Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic car respray

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭kdevitt

There shouldn’t be any runs in the paint full stop - I’ve never in my life heard anyone say they’d be concerned if they didn’t see runs. Runs in the door jambs, in around the engine bay are a massive no no. If you want to protect interior panels you put dinotrol or something on them, you don’t go nuts with the spray gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭jmreire

kdevitt wrote: »
    There shouldn’t be any runs in the paint full stop - I’ve never in my life heard anyone say they’d be concerned if they didn’t see runs. Runs in the door jambs, in around the engine bay are a massive no no. If you want to protect interior panels you put dinotrol or something on them, you don’t go nuts with the spray gun.

I am not speaking about runs and dribbles on ANY visible surfaces, anywhere on the car. That's a given.......But the internal non-visible surfaces are a different matter. Try spraying up inside the window runners on either side of a door, and down into the crevices where the door skins are welded to the door frame, plus there are many such inaccessible places inside the car, under the dash etc, that can be difficult to get enough paint on them. So, no I am not worried about internal out of sight runs and dribbles. To me, they indicate that plenty of paint has been sprayed on places which are out of sight, and it's these hidden areas that are more prone to rust and corrosion. Blemishes / rust which occur on the visible surfaces are quickly spotted and repaired.
    So yes, I am happy to see them. I have been in the paint business for more years that I care to think about, and this is my considered opinion. And believe me, I can spray, and without any runs or dribbles on the external visible surfaces, vertical or horizontal, to give a 100% factory finish. This is my professional opinion on the subject, and you are free to agree or disagree with it.

The OP mentioned runs on parts that couldn’t be seen with doors, bonnets closed - but they’re quite obviously visible with doors and bonnet open - you essentially said not to worry about it - on a Ferrari of all cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭jmreire

kdevitt wrote: »
    The OP mentioned runs on parts that couldn’t be seen with doors, bonnets closed - but they’re quite obviously visible with doors and bonnet open - you essentially said not to worry about it - on a Ferrari of all cars.

Copied from my post:
    "I am not speaking about runs and dribbles on ANY visible surfaces, anywhere on the car. That's a given.."

And it matters not one whit what make of car it is.

jmreire wrote: »
    Copied from my post:
    "I am not speaking about runs and dribbles on ANY visible surfaces, anywhere on the car. That's a given.."

That's from your reply to me - not your initial reply to the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Wouldn't be happy with dribbles of any sort, anywhere.
    If you know they're there then they're visible.

Advertisement