

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 30 DevLit

I'm 22, of course I haven't live.

I'm only starting to get money now, which will allow me to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Doing the same thing. I mean, getting up early in the morning, doing a full days work, giving away the best hours of the day. Coming back, not really being able to do anything major.

Weekends spent trying to rest as you're bollixed from the week.

20 days off a year.

Stuck at a desk all day, probably leading to health problems later on.

The hope of not doing it keeps me going but deep down the likliehood is I'll have to keep working.
    I lug around 10-15 ton a day by hand, I do be tired when I go home, work every wk-end, what the f*ck is your excuse.

As Dan Bilzarian, a man with unlimited access to money, women, drugs and anything you could wish for says "the sweet is not so sweet without the bitter".
    https://youtu.be/pwiQB6CIAnQ

Although I'd still take his life over mine ;)

That is because he has used his time doing completely vacuous things that while fun for a while aren't fulfilling or real passions in life. I don't wish for any of those things, the problem is those are the things people chase as it is what you are conditioned to think will make you happy.

Yeah, in a way depends on your personality, interests and perspective.

Everyone is different, some people love the structure and pathway that being on a career can bring, it gives order to some people, others can't stand that. Our society favours the first group but then they sign up to the social contract and thus reap the rewards and suffer the consequences.

On the plus side, if you happen to work somewhere where there is a good environment, nice diversity, advancement encouraged but not a dog eat dog world, an inclusive social element, then it's not that bad when you think about it. Time off is the big problem I think. More vacation and 4 day weeks should be brought about.

Well, the point of this thread is people who have been in the humdrum of life for a while and have experience who can give perspective with experience. Unfortunately, people need to experience things for themselves in general, even when they see others make mistakes, they think they can avoid them while doing the same things instead of learning from their experiences and trying to apply better logic to their own life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Best part is paying 54% tax to pay for the long term layabouts!

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Best part is paying 54% tax to pay for the long term layabouts!

Oh, here we go now. The bitter ****s who can't see two feet in front of their eyes. Attack the most vulnerable in society instead of taking a look at the real problems, causes and reasons why the hell you are paying 54%.

That is because he has used his time doing completely vacuous things that while fun for a while aren't fulfilling or real passions in life. I don't wish for any of those things, the problem is those are the things people chase as it is what you are conditioned to think will make you happy.
    I see where you're coming from. This guy is travelling the world with his friends fulfilling every passion in life. I'm sure when you're travelling the world with the people close to you and fulfilling every passion it's going to be totally different and wholesome and give you real happiness.

I see where you're coming from. This guy is travelling the world with his friends fulfilling every passion in life. I'm sure when you're travelling the world with the people close to you and fulfilling every passion it's going to be totally different and wholesome and give you real happiness.

This would be a massively long conversation. Passion for travelling is great, new experiences are wonderful, meeting new people is amazing. All those things should be combined into a life full of other things. Many of those other things are just you finding passion in things that cost very little to no money. You know the things that have you popping out of yourself when you talk about them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Doing the same thing. I mean, getting up early in the morning, doing a full days work, giving away the best hours of the day. Coming back, not really being able to do anything major.

Weekends spent trying to rest as you're bollixed from the week.

20 days off a year.

Stuck at a desk all day, probably leading to health problems later on.

The hope of not doing it keeps me going but deep down the likliehood is I'll have to keep working.

It could be where you're working.

Look at changing that? Time flies and all that...

Also consider what's coming down the line.

Automation is apparently coming down the tracks which would leave one wondering how exactly we are to survive without the jobs we sometimes hate.

We can't all be supervisors.

Advertisement