Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Renua call for Alliance of Pro Life Candidates

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You have to love the whole persecution thing :

We will not be silenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Oh pi$$ off. Seriously? The country has spoken, move on! Don't like it, move!! That's how democracy works! I respect everyone's right to vote whatever way they did at the referendum, but this sh1t pi$$es me off to no end. I never had respect for the public campaigning No side because of similar carry on before the referendum, and now they come out with this? Someone ought to remind them what a democracy is!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I fully expect this to lead renua to a fiftyfold increase in their representation in the Oireachtas, making them just as irrelevant as they are today.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

jaxxx wrote: »
    Oh pi$$ off. Seriously? The country has spoken, move on! Don't like it, move!! That's how democracy works! I respect everyone's right to vote whatever way they did at the referendum, but this sh1t pi$$es me off to no end. I never had respect for the public campaigning No side because of similar carry on before the referendum, and now they come out with this? Someone ought to remind them what a democracy is!

I haven't followed this much but it is fully democratic for them to campaign on an issue or revisit an issue regardless of the outcome of the referendum. Are you saying it can never be brought up again? Seems pretty undemocratic to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I haven't followed this much but it is fully democratic for them to campaign on an issue or revisit an issue regardless of the outcome of the referendum. Are you saying it can never be brought up again? Seems pretty undemocratic to me

Where exactly did I say or even imply that? Seems to me you're assuming an awful lot without any form of base whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

gctest50 wrote: »
    You have to love the whole persecution thing :

People aren't silencing them, theyre IGNORING their ignorant BS.

Pretty clear difference there Renua. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

Renua, the party who campaigned last time on a we are absolutely not a pro life party, honest. All types of views here, as long as they match Declan ganleys

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

jaxxx wrote: »

The people voted to allow parliment decide abortion legislation so it makes sense that pro life leaning parlimantirians work together to get their point across.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Jesus Renua are really living up to that bullsh!t party name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Love some of the signatories- Jimmy Saville...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The people voted to allow parliment decide abortion legislation so it makes sense that pro life leaning parlimantirians work together to get their point across.

But they don't have any parliamentarians. And won't have any by the time legislation comes to the Dáil in September

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It ll be interesting to see how renua get on in the next ge, but it's looking like Ireland is moving on from this type of conservatism

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    It ll be interesting to see how renua get on in the next ge, but it's looking like Ireland is moving on from this type of conservatism
    I'd expect another shut-out in all honesty.

I'd expect another shut-out in all honesty.

I suspect you could be right, would this be a sign of Ireland truly moving on?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,244 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I thought they were gone already?

Gintonious wrote:
    I thought they were gone already?

Nope, gotta respect their persistence

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

gctest50 wrote: »

I have a very good friend in Rome named Dr. Ballsack McGeebag.

it makes sense that pro life leaning parlimantirians work together to get their point across.

Yes, but this is Renua, not parliamentarians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

But they don't have any parliamentarians. And won't have any by the time legislation comes to the Dáil in September

Yes, but there would be a number of pro-life TDs in the Dáil. It makes sense that Renua would try to organise around the issue that was the raison d'etre for the party's creation; at the very least, it has gotten us talking about them again.

But they don't have any parliamentarians. And won't have any by the time legislation comes to the D in September

But they can still organise around it.

Parliment is where abortion legislation will be made going forward, the bill that will be presented this is year is only the bill that will be presented this year, other bills can be tabled, this year and in other years, remember Clare Daley tried to bring in an abortion bill for debate that was deemed unconstitutional ?, Well that's not the case anymore, bills on abortion will be consitutional and can be debated and legislated on by the Dail.

This will rumble and rumle and rumble on and on and on and on.

No, it really won't.

A bill will be introduced to legalize abortion - we know what will be in it because the Government told us before the referendum.

It will pass.

That will be the end of it.

Renua can organize around the issue all they like - they will lose just like they did last time.

No, it really won't.

A bill will be introduced to legalize abortion - we know what will be in it because the Government told us before the referendum.

It will pass.

Renua can organize around the issue all they like - they will lose just like they did last time.

i actually think fr tod has a point, the no campaign will not stop, they are determined, and will use all methods available to them to undermine this decision

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Can’t see too many TDs no matter what their views on abortion getting involved with renua certainly not if they want reelection

No, it really won't.

It will pass.

You don't seem to understand the outcome of the referendum last month.

It gave the Dail the power to legislate on abortion.

Therefore the place to lobby for and against abortion is now Dail Eireann.

It doesn't matter what bill is passed this year, a new one, with new rules, can be introduced by this or another government at any time.

It doesn't matter what bill is passed this year, a new one, with new rules, can be introduced by this or another government at any time.

They could be, but they won't be.

The politicians on the Yes side will pass the bill they signalled, claim victory, and move on.

Politicians on the No side like Mattie McGrath will mount some token opposition and then move on.

The No diehards like Iona, Cóir, whatever the Sherlocks are calling themselves this week - they will organize and lobby and hold 50 people marches and so on - but none of them are in the Dáil. The nearest they have is Mullen in the Senate (for now).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Renua are surely circling the political drain at this stage, and this latest stunt is presumably to cling on to some degree of relevance in the public discourse.

Thing is, while recent history clearly demonstrated the abortion debate to be contentious and heated, the public spoke quite definitively and I just can't see that 33% of the voting public, supposedly 'left behind', suddenly abandoning their broader political ideals in favour of a single issue like abortion. While not being an expert on them, I suspect Renua are overestimating the depth of feeling here: sure, in the US it's not unknown for candidates to run purely on a platform of being (almost aggressively) anti-abortion, but it feels fair to suggest the average Irish voter is a touch more educated, and more inclined to focus on pertinent issues like schools, jobs, taxation, post-Brexit plans, etc. at the next election - issues that tend to drive most discussions. Maybe they're hoping to pick up some folks' 3rd / 4th choices...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,083 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

While I appreciate this is somewhat counter - intuitive, I welcome the advent of a pro life / pro social conservative party forming and running on an open and transparent platform covering those issues. The situation that existed up to 2012 was that conservative groupings aggressively lobbied politicians and parties across the spectrum and politicians believed that the appetite for change on topics like SSM and abortion was consequently limited amongst the electorate.

Renua were keen to play down their pro life credentials leading up to the last election eventhough their gestation as a political entity was directly linked to the matter.

Those of us of a liberal bent should want this to happen, for it will mean that we have conservative lobbying focused and funneled through a clear electoral choice. My feeling is that such a party will only ever be minority in nature, and it will signpost its political intentions. If you want Ireland to be progressive this is what you want, as it sure beats the old situation of most of the major parties feeling obliged to signal conservative intent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    While I appreciate this is somewhat counter - intuitive, I welcome the advent of a pro life / pro social conservative party forming and running on an open and transparent platform covering those issues. The situation that existed up to 2012 was that conservative groupings aggressively lobbied politicians and parties across the spectrum and politicians believed that the appetite for change on topics like SSM and abortion was consequently limited amongst the electorate.

Renua were keen to play down their pro life credentials leading up to the last election eventhough their gestation as a political entity was directly linked to the matter.

Those of us of a liberal bent should want this to happen, for it will mean that we have conservative lobbying focused and funneled through a clear electoral choice. My feeling is that such a party will only ever be minority in nature, and it will signpost its political intentions. If you want Ireland to be progressive this is what you want, as it sure beats the old situation of most of the major parties feeling obliged to signal conservative intent.

We're now in a position however where the leaders of all the major parties appear to have realised how much the voting pool leads the establishment on these issues. As such these conservative lobbyists and whoever is bankrolling them are unlikely to be able to run the same three card trick into the future.

On the other hand with the fractured nature of the party set up at the moment it's very easy to imagine a situation where ten years down the line a well organised but niche uber-conservative party could hold the balance of power even with a small number of seats.

This happening at an inopportune moment could have totally disproportionate results, as can be seen with our poor neighbours being forced inexorably over a cliff by a small cohort of DUP wingnuts.

Advertisement