Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marian Finucane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,273 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I presume the presenter pulled her up on it and told her to stop talking shiote

Not sure Alan, but he did say that he felt that half the nation wanted her to shut the fohhrke up in case their kids were listening.

That’s a paraphrase, not direct quote.

Now this this is only me, but the lass came across as a total cretinious person who seriously boiled my piss.

I may well be totally wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Not sure Alan, but he did say that he felt that half the nation wanted her to shut the fohhrke up in case their kids were listening.

That’s a paraphrase, not direct quote.

Now this this is only me, but the lass came across as a total cretinious person who seriously boiled my piss.

I may well be totally wrong though.

I'd say you'd know if your piss had reached boiling point, Brendan.

I don't mind Marian I must say, even if she does tend to invite on her 'meejia luvees' on a bit too much. Speaking of which - presume Michael Colgan is persona non grata down in Montrose these days?

Anyways, when Marian stumps out her last fag and departs RTE then I think Brendan O'Connor would be a good replacement. He's quite a natural at the light hearted pieces, has toned down the need to be funny all the time when having 'the banter', and isn't afraid to give a few politicians a kick in the balls or gee if they deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Anyways, when Marian stumps out her last fag and departs RTE then I think Brendan O'Connor would be a good replacement. He's quite a natural at the light hearted pieces, has toned down the need to be funny all the time when having 'the banter', and isn't afraid to give a few politicians a kick in the balls or gee if they deserve it.

Yeah but what about the accent. I can't abide it.
    I switch off when I hear him. I'd even prefer Ray to him even though he too annoys the hell out of me.

bobbyss wrote: »
    Yeah but what about the accent. I can't abide it.
    I switch off when I hear him. I'd even prefer Ray to him even though he too annoys the hell out of me.

The accent doesn't annoy me personally. Regional accent, with no huge particularities in how he pronounces certain words.

I don't have the venomous dislike for Raymond either that some of the crew around here seem to have. Harmless sort. Think O'Connor has the makings of a strong broadcaster. And he might need a new job if the newspaper gig gets chopped as a result of the 'funny business' going on in INM.

The accent doesn't annoy me personally. Regional accent, with no huge particularities in how he pronounces certain words.

I don't have the venomous dislike for Raymond either that some of the crew around here seem to have. Harmless sort. Think O'Connor has the makings of a strong broadcaster. And he might need a new job if the newspaper gig gets chopped as a result of the 'funny business' going on in INM.

Agree there Jon, lots of worse accents, Jacqui Hurley for example.

Funny shape on Ballsy though, big meat head on a thin body.

Not a good shape, in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Agree there Jon, lots of worse accents, Jacqui Hurley for example.

Funny shape on Ballsy though, big meat head on a thin body.

Not a good shape, in my opinion.

Used to be a 'big unit' at one stage, Brendan. He'd have been known as 'The Bomber' or 'Brick Shíthouse' if playing senior hurling. Probably too much porter and snackboxes. Could happen to any of us to be honest. Agree he has gone a bit gaunt.

Doesn't get away from his merits as a broadcaster though. Think his show on the pictotube can be very good when he gets decent guests, and he's not a yes-man or a script merchant. Not a leftie either, which is refreshing when listening to the national broadcaster.

Used to be a 'big unit' at one stage, Brendan. He'd have been known as 'The Bomber' or 'Brick Shíthouse' if playing senior hurling. Probably too much porter and snackboxes. Could happen to any of us to be honest. Agree he has gone a bit gaunt.

Doesn't get away from his merits as a broadcaster though. Think his show on the pictotube can be very good when he gets decent guests, and he's not a yes-man or a script merchant. Not a leftie either, which is refreshing when listening to the national broadcaster.

Good point there Jon, that place is infested with lefties.

There’s a lad on Drivetime, what’s his name, Keane I think who I’m sure ‘woods-up’ when reporting stuff about the current Govt Throws serious shade their way, with obvious enthusiasm,and of course Wilson gets the ‘equality’ gig going on every show.

All on huge wedges,Jon, and all seem anxious to ‘have a cut’ whenever they can.

Subliminal agendas, Jon, listen carefully over the next few days and you will get my knife.

Good point there Jon, that place is infested with lefties.

There’s a lad on Drivetime, what’s his name, Keane I think who I’m sure ‘woods-up’ when reporting stuff about the current Govt Throws serious shade their way, with obvious enthusiasm,and of course Wilson gets the ‘equality’ gig going on every show.

All on huge wedges,Jon, and all seem anxious to ‘have a cut’ whenever they can.

Subliminal agendas, Jon, listen carefully over the next few days and you will get my knife.

Wouldn’t have much issue with the current Government, Brendan. Couldn’t give a Ronny about the social side of FG. Very progressive party. Bit disappointed that they continue to pander to the blow horn activists when it comes to the redistribution of tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Ming is a world class whiner

Callan57 wrote: »
    Ming is a world class whiner

The problem,Callan, is unfortunately that people believe these clowns.

He had his arse handed to him by Mairead McG today big time.

Fair play to her for getting stuck into the imposter and not mincing words.

• Advertisement

Ming is a man who can identify problems. Doesn't have the chutzpah to come up with workable solutions though, or to place himself in front of the electorate with a mandate to actually try and implement those solutions. Hurler on the ditch. Very easy job, and appeals to a cohort of the electorate who are permanently in a stage of outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Ming is a man who can identify problems. Doesn't have the chutzpah to come up with workable solutions though, or to place himself in front of the electorate with a mandate to actually try and implement those solutions. Hurler on the ditch. Very easy job, and appeals to a cohort of the electorate who are permanently in a stage of outrage.

Increasingly crowded segment of the market, that. At present trends, in a few Dáils' time, there will be 157 TDs in opposition -- or some sort of "confidence and supply" fudge -- and one poor prematurely ageing b'stard in government.

What exactly do you mean by “commercial revenue they bring in”.

How does this work and could you expain it to a dim witted person?

Many many thanks.

About a third (IIRC) of RTE's revenue is from ads. Traditionally, any time a high-profile broadcaster is criticised for their eye-watering salary, the defence is wheeled out that they bring extra money. From all their hardcore fans tuning in, pushing up ratings, and hence the amount per ad slot they can charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,193 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

alaimacerc wrote: »
    About a third (IIRC) of RTE's revenue is from ads. Traditionally, any time a high-profile broadcaster is criticised for their eye-watering salary, the defence is wheeled out that they bring extra money. From all their hardcore fans tuning in, pushing up ratings, and hence the amount per ad slot they can charge.

And if they are to be believed, the amount charged per advertising slot must be similarly eye-watering, and we know that's simply not true.
    Too many snouts in the trough, but who cares, the mugs / hapless punters / idiots of the parish keen and discerning licence payers are paying.
    Why, it's like an endless money tree.
    Wish I'd got in there, on the ground floor, so to speak.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

In fairness, while this might be partly true for Connaught/Ulster, Roscommon is hardly known as a hotbed of anarchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

Doesn't have the chutzpah to come up with workable solutions though
    Ah well now, he did have a solution to the poor numbers on the Western Rail Corridor - a tea-serving trolley.

I kid you not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

serfboard wrote: »
    Ah well now, he did have a solution to the poor numbers on the Western Rail Corridor - a tea-serving trolley.

I kid you not.

A lady has set up a tea/coffee stall at Ennis station. Can't say if it's contributed to an increase in passenger traffic but I can attest that she does a lovely coffee. :)

Mind you if I had to share a journey in the company of Ming I'd need something a hell of a lot stronger than coffee ;)

Callan57 wrote: »
    Mind you if I had to share a journey in the company of Ming I'd need something a hell of a lot stronger than coffee ;)

You thinking absinthe, or something more like full-scale Swiss clinic?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

alaimacerc wrote: »
    You thinking absinthe, or something more like full-scale Swiss clinic?

Even for Ming that's a bit extreme. You are going Coppinger level there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

looks like RTE has gone on holidays already , dreadful show today , even with Brendan at the helm, some one give him a decent guest to work on, i'd say he's pulling his hair out now doing a fashion talk .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

"Another middle aged straight white male taken to task and that's no harm at all."

Is he for real?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

sligojoek wrote: »
    "Another middle aged straight white male taken to task and that's no harm at all."

Is he for real?

Who said that?

Brendan.
    Some theatre reviewer made remarks about the body of a female actor. She had a go at him and he apologised.

Imagine if he'd said the same about a black gay woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Is he for real?

I doubt he really believes that. He is either playing to the perceived gallery or he has been lost in the media circle for too long.
    He was well caught out in his interview with Lionel Schriver about quotas at Penguin Books.
    He said it was too full of middle aged white men. She said it was quite the opposite that it was majority female and that for quotas to apply they would have to get rid of a lot of women.
    That took the wind out of his sails, ergo: abrupt end of discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

"Another middle  aged straight white male taken to task and that's no harm at all."

Is he for real?
    That was more of a tongue in cheek remark after all the labelling of people with Lionel Shriver. She was a difficult enough guest so he was treating her with kid gloves to some extent.

At another point in the interview Brendan asked:
    "You think fundamentally that it's not easy to say what you think any more. That's what you believe, isn't it?"
    and Lionel Shriver responded with:
    "We have developed a very censorius and rigid social environment, prescriptive... The left has a list of orthodoxies to which you have to subscribe en masse.You can't just even just tick some of them. You have to believe this whole set of opinions which amounts to a kind of religion"
    I think this pretty much describes the Irish media as well. Take the recent referendum for example. It was taboo to admit that you were voting NO. You didn't see any celebrities coming out for the NO side, nor many journalists brave enough to say that they were voting NO. All we had here was U2 and others opportunistic celebrities jumping on the popular side, and supposed journalists like Noel Whelan lobbying for YES. And when you have the situation where people are afraid to air legitimately held views, that is censorship. And this applies to pretty much every topic that is discussed. If you dont have left leaning opinions on housing, migration, gender quotas etc etc you are persona non grata.
    I sort of laughed to myself when Brendan asking that question because I actually heard Brendan himself making a very similar point when speaking to George Hook a few years ago - he said that there "were a set of opinions that you were expected to have when you work in the media". And of course, ironically George himself fell foul of not having those opinions and lost his own job shortly after.

That was more of a tongue in cheek remark after all the labelling of people with Lionel Shriver. She was a difficult enough guest so he was treating her with kid gloves to some extent.

"You think fundamentally that it's not easy to say what you think any more. That's what you believe, isn't it?"
    "We have developed a very censorius and rigid social environment, prescriptive... The left has a list of orthodoxies to which you have to subscribe en masse.You can't just even just tick some of them. You have to believe this whole set of opinions which amounts to a kind of religion"
    I think this pretty much describes the Irish media as well. Take the recent referendum for example. It was taboo to admit that you were voting NO. You didn't see any celebrities coming out for the NO side, nor many journalists brave enough to say that they were voting NO. All we had here was U2 and others opportunistic celebrities jumping on the popular side, and supposed journalists like Noel Whelan lobbying for YES. And when you have the situation where people are afraid to air legitimately held views, that is censorship. And this applies to pretty much every topic that is discussed. If you dont have left leaning opinions on housing, migration, gender quotas etc etc you are persona non grata.
    I sort of laughed to myself when Brendan asking that question because I actually heard Brendan himself making a very similar point when speaking to George Hook a few years ago - he said that there "were a set of opinions that you were expected to have when you work in the media". And of course, ironically George himself fell foul of not having those opinions and lost his own job shortly after.

There's a lot to be said for context. I turned off when he was talking to people about their dead parents. I turned back over as he was discussing the theatre review and thought it was an odd kind of statement to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,125 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Sorry, what 'media' were you watching/listening to that didn't give a platform to the NO vote?
    This has to be challenged - the No side got plenty of opportunity to air it's minority views.

I don't want to focus on all the positive things that actually matter to the little people. Good man Paul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Sorry, what 'media' were you watching/listening to that didn't give a platform to the NO vote?
    This has to be challenged - the No side got plenty of opportunity to air it's minority views.

He is talking about the intolerance shown towards anyone who dares to go against received wisdom. Just scroll through the 8th Amendment thread in after hours and you'll see what he means.

• Advertisement

I'm also talking about the presenters themselves, Dick. Ray D'Arcy gets BAI complaints against him upheld regarding the same referendum, and yet he is still on air interviewing people about the topic before the vote? Ciara Kelly on Newstalk celebrating the win the Monday after, having supposedly been balanced when interviewing people in the previous months? Whatever happened to the presenters ACTUALLY being objective. Like the way Gay Byrne and Pat Kenny (when he was on RTE) were - you would never know how they felt on any topic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement