Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How not to cycle past a horse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Just wait until this incident hits the Journal.ie.... All out war on everyone who owns a bicycle will rain down...

It was the UK wasn't it, we might be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,035 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cython wrote: »
    In all seriousness though, those lads passing on the inside would have been well served by a belt off the horse, they'd not try the same again.
    i've seen what a glancing blow off a horse can do - my wife was grooming one after a ride and whatever happened; whether a fly bit it or she somehow tickled it, it basically shook its leg, and caught her a glancing blow on the side of the knee. within a day, my wife's leg looked like she'd been shot with a rubber bullet. an inch to the left, and it would have probably shattered her knee, and this was not even a kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

As a rider that’s Blood boiling. I’d have loved to see one of them get a well deserved kick resulting in a nice hospital stay:mad:.

Falling onto tarmac head first from a horse is lethal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

sin_26 wrote: »
    Yeah every1 are so quick to judge and call out guys but all riding in the group know that if one lad on the front screw things up it will make a pile behind eventually. It`s probably the one on the front fcuked up with giving information about hazards

Nah, as individuals they were all dicks and culpable

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i might be displaying ignorance about racing, but they were not 'riding in a group'; this was not an organised club ride with a leader and a clear etiquette for calling out obstacles and cars, they were racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

i might be displaying ignorance about racing, but they were not 'riding in a group'; this was not an organised club ride with a leader and a clear etiquette for calling out obstacles and cars, they were racing.

Even more than racing, it was a triathlon where drafting is expressly prohibited (as opposed to some being draft-legal these days), so group riding shouldn't be a thing for the event in question. Generally in a road race where group riding is permitted, there would be some culpability on the riders in front, but IMHO it's every rider for themselves in that triathlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Jeff2

No reason for a call out.
    If you use the road you should be well able to slow down and avoid a horse.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

That looks like the fella at the front of that group didn’t warn anyone and nobody else seen it coming.

If a car hit a cyclist on the basis that the car in front didnt warn him and he didnt see it coming, who do you think would be held liable?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭sin_26

Jeff2 wrote: »
    No reason for a call out.
    If you use the road you should be well able to slow down and avoid a horse.

Yeah sure... that`s what i did when when i used to race back times. Always expect unexpected buahaha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....I assume it run was on open roads too which calls into question marshalling of the event......
    Marshals may have been posted at junctions, bends etc. The horse and rider may have emerged from a house/farm onto a public road and marshals may not have been aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Isn’t there a triathlon forum that this should be in? These are not normal cyclists.

Idiots though partucuarly cycling up the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,010 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Pricks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Yeah every1 are so quick to judge and call out guys but all riding in the group know that if one lad on the front screw things up it will make a pile behind eventually. It`s probably the one on the front fcuked up with giving information about hazards

You serious! It's a bloody HORSE not a pothole! I suspect they were cycling with their heads down and were not looking ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Why is the horse on the road anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Yeah sure... that`s what i did when when i used to race back times. Always expect unexpected buahaha.

If you are a road user just like in a car or on motorbikes you watch where you are going and if you see a horse act as people have said.

Do some people ride on the road and need to be told what is ahead of them.?

They are permitted on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,035 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Its helicopter is in for a service?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Totally reckless cycling and every one of those cyclists should be disqualified!
    Most of the cyclists in that video didn't do anything wrong; one or two idiots flying up the inside and colliding with the horse/carriage did.
    nee wrote: »
    we slow right down and ask the rider if it's ok to pass.
    Slow down if necessary, and give plenty of room as always, same as overtaking any vehicle on the road. Asking the rider if it's ok to pass is taking the piss however.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

As stupid as the cyclists were I can't understand why horses are allowed on public roads. If an animal get's scared of loud and sudden noises then the road is not a place for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Lumen wrote: »
    Its helicopter is in for a service?

They should mention that on their website all they mention is the following

Upper Yard is located at Grange Hill Farm nestled in the beautiful surroundings of the Cotswolds. It’s easy to see why Fergal is so enthusiastic as the facilities are second-to-none with:

53 newly refurbished stables

Office and owners room

2 all weather gallops, both against the collar

Five flights of hurdles and fences on grass gallops

A horse walker

Equine swimming pool

On-site veterinary care

gctest50 wrote: »
    Yer woman on the horse has "priority" over some gimp in a td[c]iiiiiii[/c]

Does “driver” legally mean a cyclist? Genuine question as I don’t know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Lumen wrote: »
    Whatever about the thoughtlessness, the lack of self preservation instinct is amazing.

I pass horses on the extreme right whilst freewheeling so they can hear me coming. Calling out seems excessive.

It really isn't. If you're on a young horse you're going to be very grateful of the notice of cyclists behind you - and prepare for the the possible imminent sideways/upwards movement of your mount. It doesn't have to be loud, you shouldn't ever shout, but it makes things a lot easier to make yourself known. Riding horses isn't a quiet activity, although it might look like it!

Nope, I have never been in a race where I've missed a massive obstacle - in fact a few weeks ago was coming into a finish of a bunch sprint and marshalls had allowed a car to go down, which stopped 150m from the line. None of us managed to go into it, although admittedly it was a near run thing. I've never been in a bunch and not seen traffic coming the other way.
    Everyone is responsible for looking ahead of them.
    It wasn't anywhere near a tight racing bunch, they have eyes that see, although in this case blinded by near and total ignorance.
    Most of the cyclists in that video didn't do anything wrong; one or two idiots flying up the inside and colliding with the horse/carriage did.

Slow down if necessary, and give plenty of room as always, same as overtaking any vehicle on the road. Asking the rider if it's ok to pass is taking the piss however.

Every single one of them did something extremely inexcusably dangerous. Passing horses at that speed with no warning is potentially lethal, and that is no exaggeration. I thought the first two were the point of the video, and couldn't believe it would get any more thick, ignorant and outright dangerous. Then, somewhat incredibly it did.

It is always, ALWAYS necessary 100% of the time when encountering a horse(s) on the road to slow down to an almost stop, make yourself known to the rider(s) and only proceed when they're happy for you to do so.

I'd love to put those saying you don't need to make yourself known/slow down for horses on a 3 year old out on the road for the first time. Fcuk sake.

As cyclists we ask that drivers have a little empathy towards us, to have some consideration and not drive in such a way as to endanger our lives. Drivers frequently fail to understand how vulnerable we are in certain situations. That cyclists can't extend the same curtesy to another road user boggles my mind. It boggles my mind that people have to be told how to cycle by horses anyway*, but that's another thing. I've enlightened several in my own club, once they are told they understand. Anyone reading this thread now knows better. Not slowing the fcuk down and waiting to pass until acknowledged when coming up on horses from either direction is wilfully ignorant.

*ETA: This is a little unfair as not everyone will have encountered horses or indeed any animals on the road, or had any dealings with large animals at all. Now they know what to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Afaik a person in charge of animals can stop traffic if they are on the road, I assume traffic means everything walkers cyclist and cars etc. Common sense. You can control your vehicle or bike. While most animals being moved on the road are controlled, in terms of direction of travel, in close contact unpredictability is a given particularly large animals like horses where a kick could injure someone or damage a car or in this case dismount the rider

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I'm actually surprised none of them got kicked or injured. They all cycled way too close to the horse, that if the horse spooked at something in the hedge, any one of them could have been flattened. How the ones that cycled in a herd around the horse didn't get kicked, I don't know. That is one very quiet and sensible horse for tolerating it as well as it did.

I had a horse gallop about a mile down a road because a cyclist snuck up behind it and then didn't bother stopping. When the horse spun around to check where the cyclist went, he tried to cycle behind the horse on a narrow country road... which resulted in me asking (admittedly yelling) him if he had a death wish.

I mean, it's not just for the sake of the horse and rider, but for the cyclist's sake too. A cyclist's head is in a very nice kicking position for most horses. A kick in the head from a horse will kill you. It takes just a minute to stop and think about the situation. A horse is far less likely to spook if there's no sudden noises or something suddenly doesn't enter into their field of vision. They also spook at new things. Positive experiences with a cyclist will mean the horse will likely stay as calm as it was at the start of the video. One negative experience (such as the end of the video) may put a horse off cyclists for life.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    You serious! It's a bloody HORSE not a pothole! I suspect they were cycling with their heads down and were not looking ahead.

Once you try real racing you will understand how serious i am not to mention proper group ride. But yeah... It`s a horse in the middle of RACING. Blame racers for racing... not organiser...meh...

Like here:
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/video-horrifying-headon-collision-at-finishing-line-leads-to-17-cyclists-being-hospitalised-34217158.html

Stupid idiots havn`t seen other idiots aproaching. Blame racers <----logic?

Mooooo wrote: »
    Afaik a person in charge of animals can stop traffic if they are on the road, I assume traffic means everything walkers cyclist and cars etc. Common sense. You can control your vehicle or bike. While most animals being moved on the road are controlled, in terms of direction of travel, in close contact unpredictability is a given particularly large animals like horses where a kick could injure someone or damage a car or in this case dismount the rider

Came up recently enough on the thread here, from what I recall even someone moving cattle or sheep has this right. I can understand why for all involved.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

As stupid as the cyclists were I can't understand why horses are allowed on public roads. If an animal get's scared of loud and sudden noises then the road is not a place for them.

Horse were on the road before a every other form of transport (bar walking). They have as much right to be there as anyone or anything else. Sure why are cyclists allowed in the road? Why are people allowed to walk on the road? Why are children allowed to walk on the road? They're all more vulnerable than motor traffic. :rolleyes:
    They should mention that on their website all they mention is the following

Upper Yard is located at Grange Hill Farm nestled in the beautiful surroundings of the Cotswolds. It’s easy to see why Fergal is so enthusiastic as the facilities are second-to-none with:

53 newly refurbished stables

Office and owners room

2 all weather gallops, both against the collar

Five flights of hurdles and fences on grass gallops

A horse walker

Equine swimming pool

On-site veterinary care

And your point is? They have as much right to be on the road as any one or anything else. They were there before motorised traffic hit the road. It's also an important part of their education to do roadwork, and is often part of varying routine, and also part of strengthening up legs when bringing in horses at the start of a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Should cyclists be on the road because they wobble and hold up cars? I mean, of all people to be critical of another vulnerable road user being on the roads, I would have thought cyclists would be one of the last due to the similarities.

Horses can be trained to be quiet on the road. Roadwork has many many benefits for the horse, which is why it gets used (and we have no bridle paths). However, this must be trained with positive experiences, and lots of them. The more a horse uses the road, the more used to it it gets.

• Advertisement

Jeff2 wrote: »
    If you are a road user just like in a car or on motorbikes you watch where you are going and if you see a horse act as people have said.

Do some people ride on the road and need to be told what is ahead of them.?

Do some people know what is the difference between causally spinning to bar for coffee and muffin and a RACE?

Advertisement