Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thumb tacks in Howth today

Options
  • 16-06-2018 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

I was taking part in a charity cycle for Focus Ireland today, part of the route goes up Howth, the Sutton side. Just after you go by the graveyard a lot of people started spotting thumb tacks in their tyres, out of our group there was 4 punctures, all had thumb tacks stuck into the tyres. I counted 3 other cyclists with thumb tacks in their tyres also. Then when we got to the Naul there was other cyclists there who had the same issue in Howth.

I'm slightly worried this is going to be a new thing, I googled it and it seems to be common enough in the UK at the moment. I know we had the anti cyclist signs up Howth last summer but this is a new low!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Considering the barbed wire used against the MTB lads nothing would surprise me. People can be utter scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

ED E wrote: »
    Considering the barbed wire used against the MTB lads nothing would surprise me. People can be utter scum.

WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

ED E wrote:

Remember the article on sticky bottle about that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

McGaggs wrote: »
    WTF?

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/barbed-wire-stretched-neck-height-across-wicklow-cycle-track/

Thumb tacks are pretty common on cycle routes in other countries. Can never understand how people get so worked up by cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Fcuk that nonsense. Not a cyclist, occasionally mildly annoyed by large 3 and 4 abreast groups but to do that is just petty and nasty.

In fairness if cyclists annoy you that much you have deeper issues and need help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Thumb tacks are pretty common on cycle routes in other countries. Can never understand how people get so worked up by cyclists.

The odd cyclist can drive me nutty but thumbtacks? How does that work? They'd be taking out the good cyclists along with the bad. Doesn't make sense to me. Very small mindedness.

Not overly familiar with the area but from how often it gets mentioned here it's a popular place with cyclists. Likely some old gammon with a chip on his shoulder getting blood pressure every time a bike passes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's a dangerous spot to be leaving tacks too, there'd be people coming downhill past the graveyard carrying a bit of speed.

when i reported thumbtacks in my (car) tyres a few years ago, two gardai called to the house about it. obviously they would take a report of the above just as seriously. i wonder how many cars were affected too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

If someone were killed as a result, that could be a murder charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Aquals

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056157279

Couldn’t believe there would be people out there that would do something like that, until I read the thread above!

• Advertisement

Aquals wrote: »

Couldn’t believe there would be people out there that would do something like that, until I read the thread above!

That has lead me to other strange threads. One where people are saying that the rules of the road state you can overtake 'slow moving vehicles', animals and cyclists on a solid white line and that the rules of the road state you can do so.
    Anyone know where the ROTR state this? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That has lead me to other strange threads. One where people are saying that the rules of the road state you can overtake 'slow moving vehicles', animals and cyclists on a solid white line and that the rules of the road state you can do so.
    Anyone know where the ROTR state this? :confused:

The ROTR does NOT say that...
    ROTR wrote:
    Single or double continuous white lines along the centre of the road
    All traffic must keep to the left of the line (except in an emergency or for access).

...and this reflects the law, only the law provides an exemption....
    An authorised continuous white line along the centre of a roadway shall indicate that traffic must drive to the left of the line, and when on a stretch of roadway on which such a line has been provided a driver shall, save for the purpose of entering or leaving land or premises adjoining the right hand side of that roadway, drive to the left of the line.
    5.—(1) These bye-laws shall apply save where compliance therewith is not possible by reason solely of road-works, building operations or an obstruction to traffic, or because of an emergency suddenly confronting a driver, pedal-cyclist or pedestrian which he could not reasonably have been expected to anticipate.

Source: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1964/si/294/made/en/print

Obstruction isn't defined in the RTA, but the ROTR say:
    ROTR wrote:
    Obstructions
    If you become aware of something blocking the flow of traffic ahead, use the roadside telephone or a mobile phone to tell the Gardaí. Do not attempt to remove it yourself. Do not use a mobile phone whilst driving.

Now some people will say that cyclists are "an obstruction to traffic", but IMO (and supported by the evidence of actual prosecutions in Ireland) "obstruction" does not mean "something that forces you to drive below the speed limit".

Ha yeah and more than one person saying that people who do not know ''that you can overtake tractors, cyclists and animals on solid white lines don't know the ROTR"
    These are the people who we rely on to not hit us.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Ha yeah and more than one person saying that people who do not know ''that you can overtake tractors, cyclists and animals on solid white lines don't know the ROTR"
    These are the people who we rely on to not hit us.

Ah, that's a terrible slur on Ireland's drivers. I'm sure they all pull in up the road and phone the gardai to report the obstruction like the ROTR tells them to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Aquals wrote: »

I'm getting a 404 on that. Has the thread been pulled?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭cython

I'm getting a 404 on that. Has the thread been pulled?

Works for me, but it's locked. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056157279&page= any better?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The guy who started it is a well known troll when it comes to all things cycling.

it's from seven years ago - wonder if that's why it wasn't displaying for me on the mobile site?

Comes up for me on the mobile site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Hurrache wrote: »
    The guy who started it is a well known troll when it comes to all things cycling.

Trolling an internet forum is one thing, actually going out and causing damage is on another level.

• Advertisement

He was never one to be taking seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Ah thumb tacks on Howth, the place which brought you those large printed anti-cyclist posters not so long ago!

The people of Howth must be so proud!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Ah thumb tacks on Howth, the place which brought you those large printed anti-cyclist posters not so long ago!

Guess it's true that money can't buy you class; but it can buy thumb tacks!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Where is the evidence that they were left there for cyclists? Could be as simple as fell out of a bag / thrown out of a car window.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Big load if nails in the cycle lane at the beginning of the N81 at Templeouge yesterday. I had assumed the fell from a work van or something, I'd hate to think there are people sabotaging cycle lanes around the city.

Where is the evidence that they were left there for cyclists? Could be as simple as fell out of a bag / thrown out of a car window.
    granted - but is it just coincidence that this is in howth, which saw those anti-cycling posters a year or two ago?
    i find it hard to believe that someone spilling thumbtacks on a road would do it accidentally, regardless of whether cyclists or motorists were the intended target.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

granted - but is it just coincidence that this is in howth, which saw those anti-cycling posters a year or two ago?
    i find it hard to believe that someone spilling thumbtacks on a road would do it accidentally, regardless of whether cyclists or motorists were the intended target.

Accidently dropped a box of tacks on the way to pin up anti-cycling posters?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Ferris

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Guess it's true that money can't buy you class; but it can buy thumb tacks!

Wow lads, tarring many with the same brush here. Just because of one bad apple you are condemning an entire community. The vast majority of whom act properly and considerately towards the many cyclists who pass through the area.

Sure cyclists do nothing but break red lights, don’t pay ‘road’ tax..... yada yada

eh... i'm not saying it's the entire community of howth who are sprinkling tacks on the road. it's clearly just one person or very few; and since i obviously wasn't clear about it, the fact that there were anti-cycling posters put up a year or two ago would lead me to believe that *if* this was a malicious act towards cyclists, it could be the same person in each occurrence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭cython

eh... i'm not saying it's the entire community of howth who are sprinkling tacks on the road. it's clearly just one person or very few; and since i obviously wasn't clear about it, the fact that there were anti-cycling posters put up a year or two ago would lead me to believe that *if* this was a malicious act towards cyclists, it could be the same person in each occurrence.
    So, almost like the exact opposite of the below then? :D
    Ferris wrote: »
    Wow lads, tarring many with the same brush here. Just because of one bad apple you are condemning an entire community. The vast majority of whom act properly and considerately towards the many cyclists who pass through the area.

Sure cyclists do nothing but break red lights, don’t pay ‘road’ tax..... yada yada

Advertisement