Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's going to see the Pope?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

And do you have these issues with the general population, various councils/organisations and the government who knew many of the "dodgy" priests and did nothing about it? It's incredibly naive to believe that only the priests were involved in the child abuse and subsequent cover-ups over decades. But, nah, you'll focus on the Church and heap all the blame on it, and by the manner of your posts, everybody who has served in the Church.

There are millions of people who have served the Church faithfully, and without any connection to the child abuse. You, and others here, with their sweeping statements throw dirt all over them.
    I have an Aunt who is a nun. She's been a nun since she was 15, trained as a nurse, served as a missionary abroad, returned to Ireland working with the poor, and has provided a more help to others than you have. Your stance on the child abuse labels her just as much as anyone else.
    I do understand the outrage about the Child abuse, but can we have some maturity about it? Be a little bit more reasonable and stop including millions in the behavior of a minority.

agree in principle but it was NOT a "minority" by any manner of means. For every instance of abuse there were those who knew and did nothing. Like the local man at Letterfrack when a lad escaped and knocked at his door, battered and bruised. The whole town knew what went on there. That man took him back, While another helped a lad.
    Anyone who knew and did nothing is implicit in the abuse . As a wise man said, all it takes for evil to flourish is for good folk to stand by and do nothing.

BUT there has to be a time to down weapons and look to the future

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Beginning to think I might cycle! It will definately be quicker even if its a 50 mile trip!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

No, I wont be going as most of the country wont be either. I'm sure the blue rinse brigade will be out in force along with devout Irish No voters and some Poles and Filipinos. The event will get sizable numbers but nowhere near JPII's mega visit in 1979 (which I was at as a 4 year old).

So many still brainwashed by religion and the church. If anything, there seems to be a backlash against athiesm and agnosticism on here. Each to their own. But the church did immense damage to this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yes - but with a guarantee that if you chose to make no donation that you would still get your ticket. I chose to made no donation (which I feel guilty about) but still immeduately was confirmed all the tickets I asked for.Free of charge.

I never suggested otherwise.

wexie wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry, I'd imagine you'll have plenty of opportunity to donate on the day

I'd say the sound from the rattling of buckets will be deafening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I feel sorry for the people that are so indoctrinated, but hey, it's their life and we in the western world are very fortunate to get to live it as we so please. Hopefully it's a good day for everyone taking part and it passes without incident or some idiots protesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Me and 1800 others may or may not make the difficult journey south to dublin for this.
    But we've booked our coach tickets for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    So free tickets became available this morning for the Popes visit to Knock and The Phoenix Park, with Knock already filling its allocation, he must really say a great Mass.

I'm going, didn't get Knock, but did get Phoenix Park. I'm not an overlly religious person, I pick and choose want I want to believe from the bible, I believe that this life we have is not the end. I dont go to Mass every week, I am the Christmas, Weddings, and Funerals kinda person, might only recieve once a year. I have my morals, and know what is right and wrong.
    I would like to think those who attend, do repect that its a religious event, and dont protest. If you want to do that, which I do also respect your reasons and want, hopefully thats done during a none religious part of his trip.

Couldn't be ar**ed going to see the last guy that visited Knock in 1979.
    My mother went with load of neighbours, but myself and the auld fellow quite happily stayed at home.
    Awful fecking day and took me ages to find all the cows in the mist.
    Still more fun than sitting around in the drizzle in Knock.
    Also really peeved that there was shag all on the telly bar the pope.

I had given up on religion as a kid even though still an altar boy.
    Used to get into trouble for discussing Match of the Day at 9 o'clock mass. and my mother wasn't impressed I would sit with all the old lads at mass listening to discussions about silage, hay, the cattlemart.
    Basically everything and anything bar religion and God.

Couldn't care if people go to see this guy, just so long as all the terrible cr** perpetrated by the Roman Catholic church is not suddenly conveniently forgotten.

BTW I wonder what locals he will get to share stage?

The two prominent guys from the last time turned out to be quite happy shagging women, fathering and refusing to acknowledge kids all the while they lectured others about morality and family planning :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

JupiterKid wrote: »
    So many still brainwashed by religion and the church. If anything, there seems to be a backlash against athiesm and agnosticism on here. Each to their own. But the church did immense damage to this country.

I think that's more a backlash against militant atheism, which I can't even get too upset over to be honest.

Absolutely no reason why you can't be an atheist in still be respectful of the fact that some people aren't. I'm not religious in the least but I can still recognize the fact that religion plays in a major part in the lives of a large percentage of the world's population and be respectful of that fact.

Some atheists are like militant vegans : I don't believe and I feel that you shouldn't either...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭gctest50

RobertKK wrote: »
    gctest50 wrote: »
    :eek:

I wouldn't be getting front row seats here - what can you do with an ISIS lad who thinks he's off to meet the four and twenty virgins

It will be airport like security to enter events.

They have a drone unit now :(

ISIS formally announced its drone operation capabilities in January 2017, with the establishment of a new ‘Unmanned Aircraft of the Mujahideen’ unit, a fleet of modified drones equipped with bombs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

No, I wont be going as most of the country wont be either. I'm sure the blue rinse brigade will be out in force along with devout Irish No voters and some Poles and Filipinos. The event will get sizable numbers but nowhere near JPII's mega visit in 1979 (which I was at as a 4 year old).

Crowds are limited compared to 1979 due to health and safety, so it is impossible to get the same numbers.

This is an international event - the world meeting of families, not a local event, there will be people here from around the world attending.

https://www.herald.ie/news/francis-to-draw-thousands-of-overseas-visitors-37045149.html
    Pilgrims from as far afield as China and Africa will take part in festivities linked to the papal visit.

More than 10,000 overseas visitors have already bought tickets to attend the World Meeting of Families (WMOF) at the RDS.

However, numbers are expected to increase dramatically when free tickets to events in Knock and the Phoenix Park are released.

Organisers told the Herald that they have had applications from 114 countries, making this one of the most international gatherings ever held in Ireland.

There is huge interest from the UK, with nearly 700 people from England registering so far.

The US will also be heavily represented. So far, nearly 500 tickets have been sold there.

Another 120 tickets have gone to Canada.

Tickets sold to Spain number 453, Congo 143, South Africa 67, China seven and Saudi Arabia two.

The economic impact of Pope Francis's visit will primarily be felt in Dublin, but organisers believe many visitors will go beyond the capital to see tourist sites around the country.

It is great for the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Why don't the trendy atheists understand that some people need the idea of God to help them in life? Instead of constantly sneering at them, why not respect that. I don't believe in God but I can't join the new atheist mob. For example, I wouldn't have the arrogance to sneer at a mother who prays every night that she will see her dead child in another life. Or I wouldn't scoff at the local prayer group who visit the sick and elderly every evening. Unfortunately I just don't possess that level of arrogance.

The problem is that none of us trendy Atheists have children or mothers, and nobody we know has ever died. We've never had to watch people we love suffer and then be extinguished. We don't love or grieve like normal god-fearing humans, and so we find it really hard to empathize with the rest of you.

Instead we arrogantly float above the mess of human existence, observing but never sullied by any of it.

And of course we'll all have deathbed conversions, which will of course mean that you were RIGHT ALL ALONG SEE?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The problem is that none of us trendy Atheists have children or mothers, and nobody we know has ever died. We've never had to watch people we love suffer and then be extinguished. We don't love or grieve like normal god-fearing humans, and so we find it really hard to empathize with the rest of you.

Instead we arrogantly float above the mess of human existence, observing but never sullied by any of it.

And of course we'll all have deathbed conversions, which will of course mean that you were RIGHT ALL ALONG SEE?

As Dave Allen quite pointedly said
    "if there is a God, I do hope he has a sense of humour".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Pope: Here's something from my new album
    600,000 people: Boooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭gctest50

RobertKK wrote: »

There is huge interest from the UK, with nearly 700 people from England registering so far.

About 1600 people die per day in the UK

700 is not huge interest

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bracken81

No thanks..................I was touched years ago by religion, never again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

jmayo wrote: »

Dave Allen on the subject of God was a genius. I remember shrieking with laughter at him as a kid and KNOWING we should probably switch him over and not sure how guests would react to our families burn in hell humour! He was light years ahead with his sketch on hos first day in school and I still laugh at his first to the graveyard sketch. I suncerly hope God has a sense of humour or it is going to be very hot where I am going!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

gctest50 wrote: »
    About 1600 people die per day in the UK

700 is not huge interest
    +1

We exported 4000 women every year to the UK because of the catholic popes.

700 is nothing.

jmayo wrote: »

Made me think of this :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Does anyone really care what the pope and church have to say about anything anymore i suspect a small and dwindling minority are the only ones that give a frig.

• Advertisement

Dave Allen on the subject of God was a genius. I remember shrieking with laughter at him as a kid and KNOWING we should probably switch him over and not sure how guests would react to our families burn in hell humour! He was light years ahead with his sketch on hos first day in school and I still laugh at his first to the graveyard sketch. I suncerly hope God has a sense of humour or it is going to be very hot where I am going!!!

In the name of the father, the son, and into the hole he goes. Still cracks me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I remember as a child that feeling of having someone looking out for you. As a pretty-much-lifelong athiest / agnostic I was coming of age when Hitchens and Harris were providing those important arguments against theism. Randomness doesn't have the same emotive effect as something divine being slowly revealed. I have on occasion just tried to pretend for a few moments that there is a god and it feels better. I can imagine if I was in a dire situation like having lost a child or being in severe poverty it would calm me, it would help. It would possibly make my future better having the ability to say and believe 'god has a plan', rather than spiting the universe.

I haven't been able to shake the desire for faith, despite agreeing with the rational and factual inconsistencies of religions.

I haven't been able to shake the desire for faith, despite agreeing with the rational and factual inconsistencies of religions.

It's not really something you can fake though is it? Actual faith that is, easy enough to fake having a faith and I believe many many do.

I think that's more a backlash against militant atheism, which I can't even get too upset over to be honest.

Absolutely no reason why you can't be an atheist in still be respectful of the fact that some people aren't. I'm not religious in the least but I can still recognize the fact that religion plays in a major part in the lives of a large percentage of the world's population and be respectful of that fact.

Some atheists are like militant vegans : I don't believe and I feel that you shouldn't either...

If they believe something is harmful, how can they not take the "militant" line? Surely that'd be immoral?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

No, I wont be going as most of the country wont be either. I'm sure the blue rinse brigade will be out in force along with devout Irish No voters.

I'm bringing my mother....one of the 'blue rinse brigade'

She and I both voted yes in SSM and repeal the 8th.

THIS JUST IN:
    Its 2018 you can have faith AND believe in equal rights for all people....And in even more exciting news Not all people are the same :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭lertsnim

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    Shouldn't we book all the tickets and then not show up?

Seems there are people doing that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

I'd probably lose my loyalist credentials if I did, so that would be a no. But good luck to all the real Catholics who will go to see him, not these fake repeal 8th Catholics.

If they believe something is harmful, how can they not take the "militant" line? Surely that'd be immoral?

What's harmful? How is it harmful for a regular Joe Blogs to believe in God? In the way many of your neighbours might do?

You need to make a distinction between the actions of the church as an organisation and the belief people have.

By all means decry all the scandals, there is no denying the church has mishandled many many things and probably still does and there's no denying they have an awful lot to account for.

But that is the church as an organisation overall. Not the actions of the people that want to go see, or at least not the far majority of them. The far majority of these are people living in our communities just living their lives, many of them no better (or worse) people than most of us.

So tell me how is it harmful for them to have a faith?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I thought Frys closing comments in that interview were epic! what was even funnier was the attempt to charge him for Blasphony, what did they expect bringing a known Athiest on a religious programe.
    5starpool wrote: »
    Who attempted to charge him for blasphemy? Someone on social media saying someone should be charged isn't anyone trying to charge him. I assume only the guards (and maybe some other authorities, I don't know) can charge anyone.
    Maybe I picked it up wrong, but there were certainly comments that he should have been charged, how seriously they were taken, or acted on, I dont know.

Either way, it would have been absurd if they were.

An investigation was considered after a viewer complained about Fry's comments. It later transpired that this person did so in order to highlight the stupid absurdity of the law and to show how nonsensical it was.
    I do hope that as much effort goes into repealing this stupid law as went into previous referenda so as people can freely say what they want and not be at fear of idiots trying to block them with the threat of legal action.

#Repeal Blasphemy Law

Gardaí launch blasphemy probe into Stephen Fry comments on 'The Meaning of Life"
    Exclusive: Member of the public reported that comments breached 2009 Blasphemy Law

• Advertisement

What's harmful? How is it harmful for a regular Joe Blogs to believe in God? In the way many of your neighbours might do?

You need to make a distinction between the actions of the church as an organisation and the belief people have.

By all means decry all the scandals, there is no denying the church has mishandled many many things and probably still does and there's no denying they have an awful lot to account for.

But that is the church as an organisation overall. Not the actions of the people that want to go see, or at least not the far majority of them. The far majority of these are people living in our communities just living their lives, many of them no better (or worse) people than most of us.

So tell me how is it harmful for them to have a faith?

That's a big question, about which lots of books have been written. I don't have time to argue a position like that and it wasn't my point.

The point is, many atheists consider religion, including personal faith, to be harmful on balance. I guess many vegans take the same line.

If they really believe that, doesn't it make sense they'd get in people's faces about it? Not be annoying or superior, but because they care that harm is being done?

Advertisement