Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

A majority here want services cut??? Presenter pay should be cut, not services. So they want less from RTE for what they pay for.

That is very Irish indeed.

A majority want presenters pay cut from what I've read.
    Wouldn't amount to much if they did,but on principle they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I agree.

But those that want RTE scrapped should consider what the alternative is.

We know what the alternative is. It's TV3. 80% + of TV3 programs are British. They had "Good Morning Britain" on for goodness sake a while back.

It's not an exaggeration to say that without RTE almost all television programs in the Republic of Ireland would be UK programs. That's hardly desirable in a country that is not suppose to be in the United Kingdom.

Obviously Ireland is a small market and we need to be realistic but i'd like to see more homegrown stuff (not only RTE by the way, tv3 is worse).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

I agree.

But those that want RTE scrapped should consider what the alternative is.

We know what the alternative is. It's TV3. 80% + of TV3 programs are British. They had "Good Morning Britain" on for goodness sake a while back.

It's not an exaggeration to say that without RTE almost all television programs in the Republic of Ireland would be UK programs. That's hardly desirable in a country that is not suppose to be in the United Kingdom.

Obviously Ireland is a small market and we need to be realistic but i'd like to see more homegrown stuff (not only RTE by the way, tv3 is worse).[/quote]
    How much of RTE's programming is imported?

Quite a sizable amount. And the programs that aren't tend to be bastions of nepotism.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Red_Wake wrote: »
    How much of RTE's programming is imported?

Quite a sizable amount. And the programs that aren't tend to be bastions of nepotism.

I agree and think it should change.

I'm just saying that without RTE the situation would be total saturation of British programming. That's fine if that is what people want.

I think we should make a better effort at homegrown programming and unfortunately the only decent attempts can come from RTE.

Can't see private channels putting in those resources.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

They'd argue that they make a profit from that, which allows them to pay for domestic content, or that it attracts viewers, whom they can then show domestic content.

It is a problem for RTE that it is neither fish nor fowl: it is 2 commercial TV stations kept afloat by public service broadcast funding while dreaming of staying at or near the top of the ratings. Having a tighter organisation focused on public service broadcasting would be better but Montrose will never go for it when it can stay in the style to which it has become accustomed by selling bits of its D4 campus and
    piling more tax on viewers.

TG4 don't have the same problem, they know they'll never get huge figures so they just go ahead and make public service broadcasting on a tighter budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Provided they do it well that’s ok. I have no interest in the reality dancing or weight losss nonsense, but the property shows on RTE are ok.

Daniel and Magella, not normally my cup of tea, are entertaining enough.

RTÉ: yeah, let’s pay loads to show Eastenders at the same time the BBC show it, but with a commercial break in the middle...

Here's an hour long episode of Eastenders with a day in the middle.

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    Here's an hour long episode of Eastenders with a day in the middle.

Sorry, here's an hour long episode of Eastenders with a day in the middle.

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/tv/2701482/rte-eastenders-monday-june-18/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Reduce it to one TV station.

Here is a daily sample of what RTE should be showing on that one station.

7am - 9am - Children's programming. An outlet for talent development. Like the Den of old. Basically, off the wall type stuff.

9am - 1pm A 'Sunday Brunch'/Morning Ireland type show. Two presenters who discuss live whatever daily goings on there happens to be. Someone cooking, someone interviewed, all the latest stuff from online. Get young people experienced as researchers on it.

1pm - The News

Afternoon fillers - The likes of the usual suspects like Room to Improve, At Your Service, Ear to the Ground, Operation Transformation i.e. the Irish-centric versions of international shows.

7pm - 8.30pm - Nationwide. Extend the format as it is to be longer. Incorporate elements like the old 'Hands' documentaries. This would be a roving report on interesting aspects of Irish life.

8:30 - 9 - Scrap Fair City and have an annual drama series from September to May. One year say a police drama, the next a murder mystery, the next, a historical drama, a legal thriller, a crime drama etc. Changing it up annually to develop writing, acting talent. The same cast and writers could be kept on. This would be the equivalent of a theatre company. It might be critically mauled but it would be infinitely better than Fair City.

9-9:30 - Evening News

9:30 -10.00 - Prime Time. Politics, investigative journalism etc.

10 - 10:30 - This would be the slot for something like 'The Cutting Edge'. A round the table debate on issues of the day.

10:30 - 11:30 - After the seriousness of the above, the light entertainment comes with 'The Late Show' i.e. the Irish version of the US night time talk shows. Pre-recorded in the previous afternoon e.g. it get's recorded at 5pm on a Wednesday but get's shown the following night. This allows for flexibility to allow booking 'marquee' guests here to promo their latest gigs. Get rid of the Late Late but have a 'live' version on Saturday Nights as is. The Late, Late as it stands is the equivalent of spreading little butter over too much bread. You'd have a guest, a band, a comedian etc.

11:30 - 12 - Perhaps documentaries about a variety of subjects. Maths, Popular Science, History, Religion etc. All home produced.

You'd have the intermittent events like International matches etc but the above schedule would be a template for daily programming during the week. No need for a second station and they can still have adverts to generate revenue.

No filling time slots with imports, the focus would be on one TV station alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I don't really see the issue with shows like this. The same could be said about the British shows, in that they're just imitating American shows but with British people.

Rather than just get rid of the shows altogether, we need to determine if they are viable. As in are they getting the ratings and subsequent revenue from advertising that justify their production?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Fun fact No.1 The two RTE Orchestras cost 12 million a year to run
    Fun fact No.2 RTE dropped the Premier League highlights which were watched by 300,000 people on Saturdays. The cost of the highlights was 500,000 a year.
    Fun fact No.3 Channel 4 produces award winning documentaries and has a staff of 200. RTE does not and has a staff of 2,000

Proof, if even needed, that RTE exists only to serve its overbloated staff numbers and salaries and not the public who pay the license. Pony up and quit yer moaning people !

Where did you come up with you Channel 4 figures, as a group

They have good news a couple of of good programmes and the rest is a bag of ****e

Multiple channels all showing repeats

staff of nearly 800, a billion in revenue, spending more than rtes entire budget on regional programming only

675million sterling spent on content

For Come dine with me, first dates, 24 hours in A&e, the Simpsons, Hollyoaks

That's what people watch

Sure they could just go out and take in some classical music if they get bored

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Joe Duffy.

Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Rte should be means tested by an outside source and penalised for any nepotism. They should only show Irish made programming and cut out the advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

RTE doesn't really fear a public backlash or public discontent over any of this.
    They will continue to stick their fingers up at us because they are protected.

With a number of referendum questions coming up for vote soon; how about an opportunity by the people of Ireland to decide whether or not to support this outrageously and ostentatiously run money pit of an organisation.

• Advertisement

and yet you call for the culling of the Orchestras, make up your mind man

This is them doing both

They are their to produce both low brow, middle brow and high brow, you are just making it up

look at the BBC, they do both and are fully public funded

I suppose you find the likes of baking shows to be culturally enlightening

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

look at the BBC, they do both and are fully public funded
    Sure MB, but their population is over sixteen times ours so their funding is massive by comparison. Though I do take your point. RTE's own productions are rarely of decent enough quality, the good stuff is almost exclusively produced by outside independent production companies. I reckon you could reduce the internal staffing of RTE by a helluva lot and siphon the money saved into independents and get better programming for it.

Me, I gave up on the telly a good while ago. Just got rid, signed the "Feck off, I don't have a telly" form. Job done. Most of what appears to be the popular(though I have my doubts) stuff is no interest to me. IE soaps, talent shows, the Ray D'Arcy how the fcuk is he on the telly show dating shows, the Tubirdy ego show, humiliating fat people for ratings and the like. I'm not into sport so no loss for me there. The vast majority of stuff I might want to watch I can get online through Netflix etc. I'm happy to pay for that. I'd likely be happy to pay for a channel streaming independently produced Irish material too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Sure MB, but their population is over sixteen times ours so their funding is massive by comparison. Though I do take your point. RTE's own productions are rarely of decent enough quality, the good stuff is almost exclusively produced by outside independent production companies. I reckon you could reduce the internal staffing of RTE by a helluva lot and siphon the money saved into independents and get better programming for it.

Me, I gave up on the telly a good while ago. Just got rid, signed the "Feck off, I don't have a telly" form. Job done. Most of what appears to be the popular(though I have my doubts) stuff is no interest to me. IE soaps, talent shows, the Ray D'Arcy how the fcuk is he on the telly show dating shows, the Tubirdy ego show, humiliating fat people for ratings and the like. I'm not into sport so no loss for me there. The vast majority of stuff I might want to watch I can get online through Netflix etc. I'm happy to pay for that. I'd likely be happy to pay for a channel streaming independently produced Irish material too.

I think you missed my point.

Some of their stuff is unparalleled. They are the best public service broadcaster. RTE is sh*te in comparison for obvious reasons.

1. Budget
    2. Use of budget

But they also produce masterchef and baking (now gone to C4) programs for the masses

They even have different channels for each audience, if a documentary is on BBC1 it's dog excrement to me, but some people like it

But that is what the public want and that's what they get.

And they have the proms and orchestras because they are too expensive and unpopular to float on their own but are culturally worth having, despite what the proles say.

RTE do produce programming of as good a quality as anyone, the Waterways programs come to mind and Podge and Rodge

say no more

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Kivaro wrote: »
    RTE doesn't really fear a public backlash or public discontent over any of this.
    They will continue to stick their fingers up at us because they are protected.

With a number of referendum questions coming up for vote soon; how about an opportunity by the people of Ireland to decide whether or not to support this outrageously and ostentatiously run money pit of an organisation.

As much as i hate RTE i also really hate this call for referendum for everything under the sun people don't like.

Referendum are for changing our constitution, there is nothing about a national broadcaster in our constitution nor should there ever be so a referendum on RTE makes no sense.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

VinLieger wrote: »
    As much as i hate RTE i also really hate this call for referendum for everything under the sun people don't like.

Referendum are for changing our constitution, there is nothing about a national broadcaster in our constitution nor should there ever be so a referendum on RTE makes no sense.

Maybe we should have a referendum to add RTE to the constitution, then we can have another referendum to abolish them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

RTE do produce programming of as good a quality as anyone, the Waterways programs come to mind and Podge and Rodge

say no more
    Actually Waterways was one of those external production companies I mentioned, so they had little to do with it beyond commissioning it. The vast majority of their quality output, nature, travelogue, arts, drama is and has been externally sourced.

And my point re the BBC still stands, they get in five odd billion in revenue, RTE gets in what, three to four hundred million? Yes the BBC produces incredible quality programming, much of it again from independents, one of the best on the planet, but that kinda cash coming in really helps. Plus because of its far larger population and a very long history in media the UK has an enormous well of audiovisual talent to draw from. Think on it this way the greater metropolitan area of Birmingham isn't far off the whole population of Ireland, so the fact that some of the home produced stuff can be of any quality is pretty impressive.

Don't get me wrong, I still think RTE is an extremely bloated inefficient example of old style civil service thinking and needs culling and no mistake, but we could have a national broadcaster worth talking about for a lot less money and more money aimed in the right directions. Personally I'd reduce the whole thing to pretty much a commissioning body, with existing studio space that could be rented/loaned out to independents. In the TV end anyway.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

They're popular kind of programmes and presumably make a few quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Assuming it's Irish, at least teh B&B one creates Irish jobs in production, make up, crew, catering and on and on - jobs that develop the industry in this country. And even if they're brutal, they can be licenced out to other countries for money (lyrics board went to 20+ countries and that was woeful), or at least mean those making them will have more experience when doing so next time as often in film you need to be bad until you get good, fail forwards, etc etc.

In the case of neighbours it's just taking taxpayer money and mailing it straight off to another country. I don't mind the very odd, bargain basement cost show (to buy in) filling some gaps here or there, but the level to which RTE do this is nothing short of spitting in the face of the Irish taxpayer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Wibbs wrote: »

While I agree with the sentiments here Wibbs, the problem is that - unless you want to watch everything on a laptop/tablet screen - you still need a physical TV, especially if you want something 40" or larger.

Yes, there are monitors that big, but they're generally very expensive, lack a lot of the TV-focused options (multiple HDMI, suitable refresh rates and resolutions, SmartTV apps for Netflix etc) and of course, speakers and a remote control.

There's also the upcoming plan to make you pay (again!) for your Netflix viewing when they introduce this Broadcast/Internet Tax (noting that you ALSO already pay VAT on your Internet sub too of course! Pay three times!)

Those who don't want RTE an genuinely don't watch/use it, shouldn't have to subsidise it - certainly not at the current charges and for the current content. In the modern TV era that means making it available through Pay TV platforms only (Sky, Virgin etc), and subscription-locked streaming options.

But this being Ireland, it'll never happen so we will indeed pay at least twice for something an increasing number of us don't even want/use.

Advertisement