Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thumb tacks in Howth today

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

eh... i'm not saying it's the entire community of howth who are sprinkling tacks on the road. it's clearly just one person or very few; and since i obviously wasn't clear about it, the fact that there were anti-cycling posters put up a year or two ago would lead me to believe that *if* this was a malicious act towards cyclists, it could be the same person in each occurrence.

Point taken, just jumping to the defense of my area.

I stand over objecting to the other comments about money/class, people of howth being ‘proud’ of this individual. They’re just cheap shots imo, just like those we encounter on the bike from others daily

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Ferris wrote: »
    Point taken, just jumping to the defense of my area... They’re just cheap shots imo, just like those we encounter on the bike from others daily
    Let's see if we can find some expensive shots that are more to your taste ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Just to add my post wasn't generalising all Howth residents and I don't think others were either, I actually live within 10k of Howth and I cycle there a few times a week training. It's quite clearly one person who has an issue with cyclists, I just think it's worth documenting these instances. It was a major kick in the balls to our charity cycle on Saturday (which I was co-organising) and having to fix a lot of punctures.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,956 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I wonder by highlighting it here will it encourage more idiots to do likewise?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Ferris wrote: »
    Point taken, just jumping to the defense of my area.

I stand over objecting to the other comments about money/class, people of howth being ‘proud’ of this individual. They’re just cheap shots imo, just like those we encounter on the bike from others daily
    Stop being so precious. People are concerned about the safety of cyclists on the roads and those who would cause cyclists harm, not your "area".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Has anyone affected by this reported it to the Gardai, the race organisers or the Council and has any action been taken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Has anyone affected by this reported it to the Gardai, the race organisers or the Council and has any action been taken?

Yes it was reported. Not by me though but it was reported. Not to start another debate though I don't expect anything to be done. I'm not quite sure what the guards can do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as mentioned above, they called around to my house when i reported having driven over thumb tacks in my car. as i did not know where it happened, they could not do anything about it - but still called round as i'd reported an offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

The Council can sweep the road to remove any tacks and prevent further accidents.

The Gardai can record it and keep an eye out in case someone tries it again. That road is busy enough that you'd have a hard time spreading tacks on it without someone passing by and seeing you do it.

Happy to hear nobody got hurt.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Stop being so precious. People are concerned about the safety of cyclists on the roads and those who would cause cyclists harm, not your "area".

Then why did YOU see the need for the comment about the affluence of the area which has no relevance with being concerned about the safety of cyclists(ie you took a cheap shot)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

The Gardaí should be doing more than keeping an eye out. Someone who lays mantraps that can injure or kill is psychopathic. (Obviously excepting children, who can do dangerous things out of stupidity.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Rechuchote wrote: »
    The Gardahould be doing more than keeping an eye out. Someone who lays mantraps that can injure or kill is psychopathic. (Obviously excepting children, who can do dangerous things out of stupidity.)

What should the Gardai do? Raid houses in Howth and confiscate any boxes of pins found?

07Lapierre wrote: »
    What should the Gardai do? Raid houses in Howth and confiscate any boxes of pins found?

Sweep the pins up, hold them for DNA and let it be known locally that they have done so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

There is an individual who lives in the area that tends to do strange things and is likely to be behind this. They're behind the anti cycling posters that where put up. They're a serial litigator with a history in the local super value. A number of local people who agreed with the sentiments of the posters last year did some self reflection when the persons involvement in them became apparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Then why did YOU see the need for the comment about the affluence of the area which has no relevance with being concerned about the safety of cyclists(ie you took a cheap shot)?

Maybe it's so affluent because they don't feel the need to pay their taxes, and they suspect cyclists are undercover revenue. I think I exposed the conspiracy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Absolute arseholes ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I wouldn't say it was an accident or that they fell out of a bag or anything. Most glass bottles smashed in the streets are conveniently in a bike lane rather up against a wall or the path...

It's the reason I ride Marathon Plus on a carbon bike. Dublin is a dump. It's also why I wish we had a tourist tax on hotels, cities with tourist tax are much cleaner.

Sweep the pins up, hold them for DNA and let it be known locally that they have done so.

Yep. So next time the culprit will know that he/she should wear gloves. Or better still, just empty the pins directly out of the box?

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Yep. So next time the culprit will know that he/she should wear gloves. Or better still, just empty the pins directly out of the box?

Most people will take a warning like that and stop acting the maggot.

Most people will take a warning like that and stop acting the maggot.

Most people wouldn't do it in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

The roads/paths are all covered in smithereens of broken glass anyway, so punctures are a given in the 5hithole third world dump that is Dublin.

All because the public sector freeloading leeches in the councils cant be bothered to sweep the roads properly with their vast salaries and lavish pensions and golden parachutes as they sail off into the sunset with a pension pot worth E10m at 50 years of age. Anyone complains, they go on strike. Its a disgrace, so it is, and we should have an enquiry costing E100m about it.

kuntboy wrote: »
    The roads/paths are all covered in smithereens of broken glass anyway, so punctures are a given in the 5hithole third world dump that is Dublin.

All because the public sector freeloading leeches in the councils cant be bothered to sweep the roads properly with their vast salaries and lavish pensions and golden parachutes as they sail off into the sunset with a pension pot worth E10m at 50 years of age. Anyone complains, they go on strike. Its a disgrace, so it is, and we should have an enquiry costing E100m about it.

And so you have defined yourself, username @kuntboy

Advertisement