Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halloween (2018)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

thebull85 wrote: »
    Thats what we all thought, but the sequel to H20 told the story that it was actually a paramedic wearing the mask that got decapitated, while the crafty Michael made his escape.

I remember watching H2O and saying that that would happen if they did another sequel...I was right!

Is Michael Myers crafty though?...I don't think they have fleshed out his story at all. He's just some relentless killing machine...why? Also can't somebody overpower him in a fight? I'd like to see a slasher movie where the indestructible killer wanders into a room of MMA fighters and they kick the living sh*te out of him. Getting a big tired of these 'can't be beaten/killed psycho' films.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

oneilla wrote: »
    The original financier of Halloween was a Syrian named Moustapha Akkad who predictably only cared about making money.

As opposed to everyone else in Hollywood?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

There are some effective scares in the trailer, but making Laurie a Sarah Connor trope doesn't seem like there's much creative thinking going on. The prison yard scene is just flat out stupid. Why would prison authorities let a journalist wander in an excercise yard with a psycopath and wave his killing mask in his face? Who signed off on that?
    Then there's the fact this is from the creative team that gave us 'Your Highness'...... so I'm not holding out much hope that we'll get anything but a slightly more polished verson of H20.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

Looks decent.

Biggest gripe is the title. Halloween FFS. Give it a number, or a suffix of some kind.

I hate that we now have to refer to Ghostbusters as 'the first one, not the 2016 one'. Please don't make me do it with this as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,529 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I thought this would be awful but form the trailer it looks like it could be a decent movie,
    I really liked the day time prison scene it really helped build tension ,
    As someone said how will they explain him being 60ish and still a killing machine surely the aul knees or back would be playing up ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

Jamie Lee looks like Brent Spiner in Independence Day:

landscape-1466514057-brent-spiner-independence-day.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I thought this would be awful but form the trailer it looks like it could be a decent movie,
    As someone said how will they explain him being 60ish and still a killing machine surely the aul knees or back would be playing up ,

If Mickey Myers can keep coming back from the dead, I don't think a touch of arthritis will do him much harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I was trying to remember in Eastbound and Down where Danny McBride mentions Michael Myers. He's trying to offload all the old Kenny Powers merchandise after his baseball career stalls and his replica mask looks like a "retarded Michael Myers" :pac:

http://halloweendailynews.com/2014/07/michael-myers-invades-eastbound-and-down/

He must have always been a fan of the Halloween movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

El Duda wrote: »
    I hate that we now have to refer to Ghostbusters as 'the first one, not the 2016 one'. Please don't make me do it with this as well.
    The 2016 Ghostbusters full title is: Ghostbusters: Answer The Call.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

El Duda wrote: »
    Looks decent.

Biggest gripe is the title. Halloween FFS. Give it a number, or a suffix of some kind.

In fairness, people have been calling it "the first one" or "the original Ghostbusters" since 1989 when Ghostbusters II was released. So the release of the remake really doesn't change anything. And even then, unless you indicate that you are talking about the remake, most people who know anything about movies will assume any reference to Ghostbusters means the original.

The main reason this shouldn't have been called Halloween is because it confusingly suggests that it's a remake when it's actually sequel albeit one that ignores all the other sequels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

The main reason this shouldn't have been called Halloween is because it confusingly suggests that it's a remake when it's actually sequel albeit one that ignores all the other sequels.

Should have been called "Halloween II v2"

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

I liked what Zombie did upon first viewings but I found as I watched more of his library, I became more irritated by his style and use of the samey characters.

I have only watched the Halloween films, house of a 1000 corpse and the devils rejects,

Its something very rare that we get a writer/director that likes to do his own thing, I think that needs to be championed these days,,, he is not the greatest but I like his style of horror and as for the casting, Id say he finds it hard to get actors for his movies because he likes to work on low budget things (outside the Halloween franchises) plus he probably just trusts these actors, lots of Directors do this, i.e Tim Burton, Chris Nolan etc...anyway getting a bit side tracked, but this Halloween does look cool, and plus Myers is an awesome bad guy, so lets bring him back and watch him F**k things up!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

All the night-time killings delayed as he tries to pee but can't due to his prostrate issues.

I agree with the strength thing too, it's gotten a bit silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Fox Hound wrote: »
    I have only watched the Halloween films, house of a 1000 corpse and the devils rejects,

Its something very rare that we get a writer/director that likes to do his own thing, I think that needs to be championed these days,,, he is not the greatest but I like his style of horror and as for the casting, Id say he finds it hard to get actors for his movies because he likes to work on low budget things (outside the Halloween franchises) plus he probably just trusts these actors, lots of Directors do this, i.e Tim Burton, Chris Nolan etc...anyway getting a bit side tracked, but this Halloween does look cool, and plus Myers is an awesome bad guy, so lets bring him back and watch him F**k things up!

It's not necessarily an issue with the actors as he does have a very decent core that do perform for him. Just seems every film revolves around hicks and a lot of exploitation in the arse end of America. That's what he brought to Halloween which was interesting in itself, but showed his limitations when viewed in the wider context of his general work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I rewatched the trailer today when showing it to someone else, they seem to give away 3 deaths really cheaply in that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It's not necessarily an issue with the actors as he does have a very decent core that do perform for him. Just seems every film revolves around hicks and a lot of exploitation in the arse end of America. That's what he brought to Halloween which was interesting in itself, but showed his limitations when viewed in the wider context of his general work.

Not just that, but his insistence on having Sheri Moon Zombie take a significant role gets in the way too. She was surprisingly good in Lords of Salem (very much a "what it could have been" film, given that the ending just sort of peters out), but is otherwise pretty wooden.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

razorblunt wrote: »
    I rewatched the trailer today when showing it to someone else, they seem to give away 3 deaths really cheaply in that.

I stopped watching trailers altogether for that reason. I might watch a teaser, but full trailers give away most of the film these days. I'd rather have some surprises when I get to see the film.
    Oh, I actually watched the trailer for the Suspiria remake, but since I've seen the original and know the story I'll be watching that mostly for the mood, score and cinematography anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

New trailer. Sorry, haters. This looks great. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

"I've been preparing for this for a long time"

Weapon of choice: Winchester rifle, developed over 100 years ago :rolleyes::pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

This looks so good. Can’t wait.

• Advertisement

One thing I took from that latest trailer was that Myers is a lefty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Looks decent alright. Time and time again, we're let down with ****ty horror remakes, hopefully this one lives up to the potential

p to the e wrote: »
    One thing I took from that latest trailer was that Myers is a lefty.

I should reiterate my statement and say I meant he's left handed not some liberal mass murderer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

p to the e wrote: »
    I should reiterate my statement and say I meant he's left handed not some liberal mass murderer.

That could make sense too though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Think it might be solid enough. Was JC involved in some capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I love the Halloween films and that theme tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Beach Fuzz

Mr E wrote: »
    New trailer. Sorry, haters. This looks great. :)

Looks like it's going to the best one since IV: Return of Michael Myers. Loved that one as a kid.

Although I did like the first Rob Zombie one.
    nix wrote: »

Weapon of choice: Winchester rifle, developed over 100 years ago :rolleyes::pac:

I don't get it. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,852 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Think it might be solid enough. Was JC involved in some capacity
    I think producer.

Trailer looks good to me.

I thought the first Rob zombie film was OK, as was H20, its a shame this film seems to wipe Halloween 2...which I have a soft spot for.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

nix wrote: »

Beach Fuzz wrote: »
    I don't get it. :confused:

In a country where even mentallers can buy semi-automatic, magazine fed, machine guns, why would anyone choose an antiquated rifle to kill anybody?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

shes finally going to kill him ...........unless it makes a lot of money.

Advertisement