Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marian Finucane

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

She has mispronounced "anomalies" as "Ah-Nam-a-Lee's" numerous times this morning.

Plus she is giving off her usual air of just not really giving a **** about what's being talked about.

Just a terrible broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

lawlolawl wrote: »
    She has mispronounced "anomalies" as "Ah-Nam-a-Lee's" numerous times this morning.

Plus she is giving off her usual air of just not really giving a **** about what's being talked about.

Just a terrible broadcaster.

In fairness Rachel English had a super job done since 8am ... not a lot to say that she hadn't handled with her usual aplomb. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Am I the only one who thinks that this was "suicide by cop". It seems pretty obvious to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,273 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Am I the only one who thinks that this was "suicide by cop". It seems pretty obvious to me.

You probably are,buddy.

Caroline Simons trying to re-run the campaign this morning ... you were decisively beated, get over it!
    She is desperately trying to argue she has a relevance in todays Ireland

In '83 (and I remember it well) the pro-life people intimidated & brow beat people. I know people were afraid to even say they were voting against the instertion of the 8th in the constitution because they feared for their jobs or for advancement in their jobs. It was vicious, vindictive, bullying & intimidating and I am truly delighted at yesterdays result.
    I think the Yes people are behaving with superb restraint by comparison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Callan57 wrote: »
    Caroline Simons trying to re-run the campaign this morning ... you were decisively beated, get over it!
    She is desperately trying to argue she has a relevance in todays Ireland

In '83 (and I remember it well) the pro-life people intimidated & brow beat people. I know people were afraid to even say they were voting against the instertion of the 8th in the constitution because they feared for their jobs or for advancement in their jobs. It was vicious, vindictive, bullying & intimidating and I am truly delighted at yesterdays result.
    I think the Yes people are behaving with superb restraint by comparison

Suggesting that there was voting irregularities and biased coverage on tv and radio was bordering on the ridiculous no matter what side you where on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

Infoanon wrote: »
    Suggesting that there was voting irregularities and biased coverage on tv and radio was ...
    ... straight out of the Donald Trump playbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Christ will this lad stop laughing at his own stories ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I'm guessing it's a pat short interview?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Who is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The posh old folks home nostalgia hour currently on Marian

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭emo72

Who's talking, and whom are they talking about? Just tuned in. No idea what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Did Marian post that to get people tuning in and wondering what's going on? 😀

I only caught the end of it but the person that they were talking about was Tara Browne. He was a young rich kid who used to be friends with The Beatles, and died in a car crash. The song "A Day In The Life" was written about him - "He blew his mind out in a car. He hadn't noticed that the lights had changed". Never got the whole obsession with the guy. He was a nobody, who was only made famous because he was friends with The Beatles.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Missent

The guy laughing at his own stories is Paddy Moloney of the Chieftains. Not sure who the painter is but was a great friend of late Garech De Brun apparently.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

emo72 wrote: »
    Who's talking, and whom are they talking about? Just tuned in. No idea what's going on.

Paddy Maloney and the painter Anthony Palliser sharing fart stories about Garech de Brun.

Should I save up for my holiday or put it on the credit card.

lámh asuas

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Such a lazy, sloppy show. A bit of nostalgia from Marion's time and Maureen Gaffney again! They have given up trying. It is mainly an insult to the public.
    They also have to include the obligatory anti Trump, pro Democrat, pro asylum seeker and EU tropes in every edition. Very tedious and predictable.
    They should do to it what they used to do to lame horses.

Dreary. Repetitive. Smug.

Just a line of pigs in a trough. Snouts down gorging into the coffers only looking up to see who to scold, who to scare away or who to ignore. Occasionally the pigs will shuffle up to allow harmless grunts in to briefly entertain them and snaffle a morsel.
    But mostly they're happy to hear familiar grunts and wallow in their own crap once the farmer keep the sweet swill pouring down their gullets.

I often wonder what a young Marian would make of the old jaded Marian?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

humberklog wrote:
    Just a line of pigs in a trough. Snouts down gorging into the coffers only looking up to see who to scold, who to scare away or who to ignore. Occasionally the pigs will shuffle up to allow harmless grunts in to briefly entertain them and snaffle a morsel. But mostly they're happy to hear familiar grunts and wallow in their own crap once the farmer keep the sweet swill pouring down their gullets.

If you hate her show so much, why listen? Bizzare.

• Advertisement

Not really bizarre. I love radio and that includes following the good and the bad. It's not about switching over to find something I like. At that time on Saturday there's little for me. So I occasionally listen in to MF on the national broadcaster. I'm usually knocking about in the car or apartment at that time and I like listening to live radio at that time.

On here - a radio forum- I do compliment shows as much as I criticise. Surely a radio forum on a chat board would be more bizarre if there was no critique of radio shows good or bad?
    If I was complaining on a MF fan site I'd understand your confusion but this isn't. It's a Radio forum to air ones views on what's being broadcast.
    Also through the banality of Nevin Maguire telling you how to fry an egg on a stone you can occasionally get something interesting like Gerald Keane (he of the trough) being allowed to slander Sgt. McCabe (who the pigs want to scare).
    I don't want to switch off everything I don't like. Sometimes it's interesting for all the wrong reasons. That's radio

How you don't understand that- I find bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

It's an awful show, but Marian herself isn't awful, she's just phoning it in and coasting along. She's a very good interviewer - I wish they'd replace 'Miriam Meets...' with 'Marian Meets...'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,273 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

It's an awful show, but Marian herself isn't awful, she's just phoning it in and coasting along. She's a very good interviewer - I wish they'd replace 'Miriam Meets...' with 'Marian Meets...'.

Might make a change from “Moy gahsts toh dhaay oir.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I agree. Marian is very good at interviewing but Show has too many repeat contributors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Might make a change from “Moy gahsts toh dhaay oir.......

It genuinely would make a change. Genuinely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

humberklog wrote: »
    Not really bizarre. I love radio and that includes following the good and the bad. It's not about switching over to find something I like. At that time on Saturday there's little for me. So I occasionally listen in to MF on the national broadcaster. I'm usually knocking about in the car or apartment at that time and I like listening to live radio at that time.

On here - a radio forum- I do compliment shows as much as I criticise. Surely a radio forum on a chat board would be more bizarre if there was no critique of radio shows good or bad?
    If I was complaining on a MF fan site I'd understand your confusion but this isn't. It's a Radio forum to air ones views on what's being broadcast.
    Also through the banality of Nevin Maguire telling you how to fry an egg on a stone you can occasionally get something interesting like Gerald Keane (he of the trough) being allowed to slander Sgt. McCabe (who the pigs want to scare).
    I don't want to switch off everything I don't like. Sometimes it's interesting for all the wrong reasons. That's radio

How you don't understand that- I find bizarre.

What I find bizarre is posters coming along to a thread about a radio show and expecting to find no posts criticizing that show.
    We pay our license fee and we are entitled to hold the radio station to a certain standard.
    The attitude “if you don’t like it then don’t listen” is the same to me as saying “ if you don’t like Clonmel hospital then don’t go there, go somewhere else”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Well I did switch over, the show has become a Dinosaur and a very expensive one. There's a horrible air of snobbery about a lot of it that just turns me right off.
    Her time for a prime Saturday slot is well past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

noticed how none of her in-studio items are featured on RTE Radio1 Facebook live video, as is the case with most Radio 1 shows

It genuinely would make a change. Genuinely.

Meeeeeeeeeee I can see you're getting emotional ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,878 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

splinter65 wrote: »
    What I find bizarre is posters coming along to a thread about a radio show and expecting to find no posts criticizing that show.
    We pay our license fee and we are entitled to hold the radio station to a certain standard.
    The attitude “if you don’t like it then don’t listen” is the same to me as saying “ if you don’t like Clonmel hospital then don’t go there, go somewhere else”.

It's not. Using HSE services and radio listening are not comparable. I can tune to dozens of stations and I can recognise whether I dislike a particular programme. The sensible thing is not to listen again. Unless I just wanted to gather material to complain about the programme on the internet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement