Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should the tiered hurling championships be abolished?

• 11-06-2018 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I was thinking about this in light of Offaly's recent relegation.

IMO not letting weaker teams into the SHC only keeps them weak, only playing sides of similar. The current system forces counties that aren't necessarily bad at hurling but aren't in the top ten (eg. Kerry, Antrim) to fight tooth and nail for a single scrap of recognition. It also keeps hurling unpopular in football strongholds as kids never see their county playing on telly.

I think if we had something more like the football championship (although it too has many flaws) hurling would be better off at a national level and make the sport more popular than it is now in most parts of the country.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

The system was not tiered for 100 years and the game did not take off in the North of the country. Its not like football in that the gap between the tiers is much bigger in hurling. Division 4 teams beating division 1 teams is unheard of and thats more to do with the game itself than promotion.
    But that does not mean they should not show some of the lower tier games on TV. I havnt yet seen 1 second of the JoeMcDonagh cup on TV this year. These are good sides and deserve better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭slegs

Best thing to happen in the GAA since the original back door in 96/7

If Offaly were good enough they would have stayed up. If they become good enough they will get back. It’s the basic premise of promotion and relegation

In any case why do Offaly deserve any preferential treatment over Carlow/Westmeath/Laois/Kerry all good hurling counties too.

Just because Offaly have won more than these counties doesn’t warrant special treatment.

The GAA will tweak this format but it’s here to stay in my view. Can’t be regarded as anything other than a big success based on the quality of the games, the intensity and the relatively good attendances.

Personally I would go for two balanced groups of 6 with 2 relegated and promoted each year (provincial championships separate competitions entirely before AI) but that’s not likely to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Seems to me that relegation only became a bad thing because it was Offaly that was involved.

Listening to the draw the head guy of the gaa was asked if the system would be changed because, it sounded to me, it was Offaly that were relegated.

Much the same with those complaining that the Munster championship should be changed just because tipp were knocked out. Surely counties knew these risks when voting on on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭C__MC

I think a major problem for teams at lower levels is the amount of players Playing from stronger counties playing then with the likes of donegal Sligo etc. I think this shouldn’t be allowed.
    I’m not a fan of the joe mc Donagh getting a qualifier as it will be a turkey shoot. It’s amazing That the middle tier counties have never made any notable breakthrough in LMC. The finals of the lower tier competitions should be telivised and played before big game in Croke Park though

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    Wasn't that majorly cut back this year?

Can’t answer you but I know there is a tipp lad beating teams on his own in the Nicky rackard

• Registered Users Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I've really enjoyed this year's championship so far but for the players that are out it's a hard pill to swallow if you are done and dusted by the first weekend off June.

IMO, the GAA already have the answer in both codes, ie the league format. This should absolutely be played on the firmer ground at this time of year. We would have a lot of cracking games to watch. If they shifted the league to start in April/May and did away with the antiquated Provincial system it would see a sea change for both codes. The calendar would also be cleared up for the club game.

Of course it will never happen as it makes too much sense to HQ and those who are stuck in the past.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

yesnow wrote: »
    IMO not letting weaker teams into the SHC only keeps them weak, only playing sides of similar. The current system forces counties that aren't necessarily bad at hurling but aren't in the top ten (eg. Kerry, Antrim) to fight tooth and nail for a single scrap of recognition. It also keeps hurling unpopular in football strongholds as kids never see their county playing on telly.
    They are allowed in if they win promotion.

Hurling has been weak in most of these counties since the establishment of the association a game or two on the box isn't going to change that. In fact I'd argue the game in Westmeath, Meath, Carlow and Kerry is at the best standard in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

JRant wrote: »
    Of course it will never happen as it makes too much sense to HQ and those who are stuck in the past.

Do you honestly think its HQ? It's the provincial councils and counties themselves. Same as with football. Counties haven't won a game in the championship for years but 'this could be our year to win Sam'

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

JRant wrote: »
    I've really enjoyed this year's championship so far but for the players that are out it's a hard pill to swallow if you are done and dusted by the first weekend off June.

IMO, the GAA already have the answer in both codes, ie the league format. This should absolutely be played on the firmer ground at this time of year. We would have a lot of cracking games to watch. If they shifted the league to start in April/May and did away with the antiquated Provincial system it would see a sea change for both codes. The calendar would also be cleared up for the club game.

+1 The only way to solve the current club fixtures crises is to have an open draw based league/championship home and away fixtures. Have a break between certain rounds for club championship and at least everybody knows when they are play

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Owryan wrote: »
    Seems to me that relegation only became a bad thing because it was Offaly that was involved.

Listening to the draw the head guy of the gaa was asked if the system would be changed because, it sounded to me, it was Offaly that were relegated.

Much the same with those complaining that the Munster championship should be changed just because tipp were knocked out. Surely counties knew these risks when voting on on them.

Nobody has suggested that :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Do you honestly think its HQ? It's the provincial councils and counties themselves. Same as with football. Counties haven't won a game in the championship for years but 'this could be our year to win Sam'

Yeah, I should have been clearer really. When I said HQ I meant Congress which as you rightly point out is the provinces and counties themselves.

Look at the guff Dublin get for playing in CP yet it's not readily recognized that it is the Leinster council that keep voting on keeping them playing there as it increases revenue for all the teams.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I think if we had something more like the football championship (although it too has many flaws) hurling would be better off at a national level and make the sport more popular than it is now in most parts of the country.

Thoughts?

Thoughts? Absolutely ridiculous proposal. The gap between the top table in hurling and the rest is enormous, way more so than in football. Personally i have taken much more interest in Mayo hurling in recent years because they are playing at their own level and competing well, what benefit would there be to having them compete in a Connacht Cship with Galway and get beaten b 30 points?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

The Gap is already very large even between LMC and JMD.

Even within LMC 70% of all all-irelands have been won by 3 counties.

Limerick in 4th haven't won since 73. Dublin in 5th haven't won since1938.

Since the introduction of the backdoor (the modern era) the only counties to have won outside of the big three are

Clare 3
    Offaly 2
    Wexford 1
    Galway 1

Strong hurling counties like Waterford and limerick really struggle to get close to a chance to win. It's a brutal and ruthless tournament and the gulf between the top 10 and the bottom 10 makes it pointless to consolidate. I think moving Galway into Leinster has really helped them find the consistency needed to compete by allowing them to battle harden over the course of the early season and be prepared for what's needed to get over the line in September.

I think Offaly might actually so very well out of JMD if they take the right approach. They are in a very exciting prospect of playing JMD final in croke park next year and then squaring up to a 3rd place LMC team for a place in the QF.

On a related nnoted, I'dtually favour splitting football into two tournaments to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

You get the odd football game where a third or fourth division team will give one of the big beasts a run for their money but there is no way a team like Louth hurlers would survive for five minutes against Kilkenny. There is such a vast difference in standards that tiered championship is only option.

It is also unfortunately the case that most counties couldn't give a somersaulting fart about hurling. It has always been a sport basically confined to 7/8 counties and even within that likes of Dublin are poor cousins. Cork, Cats and Tipp have won 90% of All Irelands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

If the hurling went like football with a provincial open draw, and you got ties like Leitrim-Galway or Longford-Kilkenny, you'd simply see walkovers being given the minute the ball is drawn from the bowl. Galway could field 15 minors and would still give Leitrim a record breaking pasting.

I've seen Meath play the likes of Longford, Sligo, Louth, Donegal in competitive games over the years and the gap in quality is utterly astronomical. Then the gap between Meath and the top counties is probably the same again.

I'm shocked at how hurling ever survived in many counties before tiered competitions came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

C__MC wrote: »
    I think a major problem for teams at lower levels is the amount of players Playing from stronger counties playing then with the likes of donegal Sligo etc. I think this shouldn’t be allowed.
    I’m not a fan of the joe mc Donagh getting a qualifier as it will be a turkey shoot. It’s amazing That the middle tier counties have never made any notable breakthrough in LMC. The finals of the lower tier competitions should be telivised and played before big game in Croke Park though

Any of the Joe McDonagh matches I was at, all the players were homegrown talents. I suppose good Hurling counties like Antrim’s, Carlows, Kerry and Laois would have enough good hurlers to not need outside hurlers nowadays.

But Counties down in the Nicky Rackard like Louth or Donegal would rely on guards and teachers from Hurling counties to make up the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Thoughts?

It's not an option and won't be any time soon. The gap between the top teams and those in the lower tiered competitions is vast. Well-established second tier teams like Westmeath and Laois and Kerry struggle against the top Liam McCarthy teams when they play them, yet any of them would wallop teams in the Nicky Rackard and Lory Meagher competitions.

It's actually hard to imagine a game between Galway and Sligo or Kilkenny and Longford, it would be like putting your local sunday morning soccer team up against a top professional side. That's no disrespect to those teams, it's just the reality of the massive gulf that's there.

The tiered structure in hurling is working well in giving teams meaningful games at their own level. As for Offaly, they've been in decline for a good number of years and if they have to lick their wounds in the JMcD Cup for a season then fair enough, they haven't been good enough and don't deserve any special treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

when are they introducing it in the football?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

slegs wrote: »
    If Offaly were good enough they would have stayed up. If they become good enough they will get back. It’s the basic premise of promotion and relegation

And if Offaly had stayed up then we would be having the same conversation about Dublin. Something not right about the new Leinster championship format, they are trying to make the new format work just so they can make the ideal number of teams fit.

Hopefully Offaly can bounce back, they had a tough run of games this year and probably didn’t focus enough on their main game (Dublin). Hurling needs teams like Offaly who bring enthusiastic long term fans / great community spirt among the hurling clubs (incl youth). On the plus for hurling at least their football is going even worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Hurling Rankings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Could we not have a cup and a league? The cup would mean we have a pure knock out championship exactly like what the All Ireland use to be. Smaller teams would ship awful beatings BUT at least might create some exposure for them.
    Then you could have a league similar to what we have now but tweaked for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Thoughts?

Weaker counties need better coaches. These could be recruited from counties with a strong tradition in winning. It would be quite expensive but it would not be a long term cost to the GAA. A year or two of good coaching at senior level should bring about the culture shift needed in the weaker counties.

What about a team ulster or team Connacht?

Weaker counties need better coaches. These could be recruited from counties with a strong tradition in winning. It would be quite expensive but it would not be a long term cost to the GAA. A year or two of good coaching at senior level should bring about the culture shift needed in the weaker counties.

You are right but the turn over of players for weaker counties each year is crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Deiseen

C__MC wrote: »
    What about a team ulster or team Connacht?
    I always thought about this. Surely two extra competitive teams could invigorate the championship?

• Advertisement

Advertisement