Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body & Soul Festival 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Still haven't bought a ticket but seeing the stage times & final lineup haven't exactly inspired me to make a purchase.. Definitely the most low profile lineup the festival has had in a while, although I have been lazy in terms of research. Sickened one of few acts I really wanted to see is at 5pm on Friday and I can't make it up until after work. I'd say I will wait to see the forecast for the weekend before buying one.

Anyone any recommendations to make on the main stage/midnight circus?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Whipping Boy

Still haven't bought a ticket but seeing the stage times & final lineup haven't exactly inspired me to make a purchase.. Definitely the most low profile lineup the festival has had in a while, although I have been lazy in terms of research. Sickened one of few acts I really wanted to see is at 5pm on Friday and I can't make it up until after work. I'd say I will wait to see the forecast for the weekend before buying one.

Who's at 5 - Gundelach? Any use?

I was the same but having done some digging I'm really enjoying:

Son Lux, Chronixx, WhoMadeWho and Susanne Sundfor.

Shame have been top of my list since their Whelan's gig too.

I do think this is a festival where the line-up matters the least though, wandering around the forest is still the best craic regardless of who's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

I'm doing this too, just decided I'd like to go but only if they weather is ok and can pick up a cheap ticket as I won't be able to hang around all week with work commitments

Who's at 5 - Gundelach? Any use?

I was the same but having done some digging I'm really enjoying:

Son Lux, Chronixx, WhoMadeWho and Susanne Sundfor.

Shame have been top of my list since their Whelan's gig too.

I do think this is a festival where the line-up matters the least though, wandering around the forest is still the best craic regardless of who's on.

Yeah Gundelach is nice gave him a listen when the lineup came out. True, it is a great festival just to enjoy and be with friends but if the forecast isn't good that really impacts on it, more than at most festivals I feel..

Started working on a clashfinder if anyone wants a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

nice one FB :)

• Advertisement

Had to guess some of the 'til close times... as far as I can remember the absolute bar went on a lot later than 4 one or two nights.

I think when they brought out the official pdf/image schedule thing in previous years, they showed when the stages finished.
    hopefully they'll put up some better official times than the IT list, the last 2 acts on the Woodlands being lumped in together is odd. not much use if you want to catch the second of them! your guesses are probably pretty on the money though!

I'll try help out with it later if there's any of them left.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Whipping Boy

Yeah Gundelach is nice gave him a listen when the lineup came out. True, it is a great festival just to enjoy and be with friends but if the forecast isn't good that really impacts on it, more than at most festivals I feel..

Started working on a clashfinder if anyone wants a look.

Will check him out so and fair play on the CF!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hugeglobe

Still early days but the long-term weather forecast isn't looking too good. Rain the whole week leading up to the weekend. Let's hope it changes.

https://weather.com/en-IE/weather/tenday/l/64e424b5f5052cc00e350896f32e554ebcb03bd16e2eaf586c12c26bf3f992f7

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

hugeglobe wrote: »
    Still early days but the long-term weather forecast isn't looking too good. Rain the whole week leading up to the weekend. Let's hope it changes.

https://weather.com/en-IE/weather/tenday/l/64e424b5f5052cc00e350896f32e554ebcb03bd16e2eaf586c12c26bf3f992f7

Was like that last year too and we ended up getting cracking weather.

Hopefully we'll fair well again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

The line-up on Friday and Sunday looking great music wise, but my Saturday ( bar Jon Hopkins) not so much.

Any good recommendations for the Saturday?

I'm thinking Smerz & RSAG in the Midnight Circus and Shamir & Baxter Dury on the Main Stage.

Gus Dapperton is worth a listen too.

Only listened to this for the first time last week and I'm quite enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The line-up on Friday and Sunday looking great music wise, but my Saturday ( bar Jon Hopkins) not so much.

Any good recommendations for the Saturday?

I'm thinking Smerz & RSAG in the Midnight Circus and Shamir & Baxter Dury on the Main Stage.

Yeah I agree with RSAG, he is definitely worth checking out, Slow Place Like Home are worth a gawk on the Woodlands stage 9.15 - 10 PM. Fish Go Deep closing the Absolut bar, Donal dineen playing early Saturday afternoon (Absolut bar). I recommend going to see Abandoman at the Vodafone Comedy tent between 7 - 7.40 pm. Also I noticed the brilliant shanachie from Kerry Eddie Lenihan, amazing story teller is performing at the Bulmer's stage at 2.15 - 3 PM. Shookrah are playing Wonderlust stage at 9.10 - 9.50 PM. So some music, comedy and funny story telling to fill yer Saturday.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Cloudy day in Portugal, so I put an app together:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.pablosoft.bands2018

Thanks for the clashfinder :)

Android only, maybe iPhone next week if the weather does not improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Heiser

Disappointing Hopkins is only playing for an hour and in the midnight circus so I presume he won't have his visuals like he would if he was on the main stage?

Few of my friends are backing out for various reasons, if the weather is to bad I might do the same. Just not as pushed as I've been in previous years

Heiser wrote: »
    Disappointing Hopkins is only playing for an hour and in the midnight circus so I presume he won't have his visuals like he would if he was on the main stage?

Few of my friends are backing out for various reasons, if the weather is to bad I might do the same. Just not as pushed as I've been in previous years

Do you not mean James Holden, he is closing the Midnight Circus on Sunday night. Jon Hopkins is closing the Body & Soul main stage on the early hours of Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I just realised this is in 2 weeks and I don't have a list of acts I want to see apart from Hopkins but luckily for me there is a Spotify playlist! I had it on in the car today and James Holden sounds good but not much else jumped out at me. Son Lux sounds interesting. Any other recommendations?

MadYaker wrote: »
    I just realised this is in 2 weeks and I don't have a list of acts I want to see apart from Hopkins but luckily for me there is a Spotify playlist! I had it on in the car today and James Holden sounds good but not much else jumped out at me. Son Lux sounds interesting. Any other recommendations?

if you like Grimes, Smerz are like a weirder, more electronic version

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

If anyone is wondering what kind of dj set Olof Dreijer will be playing this is a good example
    https://soundcloud.com/truants/truancy-volume-204-olof-dreijer

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭charlietully

still havnt got campervan ticket sent out, anyone else got theirs yet or whats the story with it?

MadYaker wrote: »

Well if you like the sorta stuff Hopkins and Holden is doing you are gonna like Mano Le Tough, Panthu Du Prince, Daithi and of course, Fever Ray and thats just some of the electronica stuff, it more a festival of discovery too, getting into or discovering new sounds. Just follow your heart with the sounds and it should be alright. :)

Well if you like the sorta stuff Hopkins and Holden is doing you are gonna like Mano Le Tough, Panthu Du Prince, Daithi and of course, Fever Ray and thats just some of the electronica stuff, it more a festival of discovery too, getting into or discovering new sounds. Just follow your heart with the sounds and it should be alright. :)

Bearcubs is another one for the electronica front.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Peterd66

Fever Ray leaving me cold and unexicited, despite numerous listens.

Think the Sunday bill has been loaded to sell day tickets.

Looks like they are having problems selling tickets and getting volunteers as well, based on number of tweets.

Hope they are ok, great festival but they need to bring in a few more popular headliners in line with the alternative vibe in future years to help move the tickets.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Peterd66 wrote: »

Looks like they are having problems selling tickets and getting volunteers as well, based on number of tweets.

Hope they are ok, great festival but they need to bring in a few more popular headliners in line with the alternative vibe in future years to help move the tickets.

P.

They've been looking for volunteers since day 1. For people to volunteer you need a good lineup that the volunteer wants to see that they otherwise couldn't afford to buy a ticket for.

Aside from Shame, a couple of Irish acts and Fever Ray i'd not bother. But Shame are a spectacle.

Did it do well last year?

Yeah I agree with RSAG, he is definitely worth checking out, Slow Place Like Home are worth a gawk on the Woodlands stage 9.15 - 10 PM. Fish Go Deep closing the Absolut bar, Donal dineen playing early Saturday afternoon (Absolut bar). I recommend going to see Abandoman at the Vodafone Comedy tent between 7 - 7.40 pm. Also I noticed the brilliant shanachie from Kerry Eddie Lenihan, amazing story teller is performing at the Bulmer's stage at 2.15 - 3 PM. Shookrah are playing Wonderlust stage at 9.10 - 9.50 PM. So some music, comedy and funny story telling to fill yer Saturday.

Thanks Bodhrandude. I'd definitely be interested in seeing Eddie Lenihan - something a bit different.

Someone else recommended Ashley Beedle at the Absolut Bar on the Saturday at 9PM.

Tseghue at 9.45PM at the Main Stage is the act I'm most looking forward to now.
    Paris-based Afro pop/punk group - Will be doing some serious dancing

That's what I love about B&S. I would never have come across them day-to-day otherwise.

And I've discovered so many acts in the past that I still listen to regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hugeglobe

Peterd66 wrote: »

P.

Agreed. They've been pushing the volunteer opps very hard on Instagram as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MiniFridgeMen

This is a sort of plan in mind for the weekend, of course, there will be lots of wandering in between and I might not see any of these haha

Friday -
    Gundelach (First act on, 17.00 Midnight Circus, be rude not to)
    Bearcubs
    Faka (Just the start so I can catch AVAVAV)
    AVAVAV
    Fatima Al Qadiri/Tshegue, (Not sure which one yet, could actually catch the start of one and the end of the other with how the timetable is)
    Fever Ray/R.Kitt (I'm the only one of my friends who seems to like Fever, so strong chance i'll be at R.Kitt)
    Olof Dreijer/Mix & Fairbanks (Going to try swing both, if i can only have one it'll be Olof)

Saturday -
    MORNING GLORY DISCO BRUNCH (I mean, how could you not)
    Not sure what to do for the 2pm-8pm shift on Saturday, would love any advice regarding this
    Shamir/Smerz (Literally will be a coin toss between who I see)
    Ashley Beedle/Shookrah (Depends on mood, something dancey AB, something more chilled then Shookrah)
    Gus Dapperton/Bon Voyage
    Apollonia Tribal Dance
    Arca
    Jon Hopkins/Tank and the Bangas (I'm so torn here, I don't know which to pick)
    Fish Go Deep
    Mother DJ's

Sunday -
    Might do House of Yoga depending on hangover
    Daithi
    Soulé
    Tommy Tiernan
    Reckless in love stage (Mano Le Tough etc)
    Get Down Edits
    Maybe James Holden ?

Of course this is a rough idea, plenty of clashes so not well though out, if anyone can fix my clashes that would be sound haha

Any advice as to another acts to see, especially on Saturday where I have a six hour gap would be great as well

Advertisement