Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 HighTower16

Thanks for all the info so far.

Has anyone used hrbr and what was there experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭St1mpMeister

Thanks for all the info so far.

Has anyone used hrbr and what was there experience.

They're supposed to be well expensive from what I hear. Maybe they've dropped prices due to competition tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Hey speedboat chase just wondering how your hair is these days,  hairloss is quite simply ruining my life at the moment and im nervous about transplant as i have seen alot of bad results.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Hey iebamm,

Here are a few images from my last haircut, a few weeks ago. In general looks good although what I've noticed (it's not so noticeable here) is that the temples are definitely thinner than say, 2 years ago. I think what's happening is that the remaining hair around that area is falling out, leaving only transplanted hairs. It's not a big deal, although I think I will probably have my second and final transplant in a year or so, with a bit of work on the temples and the rest on the crown.

https://imgur.com/a/F66Rb
    https://imgur.com/a/hcACA
    https://imgur.com/a/rZXOf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

man that looks like one of the best transplants i have seen, do you still take fin?

• Advertisement

Oh thanks. Yeah I still take it, but in pretty small amounts. I buy it over the counter where I live and split it into six pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Emerald99

Hi All

I have a query on hair transplants. I am in my late 20s and have been losing my hair for a number of years. I have been a patient of HRBR for roughly 5 years. A few months ago I raised the prospect of a hair transplant with the clinic. I received a consultation advising that the cost would be €15,000 for 1,500 grafts. I feel that this is an extremely high quote.

I understand that HRBR has the best reputation in the country and I have been very pleased with their service to date. However, I do want to get a second quote. Can anyone please recommend another reputable hair transplant clinic in Ireland to me? I am wary of going to a clinic of poor quality for a quote.

I am considering visiting Dr Andre Nel at the Hair, Skin, Wellness clinic as he appears to have quite a good reputation online. Does anybody have any experience here?

Many thanks for your help! All very much appreciated!!

Emerald99 wrote: »
    I received a consultation advising that the cost would be €15,000 for 1,500 grafts.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I had no idea they were charging that much. I hadn't bothered checking them out when I went shopping around as I'd heard they were pricey, but assumed it was only like an extra 20% more than most places were charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wetlandsboy

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I had no idea they were charging that much. I hadn't bothered checking them out when I went shopping around as I'd heard they were pricey, but assumed it was only like an extra 20% more than most places were charging.

Yeah, I very much agree. Presumably for this price, it is FUE? If it is FUT, that is an absolutely ridiculously high price. For context, I had around 3500 grafts (by FUT) by Jean Devroye in Brussels in 2010 for around €11k.
    Does anyone have any experience of André Nell?

Yeah, I very much agree. Presumably for this price, it is FUE? If it is FUT, that is an absolutely ridiculously high price. For context, I had around 3500 grafts (by FUT) by Jean Devroye in Brussels in 2010 for around €11k.
    Does anyone have any experience of André Nell?

Nah even for FUE that's a ridiculous price. Pretty much double (or more) what other places in Dublin are charging for FUE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Patient11

Emerald99 wrote: »
    I understand that HRBR has the best reputation in the country and I have been very pleased with their service to date. !

HRBR's "good reputation" is largely a product of good PR.

Remember there are no world class hair transplant surgeon's in Ireland.

All the best hair transplant Docs are in North America and mainland Europe.

If you go on to any of the hair loss forums you won't find anyone who recommends HRBR as a world class clinic. They may be the "best in Ireland" but that's not saying much.

You can get a better hair transplant done in the states for half the price HRBR charge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Jetstone

I'd prefer not to travel abroad for a hair transplant, does anyone know if the Ailesbury clinic are any good at hair transplants?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 A few pints lad

Yeah has anyone any reviews of ailesbury clinic ?

Yeah has anyone any reviews of ailesbury clinic ?

lots of discussion of Ailesbury in this thread :D

A few of us have gone and it's worked out well. I'll probably stick up before/after pics closer to end of summer once significant growth is there (baby hairs right now).

• Registered Users Posts: 35,569 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

lots of discussion of Ailesbury in this thread :D

A few of us have gone and it's worked out well. I'll probably stick up before/after pics closer to end of summer once significant growth is there (baby hairs right now).

How is progress. You're 6 months out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Heiser

Can anyone recommend a good hair transplant doctor in Europe somewhere. I know Dr Saifi was mentioned but he gas a one year waiting list

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Question for the OP: Did you request that they didn't shave your head before the procedure? I've noticed with most transplants, they shave the entire head before the surgery.

Results look great, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

I had mine done and didn't shave my head. Just had to grow it to a certain length beforehand so the bit they shaved would be covered by other hair.

I had mine done and didn't shave my head. Just had to grow it to a certain length beforehand so the bit they shaved would be covered by other hair.

Where did you get it done, how long ago.
    How much
    What were results

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Where did you get it done, how long ago.
    How much
    What were results

Only got it done around March, they say it takes about 4 months for them to start growing properly but I can see that has begun already. Not long enough to make a difference visibly just yet.

It was 2,500 for 2000 hairs, I got a discount as mentioned boards.ie as they had a discount at the time. I'll have to go back for another 2000 next year as couldn't afford it all in one go.

• Advertisement

Only got it done around March, they say it takes about 4 months for them to start growing properly but I can see that has begun already. Not long enough to make a difference visibly just yet.

It was 2,500 for 2000 hairs, I got a discount as mentioned boards.ie as they had a discount at the time. I'll have to go back for another 2000 next year as couldn't afford it all in one go.

That was with Ailesbury hair clinic? Where did you get hairs placed, 2000 hairs? How many grafts is that 700?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Hey folks,

I travelled to Izmir in 2014 to get a transplant, a place called Clinichair. A fellow boardsie recommended it.

I got 4500 grafts and will post pics in a bit.

IIRC I paid about 2.5k and am happy with the results.

They did take some hair from the side of the head (think above and to the front of the ear) and those areas are slightly lighter in terms of density now.

My hair however is very fine and I went to Dr. Nell in Malahide, who prescribed Finasteride. I've been taking it for 2 years with zero side effects. I take half a tablet 3 times a week.

I got a complete MOT done earlier this year and all is perfectly in order.

I was on to to the Clinic who offer a free 1000 graft touch-up. When I mentioned taking Fin, they advised that I stop doing so and recommended mesotherapy, or PRP.

Has anyone any experience with the two methods they suggested?

Also considering the tricopigmentation. Dr. Nell offered it for 1000e for the top and crown.

Thanks

everlast75 wrote: »
    Hey folks,

I travelled to Izmir in 2014 to get a transplant, a place called Clinichair. A fellow boardsie recommended it.

I got 4500 grafts and will post pics in a bit.

IIRC I paid about 2.5k and am happy with the results.

They did take some hair from the side of the head (think above and to the front of the ear) and those areas are slightly lighter in terms of density now.

My hair however is very fine and I went to Dr. Nell in Malahide, who prescribed Finasteride. I've been taking it for 2 years with zero side effects. I take half a tablet 3 times a week.

I got a complete MOT done earlier this year and all is perfectly in order.

I was on to to the Clinic who offer a free 1000 graft touch-up. When I mentioned taking Fin, they advised that I stop doing so and recommended mesotherapy, or PRP.

Has anyone any experience with the two methods they suggested?

Also considering the tricopigmentation. Dr. Nell offered it for 1000e for the top and crown.

Thanks

Thats a very good price considering the amount of grafts. Quick question do they need to shave your entire head? I have a strong widows peak and would need that filled in but I don't like the idea of my head being shaved full for it.

Thats a very good price considering the amount of grafts. Quick question do they need to shave your entire head? I have a strong widows peak and would need that filled in but I don't like the idea of my head being shaved full for it.

yes! They did.

I shaved my head to about a 2 for a few weeks before so my friends and co-workers got used to it.

I opted to work from home for 2 weeks after the op. For those that saw me then, I said I was away and suffered a reaction to the sun cream.

When it grew out, no one either noticed or decided to say anything about. I think 3 people noticed.

On their website, they said that they can now do the op for some without shaving the hair, which would be my preferred option anyway.

I'm waiting to hear back from them at the moment.

Some more info for those that are interested.

Clinichair got back to me.

They recommend that i get "the full package" which they say is around 3750 grafts. Because I get 1000 free after my last visit, the cost will be between €1100 to €1250. that will include 2 x PRP treatments, 2 nights stay in the hotel and collection to and drop off to the airport.

I asked about the need to shave the head and they said they recommend that.

I asked if I could get the micro-pigmentation done as a stop gap between now and when I would be thinking of going again (end of July next year) and she said that they would prefer if I did not get that done as it would be more difficult for them to see where the implants would need to go.

The donor site would be at the tape of the neck.

Just to advise that when I saw Dr. Nell after the operation, he was slightly critical in terms of the hairline and also opined that I did not get the amount of grafts I was told I got. Just an FYI

Have an appointment for Ailesbury for next week. €50 for 30 min consult.
    I'm hoping for the possibility of an op without shaving the head and for the cost to be "reasonable". Otherwise, it may be Izmir again next summer.
    Anyone else any news on their situation?

PaddyBomb wrote: »
    Question for the OP: Did you request that they didn't shave your head before the procedure? I've noticed with most transplants, they shave the entire head before the surgery.

Results look great, by the way.
    Hi Paddy. They just shaved the donor area for me (sides and back of head).

Have an appointment for Ailesbury for next week. €50 for 30 min consult.
    I'm hoping for the possibility of an op without shaving the head and for the cost to be "reasonable". Otherwise, it may be Izmir again next summer.
    Anyone else any news on their situation?

Just a follow up from my consult....

Price non negotiable. Availability from December.

Was told the work in izmir was okay.

Due to the density in the middle third and back of top of the head, they could only really with with the front third.

Here is the email i received after the consultation. By the way - op would take 4-6 hours.

"I have spoken with your consultant and she has explained that you have a rich donor area and you are a very good candidate for this procedure. Which of course is good news.

You are in need of up to 3000 hairs for greater density in zone A. The price for your procedure is 4000 Euros. We will also include a free density session in ten months time if more is needed.

As you know we do not carry out the strip surgery procedure which is less expensive and which creates severe linear scarring. Our technique is time consuming, meticulous work which creates extremely natural results, as well as leaving the donor site looking as it did before without ugly scars etc.

The hairs will begin growing through the skin in 8 weeks and then full growth is completed in approximately 8 to 9 months. We will then invite you to attend an evaluation to check your growth.

The procedure is fully guaranteed in writing."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

everlast75 wrote:
    You are in need of up to 3000 hairs for greater density in zone A. The price for your procedure is 4000 Euros. We will also include a free density session in ten months time if more is needed.

sounds good I wouldn't mind paying a bit more if they have a good track record

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 ceistagam

Just a follow up from my consult....

Price non negotiable. Availability from December.

Was told the work in izmir was okay.

Due to the density in the middle third and back of top of the head, they could only really with with the front third.

Here is the email i received after the consultation. By the way - op would take 4-6 hours.

"I have spoken with your consultant and she has explained that you have a rich donor area and you are a very good candidate for this procedure. Which of course is good news.

As you know we do not carry out the strip surgery procedure which is less expensive and which creates severe linear scarring. Our technique is time consuming, meticulous work which creates extremely natural results, as well as leaving the donor site looking as it did before without ugly scars etc.

The hairs will begin growing through the skin in 8 weeks and then full growth is completed in approximately 8 to 9 months. We will then invite you to attend an evaluation to check your growth.

The procedure is fully guaranteed in writing."

I too have had a consultation with Lorraine in Ailesbury (cost €50) some time back and I am still considering my options. Consultation went well but it was pretty much what I had heard from other consultations at other clinics.

Really I would want to meet with the surgeon and a previous client as I do find it a daunting task to establish the best clinic to go with. In saying that I have found many positive comments on Ailesbury online but for me it is about seeing and hearing this first hand. Something I am surprised clinics don't offer as standard procedure.

Advertisement