Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justice League **Spoilers from post 980 onward**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Slydice wrote: »
    This showed up on my youtube

Music feels like it works in the screen

Works better than what we got but still doesn't feel right. Just makes me yearn for what we should have got.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Agree. It feels right but the brighter colouring and some of the lines didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I watched this last night and although the start of it felt very disjointed (perhaps due to the re-shoots, etc.), I was starting to enjoy it by the end. Having said that, the CGI is awful. Truly terrible. It looks very poor and very jarring when you can tell most of the film is green screen. The scene where the league fights Superman is obviously a sound stage, even some of the surfaces the actors are walking on look fake. I can only guess that because of the re-shoots the CGI team were under a lot of pressure to get the film out on time and didn't have an opportunity to polish the effects. Some of the worst CGI I have seen in a modern blockbuster.

There was quite a bit to enjoy in the film though. Flash was good, I thought the humour that character brought to the film was on point and just under the radar enough to get a laugh, but not really affect the overall tone of the film. I keep hearing that there is a Snyder cut, or an extended cut, but we won't be getting it in the first DVD release. I would be really interested in seeing an extended cut of this film. I felt it was a little rushed in parts and maybe the disjointedness of the first half of the film could have been expanded upon a little to create a more wholesome film.

All things considered (the re-shoots, Snyder's daughter dying, Whedon coming in, time pressure), its not an awful film. I switched off the brain and enjoyed it, to be honest. Not sure what was the point of the Russian family... to remind us of the human element? In short, I think I enjoyed this film more than its opposite: Avengers. I wanted to know more about the Flash's background and I enjoyed the solemn, patient, calculated performance of Cyborg. Avengers, to me, is a giant blur filled with very little substance. I think there is a little more substance to the League franchise over the Avengers one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Falthyron wrote: »
    I watched this last night and although the start of it felt very disjointed (perhaps due to the re-shoots, etc.), I was starting to enjoy it by the end. Having said that, the CGI is awful. Truly terrible. It looks very poor and very jarring when you can tell most of the film is green screen. The scene where the league fights Superman is obviously a sound stage, even some of the surfaces the actors are walking on look fake. I can only guess that because of the re-shoots the CGI team were under a lot of pressure to get the film out on time and didn't have an opportunity to polish the effects. Some of the worst CGI I have seen in a modern blockbuster.

There was quite a bit to enjoy in the film though. Flash was good, I thought the humour that character brought to the film was on point and just under the radar enough to get a laugh, but not really affect the overall tone of the film. I keep hearing that there is a Snyder cut, or an extended cut, but we won't be getting it in the first DVD release. I would be really interested in seeing an extended cut of this film. I felt it was a little rushed in parts and maybe the disjointedness of the first half of the film could have been expanded upon a little to create a more wholesome film.

All things considered (the re-shoots, Snyder's daughter dying, Whedon coming in, time pressure), its not an awful film. I switched off the brain and enjoyed it, to be honest. Not sure what was the point of the Russian family... to remind us of the human element? In short, I think I enjoyed this film more than its opposite: Avengers. I wanted to know more about the Flash's background and I enjoyed the solemn, patient, calculated performance of Cyborg. Avengers, to me, is a giant blur filled with very little substance. I think there is a little more substance to the League franchise over the Avengers one.

Ah I wouldn’t say it’s better than the avengers...more substance to the justice league over marvels equivalent!? How do you make that out? There is a fraction of the setup movies for DC as there are for Marvel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Ah I wouldn’t say it’s better than the avengers...more substance to the justice league over marvels equivalent!? How do you make that out? There is a fraction of the setup movies for DC as there are for Marvel

Music is a big thing for me. I can't recall any pieces of iconic music from the Avengers, but there are some wonderful themes in DC's Batman/Superman/League films.

As for setup, I haven't really watched many of the Marvel character films. The same can be said for DC's, although there has only really been Man of Steel. As stand-alone films, I find the DC ensemble to have more substance than the Marvel one. Maybe, I just prefer the darker tones, but there is something a bit too 'light' about Marvels and I think it suffers diminishing returns by having too many heroes on screen; there is very little time afforded to developing each character. It just isn't possible in a two or two and half hour film. Hence the character based films, I guess.

• Advertisement

See Gee Eye! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It's funny. I just watched this there, and there were quite a lot of head in hands it was so terrible moments, wheteher from CGI, **** monologuing, Galbot attempting to do an act, or the generally terrible dialogue, but I wasn't bored either so that's something.

I can't really pick anything good out of it, but it was a string of somewhat stimulating flashing lights and noises, and the occasional amusing quip.

Utterly forgettable, but that's good and bad, because it wasn't offensive and I'm not annoyed about it like I have been about some terrible films. I will continue not going to see any DC films in the cinema. So far I haven't regretted that decision.

Even Wonder Woman was bang average, sort of Thor: The Dark World level if you're comparing across IPs, and even that generous a rating is quite a lot down to getting to look at Gal Gadot for an extended period of time. Good lord that woman.

I wonder what it'll take for them to stop flogging this DCCU horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

We're how many films in now, 5?

Man of Steel: Very average
    Dawn of Justice: Horse poop
    Suicide Squad: Worse than a horse's poop's poop
    Wonder Woman: Average
    Justice League: Very very very very very average

Wonder Woman is simple the best of a bad lot. Justice League, while not as bad as Dawn of Justice (which should have just been called Dawn of Justice and not with the prefix 'Batman v Superman') or Suicide Squad, was still pretty damn bad. It was all over the place. Bruce's pathetic 'Superman was a symbol of hope' malarchy. So he went from 'Superman hater' to 'symbol of hope' just like that? Rubbish. Even going back to Dawn of Justice when he had the kryptonite spear in hand and the only thing that stopped him from shving it through Superman's chest was "Martha!!!".

I absolutely hated the way Supes was resurrected. What the hell was the point of that screen at the end of Dawn of Justice showing the dirt levitating above his coffin when he was just gonna be brought back by some completely BS motherbox hacking? Then there was the fight between him and the team. As strong as Supes is, he should not be able to completely destroy Aquaman or Wonder Woman as he did, the latter especially.

Hopefully Flashpoint will do a much better job... though I'm thinking it's too late to save the DCEU now. Give it a few years and reboot it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭Penn

jaxxx wrote: »
    Then there was the fight between him and the team. As strong as Supes is, he should not be able to completely destroy Aquaman or Wonder Woman as he did, the latter especially.

In fairness, that could be explained by way of the rest of the JL trying to contain Supes and purposefully trying to not hurt him, whereas Superman was somewhat feral and unleashing on all of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Penn wrote: »
    In fairness, that could be explained by way of the rest of the JL trying to contain Supes and purposefully trying to not hurt him, whereas Superman was somewhat feral and unleashing on all of them.

Yeah maybe, still think it was way OTT though.

In other news (unofficial/yet-to-be-confirmed): there are rumours aflutter on the internet that
    Tom Cruise is to play Green Lantern
    ... Yup DCEU definitely dead if that's true!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

where did you read that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Think it's just people putting 2 and 2 together because the director of one of the mission impossible films is meant to be doing Green Lantern.

Actually think Cruise could make a good villain at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Think it's just people putting 2 and 2 together because the director of one of the mission impossible films is meant to be doing Green Lantern.

I'd suggest M.O.D.O.K, but he's a different universe... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,183 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Based on the speculation I assume GL would be outside of the Universe that we have currently had (if it exists anymore).
    Speculation has Cruise as Hal Jordan, mentoring John Stewert (SP?).

On the face of it that could be a good story and a good movie, but if Jordan is mentoring Stewert, then he has been a lantern for a while and just straight up ignored Zod/Doomsday/Steppnwolfe? Seems even more unbelievable than the missing Avengers in Marvel movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I only seen this at the weekend, wanted top avoid it as long as possible after BvS.

I'm glad I didnt pay money to see it anyway, put it that way, which is where I stand on Suicide Squad, which I still havent seen, nor am I in a rush to get too.

It seemed rushed and lot of the "jokes" between the cast were pretty terrible, IMO.

I watched a fan edit of it last week titled Justice League Ultimate Fan Cut or something along those lines. Seems to have been taken off vimeo now though. I'm sure it's not too difficult to track it down.

It cuts a lot of the unnecessary jokes out and removes the down right weird jokes (Martha calling Lois a thirsty young woman). In truth I think it's a better cut of the film.

It adds back in the Superman and Alfred scene and uses some scenes from BvS to remind the audience where we are with the story. I think it uses the original music as well. It can feel like it moves through the plot very quickly though and that's probably because of how the original movie was cut with the same problem.

Overall I was impressed by the work done by a couple of fans. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I watched this last night. I think because I was expecting it to be utter muck, in the end I thought it was. . .alright. There's a lot that you need to overlook or you'll get annoyed e.g. did WW needs to explain the whip thing?, some of the dialog - "thirsty", really? The CGI was terrible. What did Aqua bring to the party apart from some dodgy lines? I'm sure there's more I've forgotten.

In saying that, some of the jokes landed with me, it's nice that they're used sparingly as opposed to Avengers where it's non-stop (in the face of the end of the world, cool the quips, seriously). So all in all, I didn't hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Haven't seen this yet, but why is it that studios feel the need to force "jokes"? Do they think that audiences can't take some tension or drama for any sustained period of time?

I can't understand this modern cinematic obsession with trying to land a smart arsed remark or quip, especially at the most inopportune moments. It rarely clicks and comes off as desperate most of the time. Not only that, they often wreck a scene completely.

It's interesting to see that in a lot of fanedits, the first thing to go is usually the shitty attempts at humour that studios jam into films, because it's largely unfunny and compelled upon the writers (who aren't comedians) by figures other than themselves.

Unlike a lot of folk I actually liked 'Mand of Steel' and 'Batman vs Superman', but I've heard so much bad feedback about 'The Justice League', I might just skip the theatrical cut altogether and go straight for the fanedit IncognitoMan mentioned.

One of things I absolutely loath is bad humour - and obviously bad humour - in movies. All of that shit used to end up on the cutting room floor. Now, it's shoehorned in.

That fan edit seems to have been taken down but I'm sure you could find it somewhere.

I thought it was better than the theatrical cut anyway. Some of the "Jokes" in the theatrical are painful alright.

After a bit of distance, I would say Justice League actually ended up being the weakest of the DC films just above Suicide Squad for me. It felt like it tried to copy the Marvel formula but because it tried to change halfway through the making of it, JL ending up being nothing really. I liked BvS and Man of Steel as well but this isnt like those. There's hints of that style there but it's covered in Joss Whedon's style.

But yeah the fan edit, I'd recommend it even if it is possibly a bit rough with cuts in places. Still for the film, I would keep expectations low and maybe you'll enjoy it a bit more :pac:

• Advertisement

Joss Whedon?

I'm even less bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Tony EH wrote: »
    Haven't seen this yet, but why is it that studios feel the need to force "jokes"? Do they think that audiences can't take some tension or drama

Because when the jokes land it makes a better film, in infinity war and GOGalaxy the humour makes the film far more entertaining but when jokes don't land they stand out like a sore thumb. I seen justice league and I can't remember what it was about. Wonder woman is the only recent DC film that was any good

Greyfox wrote: »
    Because when the jokes land it makes a better film,

Not always.

Even if they're humorous, they can destroy the mood of a scene.

But, far too often, they're not even remotely humorous and can end up wrecking the entire film.

Yeah, Ah most of his Jokes are cut in the fan film. Google Justice League Reborn and reddit has it.

Actually this is my first time seeing the poster for it. My god is it beautiful. Too big to link though and I'm too lazy to resize.

https://i.imgur.com/dRiQ0Mt.jpg

Edit: Actually Justice League Reborn might be a different fan edit to the one I seen. I seen Justice League Ultimate fan cut. My bad. It's very confusing :pac:

Not always.

But, far too often, they're not even remotely humorous and can end up wrecking the entire film.

I said it at the time but with JL you can tell the jokes were added in after, almost like they are trying to hit a gag quota or something at times.

Batman flips between dark/moody/weight of the world on his shoulders and telling jokes way too much in the film. You can clearly see it has two different directors with two different styles giving input on the character and it lessens his scenes hugely.

Usually I recommend the Ultimate Cut of BvS.

I think this is the cut of JL for that:
    https://vimeo.com/276498216

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Einstrahlung50

Thor Ragnorak was spoiled with too many jokes, the scenes lose their impact if you go over the top trying to add humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Zack Snyder gave some big information about JL in his recent Q&A out in the U.S.

He said that there was a total of 10 cuts made for JL. One of those cuts that is finished is the definitive cut which lasts for 214 minutes or 3 hours 34 minutes. It is not a chopped up of the movie at all. Every scene filmed Snyder's definitive version of the movie is in there. But he said the VFX & score are not finished on the movie. The movie should be released on home video when it's approved by Warner Brothers. But there is no definitive timeline for it yet.

Snyder also confirmed that Joss Whedon's version of the film was a rewrite of his story to shorten it even further.

More details about what's been done with JL is here on Reddit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I saw that Snyder said that the original script that was initially approved before BvS went out the window as well, so what we ended up getting was a Whedon bastardisation of a bastardisation already undertook by Snyder on his own vision. What an utter hatchet job WB did on this film.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 101 ✭✭Sabrebo

Not always.

Thor Ragnorak would be the perfect example, the tone was ruined with too many jokes, jokes that put people out of character to fit them in.

Advertisement