Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Classic car respray

• 03-06-2018 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all.. really hoping for some good advice / recommendations. I’ve two Classic Minis, both in need of some bodywork and paint. I’ve had a some bad experiences with this type of work. Never found anyone who appreciates how much these cars mean, that they are a labour of love and not some random crash repair.

If anyone has a body shop/ panel beater / painter, they could recommend, I’m all ears. I’m in Dublin, but will travel. I’ve even been looking at places in the UK!

Thanks all

Bexie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Best of luck finding someone who even takes it on let alone does a good job for a reasonable rate.

Your average garage won't want the hassle or time needed to repair a classic properly when they can get 10 bumper jobs instead.

There are places in the uk and also here which seem to do good work but it will cost a fair amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 BexieB

I know , this seems to be the issue. I’m willing to pay for whatever time it takes, I’m not looking for a budget option, but there’s a distinct lack of understanding or interest in anything out of the ordinary.

Anyway, if anyone has any personal experience, that would be great. Having read through some of the posts, Bedford’s in Dundrum are recommended and have made my very short, short-list

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

If you're based in Dublin and are willing to pay then you should consider Dennings in Templeogue. It won't be cheap but they are excellent.

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    If you're based in Dublin and are willing to pay then you should consider Dennings in Templeogue. It won't be cheap but they are excellent.

They wouldn't take on a job I needed done earlier in the year. I was prepared to pay a premium for a good job but they still didn't want to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I could tell you who not to go to:(
    Most of the painters are crash repair trained, they don't seem to have the knowledge and experience of dealing with vintage rusty non-galvanized metal.
    About 5 years is the most I've ever got out of a paint job before it starts bubbling/cracking underneath and that's with being stored inside and only driven in dry weather.

• Advertisement

Neilw wrote: »
    They wouldn't take on a job I needed done earlier in the year. I was prepared to pay a premium for a good job but they still didn't want to do it.

God, that’s bad form.. was it a case of ‘we just can’t be bothered’? Did you find anyone eventually?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

hi5 wrote: »
    Most of the painters are crash repair trained, they don't seem to have the knowledge and experience of dealing with vintage rusty non-galvanized metal.
    About 5 years is the most I've ever got out of a paint job before it starts bubbling/cracking underneath and that's with being stored inside and only driven in dry weather.

Lots of them seem to think schultz is the answer for rusty metal:D

Cover it up, and away you go, out of site out of mind:D

And dont be expecting a guarantee either with most of them, its a quagmire

here for classic car repair. You need to get word of mouth recommendation

from someone who has had work done. I assume there is a Mini club in Ireland

they will point you in the right direction.

There is a chap based in the midlands who is a mini officianado and I have seen some of his cars which are immaculate, that he does all his own work on.

BexieB wrote: »
    God, that’s bad form.. was it a case of ‘we just can’t be bothered’? Did you find anyone eventually?

They mentioned it would take a lot of time to do and they work by the hour, I said I didn't mind once the job was done right. I asked for a quote which they never got back to me with.

Neilw wrote: »
    They mentioned it would take a lot of time to do and they work by the hour, I said I didn't mind once the job was done right. I asked for a quote which they never got back to me with.

I feel your pain, really hope you get it sorted

I understand the reluctance to offer a quote on some restorations.
    Its virtually impossible. Hence the hourly rate, and the possibility that the resto
    cost escalates way, way beyond what the owner thought it might.

And thats when the problems arise. So its safer from the restorers point of view
    to just blank refuse.Even though the owner says he will cover the hourly cost,
    things become problematic when he gets a bill that is multiples of what he had in his
    mind at the outset.

In such a case, offering a stripped shell might allow a restorer to come up with a quote.
    You dont know whats under paint until you start digging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

kadman wrote: »
    Its virtually impossible. Hence the hourly rate, and the possibility that the resto

And thats when the problems arise. So its safer from the restorers point of view
    things become problematic when he gets a bill that is multiples of what he had in his
    mind at the outset.

In such a case, offering a stripped shell might allow a restorer to come up with a quote.
    Thats all true but keeping a dialogue with the customer can help elevate any misunderstanding, when I got the fulvia done the cost was set out in stage payments based on an hourly rate and any nasty surprises were detailed as we went along. Obviously it ended up more rhan anticipated but that was clearly outlined at the start.

kadman wrote: »

mind at the outset.

It wasn't a full resto, just two hinges removed and new ones welded onto a door.
    A had a friend do it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Thats all true but keeping a dialogue with the customer can help elevate any misunderstanding, when I got the fulvia done the cost was set out in stage payments based on an hourly rate and any nasty surprises were detailed as we went along. Obviously it ended up more rhan anticipated but that was clearly outlined at the start.

Totally agree on the communication element, its the most important issue.

Everyone singing from the same hymn sheet.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

I know , this seems to be the issue.

God, that’s bad form..

No it isn't! Its got this way because of the amount of **** out there who simply don't realise the amount of work needed to get a good job done. Then they moan and bitch about the end result. The bodyshop guy cant win so he wont do the work. End of! Yer man Dennys in Templeogue can pic and choose what he wants to do as he gets so many requests and he has list of clients he keeps happy. Try Hannons crash repairs in Fassero, Co Wicklow. Aint cheap but does a good job. Sort of guy who wont take any **** from a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭kindalen

I have chatted a lad in Donegal, and another lad in Offaly, who both separately recommended Lyons garage in Co Clare for Classic Mini restorations.

I have had no personal dealings with them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

For bodywork, no idea, for paint, maybe these lads used to be in Leixlip; https://www.facebook.com/spiritdetail/

Never used them myself, but have seen a fair few classic shown on their page done nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

There is a Polish guy here in Fermoy that I would rate extremely high.
    I am unsure if he still is operating or not as he had to pack in his full time job recently due to heath issues.
    I could sound him out for you if you wish?

vectra wrote: »
    There is a Polish guy here in Fermoy that I would rate extremely high.
    I am unsure if he still is operating or not as he had to pack in his full time job recently due to heath issues.
    I could sound him out for you if you wish?

Thanks Vectra, that would be great.. I’ve got a good lead from GavFitz, fingers crossed that one. But I’ll take any lead going. And I would go to Cork if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Thanks Vectra, that would be great.. I’ve got a good lead from GavFitz, fingers crossed that one. But I’ll take any lead going. And I would go to Cork if needed

Hi BexieB

I contacted Bartosz.
    He actually is mostly doing restoration jobs at the moment but said some people do not appreciate the amount of work etc. that goes into them,
    I have his contact details so as you can get in touch with him and discuss.
    He is not cheap.
    But is 100% thorough.

He did a Project golf that turned out incredible.

I will message you his contact details.

314130_10151162055348872_1918056570_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=fd9a25d52b63f868042cc597577042e3&oe=5BB5D335

End result

31301400_10156396905738872_6071245364512423936_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=7dfd7359cb9605a3226090e2dfa58ae3&oe=5BB5518F

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Try Paul Hickey (Hickey Engineering). He looks after my minis

antodeco wrote: »
    Try Paul Hickey (Hickey Engineering). He looks after my minis

Thanks Antodeco

Do you know where he’s based? Online details are sketchy. Looks like he’d be a good man for any engine woes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

Classic Car Centre, Ferns, Co. Wexford. Established for a long time. Works on many high end classics..Jensen Interceptor FF, Porsche 911, Maserati, etc etc. You'll find them via google.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Silvera wrote: »
    Classic Car Centre, Ferns, Co. Wexford. Established for a long time. Works on many high end classics..Jensen Interceptor FF, Porsche 911, Maserati, etc etc. You'll find them via google.

Just Google" Mortgage advice".....:P

Guys want something for nothing..its ok saying "money no object" , its not for some people but generally it is...especially when you get the call that it needs new chassis rails etc....Sometimes its hard to swallow the "brain surgeon " hourly rates you get quoted.....but ATEOTD it really is the same thing to most classic owners...;)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thanks Antodeco

Do you know where he’s based? Online details are sketchy. Looks like he’d be a good man for any engine woes

Castlewarden exit on the N7. (think it's 1 exit after Kill). 5/10 minutes from Newcastle it you come via there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭jmreire

hi5 wrote: »
    Don't blame the panel beater's / spray painter's for impurities that were in the sheet metals used in the construction of old cars.....and which will out sooner or later. These were the standard of the day. To be really sure about respraying an older car, you would need to completely strip everything out of it, leaving only the metal. This would need to be examined very closely, and any area that looks like even remotely like having a rust problem, sandblasted down to shiny metal, and replaced as needed. Then it would need to be treated with sealers and primers before painting. After painting, all underbody and box / cavity sections sealed with a good anti-corrosion material. Then all the other parts ( Engine, Gearbox, seats, trim, electrics etc) replaced. As you can see, it's quite a lot of work to take on for an ordinary panel shop or garage. And given the amount of work involved, it's an expensive process. None the less, It's good to see some one trying to preserve these older cars. Good Luck with your project.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

kaizersoze wrote: »

I too can thoroughly recommend the above people. The time and care they take over classics is amazing. And they discuss everything, right down to the last flake of paint.

C635

Conway635 wrote: »
    I too can thoroughly recommend the above people. The time and care they take over classics is amazing. And they discuss everything, right down to the last flake of paint.

C635

Thanks a Million Conway, I’ve never come across these guys before. This thread had been an absolute god send.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pryantcc

I went to visit Dennings and came away unimpressed. I went to see them because they had done a nice Porsche I saw in Terenure one year. 
    Firstly, they were way to busy to put anything into customer care. They let me have a good look around a Ferrari they were doing. If it was my Ferrari, I would have been upset. The outer panels looked great, but anything else they had done like parts that couldn't be seen with door/boot/bonnet closed was all rough, dribbles and runs. Certainly not the kind of work I'd like to be charged a premium for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭jmreire

Don't be put off by what you have seen on the "Hidden Panel Interiors". All dribbles and runs mean is that there was plenty of paint put on... more paint = more protection. Trying to spray paint into the interiors of the panels is an awkward job, and trying to ensure that every cranny and crevice gets painted mean's that it's inevitable that there will be some runs and dribbles. For me, I would be more concerned if there was NO runs or dribbles..... Runs and dribbles on the exterior surfaces... now that's a different thing altogether...…..:)

Advertisement