Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v Waltzing Matilda, test 1 build up thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Buer wrote: »
    Bit of a bizarre team to pick for the opening test. Looks like Schmidt is trying to really build towards the RWC and is giving a number of Leinster guys who were heavily involved in recent weeks a rest.

If they need the rest, so be it. But I don't think that team is good enough to beat Australia.

I think that's a bit harsh.

Robdee is a pretty formidable centre partnership and the back 3 is that one that started all the Slam games.

It's still a pretty decent pack with 5-8 well able to give Murray an easy enough time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Yeah front row has me nervous and no Sexton making perfect decisions consistently.

Still a very good team though and it will be nice to see carbery take control from the start and see if it fits him at this level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

It would make sense to play Joey with the Starting backs, playing with the B side didn’t really work in AI

Maybe Sexton will play with the inexperienced sbacjs to help them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Anyone know what time and what TV channel this is going to be on?
    Might be handy to stick it on the OP. For those casual on lookers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Anyone know what time and what TV channel this is going to be on?
    Might be handy to stick it on the OP. For those casual on lookers

Sky 11am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Buer wrote: »

If they need the rest, so be it. But I don't think that team is good enough to beat Australia.

You obviously missed James Ryan's name in there Buer...

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭stl.ire

If Cummiskey’s team is correct there will be one hell of a bench at our disposal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

How hot will it be there on Saturday? That bench could start coming on at half time to give lads a rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    How hot will it be there on Saturday? That bench could start coming on at half time to give lads a rest.

Bit of over confidence if we think we can empty the bench at half time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Bit of over confidence if we think we can empty the bench at half time

It's been a long season for the Leinster players and to go into a few international games the opposite side of the world in 30+ degrees C is tough. I'm not talking about emptying the bench at half time but maybe 1 or 2 changes and the rest coming on from 50 mins up. It's not as if the guys coming on are inexperienced young guys. They will add more in a game like this than the usual subs who come on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Forecast looking like 20 degrees and sunny in Brisbane on Saturday.
    Not too bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭clsmooth

JS curve ball, but I like it. Only concern is Carbery nailing his kicks. Otherwise fairly happy with that team, good mix of experience and inexperience in key positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,023 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

stephen_n wrote: »
    Sky 11am

Will it be in 4K/Ultra HD by any chance ??

Always find it odd this is the end of the 2017/18 international season surely the season should end at the end of the six nations and start at the summer internationals ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Wallabies team to face Ireland

1. Scott Sio (43 Tests)

2. Brandon Paenga-Amosa*

3. Sekope Kepu (91 Tests)

4. Izack Rodda (4 Tests)

5. Adam Coleman (20 Tests)

6. David Pocock (66 Tests)

7. Michael Hooper (c) (79 Tests)

8. Caleb Timu*

9. Will Genia (88 Tests)

10. Bernard Foley (55 Tests)

11. Dane Haylett-Petty (18 Tests)

12. Kurtley Beale (71 Tests)

13. Samu Kerevi (18 Tests)

14. Marika Koroibete (8 Tests)

15. Israel Folau (62 Tests)

Reserves

16. Tolu Latu (4 Tests)

17. Allan Alaalatoa (23 Tests)

18. Taniela Tupou (1 Test)

19. Rob Simmons (82 Tests)

20. Lukhan Tui (4 Tests)

21. Pete Samu*

22. Nick Phipps (61 Tests)

23. Reece Hodge (24 Tests)

*denotes uncapped

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    So the predictions in the Times and Indo were spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Ireland:

15. Rob Kearney
    14. Keith Earls
    13. Robbie Henshaw
    12. Bundee Aki
    11. Jacob Stockdale
    10. Joey Carbery
    9. Conor Murray

1. Jack McGrath
    2. Rob Herring
    3. John Ryan
    4. Iain Henderson
    5. James Ryan
    6. Peter O’Mahony (captain)
    7. Jordi Murphy
    8. CJ Stander

Replacements:

16. Sean Cronin
    17. Cian Healy
    18. Tadhg Furlong
    19. Quinn Roux
    20. Jack Conan
    21. Kieran Marmion
    22. Johnny Sexton
    23. Jordan Larmour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Are people overstating the "weirdness" of this team? Really only Herring and Ryan are surprises, and if you're going to give as many people a start as possible then you have to spread them out across three tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Are people overstating the "weirdness" of this team? Really only Herring and Ryan are surprises, and if you're going to give as many people a start as possible then you have to spread them out across three tests.

Johnny Sexton not starting a test for Ireland despite being fit is absolutely a surprise and a departure from the norm.

Front row is entirely 2nd choice, despite our hooker and captain out.

Rest of it is pretty expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The Aussies are a young side too, only just together for the first time and will have prepared for Sexton starting. Ireland are likely to play a slightly different game with Carbery at 10 and the pack is a good one, the only real question mark being over John Ryan. But if he can deliver then our pack should def get on top and make life a lot easier on Joey.

I’m also not sure I agree with the “laying down a marker” idea. We need to make sure we are right going into the RWC. Right now that means ensuring we have depth. We’ve won big games away from home before. The gain from winning this series is less than the gain from getting the wider squad up to speed. Obviously we want both, but I think it’s right to prioritise the squad building at this stage. It is the right game to do it in too, as we might well be facing an undercooked and underprepared Aussie side.

I’d expected a full strength side and am a little disappointed we won’t see it. But I’m also excited to see what these guys can do as a XV. Roll on Saturday morning.

• Advertisement

Also, our bench is pretty awesome and is light years ahead of theirs. All the starting XV really need to do is stay in the game for 60 mins.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,251 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Australia going for a 6/2 bench split is very interesting.

Also, half of their 14 forwards named have less than 5 caps. Its quite an inexperienced aussie side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Quinn Roux on the bench is a surprise.

I see it now. I see what Joe is at, the massive troll.

Now that Carbery is gone to Munster he's looking to restart the ROG v Sexton debate again. He's even started insisting everyone call Carbery ROG.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

If it was 2nd test it would be more expected. Just weird to have some of the selections for test 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    If it was 2nd test it would be more expected. Just weird to have some of the selections for test 1.

I think it makes sense (with the benefit of living in the present) given you can take a lot of the pressure off the entire series by switching things up for game one, and also Australia are exactly the type of team you don't want to be playing when you're wrecked.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how they play. My prediction is that it'll be 17-12 after 60 minutes but then Larmour will come on and Ireland will win 17-47

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

molloyjh wrote: »
    The Aussies are a young side too, only just together for the first time and will have prepared for Sexton starting. Ireland are likely to play a slightly different game with Carbery at 10 and the pack is a good one, the only real question mark being over John Ryan. But if he can deliver then our pack should def get on top and make life a lot easier on Joey.

Barstooler question: Could Schmidt pull a last minute switcheroo right before kick-off, and start Sexton if he wanted?

With how technical rugby tactics can be and the minutiae of defensive preparations used to counter specific approaches it seems like it would be a really effective ploy. It's rife in gaelic games, to the point of farce.

Are changes possible (beyond injury)? Frowned upon? Fairly common and I just haven't noticed?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think that's a bit harsh.

Robdee is a pretty formidable centre partnership and the back 3 is that one that started all the Slam games.

It's still a pretty decent pack with 5-8 well able to give Murray an easy enough time.

I don't think it's harsh. The pack is seriously weakened. 1-10 is where we held the advantage in this series and we've given that up with this selection. John Ryan and Rob Herring aren't even second choice players and this is a huge jump for Carbery to a level he has never played in before.

I don't particularly have a problem with it. I'm very interested to see how it goes.

elefant wrote: »
    Barstooler question: Could Schmidt pull a last minute switcheroo right before kick-off, and start Sexton if he wanted?

With how technical rugby tactics can be and the minutiae of defensive preparations used to counter specific approaches it seems like it would be a really effective ploy. It's rife in gaelic games, to the point of farce.

Are changes possible (beyond injury)? Frowned upon? Fairly common and I just haven't noticed?

It would be very rare and would only happen due to injury. The only time I can think of someone being named without ever being likely to start was Rob Kearney under MOC. And even we (as in Leinster fans) weren’t happy about that. A tactical change like that won’t happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Scythica

Who is ahead of Herring if he isn't even 2nd choice?

The man is a good player, just doesn't make the headlines as much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement